Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im not liking these signings

Charliemac24

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you feel we are... significantly better?  If so, why?

I don't know, that's my point.  Grigs picked these guys because of how they fit with the team.  We won't know if we're significantly better until they're on the field and we see them in action.

But just because we didn't go after the top names guys does NOT mean we're not going to be better.

Do you feel we are... significantly better?  If so, why?

First off, I do feel that I'm replying to a border collie / monkey. Feel free to figure out what Dave Chapelle and "The Fish" have to do with one another.

Secondly, with the O line moves, there's no reason to be totally bummed out. 

I'd take two good players at the right price over one high priced star player. 

I don't know, that's my point.  Grigs picked these guys because of how they fit with the team.  We won't know if we're significantly better until they're on the field and we see them in action.

But just because we didn't go after the top names guys does NOT mean we're not going to be better.

Ding ding ding, WE HAVE A WINNER!

Winner.jpg

Like Satele and Zibikowski? 

Satele was way over paid. Not the "right price"

Zibi just filled a roll based on his knowledge of a scheme. 

They're not great examples to use to make a point, but they played on a winning squad, so what the hey?

I'm with you on that.

Toler is alright but not worth $5m.

Thomas is pretty good.

Cherilus is okay but I'm really worried about what we've paid him.

Walden is horrendous and shouldn't even be on vet minimum.

Sidbury is a nobody.

Who'd have thought we had $45m in cap space, huh? 

I'm with you on that.

Toler is alright but not worth $5m.

Thomas is pretty good.

Cherilus is okay but I'm really worried about what we've paid him.

Walden is horrendous and shouldn't even be on vet minimum.

Sidbury is a nobody.

Who'd have thought we had $45m in cap space, huh? 

thanks coach!

Thanks for posting this.  After reading that...$4 million per year isn't really overpaying by that much.  Average for a starting LB is about $3.67 million per year according to the article.  Colts must envision him as a starter so we can probably forget about signing Cliff Avril now.  From the article there was sentiment that Walden was due a bigger pay day based off of his recent play.  Griggs must have felt the same way. Though not thrilled...I find this signing to be a bit more palatable now after reading this. 

Im very disappointed that we didn't go after Kruger.  Hopefully we get Avril.  Still need to add another guard to the O-Line and maybe we can nab Darius Heyward-Bay.  I know we don't like to spend money on name players but sometimes you have to take a gamble on somebody.

Im very disappointed that we didn't go after Kruger. Hopefully we get Avril. Still need to add another guard to the O-Line and maybe we can nab Darius Heyward-Bay. I know we don't like to spend money on name players but sometimes you have to take a gamble on somebody.

DHB seriously??? We could have just kept Avery and been better off.

I will say I wasn't wow'd by these signings but thinking about it more and reading up on these players I'm not as disappointed. I believe Grigs knows what he is doing, I trust him and we are NOT done. This was just day 1 of a long offseason. He got the players he wanted and within only a few hours. These were obviously players he didn't want to miss out on and wanted immediately even if we don't agree(cough Walden cough). It's not for sure if we overpaid these players yet, just based on the reports of contracts being rumors and not telling the structure of the contract. We got needs all around, 2 of which are on the OLine and are both instant upgrades over what we have and Castonzo gets to stay on left, which he wanted.

I'm very happy he didn't go after Kruger aggressively and I think we still have a good chance of signing Avril and Landry tomorrow which would change the perception of this free agency instantly for a lot of people on this forum. I've not jumping up and down yet but maybe tomorrow will change that...

For now we must all trust Grigs, I mean he is NFL Executive of the year.

What is up with all the hate on Walden?   Give him a chance.....

Where is Jules when we need her she is our forum Packer expert??   I hope she likes him?

heeh.eee    C'mon J fill us in...

haha no expert here. But, I watch them enough. Packers fans never seemed to really like Walden but outside of a few (Clay/Woodson) they never really praise any of them. :)

Walden is a bit of a mystery to me and so was the Packers D since the SB win lol. At this point in time I am starting to wonder if Capers deserves way more blame then just the players/talent excuse that gets thrown around. Sure, the GB D might tease us at times with good stats/interceptions etc. but guys on a weekly basis are almost constantly out of place or giving up huge plays or tackling like crap. When do we blame the coach?

