Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck to take 3- 5 steps

CS Colts Fan

found this off rotoworld.

Coach Chuck Pagano said to expect more three- and five-step drops from Andrew Luck this season.

Under Bruce Arians, Luck took mostly seven-step drops. He rarely dumped off passes to running backs and always looked to aggressively push the ball vertically. Now that Arians is out and Pep Hamilton is in, a true West Coast scheme is being installed. "We want to be efficient. The biggest difference might be a little bit more quick-game, if you will. Get the ball out of Andrew's hands," Pagano said. "Get it into our playmakers' hands. A little bit more catch-and-run type of things." Luck is at the back end of the QB1 rankings in fantasy circles.

no surprise. I am looking forward to seeing us move the ball more efficiently  (if that is the right word ?)  and less hits on Luck

I like it, I think Arians did a good job mentoring Luck and keeping the team together and leading them to 9 wins after Pagano got cancer.

That having been said, his insistence on always throwing the deep ball was a bit annoying to say the least.  

And the guy doesn't lie about his system either.  I believe he told an Arizona paper that it's not the RB's job to catch the football.  

Well, if anyone noticed closely in game 16, the first game of Pagano's return, the ball came out of Luck's hands faster. So, I am sure, Pagano during his treatment, was as cognizant of the fact that Luck needed to be protected with playcalling that called for 3 and 5 step drops as well.

Three and five step drops are the hallmark of the West Coast offense.    That's what was missing last year.   That's what I've been hoping for.    I'd be happy to see LOTS of it!

As for Pagano's comments,  I don't know where Rotoworld got them,  but here they are in more complete fashion.   From this website.    Apparently,  last night,  Pagano visited with season ticket holders and took questions.....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/PAGANO-TALKS-LUCK-HAMILTON-AND-MUCH-MORE-WITH-SEASON-TICKET-HOLDERS/d309b86d-6913-4064-84e1-b6a275948971

I think there's an error in the understanding of something Pagano said....    in an answer about our running game, he mentioned having a big tough RB to run between the tackles and in parenthesis,  it's listed as (Carter).    My read is that it should be Ballard.

But that's my only nit to pick.....

No surprise here....I said it the day Pep was hired...2,3 and 5 step drops, designed rollouts and bootlegs.  Hopefully we go far away from the 7 step drops of Arians.  This alone will help the OL give Luck time to throw.  It will also set up the delayed draw nicely with great fakes.

I also like Andrew calling his own plays...lets start the season today!!! :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

No surprise here....I said it the day Pep was hired...2,3 and 5 step drops, designed rollouts and bootlegs.  Hopefully we go far away from the 7 step drops of Arians.  This alone will help the OL give Luck time to throw.  It will also set up the delayed draw nicely with great fakes.

I also like Andrew calling his own plays...lets start the season today!!! :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

The scheme made the O-line look a lot worse than it really was last season. I mean, they WERE bad, but Arians did them no favors with his predictable run formations and 7 step drops he constantly called. So glad i don't have to look at 5-wide on every passing down and tight, bunch formations on every run call anymore. Enjoy, Arizona

Now, this kid gets cut loose. Woe to the other teams in the AFC South and woe to the NFL in general. We really are about to rip this thing up. Add in what we've NEVER had...a big, bruising 3/4 defense. Yikes.

The scheme made the O-line look a lot worse than it really was last season. I mean, they WERE bad, but Arians did them no favors with his predictable run formations and 7 step drops he constantly called. So glad i don't have to look at 5-wide on every passing down and tight, bunch formations on every run call anymore. Enjoy, Arizona

I hit like for the "7 step drops" comment.  I think Arians did a fantastic job as coach in Pagano's absence.  Sure some of his play calling was predictable and as we both say too many 7 step drops.  I will wish him well in Arizona.  He helped a year that could have gone poorly go pretty darned well....11-5 was not was this old LB predicted.   :thmup:  :blueshoe:

Now, this kid gets cut loose. Woe to the other teams in the AFC South and woe to the NFL in general. We really are about to rip this thing up. Add in what we've NEVER had...a big, bruising 3/4 defense. Yikes.

