Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is receiver really a need?

Slick_Rick

Is receiver a true need?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Receiver a need?

• Yes
    • No

I think WR is a need...just not as huge as OL DE CB S OLB ....but it is still a need.

i dont expect us to be our focus this FA or Draft, but i think it will addressed with a late pick or a mid tier FA as a stop gap for next draft.

but yes, it is a need. if Wayne/TY goes down and we dont have Avery who the heck starts?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so you think there is zero need for wr this year?

Absolutely. We're going to a WCO. The most we need is 4 WR's. Can we at least give Brazill & Co. A chance to have a DECENT Offensive Line to aee what they can do? I just think people are writing them off too soon. We just got them last year, give them a chance to do something before we put WR as a need ABOVE CB.

I think WR is a need...just not as huge as OL DE CB S OLB ....but it is still a need.

i dont expect us to be our focus this FA or Draft, but i think it will addressed with a late pick or a mid tier FA as a stop gap for next draft.

but yes, it is a need. if Wayne/TY goes down and we dont have Avery who the heck starts?

Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, or the 6'6 Guy who we don't know lol

Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, or the 6'6 Guy who we don't know lol

i know i mean we have guys but my point is it hinders our offensive personnels...i like brazil but lets say TY and Brazil have to start.....i dont think any DC will really lose any sleep

and we probably losee some surprises we might had

i know i mean we have guys but my point is it hinders our offensive personnels...i like brazil but lets say TY and Brazil have to start.....i dont think any DC will really lose any sleep

and we probably losee some surprises we might had

2 Fast WR's?? I'd lose some sleep. If we get a oline that let's Andrew have 3-5 Seconds in the Pocket.... there's no telling what our Smurfs can do. Actually, TY showed it against Houston on that 3 & 20+ Bomb TD. I think our Smurfs have the potential to be Defensive Nightmares with Reggie teaching them a thing or two

2 Fast WR's?? I'd lose some sleep. If we get a oline that let's Andrew have 3-5 Seconds in the Pocket.... there's no telling what our Smurfs can do. Actually, TY showed it against Houston on that 3 & 20+ Bomb TD. I think our Smurfs have the potential to be Defensive Nightmares with Reggie teaching them a thing or two

i agree on the speed stuff but you still need someone reliable on third down besides allen and fleener is a question mark so far..i like to believe he will suceed in his second year but still its a question mark IMO.

Wayne may not go fast as TY but he still gets them Oone on ones and he still makes defenses focus on him. Ty is not there

yet

Absolutely. We're going to a WCO. The most we need is 4 WR's. Can we at least give Brazill & Co. A chance to have a DECENT Offensive Line to aee what they can do? I just think people are writing them off too soon. We just got them last year, give them a chance to do something before we put WR as a need ABOVE CB.

I stopped reading when you said the most wr's we need is four. I don't care what offense you run, you need more than four wr's .

We dont need another WR... TY will become #2 and he will learn from Reggie this off season. We could get a high WR, but we got red zone targets in fleener, and the WCO doesnt scream jump balls, so I believe we are totally fine this season with our WRs, maybe even let Avery go and see what brazill and whalen can do. I am personally hoping for Whalen to get a shot!

I voted yes, I think there should be a plan to bring in Reggie's eventual successor & if Grigs thinks that guy is in this draft then by all means draft him...

but personally, not being a huge college football guy & not knowing the draftee prospects really well, I feel that for 2013 season just bring back Avery on a one year deal (if possible) then with Wayne, Hilton, Bravil, Whalen, & tall arena league guy, the Colts should have enough to get the job done for this next season...

If Grigs addresses the other team needs successfully in FA & the draft, then he can seriously look at draftng Reggie's eventual successor in an early round in next years draft...

That'd be my strategy at least...

We dont need another WR... TY will become #2 and he will learn from Reggie this off season. We could get a high WR, but we got red zone targets in fleener, and the WCO doesnt scream jump balls, so I believe we are totally fine this season with our WRs, maybe even let Avery go and see what brazill and whalen can do. I am personally hoping for Whalen to get a shot!

This is the SAME thing I've been saying. Let's see what our young guys can do

50 dropped passes...most in the league in 2012.  WR is a need...but not over solidifying the O-Line.

1. TRADE TRADE TRADE

2. Cooper, Fluker, Johnson (OL) or Ansah (OLB) Datone Jones (DE)

3. Watson (OL) Schwenke (OL) or Williams (DL)

3. Swearinger (FS) or Bostic (LB) or Cornelius Washington (LB) or DaRick Rogers (WR)

4. Kwame Geathers (NT) or Cornelius Washington (LB) or Cobi Hamilton (WR)

5. Montori Hughes (DL) or Zeke Motta (SS)

6. Aaron Mellett (WR) or Josh Evans (FS)

7. Brad Wing (P)

FA Kelley 6'6" (WR) Killeen (OLB/DE)

I think the biggest issue people have....is they want another "popular name" WR. IMO that's all it boils down too. People don't believe in Hilton or Brazill yet, so they want a guy they've heard of before. Bad business practice, but that's why fans don't make the decisions.

I don't think its too much of a need right now. I think a healthy Griff Whalen can step up into a WR2/3 role for us. I loved the flashes I saw from him in preseason and I think he's perfect in the WCO. Quick in and out of his cuts, crisp routes, hands all day, and familiar with the scheme.

If we can address all of our major needs via free agency, I'm all for taking a WR with one of our higher picks, but OL, DL, 3-4 OLB, CB, and Safety are all way ahead of WR..

