Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Secret Superstar: Dwayne Allen

Dustin

of course they like Allen better. I know that Fleener missed a few games but he didnt play very well. Allen did everything better including blocking. Fleener dropped balls or got out of his routes waaaaay too much. Still too soon to say but Fleener would be the bust out of an otherwise steller draft.

A draft pick spent on a receiver is not considered a bust till after 3 years.  Tony Gonzalez's first year- he had 33 catches with 2 TDs. 2nd year- 59 catches with 2 TDs. 3rd year- 76 catches with 11 TDs and his 1st pro bowl. I am not saying that Fleener will be a Gonzalez player, just showing it normally takes 3 years for a receiver to learn their position. 

I don't expect us to have Fleener man blocking this year. He's just not strong enough for it. The most I wanna see him blocking is if he's gonna chip a DE to help our Tackles a bit. Other than that, I want him as our receiving TE where he got his rep from

Have a little faith in our coaches and strength trainers. It's not like Fleener can't be coached up and also gain a lot of strength through conditioning and hard work. 

I don't expect us to have Fleener man blocking this year. He's just not strong enough for it. The most I wanna see him blocking is if he's gonna chip a DE to help our Tackles a bit. Other than that, I want him as our receiving TE where he got his rep from

Fleener and Allen both had 27 bech reps pre-draft, he is plenty strong enough. His issue is more technique based, he could do with setting himself better to block, but his downfield blocking was actually very good last year when he could use his momentum effectively.

If and I expect when Cunningham makes the team,we will have a great physical back up who can also catch the ball   :thmup:

I agree Jay.....Allen brings a tude, and so does Cunningham.  I am hoping we get some good TE blocking besides Allen...need to watch Cunningham....Attitude and technique :)  I 'kinda' like it.

One thing we have not really noted that need some attention.  Cunningham was coached by the legendary Steve Spurrier.  While I was never fond of 70-10 blowouts...no mistaking the coaching record!!!

Cunningham may just be a keeper with lights out hits on ST too!!!   :thmup:

usc-ark-016-justice-cunningham.jpeg

I'm surprised a little by the attention that Dwayne Allen is NOT getting.  

Dude had a really great rookie year and he's barely being discussed.  

No way do we go 11-5 without Dwayne Allen last year. 

He is no sleeper in my book either....!!  Just ask the guys he ran over last year Valpo!!!   :spit:

I agree Jay.....Allen brings a tude, and so does Cunningham.  I am hoping we get some good TE blocking besides Allen...need to watch Cunningham....Attitude and technique :)  I 'kinda' like it.

One thing we have not really noted that need some attention.  Cunningham was coached by the legendary Steve Spurrier.  While I was never fond of 70-10 blowouts...no mistaking the coaching record!!!

Cunningham may just be a keeper with lights out hits on ST too!!!   :thmup:

usc-ark-016-justice-cunningham.jpeg

One thing I need to clarify is that I do NOT think that Fleener is a slouch at blocking.  His improvement in that area was incredible last season...seeing him on the first day of one one ones was scary!!  Again...the improvement may have been the best on the team!!!   :thmup:

Possible Fleener in the slot,with Allen and Cunningham book ends? That would be a new look,opens a lot of possible options,for the run game as well.Lol just thinking out loud,and dreaming of the      :rawr:

That could be an intriguing possibility in Red-Zone....with extra height in there.....I may be afraid as well as TY was in the OTAs....virtually unstoppable in the redzone. Still like the idea.... :thmup:

It may never happen [that set] but in all honesty,the security of another well rounded TE would make me estatic :thmsup:

I agree....multiple looks....I think Pep is going to trick some defenses...and when Luck gets his chance to call plays.....look out...audibles are deadly!  Has my head spinnin!!  :)

grin%20spin.gif

I agree....multiple looks....I think Pep is going to trick some defenses...and when Luck gets his chance to call plays.....look out...audibles are deadly!  Has my head spinnin!!   :)

grin%20spin.gif

Not to mention with an improved OL and running game ,just think of play action

Allen had a great year but some of that was due to Fleener missing 3 games. As great as Bruce Arians was as a offensive coordinator, he was never good at using TE's even going back to his Steerler days. Heath Miller never had more then 76 catches 816 yards and 8 td's in a season he was mostly used as a blocker. Pep Hamilton is known for using multiple TE's as recieving threats. If you look back at some of the great TE's Gates,Graham,Gronk,Gonzalez and Davis all had bad rookie years but had great 2nd years. I think Fleener will be the focal point of this offense and have a breakout year.

A draft pick spent on a receiver is not considered a bust till after 3 years.  Tony Gonzalez's first year- he had 33 catches with 2 TDs. 2nd year- 59 catches with 2 TDs. 3rd year- 76 catches with 11 TDs and his 1st pro bowl. I am not saying that Fleener will be a Gonzalez player, just showing it normally takes 3 years for a receiver to learn their position. 