One thing I like is he 'sees the field' pre-snap like a veteran (Won't mention any names that rhyme with Fanning :funny:)

It really excites me to see this come about....I have said this before, but I got used to 37-34 games....I am now seeing visions of the Colts winning 37-10 dancing in my head..... :coltslogo:   :coltslogo: :coltslogo:

I hit like for the "7 step drops" comment. I think Arians did a fantastic job as coach in Pagano's absence. Sure some of his play calling was predictable and as we both say too many 7 step drops. I will wish him well in Arizona. He helped a year that could have gone poorly go pretty darned well....11-5 was not was this old LB predicted. :thmup::blueshoe:

I agree he did a great job for us last year as a leader. I'm still excited to see him move on, however, as I feel the magic of last year overshadowed a lot of his short-comings as a coordinator. His act would've grown old this year, had he exposed Luck to more of the same hits he took last season. Everything worked out for all parties involved. Arians got his dream gig and we were able to move in a more efficient direction on offense without having to fire anybody. Win-win, in my book

I agree he did a great job for us last year as a leader. I'm still excited to see him move on, however, as I feel the magic of last year overshadowed a lot of his short-comings as a coordinator. His act would've grown old this year, had he exposed Luck to more of the same hits he took last season. Everything worked out for all parties involved. Arians got his dream gig and we were able to move in a more efficient direction on offense without having to fire anybody. Win-win, in my book

After further review....I approve your post  :lol:

It is a win-win....and the more Luck calls his own plays and/or audiblilizes, it will be WINS for us as the defense improves! (It HAS as we know  ;)) 

I like it, I think Arians did a good job mentoring Luck and keeping the team together and leading them to 9 wins after Pagano got cancer.

That having been said, his insistence on always throwing the deep ball was a bit annoying to say the least.  

And the guy doesn't lie about his system either.  I believe he told an Arizona paper that it's not the RB's job to catch the football.  

[JulesWinnfieldVoice]That's exactly what he told an Arizona paper, that it's not the running back's job to catch the football! [/JulesWinnfieldVoice]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140629/article/bruce-arians-cardinals-backs-are-runners-protectors

Luck taking the 3-5 step drops will likely improve his efficiency and keep him from taking as much punishment as he did last year.  I  want the Colts to dink and dunk a bit more but I also don't want them to forsake the deep ball either.  I believe that Pep will find a good balance between the two.

Now the Colts running the ball and stopping the run is something that I will believe when I actually see them do it.  I like Ballard and the additions to the Oline but I need to see them do it before I get my hopes up.  Even more so on the defensive side of the ball.  We now  have the personnel to fit more of the 3-4 hybrid scheme we want to run.  Got some big bodies that should be able to stuff the run if they can stay HEALTHY.  However, we have seen all too often our DT's ravished by injury and opposing RB's galloping all through our defense.  So forgive me for not proclaiming our defense stout just yet.  Year after year the Colts struggle to stop the run and until they actually show that they can stop it consistently I will not just assume that they will. 

we have two burners. we better not just dink and dunk

I think we'll still take our shots but I don't think it's going to be as many as they were taking last year.  I think we'll see more or the dink and dunk.  Not unlike what you would see from Manning.  Dink and Dunk to move it but if the deep shots there take it. 

3-5 steps is a vast improvement on the 20 or so steps in every conceivable direction of last year avoiding the instant rush allowed by our porous line play....by virtue of time savings of each play, he may still have 600+ passing attempts because we should be able to easily double the amount of plays we run LOL

I think we'll still take our shots but I don't think it's going to be as many as they were taking last year.  I think we'll see more or the dink and dunk.  Not unlike what you would see from Manning.  Dink and Dunk to move it but if the deep shots there take it. 

Dink and dunk to set up play action deep....as well as delayed draws and designed roll-outs.

I hope that the dink and dunk is more 'synchronized spacing' to get TY and Heyward Bey some excellent opportunities in the open field!!!   :colts:  :colts:

This is going to make our offense so much better... I remember watching Luck in Stanford and I honestly think that he is at his best with 3-5 step drops quick throws, quick reads, ball out quick. His accuracy will be highlighted by putting the ball in small windows and with the playmakers we have in DHB and T.Y. It can be lethal. I envision the offense being like N.E. With the tight ends but using more run and a couple more deep throws.