I don't have any issues with Walden (or any player we got since a few are very underrated IMO) but I think it remains to be seen if we are still seeking more pass rush help in FA/draft. I think Walden is a decent pass rusher and I would prefer him to Jerry Hughes based on what I have seen but at the same time Walden has struck me as more of a backup. I guess we'll see if we make more moves and right now I would not be stunned to see Walden improve with the Colts either since the entire GB D at times turns to pure suck!!!

I have faith though! I still think this D is on the road UP.

thanks coach!

This is the second time this logic has been used on me, I'll repeat the same theme - you're saying I'm not a football coach so can't give my opinion on players? Well, both positive and negative opinions are opinions, so on the same track logic not allowed to give opinions either, positive or negative. Think Reggie had a great year? Tough, you're not a coach, you're not allowed opinions.

But, hey, let's bring in some other opinions from around the web, because everyone seemed fine with literally the only positive article, so a few negative opinions should receive the same treatment, right? 

Walden: 

"This was the worst signing of the first day of free agency, which is saying a lot because a number of dumb moves were made. 

What the heck are the Colts thinking? Erik Walden is borderline rosterable. He was so bad in Green Bay that I had numerous Packer fans e-mail me about how thrilled they were to finally be getting rid of him. Walden does absolutely nothing positive on the football field. He shouldn't have been signed for $1.75 million, let alone $17.5 million."

"it’s OK that you signed him to a four-year contract for $16 million … but really? You spent that much on a guy who between 2008 and 2010 bounced around between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs and then was out of football before the Packers picked him up off the street? The only reason the did was because they were plumb out of guys to play linebacker."

""Here's the thing about signing Walden: why not make same offer to Freeney? If he turns it down, so what? Why pay that for a worse option?"

Not to forget, a host of mentions of him getting arrested for beating up his girlfriend. Sounds like a stand up guy. 

Cherilus: 

"More than we paid Loadholt? I would take Loadholt any day."

" I don't know who else would have given him this much money and it was an obvious overpay."

"Gosder Cherilus was solid last year, but he hasn't always played well. He's struggled for the most part ever since being chosen in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft by Matt Millen. Cherilus has just been a borderline starter overall. 

What the heck are the Colts thinking? Don't they actually want to make sure Andrew Luck is protected? There were so many quality right tackles available like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer, so why bring in Cherilus for a ton of money? It's almost like they took advice from Millen himself. "

I particularly like the part pointing out we could have got Smith or Vollmer. 

This is the second time this logic has been used on me, I'll repeat the same theme - you're saying I'm not a football coach so can't give my opinion on players? Well, both positive and negative opinions are opinions, so on the same track logic not allowed to give opinions either, positive or negative. Think Reggie had a great year? Tough, you're not a coach, you're not allowed opinions.

It's not as bad as it used to be.  The fan base seems to have matured to a point where you can have an open discussion on most things.  In 5 years, hopefully we'll be able to discuss things like fans of established franchises do.  Clearly, we're not there yet. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-cornerbacks/

Greg Toler # 7 (#4 among CBs with 6 years of experience or less), Darius Butler # 8 (#5 among CBs with 6 years of experience or less).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-guards/

Dallas Thomas # 5 (#3 among OGs with 5 years of experience or less).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/

Gosder Cherilus # 3.

I'm a fan of the signings so far except Walden. I don't get that one. Especially when he says the club gave him every indication he would be starting along side Mathis next year *cringe*. 

However...overall I love what we are doing. Signing good mid-level FA's that aren't breaking the bank. Free Agency is usually not worth the money you spend anyway and we had a good thing going for a long time by building through the draft. With these signings, we've instantly gotten better on the O-line and in the secondary. That's a great start for day 1. I do think there will be at least one big name that comes to us (Avril). But I've been wrong about everything else... :)

If so thats a serious slap in the face to Hughes when the rumor was he was looking to be the guy to replace Freeney after Hughes had 4 sacks and 40 tackles as a rotational pass rusher, if Im Hughes Im not happy, I know people will say 4 sacks that snot many, and its not and I know certain people will say he has not produced blah blah  but he did last year in limited starts

All his cash for FA's and we get  3 benchwarmers, an injured CB and a OL whose knees may not hold up (How was that suregry in Germany?) It's like having money to live in Trump Tower and then want to live in a flop house.  GM gets  a pass for last yeear I guess, but it's like Polian 2 with getting bottom feeder players just to fill up depth. I would rather have spend 8 million on Kruger or Arvil then 4 million on Walden a year. Johnson and LB from Falcoms are pick-ups one can get in 7th round of a draft.

