Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts intersted in Jesse Williams and Matt Elam?

Evan Sidery @ESidery

Hearing #Colts are all over Alabama NT, Jesse Williams at his pro day.

Greg Ostendorf @GregO_ESPN

The Indianapolis Colts are taking a long look at #Bama DL Jesse Williams today at pro day. Colts pick at No. 24.

Brad Wells (BBS) @StampedeBlue

Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky attended the Florida Pro Day and spent a lot of time watching the safeties.

Evan Sidery @ESidery

@StampedeBlue: Colts DC Greg Manusky attended the Florida Pro Day and spent a lot of time watching the safeties.” Matt Elam folks.

Interesting, I would mind Jesse Williams. He is a big powerful lineman, who is very stout against the run. I wouldn't mind him and Chapman reunited, bc when they both were at Bama no one ran against them.

If Williams is drafted as a NT, I wonder what that says about Chapman's recovery?  Word on him was that he would have been a #1 pick if not for the knee.  If so and he's fully recovered, I would think the Colts would still look at OL unless they think Thomas and Cherilus are that good pickups.

Williams played NT last season, and DE before that.

"STRENGTHS: Has a naturally wide frame with relatively short limbs, giving him the low center of gravity conducive to holding up at the point of attack.

Possesses unbelievable weight-room strength (600 pound bench press) that translates well onto the football field due to his use of leverage and surprisingly good technique considering the fact that he's a relative neophyte who only took up the game at age 15 and has played just four seasons of football in the United States.

Has improved his use of hands over his two seasons at Alabama and has developed into a cognitive defender capable of reading the action, shedding the block with heavy, active hands and making the tackle in the hole.

Has the length to play outside as a five-technique defensive end, a role in which he initially played during his junior season with the Tide before sliding inside to the nose as a senior. Good phone-booth quickness and plays hard, competing to the whistle.

Also served as Alabama's short-yardage fullback in 2012, a testament to his power and aggression. An ascending talent with passion and work ethic to improve."

I'm not so hot on Hankin's, feels like a big potential bust. Jenkins will be good in the NFL as a NT, but we need players that can play NT AND DE in a 3-4. And yes, I do like Sylvester Williams over Jesse Williams. Woah I just realized they have the same last name.

I agree, Gavin.  But I don't see the draft aligning very well with our needs at this point.  OG: Cooper and Warmack will be gone at #24, and Barrett Jones or Larry Warford are serious stretches.  OLB: there's really no realistic target at #24.  Okafor is supposedly a poor 3-4 OLB conversion candidate (instincts and coverage ability not up to snuff).  Arthur Brown is considered a 4-3 guy (lack of size).  I don't know who else is a possibility...  CB will have some good targets, but I wouldn't call that a 1st round need any more.  We've got a good 1-2-3 punch now.  To me, Elam at # 24 is my clear choice, because he's the best available player at a position of need (IMHO)...

If Williams is drafted as a NT, I wonder what that says about Chapman's recovery?  Word on him was that he would have been a #1 pick if not for the knee.  If so and he's fully recovered, I would think the Colts would still look at OL unless they think Thomas and Cherilus are that good pickups.

Williams could play RDE/DT and move to NT on passing downs like Ngata. So in our system Williams and Chapman could both start together. Thomas and Cherilus will both start on our OL over rookies drafted.

I like Jesse Williams. I think he is a really underrated player. Trade up early in the third to grab Elam and we just got two starters.

Elam wont last to the third.

I have my doubts that he lasts past Baltimore's pick at #32, since they now have an alarming lack of safeties.

• 2 weeks later...

First....   all reports say Chapman's recovery is going fine.

Second....   I think there is no chance that Chapman would've been a first round draft pick.    I know there were websites that projected him that way....    I just think those are the bad websites.    I think he was a probable 3rd round pick, maybe a low 2nd.

Put another way.....    if he was seriously a 1st round pick, then I don't think there would be any chance he would've fallen to the 5th round just due to a knee injury.     Florida State's Tank Carradine was a projected 1st round pick until his knee injury,  now his projection is that he'll be taken by the end of the 2nd round... 

Chapman is good....   one of my favorite draft picks last year....   but he wasn't that good.

I think the 1st round rumor is more urban legend than anything else.....

First....   all reports say Chapman's recovery is going fine.