Anyone else have Lynyrd Skynyrd in their head now?

hehehehe.....gimme three steps, gimme three steps mister...I would expect to see Luck crank it up and chuck it deep now and then, though. Mixing it up like that makes the "West Coast" a "No Coast", and gives DBs fits. We've got a better O line and some speed at WR, and just a bit better running game (I'm expecting Ballard to be a big factor in the Colts' O this year) and we have all the ingredients to keep defensive coordinators chugging the Maalox.

I agree with all of the comments made about the 3,4 and 5 step drop back for Luck. A couple was kind of negative with the dink and dunk but that is what opens up the long pass. Dink and dunk will bring the DBs up closer to the line and that will help when Luck does decide to go downfield. With T.Y. and D.H.B.'s speed we should see a few hookups. While I am grateful for what Arians did while Pagano was out it could not go on as it was. Luck is big and strong with pretty good speed he can not keep getting hit like he was. Keep the passes quick and when Luck does decide to run it should work very well. The main thing is protecting him. I have no doubt if Luck can get some comfort level in the pocket he will surpass anything he did last season. With the offense controlling the ball more it will help the defense big time with keeping them off the field to rest a little more. We improved a lot last season with better special teams play and I think with the draft and the free agents signed there will be even more improvement in that area. I will be interested in seeing what the two tight end sets will bring with two great blocking tight ends with the ability to catch as well. I think Fleener will step up this season after a disappointing rookie year. 

Arians did a great job last year but i would rather Luck to take 3-5 step drops intead of 7 step drops. His completion percentage should be in the high 60's and the offense should be more efficient.

well 3-5 step drops mean nothing if the offensive line doesn't protect him well.

His completion percentage this past year was horrible because of no protection, he still managed to win games though..aside from the fact that the wide receivers have butterfingers...

I remember he only had 2 bad games this past season where he was out of it. Against the Bears and some other team towards the end of the season. But the 1st one doesn't count...

Luck taking the 3-5 step drops will likely improve his efficiency and keep him from taking as much punishment as he did last year.  I  want the Colts to dink and dunk a bit more but I also don't want them to forsake the deep ball either.  I believe that Pep will find a good balance between the two.

Now the Colts running the ball and stopping the run is something that I will believe when I actually see them do it.  I like Ballard and the additions to the Oline but I need to see them do it before I get my hopes up.  Even more so on the defensive side of the ball.  We now  have the personnel to fit more of the 3-4 hybrid scheme we want to run.  Got some big bodies that should be able to stuff the run if they can stay HEALTHY.  However, we have seen all too often our DT's ravished by injury and opposing RB's galloping all through our defense.  So forgive me for not proclaiming our defense stout just yet.  Year after year the Colts struggle to stop the run and until they actually show that they can stop it consistently I will not just assume that they will. 

I think you hit the nail on the head I couldnt agree more with your statements especially on the offence, we still need the deep ball to keep the coverages honest but I think not relying on it solely will bring us some nice success.

I agree with all of the comments made about the 3,4 and 5 step drop back for Luck. A couple was kind of negative with the dink and dunk but that is what opens up the long pass. Dink and dunk will bring the DBs up closer to the line and that will help when Luck does decide to go downfield. With T.Y. and D.H.B.'s speed we should see a few hookups. While I am grateful for what Arians did while Pagano was out it could not go on as it was. Luck is big and strong with pretty good speed he can not keep getting hit like he was. Keep the passes quick and when Luck does decide to run it should work very well. The main thing is protecting him. I have no doubt if Luck can get some comfort level in the pocket he will surpass anything he did last season. With the offense controlling the ball more it will help the defense big time with keeping them off the field to rest a little more. We improved a lot last season with better special teams play and I think with the draft and the free agents signed there will be even more improvement in that area. I will be interested in seeing what the two tight end sets will bring with two great blocking tight ends with the ability to catch as well. I think Fleener will step up this season after a disappointing rookie year. 

Nice post!

I am not in the least worried about Fleener.  So he was a little more 'rookie-esque' than Allen.  Some pretty good TEs started worse or similar.  I would have to dig up the list on here...it has been shown a few times.  Fleener will have more 'Pep in his step' in the new offense :)

No Cost offense.....I hope it does not stink (or is that smell? :))

Coast-Bar-Soap-4-oz.jpg