Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

10 Million Signing Bonus for OT Gosder Cherilus

haseo15

Sounds right to me.  That means there's 25 million is salary overall which some can be cut at a later date if he has issues moving on from year 3.  In other words, the bonus could've been much higher, and would've forced us to hang onto him for most of those years.  This deal is light enough we have the flexibility to move on in the future and gain cap space if he ends up not working out.

2nd highest according to who..? Most I've seen have had Vollmer, Smith, Loadholt and Winston higher.

According to NFL networks big board of free agent RT's he was 2nd only to A. Smith.

He had the 3rd highest grade on PFF's ranking behind Smith and Vollmer, but Vollmer has had to many injury concerns.

$10 million guaranteed isn't bad at all. If we do have to cut him b/c he doesn't perform, then won't have to eat a ton of dead cap. Everyone needs to calm down. Obviously, the FO thought GC was the best available RT (talent and price) or they would have went after someone else. Just b/c you or the media thinks otherwise doesn't mean the FO is wrong. He is an immediate upgrade for us and the FO obviously thinks him and AC are what we need over the long-term. Time will tell on this...

A $10 Mill signing bonus on a $34 Mill contract is actually not very big at all.

I think the Colts did quite well in that regard.    I suspect (but don't know) that the first two years are relatively low salary because the salary cap is flat this year and expected to be somewhat flat again next year.   So,  my hunch is his salary goes up in 2015 and so on...      At that point,  we can start restructuring for the good of the team, and hopefully the player as well.

the signing bonus isn't the only thing that matters. how is the base salary distributed? if it's heavily back loaded the last two years, it's a great deal. you can't comment on any contract until you see ALL the details.

The problem with heavily back loading a contract like that is that in a couple years we are going to have Luck, Allen, Hilton, Fleener, and Ballard have their contract's run out.  

At this point at least Luck, Allen, and probably Hilton are not easily replaceable.  

The problem with heavily back loading a contract like that is that in a couple years we are going to have Luck, Allen, Hilton, Fleener, and Ballard have their contract's run out.  

At this point at least Luck, Allen, and probably Hilton are not easily replaceable.  

The salary cap is projected to go up 30 million dollars though in 2015.

you back load contracts to protect yourself if the player gets hurt or doesn't meet expectations. they can be cut and save money. if they turn out to be above expectations, you don't mind paying them.

Do you really think the FO doesn't realize this? I can't believe they wouldn't have taken all of this into consideration when drafting the contract...they get paid to make these decision for the long-term good of the franchise. So, if you understand this, then they do too.

Again today the NFL Live analyst former Colt Baldinger & Casserly talk down Gosders talent and Castonzo maybe needing to move to the inside.

What do they know?

They know that they love the sound of their own voices. Clearly they don't have their finger on the pulse of the Colt's interworkings. 

A $10 Mill signing bonus on a $34 Mill contract is actually not very big at all.

I think the Colts did quite well in that regard.    I suspect (but don't know) that the first two years are relatively low salary because the salary cap is flat this year and expected to be somewhat flat again next year.   So,  my hunch is his salary goes up in 2015 and so on...      At that point,  we can start restructuring for the good of the team, and hopefully the player as well.

This. I think Vasquez got $12M. This is a good move, it makes him relatively cheap.

Very smart!

Deals will get restructured.     Happens all the time in the NFL.   

Grigson is hyper-sensitive to salary cap issues.    I don't foresee a big problem here.

This. I think Vasquez got $12M. This is a good move, it makes him relatively cheap.

Very smart!

Assuming your first about Vasquez is correct, then we gave LESS guaranteed money to a tackle than another team gave to a guard.

That's smart money management.     And if this is correct, it likely explains why Grigson did not end up with either Vasquez and/or Levitre.

Good for him.    The man is smart.

Assuming your first about Vasquez is correct, then we gave LESS guaranteed money to a tackle than another team gave to a guard.

That's smart money management.     And if this is correct, it likely explains why Grigson did not end up with either Vasquez and/or Levitre.

Actually, I was wrong about Vasquez. He got $13M guaranteed. And like you said, guards are usually not paid as well as OTs.

People want to quote contracts in saying we overpaid for a guy. But they should realize that only guaranteed money counts in the NFL. Still, I intend that you don't know if you overpaid until you see them play.

Actually, I was wrong about Vasquez. He got $13M guaranteed. And like you said, guards are usually not paid as well as OTs.

People want to quote contracts in saying we overpaid for a guy. But they should realize that only guaranteed money counts in the NFL. Still, I intend that you don't know if you overpaid until you see them play.

Well said.

Cherilus = $34.5 Million....$15.5M Guaranteed.

tumblr_m727m8Ubb31roun4c.gif

Money can be guaranteed in roster bonuses and salary going forward. The signing bonus is always guaranteed money but not necessarily the extent of it. Thus the 15 mill guaranteed.

exactly what i saw, he was not that highly rated.  just watched a bunch of highlights (or lowlights) of him.  he can do some good in certain areas.  lotta money tho, yipes.

2nd highest according to who..? Most I've seen have had Vollmer, Smith, Loadholt and Winston higher.