But, hey, let's bring in some other opinions from around the web, because everyone seemed fine with literally the only positive article, so a few negative opinions should receive the same treatment, right? 

Walden: 

"This was the worst signing of the first day of free agency, which is saying a lot because a number of dumb moves were made. 

What the heck are the Colts thinking? Erik Walden is borderline rosterable. He was so bad in Green Bay that I had numerous Packer fans e-mail me about how thrilled they were to finally be getting rid of him. Walden does absolutely nothing positive on the football field. He shouldn't have been signed for $1.75 million, let alone $17.5 million."

"it’s OK that you signed him to a four-year contract for $16 million … but really? You spent that much on a guy who between 2008 and 2010 bounced around between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs and then was out of football before the Packers picked him up off the street? The only reason the did was because they were plumb out of guys to play linebacker."

""Here's the thing about signing Walden: why not make same offer to Freeney? If he turns it down, so what? Why pay that for a worse option?"

Not to forget, a host of mentions of him getting arrested for beating up his girlfriend. Sounds like a stand up guy. 

Cherilus: 

"More than we paid Loadholt? I would take Loadholt any day."

" I don't know who else would have given him this much money and it was an obvious overpay."

"Gosder Cherilus was solid last year, but he hasn't always played well. He's struggled for the most part ever since being chosen in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft by Matt Millen. Cherilus has just been a borderline starter overall. 

What the heck are the Colts thinking? Don't they actually want to make sure Andrew Luck is protected? There were so many quality right tackles available like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer, so why bring in Cherilus for a ton of money? It's almost like they took advice from Millen himself. "

I particularly like the part pointing out we could have got Smith or Vollmer. 

I wouldn't quote walterfootball, but that's just me

All his cash for FA's and we get 3 benchwarmers, an injured CB and a OL whose knees may not hold up (How was that suregry in Germany?) It's like having money to live in Trump Tower and then want to live in a flop house. GM gets a pass for last yeear I guess, but it's like Polian 2 with getting bottom feeder players just to fill up depth. I would rather have spend 8 million on Kruger or Arvil then 4 million on Walden a year. Johnson and LB from Falcoms are pick-ups one can get in 7th round of a draft.

David Thomas is a starter.

I wouldn't quote walterfootball, but that's just me

Number of different sources in there. He made the most interesting point of the bunch, about how many different and better tackles there are. I actually quite like Cherilus, but still.

Number of different sources in there. He made the most interesting point of the bunch, about how many different and better tackles there are. I actually quite like Cherilus, but still.

Loadholt? The guy pass blocks for a QB, who when he isn't handing it off to the MVP, is taking three step drops and throwing WR screens.

Ryan Grigsons choices for the O-line were scouted & evaluated  by  pro's , As a O-lineman IMO Grigsons  opinion  as a talent evaluator is not perfect but overall is pretty good , And he believes these signing's will make our team better how good remains to be seen . I like reading the Monday  QB -nonsense - Its like folks at a message board are upset because there opinions have been ignored :goodluck:  Its easy to say go after the big name guys but the Eagles dream team or Dan Snider & the Redskins were just big losers in FA in the past . Experience with the Eagles may have taught Grigson patience & the ability to fill the needs of a team based on personal first hand knowledge  , I read the reports about all the signings on paper those opinions & stats are easy to find . How they fit in here with this team with a WCO & Pep Hamilton remains to be seen . On defense the Colts can still make a splash & I expect they will . 

Did we sign Vollimer and landry?

I'll tell you what you can do, tweet Jim Irsay and tell him who you think we should sign from whoever is left that you deem worthy.

I did it yesterday, but I don't think he listened to me... he may listen to you though as you have a wonderful way with words.

P.S. I think Randy Moss is still on the market, that a big enough name for you?

It's not as bad as it used to be. The fan base seems to have matured to a point where you can have an open discussion on most things. In 5 years, hopefully we'll be able to discuss things like fans of established franchises do. Clearly, we're not there yet.

Colts not being an established franchise is the funniest thing I've read all day.

I'm still wondering why we let polian go? All I see is a FO that is gonna rely on 12 just much like 18

Wait for the draft, they will get Luck a couple more weapons. Plus Grigson did help Luck in FA with 2 Oline signings.