Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reportedly sign Matt Hasselbeck (update)

Andy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that we have Hasselbeck, hopefully he doesn't play a meaningful snap all year. Jimmy better not think for one second this covers up the Reciever stuff. We got unfinished business.

I don't think this has anything to do with the receiver stuff.  Hasselbeck is just an added bonus because he was cut lose today.  Kravitz reported after we signed Hasselbeck that the Colts are still in the hunt for the mystery WR but they are just waiting for the asking price to come down. 

As I told someone else in this thread earlier.  Welcome to free agency.  99 times out of 100 guys don't take home town discounts to go to a new team.  It's why Polian avoided it so much because he knew to get free agents you were most likely going to end up over paying to get them to pick you. 

Also worth saying just because a guy signs for more than what we deem their market value should be does not mean we over paid them.  We have no idea what those players real market value is to the rest of the league.  Grigson is in a far better position than us to know that.  For example the Titans seemed to think Hasselbeck was still worth 5.5 million because that's what they were trying to get him down too.  We got him for about a 1.5 less than that.  It's not unreasonable to think that other teams weren't offering what we were offering for him.

Again, and again Nobody if this doesn't apply to you then it doesn't apply to you, I've been here since 2003 and just about every off-season I would listen to fans complain about how we needed a real back up QB to Manning in case Manning got hurt and how we didn't have one.  I then watched fans scream for Polian's head in 2011 for that reason and got his head.  Grigson is doing exactly what fans have been saying we should do for years.  Make sure we have a proven back up QB just in case we need him. 

Also Kravitz reported tonight that the Colts are still in play for the mystery WR after we signed Hasselbeck so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. 

Polian avoided free agency because he was too busy handing out record contracts to a QB , TE, Safety and DE. When he had some cap room (1st and 2nd years in Indy) he was pretty active. 

Do you have a credible link that the Titans were willing to pay him 5.5 mill for 2013 ?

Also I'm not sure 4 mill for a 38 year old QB falls in line with this year's free agent market. That's a million less than the Pats paid for a shut down CB. A mill less than Seattle paid for a DE with 9 sacks. Less than a mill less than Sean Smith , same for Chris Houston and Glover Quin. Same money as Reggie Bush and Stephen Jackson. 

Polian avoided free agency because he was too busy handing out record contracts to a QB , TE, Safety and DE. When he had some cap room (1st and 2nd years in Indy) he was pretty active. 

Do you have a credible link that the Titans were willing to pay him 5.5 mill for 2013 ?

Also I'm not sure 4 mill for a 38 year old QB falls in line with this year's free agent market. That's a million less than the Pats paid for a shut down CB. A mill less than Seattle paid for a DE with 9 sacks. Less than a mill less than Sean Smith , same for Chris Houston and Glover Quin. Same money as Reggie Bush and Stephen Jackson. 

He was busy handing out bad contracts. When he did dip into FA he wasn't very good at it.

GoColts8818
  • photo-thumb-831.jpg?_r=1356926262
  • 8056 posts

Posted Today, 09:40 PM

Hasselbeck was still worth 5.5 million because that's what they were trying to get him down too.  We got him for about a 1.5 less than that.  It's not unreasonable to think that other teams weren't offering what we were offering for him.

I asked you for a link on this and then realized that you are confusing this a bit. The 5.5 mill is not what the Titans were trying to get him to pay for or "willing to pay him."  It was his base salary for 2013 and the reason they cut him.

Why did Hasselbeck want to come to Indy? The money? He could be starting somewhere. There are a lot of mediocre QB's out there. Even somebody like the Jets could use Matt for a couple years until they get a replacement for Sanchez. Wiki has already been updated. They are fast:)

I miss read the first story from Paul that his base salary was to be 5.5 mil this year before they released him that's my fault. Do you have any links showing that other teams weren't willing to give him four million? Again, just because we think its a lot of money doesn't mean the NFL market says so too. Also established QBs tend to get more money than other positions in the NFL even if they are a high end back up like Hasselbeck is.

Also Polian said he didn't like free agents several times because you almost always over pay for them. He preferred to keep his own. I heard the man say that I don't know how many times when he was asked about it. It's an open market and most of the time if more than one team wants a guy the guy signs with a team who will pay him more. That's why you see guys get over paid in fee agency it comes with the territory when you go after guys more than just your team wants. Trust me I am sure Grigson isn't handing out money like this just to be a nice guy.

