Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts have made contact with Cliff Avril

I like Avril, depending on the price we could get him for it could be a HUGE move... But I only want him at the right price, less than 10 million a year IMO

He already turned down a 3 year $30 million contract from Detroit. IMO He's looking for around $12 million a year.

He already turned down a 3 year $30 million contract from Detroit. IMO He's looking for around $12 million a year.

Then I would stay away from him, he is a risk coming from a 4-3 to the 3-4 and even though he is a crazy athlete you can't guarantee it will be successful. A 12 million per year player has to be a sure thing for me..... I rather get Harrison or someone less expensive to fill in for Dwight Freeney

I posted earlier on another thread that I saw an article on NFL.com that had Said Cliff Avrils agent was saying that a Mario Williams type deal would be nice. I know that could have been sarcasm or maybe even jokingly but non the less a if he or his agent think he is getting anywhere close to that type of money their out of their minds and I mean completely out of it. He in my opinion would be lucky to get anything over 50 mil total. I know they aim high but lets please be realistic here.

I posted earlier on another thread that I saw an article on NFL.com that had Said Cliff Avrils agent was saying that a Mario Williams type deal would be nice. I know that could have been sarcasm or maybe even jokingly but non the less a if he or his agent think he is getting anywhere close to that type of money their out of their minds and I mean completely out of it. He in my opinion would be lucky to get anything over 50 mil total. I know they aim high but lets please be realistic here.

His and Williams production aren't that far off. Williams has 24 more sacks in 2 more seasons, but Avril has more FF. It's not like Williams is miles ahead of him.

There context he said it in was more like "who wouldnt want that kind of money" NEVER anywhere did it say he was seeking that much. IJust that every player would like that money

His and Williams production aren't that far off. Williams has 24 more sacks in 2 more seasons, but Avril has more FF. It's not like Williams is miles ahead of him.

He may not 'miles ahead of him' as you put it,  but they're not that close either....

24 more sacks in two more seasons is quite a bit.....

He may not 'miles ahead of him' as you put it,  but they're not that close either....

If you take out 2011 for Williams since he only played 5 games, Avril has more sacks in their last three seasons.

I mean it's not that big of a discrepency. 12 sacks a season isn't really a stretch for an elite pass rusher.

ill take Kruger over Avril in a heartbeat for the right price, Avril will get sacks but he will be useless against the run, He will be Freeney all over again, It will be Run At Avril instead of run at Freeney, No doubt he can rush from the 3-4 pass rush Freeney role, It wont be any different because Avril will likely have his hand down in the dirt the majority of the time but I'd rather get Kruger between them two choices

ill take Kruger over Avril in a heartbeat for the right price, Avril will get sacks but he will be useless against the run, He will be Freeney all over again, It will be Run At Avril instead of run at Freeney, No doubt he can rush from the 3-4 pass rush Freeney role, It wont be any different because Avril will likely have his hand down in the dirt the majority of the time but I'd rather get Kruger between them two choices

Kruger is useless against the run as well.

Kruger is useless against the run as well.

Indeed. And that is the main reason I would prefer Avril over Kruger. Kruger was a high school QB turned collegiate DE. Avril was a 3-4 OLB and DE at Purdue. I feel that Avril would better fit the role whereas Kruger is going to be more situational, like he was in Baltimore. Just my :2c:

Just trade down to top of round 2 and get Jamie Collins. Pick up an extra 3rd and spend that on OLB too. There are alternatives, if deals cannot get done. Or ask Kruger to give us a Pagano discount :). (j/k)

If it is Kruger, I think we might pull off a 5 yr. $40 mil. type of deal. If it is Avril, that same deal is not happening. Besides, I'd take my chances with an OLB that has learnt the tricks of the LB trade from Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.

You have to factor in that Mathis is on the other side for Kruger, much like he had Suggs to gauge some level of production as bang for the buck. If you are not confident about trotting out a stout D-line, then go with Kruger to win more one-on-one battles on the run front. If you are confident that your D-line would be stout and your LB would be able to make more plays than just ward off OLs and TEs, then go with Avril.

I am leaning towards Kruger at this point.

while i would like avril over kruger, questions do come up like how well he would do as a LB since he hasnt played that position in the nfl and was he just a product of being on the same line as suh and fairley

Yes, but you must also consider that Mathis benefitted from Freeney. Freeney was always double teamed leaving less people to watch for Mathis. Kruger was the same way in Balt, which probably won't transition into much production for either of the OLBs. I would prefer Avril

There context he said it in was more like "who wouldnt want that kind of money" NEVER anywhere did it say he was seeking that much. IJust that every player would like that money

Thats why I said whether he was joking or being sarcastic which is what that was a form of to me. Well see what happens with it.

Just trade down to top of round 2 and get Jamie Collins. Pick up an extra 3rd and spend that on OLB too. There are alternatives, if deals cannot get done. Or ask Kruger to give us a Pagano discount :). (j/k)

If it is Kruger, I think we might pull off a 5 yr. $40 mil. type of deal. If it is Avril, that same deal is not happening. Besides, I'd take my chances with an OLB that has learnt the tricks of the LB trade from Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.

You have to factor in that Mathis is on the other side for Kruger, much like he had Suggs to gauge some level of production as bang for the buck. If you are not confident about trotting out a stout D-line, then go with Kruger to win more one-on-one battles on the run front. If you are confident that your D-line would be stout and your LB would be able to make more plays than just ward off OLs and TEs, then go with Avril.

I am leaning towards Kruger at this point.

Nice post. Both of them have some risk involved. I'm actually leaning more towards Avril at the moment but we're talking 55/45. I don't know how much I love either of them: don't feel like either are a sure thing but Avril is the more proven, consistent player and has made a solid impact since he entered the league. I do think it's worth taking a risk as long as the contract for either is friendly if they don't have really good production by year 3 (by that I mean, don't back-load guaranteed money, so cutting them is feasible).