Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have placed the franchise tag on Pat McAfee

Coltswarriors

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't think this would be hard deal to do.  5 years 12.5 million.  If he really wants us to show him the money, 5 years 15 million.  

But oh well, it doesn't cost us much and it's not like we where going to use the tag on anyone else. 

Good move.

You just can't let Patty Mac walk. It would be ridiculously hard to find a punter that's as good and as charismatic as him. 

Hope both sides can reach a long term deal asap.

yes, and if any of you have listened to local radio lately....   Mac has been very "uptight" about getting it done and getting it done with INDY.     He wanted to stay bad.    Now he knows he will.

They still can. But now they don't have to worry about getting it done immediately.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I thought I'd read that teams can't negotiate with their own FAs until something like 3/7, and that the deadline for tags was coming up before that. Leaving a UFA like McAfee un-tagged, then, would leave him open to negotiating with other teams, and choosing to go elsewhere, regardless of what the Colts offer... do I have that right?

Mac was arguably Indy's second most valuable player after Luck this last season.     Field position is something you don't worry about until you consistently never have it.  

Mac is worthy of top dollar, plus wasn't he the teams leading special teams tackler in 11?    Not sure but...    

this is crazy. i don't believe there is that much difference in punters to justify this much money. i would never do this.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/17/3995504/nfl-league-calendar-2013-combine-free-agency-franchise-tag

Feb 18 it started....

I'm probably wrong about this, but I thought I'd read that teams can't negotiate with their own FAs until something like 3/7, and that the deadline for tags was coming up before that. Leaving a UFA like McAfee un-tagged, then, would leave him open to negotiating with other teams, and choosing to go elsewhere, regardless of what the Colts offer... do I have that right?

this is crazy. i don't believe there is that much difference in punters to justify this much money. i would never do this.

Again, not expert on this, but isn't it only avg. of top 10 at his position? If punters are generally not worth much, this would only pay him as a roughly 5th highest paid... I think he's worth every penny of that, at least.

Doesn't even cost $3 million in cap space and they where probably going to pay him somewhere around that, maybe a little less anyways.  

This just lets us get a deal done on our own time without having to look over our back for other teams that might want to poach him.  He's the top punter in free agency.  

Hmmm! The Giants just signed William Beatty, one of their FA tackles.

We may yet replace Vinatari this year and certainly next year with a kicker who takes over the kickoff responsibilities, making McAfee less valuable.

Pat does a nice job on punts, but I don`t see him being that much better than a Minimum wager.

MUCH Rather spend the $2-2.5 M on a position player.

We may yet replace Vinatari this year and certainly next year with a kicker who takes over the kickoff responsibilities, making McAfee less valuable.

Pat does a nice job on punts, but I don`t see him being that much better than a Minimum wager.

You don't see the value in having a good punter and would rather page minimum wage for a bad one instead?  

I don't really think we should replace Vinatari yet, his contract runs out at the end of next year.  Let him play out the year, run out the contract and not have any dead money.  

All I can say is that I'm glad your not our GM by some of the post you have made. :)

You don't see the value in having a good punter and would rather page minimum wage for a bad one instead?  

I don't really think we should replace Vinatari yet, his contract runs out at the end of next year.  Let him play out the year, run out the contract and not have any dead money.  

You are right, I stand corrected. The ONLY punters available are all BAD.

.....I think this is a fine move...and he should be OK with it....

Folks..Vinatieri's going to kick for us until he's 45...both are now signed..

.....we dont have kicking problems.....

now the big issue..Did that cheerleader Megan's hair ever grow back..?

That girl needed her hair

$1.2 Million of dead money is Nothing for this year. Griggs won`t come even close to spending all our $$$.

By replacing Vinatteri you would $AVE about $1.8 Million and very likely have a better kicker.

.....I think this is a fine move...and he should be OK with it....

Folks..Vinatieri's going to kick for us until he's 45...both are now signed..

.....we dont have kicking problems.....

now the big issue..Did that cheerleader Megan's hair ever grow back..?

That girl needed her hair

Megan is super hot with or without the hair.   Should be in to some degreee by now though.   Colts Forum should contact her and do an update.

I highly doubt he plays the season on the tag. This helps us secure him long term, which is what the goal is. There's no one else on the team worthy of this tool this season.

You just do not watch Indy Colt football......

Glad U ain't he GM BRO....       One doesn't notice until one doesn't HAVE one.. ...    

Then all of a sudden....     ???