<p>GoColts8818

• photo-thumb-831.jpg?_r=1356926262
  • 8056 posts

Posted Today, 09:40 PM

Hasselbeck was still worth 5.5 million because that's what they were trying to get him down too. We got him for about a 1.5 less than that. It's not unreasonable to think that other teams weren't offering what we were offering for him.

I asked you for a link on this and then realized that you are confusing this a bit. The 5.5 mill is not what the Titans were trying to get him to pay for or "willing to pay him." It was his base salary for 2013 and the reason they cut him.

right I caught that in my reply to you when I went back and re-read the story. I made a mistake on the 5.5 million thing.

I really don't like the way grigson does contracts and pays he must get someone to help who knows cause we seem to overpay for everyone I ain't lookin forward to when we give luck a contract we look giving money out for not great players sorry he doesn't seem to know about how much to offer a guy. IMO

#1 The best back up QB in the history of Colts football in Indy, IMO.

#2 Don't underestimate how effective BA was in Andrews ear last season. He is a QB mentor. Bringing in Pep and MH goes a long way towards extending that comfort zone one more year till he has his game intact.

#3 Thank the universe that fans here know so much about FA values. I am guessing that teams are scouring this board for hard to fill hires for their respective teams. At least we know front offices come here to access value to players.

#4 I also want to question the notion that a back up QB doesn't earn their money. Since I have never been a back up QB, I guess I can't say for sure, but it would be my guess that frankly...... the only difference is game day play. I would appreciate it if all the back up QBs here would straighten me out on this notion.

lmao

Actually, it had been reported that Polian tried to bring MH on prior to the 2011 season, but MH thought he'd get more playing time with the Titans. Went 2-14, and the rest is history.

Matt Hasselbeck can at least run. He might have had a chance. Probably better that he stayed in Tennessee a better line at that time than we could certainly provide. I appreciate that Bill Polian admitted that he made a mistake with Painter, but Polian had years to determine what he really had in Painter & Bill sat on his thumbs. I can't pardon a 6 time Executive of the Year for that though sorry. 

"The willingness to join Indianapolis is a clear sign Hasselbeck is prepared to settle into the "savvy veteran backup" stage of his career. Hasselbeck turns 38 in September."

The phrase "prepared to settle" reminds me of a runner up date to a prom dance. Not exactly a ringing endorsement is it? Try to contain your overzealous enthusiasm & excitement there Matthew.  haha

I think he'll be a great back up to Luck.

But whenever I see that we are close to signing him I can't help but think about this video 

Watching that video make me think: #1: ESPN's Kenny Mayne is very funny & #2: Where is Jim Zorn now? Is he still a QB coach in the NFL? Last I heard, he was working in Kansas City, but that was before Andy Reid took over as their new HC & Matt Nagy is their new QB Coach now. 

Still don't like the fact Hasselbeck really only wants to ride the bench for a team with playoff aspirations.

Sounds like he wants free money and a free ring.

Hasselbeck is 37 years old and he knows the likelihood of a team building around him is slim to never happening. Hasselbeck appreciates a strong rising team, with a brilliant young quarterback, and if Luck were to get hurt then an opportunity would surface to finish the job. This might be his best chance to have a ring, and therefore his best chance to contribute to getting a ring.

As I told someone else in this thread earlier.  Welcome to free agency.  99 times out of 100 guys don't take home town discounts to go to a new team.  It's why Polian avoided it so much because he knew to get free agents you were most likely going to end up over paying to get them to pick you. 

Also worth saying just because a guy signs for more than what we deem their market value should be does not mean we over paid them.  We have no idea what those players real market value is to the rest of the league.  Grigson is in a far better position than us to know that.  For example the Titans seemed to think Hasselbeck was still worth 5.5 million because that's what they were trying to get him down too.  We got him for about a 1.5 less than that.  It's not unreasonable to think that other teams weren't offering what we were offering for him.

As for the bolded part, I don't think that is right. Matt signed 3 year deal, year 1 was 3 mil base + 6 mil signing bonus (prorated over 3 years for cap purposes, but paid up front).  the next two years were for 5.5 million base.  If that was the case, he would have finished his last year of the contract.

Sorry, I see you caught it.

We will know if we overpayed any of the FA if they don't produce as expected on the field after having landed their 'money' deal' with us.  It may be hard to judge Hasselbeck as a 4 mil a year QB coach, though.

Again, and again Nobody if this doesn't apply to you then it doesn't apply to you, I've been here since 2003 and just about every off-season I would listen to fans complain about how we needed a real back up QB to Manning in case Manning got hurt and how we didn't have one.  I then watched fans scream for Polian's head in 2011 for that reason and got his head.  Grigson is doing exactly what fans have been saying we should do for years.  Make sure we have a proven back up QB just in case we need him. 