But the point is well made. Rookie tight ends don't often produce at a significant level. I think most of us expected more out of Fleener, and he did start off slow. But people love to hop on the "bust" train as soon as possible. 

Ugh, slow down people.  RIght now, the immediate impact contributor is Allen.  Surely Fleener needs to up his game, but he is far from a loss at this point.  It takes time.

Honestly, the player with the highest upside is Fleener due to his superior athleticism and size.  To those making comments of who we'd rather have on the team... well, they won't have to make that decision for another 3 years, so why bother analyzing these two after 1 season.  

There are many players who start off hot and then fizzle out.  But far more players start off slow, and become stars.  Heck, there is a first round receiver on this team who only caught 27 passes for 345 yards with 0 TDs in his first season.  Any guesses?

I think our offense is going to be way more versatile this year than last year and that Fleener and Allen will both be key contributors.  I think Allen is the better overall TE of the 2, but I think Fleener creates more mismatches with his ability for the long-ball.  With TY having another year, and his speed plus DHB's added speed -- I think that we will see a lot of mis-matches where teams either have to choose between Fleener/Allen as their poison.  In the image below -- if we were to run something like this (assume the RB is set as a primary blocker, play-action, or screen threat) -- every team in the league is going to have their best CB on Wayne and he is so good that the safety on that side has to respect him.  TY and DHB are both speed-burners -- I see DHB as more of the deep threat and TY as a mix of deep-threat and kind of short/quick pass with some space for him to get some good YAC.  Anyway, in a situation like this, if DHB is running a deep route, his speed will force the safety on his side to respect him, and I'm assuming that the safety on the other side is respecting Reggie -- teams will be forced to put a LB on either Fleener or Allen, either way a mismatch -- if DHB is running deep, I see the middle of the field being open for Fleener to be grabbing 12-18 yard catches with some space for YAC, if the teams put an LB or sub-par CB on him -- if they put a decent CB on him and use a LB or sub-par CB on Allen, I see Allen being able to shred defenses apart all day long with 6-8 yard receptions.

Now if TY is in the game, and Fleener runs deep, I think that TY can run a quick slant or drag route, he is fast enough to beat most 2-3 CBs off the line -- assume Fleener draws the safety's attention, TY  should be able to get the ball in the middle of the field with one safety deep with Fleener and one with Reggie, giving him some room to turn 4-6 yard dump-offs into big yardage.  This should also allow for Allen to be open on a quick out-route for consistent 6-8 yard receptions. 

Keep in mind, Reggie Wayne will get his catches, he is too good not to -- I just think we have all sorts of mismatch opportunities in 2 TE sets and expect Allen will get more receptions, but average a lot less yards per catch than Fleener who (I think) will have a huge YPC average and be more of a big-play threat.  Now, I think where things get even scarier for defenses is if we are in 3 WR sets with Fleener as a TE -- with Fleener and Hilton in the middle of the field and Reggie and DHB on the outsides, I think there is all sorts of opportunities for us to create major mismatches -- hopefully with an improved OL, we will see teams that fear our passing game be sending their LB's to the bench and we will be able to have an improved running game even out of a 3WR set. 

*** How do you post images?  I drew up a little scheme in paint and saved it as a .jpeg file but can't seem to get it to load (it doesn't let me copy/paste for some reason)

I'm just saying going into the season, it was all about the Stanford connection between Luck & Fleener.

Now here we are a season later, it's like Fleener doesn't even exist to these writers that drool over Allen

Hard to know how it would have worked out had fleener not gotten injured

24 catches 389 yards 2 TDs----------26 yards per game

26 catches 281 yards 2 TDs------23 yards per game

33 catches 368 yards 2 TDs---------23 yards per game

35 catches 347 yards 1 TD------------23 yards per game

Anyone calling Fleener a bust should look at the first years of many of the top TE's in the league.

1 of the guys above is Fleener and the other 3 are almost locks for the HOF.

Pretty sneaky sis.

Ugh, slow down people.  RIght now, the immediate impact contributor is Allen.  Surely Fleener needs to up his game, but he is far from a loss at this point.  It takes time.

Honestly, the player with the highest upside is Fleener due to his superior athleticism and size.  To those making comments of who we'd rather have on the team... well, they won't have to make that decision for another 3 years, so why bother analyzing these two after 1 season.  

There are many players who start off hot and then fizzle out.  But far more players start off slow, and become stars.  Heck, there is a first round receiver on this team who only caught 27 passes for 345 yards with 0 TDs in his first season.  Any guesses?

+Reggie Wayne