Second....   I think there is no chance that Chapman would've been a first round draft pick.    I know there were websites that projected him that way....    I just think those are the bad websites.    I think he was a probable 3rd round pick, maybe a low 2nd.

Put another way.....    if he was seriously a 1st round pick, then I don't think there would be any chance he would've fallen to the 5th round just due to a knee injury.     Florida State's Tank Carradine was a projected 1st round pick until his knee injury,  now his projection is that he'll be taken by the end of the 2nd round... 

Chapman is good....   one of my favorite draft picks last year....   but he wasn't that good.

I think the 1st round rumor is more urban legend than anything else.....

I think if Chapman had had his surgery earlier and teams felt he would be able to play in 2012 then he would have been a much earlier pick.  If he'd never gotten hurt at all, then yes I do believe he would have been a first round pick and would have gone ahead of Poe.  Poe moved up draft boards because of his combine numbers but he was far from proven on the field.  Even against lower competition that Memphis played he was not always dominant.  Chapman, on the other hand, was dominant even against the top teams that he went against in the SEC.  He was considered the better all around NT and definitely the most pro-ready NT.

Francois takes DE off the biggest need list. Elam is said to be very talented and smart. Love to have him.

Having a bigger, experienced deep threat WR is a real need to round out our Offensive attack.
It would be a big help to get that guy before the draft through FA or trade.

Then Griggs can formulate a draft plan to fill/develope for our future.
Coming out of the draft with a

Pass Rusher

WR
C
S

G
T

I would love Williams in the 1st. Absolutely love the pick.

Our DL depth is improved from last year, but adding Williams gives us the Indy version of Haloti Ngata (not saying he'll be as good as Ngata, who is a Hall of Fame talent IMO). RJF and Franklin were good additions, but not good enough to take Williams off of our draft board. The guy can literally line up in any spot we need him in our 3 and 4 man fronts as the situation warrants. 

I'm psyched we're scouting him, but it's iffy he'll be there when we pick. If not, addressing S or WR is a good call, too.

2 Cents...No to Williams...we already have him on the team.  His name is Chapman.  Elam?  No thanks...  Ray Ray Armstrong!!!!!!  Cyprien, Thomas, Swearinger, Williams can be had later in the draft.

1. Trade ( or Hopkins,Allen,Patterson,Austin WR) = ~50 Dropped passes in 2012

2. Warford G or Hopkins WR = 40+ Sacks in 2012

3. Winters G, Jones C/G, Bostic/Lemonier LB  = 40+sacks, LB

3. Schwenke C/G, Harper, Rogers WR -40+ sacks, Reggie Wayne II ~50 dropped passes 2012.

4. Ray Ray Armstrong FS, Washington LB... = Ray Ray is monster FS 6'4 220.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NS59HOEGA

6. Juscyzck FB  = No more using our #1 TE Allen as a blocker

7. McCalebb RB = Quick west (SEC) coast RB-WR

I keep hearing that the other safety from Florida is moving up draft boards. He is like 6' and runs the 40 under 4.5. I forget his name, but he is viewed as a 4th or 5th rounder. That could be the guy the Colts were looking at given that Bethea is in his contract year and we could use some depth at safety.

2 Cents...No to Williams...we already have him on the team.  His name is Chapman.  Elam?  No thanks...  Ray Ray Armstrong!!!!!!  Cyprien, Thomas, Swearinger, Williams can be had later in the draft.

1. Trade ( or Hopkins,Allen,Patterson,Austin WR) = ~50 Dropped passes in 2012

2. Warford G or Hopkins WR = 40+ Sacks in 2012

3. Winters G, Jones C/G, Bostic/Lemonier LB  = 40+sacks, LB

3. Schwenke C/G, Harper, Rogers WR -40+ sacks, Reggie Wayne II ~50 dropped passes 2012.

4. Ray Ray Armstrong FS, Washington LB... = Ray Ray is monster FS 6'4 220.

6. Juscyzck FB  = No more using our #1 TE Allen as a blocker

7. McCalebb RB = Quick west (SEC) coast RB-WR

I have seen a few other posts of yourself elsewhere (if memory serves) and you really seem to be pushing WRs for that 24th overall pick. Personally, DeAndre Hopkins really seems to be the best fit in Indy as he reminds me considerably of a young Reggie Wayne. Nuk would learn exceptionally well from a guy like Reggie Wayne before he has to ride off into the sunset in a year or two