Also Kravitz reported tonight that the Colts are still in play for the mystery WR after we signed Hasselbeck so I wouldn't give up on him just yet. 

I will start by saying I really like what the Colts have done in FA this year, I think they have gotten better and gotten better at the right positions. I also like signing several cheaper mid-level guys and not a few pricy big name guys.

But I think they have overpaid several of the new players, and if you look at this year’s FA it’s not like it normally is where everybody overpays everybody. There are several players who have been overpaid (Miami and Cleveland comes to mind), but there are also several players who have gotten more reasonable contracts. In my mind the Colts have overpaid most of their guys, and since most of them were not the top available guys at their position I would have thought they could have been obtained a little cheaper.

Of course I don’t have all the info the FO has, and I’m not saying they went crazy, but I still think they could have saved some cap to use on other players or the future. The new players might earn their deals, but you should not pay for what they might be, you should pay for what they are worth now.

It’s not that big of a deal, but I’m not thrilled about all of the contract sizes. JMO.

I miss read the first story from Paul that his base salary was to be 5.5 mil this year before they released him that's my fault. Do you have any links showing that other teams weren't willing to give him four million? Again, just because we think its a lot of money doesn't mean the NFL market says so too. Also established QBs tend to get more money than other positions in the NFL even if they are a high end back up like Hasselbeck is.

Also Polian said he didn't like free agents several times because you almost always over pay for them. He preferred to keep his own. I heard the man say that I don't know how many times when he was asked about it. It's an open market and most of the time if more than one team wants a guy the guy signs with a team who will pay him more. That's why you see guys get over paid in fee agency it comes with the territory when you go after guys more than just your team wants. Trust me I am sure Grigson isn't handing out money like this just to be a nice guy.

We know Polian prefered to sign his own players rather than sign free agents. We saw that . Problem is other than Manning and Wayne he paid top $ and in numerous cases over paid badly. You really didn't think we all didn't know that was his preference I hope. Plus I think he figured that it was a winning team and a good group of guys , so best to keep them together. Bottom line is when you keep one of your own players from testing the market , you mostly pay through the nose there too. Btw... this year there were many bargains as it was a bit of a buyers market. We saw a few really good players decide on one or two year contracts inorder to try again next year. So IMO we saw some really expensive contracts as you mention but a few more guys that there was not a very strong market for. 

Asking me if I have any links to other teams not wanting to give him 4 mill per year is really pretty poor. You are the one that made a totally baseless , erronous statement and to come back with that is pretty ... whatever. As I pointed out before , the information that "seems" to be out there was that the Cots were the first team Hasslebach met with and it "appears" that he jumped at that offer without testing the waters for anything as good or better. I have no idea of how many other teams , if any , would pay him this much.

I'm just of the opinion that considering the 2 QB's the Colts had , their cap room and present needs , 4 million per was not best used on signing Matt Hasslebach. You keep writting stuff that has the "tone" or "slant" of you thinking it's "proof" that you are right and those that don't agree are wrong. This is just something that is pretty much opinion. I respect yours. You like it  and that's OK. 

We know Polian prefered to sign his own players rather than sign free agents. We saw that . Problem is other than Manning and Wayne he paid top $ and in numerous cases over paid badly. You really didn't think we all didn't know that was his preference I hope. Plus I think he figured that it was a winning team and a good group of guys , so best to keep them together. Bottom line is when you keep one of your own players from testing the market , you mostly pay through the nose there too. Btw... this year there were many bargains as it was a bit of a buyers market. We saw a few really good players decide on one or two year contracts inorder to try again next year. So IMO we saw some really expensive contracts as you mention but a few more guys that there was not a very strong market for. 

Asking me if I have any links to other teams not wanting to give him 4 mill per year is really pretty poor. You are the one that made a totally baseless , erronous statement and to come back with that is pretty ... whatever. As I pointed out before , the information that "seems" to be out there was that the Cots were the first team Hasslebach met with and it "appears" that he jumped at that offer without testing the waters for anything as good or better. I have no idea of how many other teams , if any , would pay him this much.

I'm just of the opinion that considering the 2 QB's the Colts had , their cap room and present needs , 4 million per was not best used on signing Matt Hasslebach. You keep writting stuff that has the "tone" or "slant" of you thinking it's "proof" that you are right and those that don't agree are wrong. This is just something that is pretty much opinion. I respect yours. You like it  and that's OK. 

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:clap: 

I think he'll be a great back up to Luck.

But whenever I see that we are close to signing him I can't help but think about this video 

Every practice should include a 15 minute pool noodle fight. I remember getting juice boxes after practice as a kid, glad to know the pros get them too

Maybe not nice move as I thought; Indy star mentions $8 mil for 2 years; hope that is not correct. What a country; that much to hold clipboard and talk about Titans D. Could have used that money on another FA

That reported figure appears to be correct.  There's a few that feel it could have been used for a different position players, and other are ok with it. Either way, once the signature is collected, it's a done deal.

Why did Hasselbeck want to come to Indy? The money? He could be starting somewhere. There are a lot of mediocre QB's out there. Even somebody like the Jets could use Matt for a couple years until they get a replacement for Sanchez. Wiki has already been updated. They are fast:)

He's going to be 37. . . so he doesn't have much of his career ahead of him.  The question is for him would he rather spend his last few years sitting on the bench and entering into a reserve role for an already established team. . .

Or would he rather go to a troubled team, compete for the starting job and face the prospect of taking a beating because that team just sucks.  

Most of the teams where he might be the starter would also be teams where he would likely take a physical beating at age 37.  That might not be something he's willing to do.

The guy isn't Manning or Bree's.  He doesn't get rid of the ball so quick that he makes a mediocre offensive line look good by helping them keep their sack rates down.  

If he was 27 and wanted to settle into a backup role, then I would be worried about it.  By at age 37 he could go compete for that starting job and take a beating doing so and possibly end his career sooner.  Or he could sit on the bench and make 4 million a year as a backup.  

At 37 it doesn't bother me that he's made the decision to accept being a backup.  It would if he was 27 though.

And for the record, I wouldn't want to play for Rex Ryan.  Not now, not ever.  I can't stand that man.  The Jet's locker room is a mess and I think he's the reason it's that way.  

He's going to be 37. . . so he doesn't have much of his career ahead of him.  The question is for him would he rather spend his last few years sitting on the bench and entering into a reserve role for an already established team. . .

Or would he rather go to a troubled team, compete for the starting job and face the prospect of taking a beating because that team just sucks.  

Most of the teams where he might be the starter would also be teams where he would likely take a physical beating at age 37.  That might not be something he's willing to do.

The guy isn't Manning or Bree's.  He doesn't get rid of the ball so quick that he makes a mediocre offensive line look good by helping them keep their sack rates down.  

If he was 27 and wanted to settle into a backup role, then I would be worried about it.  By at age 37 he could go compete for that starting job and take a beating doing so and possibly end his career sooner.  Or he could sit on the bench and make 4 million a year as a backup.  

At 37 it doesn't bother me that he's made the decision to accept being a backup.  It would if he was 27 though.

And for the record, I wouldn't want to play for Rex Ryan.  Not now, not ever.  I can't stand that man.  The Jet's locker room is a mess and I think he's the reason it's that way.  

Correction, he will be 38 by the time the end of September rolls around.  4 million per year to be a backup QB at 38 is a great gig.  Matt snagged it-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151679/article/matt-hasselbeck-signs-contract-with-indianapolis-colts

I agree with CF24- use it on more O line help, especially a Guard. Or save it to extend Vonte Davis next year (unless next year cap is more friendly).  But he's ours now.

there is absolutely no way i would pay a back up qb 4 million per year!! maybe the contract is 2 this year and 6 next, that's acceptable, but i would have gone with a much cheaper option.

So 2 mil. base for 2013, no signing bonus, and the rest unguaranteed and backloaded to a very cuttable 2nd season.  Yeah, I'm sure Matt is down with that...

I love the optimism, but feel you'll likely be disappointed.

Correction, he will be 38 by the time the end of September rolls around.  4 million per year to be a backup QB at 38 is a great gig.  Matt snagged it-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151679/article/matt-hasselbeck-signs-contract-with-indianapolis-colts

I agree with CF24- use it on more O line help, especially a Guard. Or save it to extend Vonte Davis next year (unless next year cap is more friendly).  But he's ours now.

Yeah I would have liked another guard, although they might draft one.  I figure we could still probably get a decent starting guard in the 3rd round.  

But yeah, it's really hard to play in the NFL at 38 years old, even as a backup QB.  Only the very best elite QB's can realistically start that late in their career.  

And this gives him the chance to tutor a young talented QB in the film room, from the sidelines, and in the lockeroom without taking the beating that is required of the starter.