FCFNo.gif

UH, WHAT? WR?....you gonna be kidding me -omg- !!! Let's stop thinking about WR's, and put into perspective the number of pass catchers on the team. The days of a wide receiver, catching 100plus passes is coming to an end. Fleener & Allen will catch 100 passes between them. Reggie, Lavon, Nathan, and Jeremy will share 300 receptions between the four of them, with the backs sharing 50 - 70 passes between them. Until we get an effective running game, we will be throwing the ball 60 - 65% of the time, after the patchwork for the OLine has been completed.

i'm hoping kelley is a diamond on the rough

I'm not expecting him to breakout this year, but I'm hoping he shows enough to warrant a roster spot. I like to think of Kelley as a rookie that just had an extended college career? The speed at the pro level will be too much initially, but I think he has some serious potential..

FCFNo.gif

UH, WHAT? WR?....you gonna be kidding me -omg- !!! Let's stop thinking about WR's, and put into perspective the number of pass catchers on the team. The days of a wide receiver, catching 100plus passes is coming to an end. Fleener & Allen will catch 100 passes between them. Reggie, Lavon, Nathan, and Jeremy will share 300 receptions between the four of them, with the backs sharing 50 - 70 passes between them. Until we get an effective running game, we will be throwing the ball 60 - 65% of the time, after the patchwork for the OLine has been completed.

So you are saying those 4 receivers will average about 75 catches between them? Besides Reggie and Lavon, weren't the rest undrafted? Not every undrafted becomes Rod Smith.

So you are saying those 4 receivers will average about 75 catches between them? Besides Reggie and Lavon, weren't the rest undrafted? Not every undrafted becomes Rod Smith.

How can anyone, accurately predict the number of catches that any pass catcher is gonna have? :bag: ....Stop looking at my stat projection, and see my point. The Indianapolis Colts do not need to spend any more money on pass catchers. Wayne,Fleener, Allen, Hilton,Kelley,Brazill,Palmer, and Whalen, give the colts enough W.M.D.'s, (weapons of mass destructive) for us to destroy our oppenents city in less than 60 minutes. With Hilton, Palmer, and Brazill(long-range weapons), we can hit anything within a 70 yard radius. Wayne,Fleener, Allen, & Kelley are matchup nightmares for LB's, and inexperienced/short DB's, and our running backs seem to catch the ball, better than they run it. After Grigson, thru free agency, puts these cemet patches on our offensive wall, our offense is gonna finish in the top 8 next season........I'll take Jeremy Kelly over Rod Smith anyday...(Yes, i know who is, so does John Elway) If we don't draft a more explosive RB, the ratio for running vs passing will be something close to 35/65....

How can anyone, accurately predict the number of catches that any pass catcher is gonna have? :bag: ....Stop looking at my stat projection, and see my point. The Indianapolis Colts do not need to spend any more money on pass catchers. Wayne,Fleener, Allen, Hilton,Kelley,Brazill,Palmer, and Whalen, give the colts enough W.M.D.'s, (weapons of mass destructive) for us to destroy our oppenents city in less than 60 minutes. With Hilton, Palmer, and Brazill(long-range weapons), we can hit anything within a 70 yard radius. Wayne,Fleener, Allen, & Kelley are matchup nightmares for LB's, and inexperienced/short DB's, and our running backs seem to catch the ball, better than they run it. After Grigson, thru free agency, puts these cemet patches on our offensive wall, our offense is gonna finish in the top 8 next season........I'll take Jeremy Kelly over Rod Smith anyday...(Yes, i know who is, so does John Elway) If we don't draft a more explosive RB, the ratio for running vs passing will be something close to 35/65....

No a fan of those analogies. lol

However, I do agree we have quite a few WR's and another late round/UDFA WR isn't needed. As far as pass catchers on our team, the only ones that are proven to be consistently effective are Wayne, Hilton, and Allen. Fleener didn't do enough for me last year, although I think he'll do much better this year. Brazill, Palmer, Kelley, and Whalen have done little to nothing to cement themselves as starting material. I wouldn't say we're completely loaded at the WR position, but we have some serviceable bodies. What we are going to need is that strong #2 WR that can eventually take the weight off of Reggie's shoulders; like he did with Marvin. Luckily the WR talent is very deep in this draft and the guys you'll be able to get in RD 4/5, would in years past be a low 2, high 3. I have faith in Grigs..

I think it is. We have Reggie. He is still good, but isn't getting younger. T.Y. showed flashes, but was inconsistent. We are parting with Austin Collie. Donnie Avery, at this point in his career, is never going to be someone that the opposing team has to plan for. The TEs are still young and are relied on to block a whole lot.

I'm not saying we go get a big name like Dwayne Bowe, but do we really want to trust our QB's formative years in the NFL with those folks? I mean Reggie, yes, but there has got to be a need. Why not bring in a younger receiver that Luck can get the ball to? Let's face it the longer Luck has to hold onto the ball, the more he will be hit. I know with the WCO we will be focusing on short, quick routes, but even so, can the receivers catch the ball?

I voted no its not a need .   I believe Pep Hamilton will utilize the TE's alot more than BA . I also believe Ryan Grigson will draft best available if there is a WR that he likes need or not he'll pull the trigger .

Yes/no.

It depends on what we do with Avery.  If we keep him then not really as we would have four proven WRs coming back and you pretty much get a fifth WR coming out of camp to round out the roster.

If we don't keep Avery then it becomes a bit more a need as we would only have three proven WRs on the roster and that is counting Brazil who has seen limited action.  That doesn't mean the Colts HAVE to go get a guy like Jennings or draft one in round one.  They could very easily round out the roster with guys like Whalen and Palmer.  It just depends on how much faith the Colts have in them. 

Either it's not the biggest need on the roster but picking up a WR might not hurt. 

Since a lot of people want another receiver, or think we need to address the WR corps, if NE doesn't exercise the option, just pick up Brandon Lloyd for a few years. He'll be cheap, he's got great hands, runs good routes, and would be a perfect compliment to Reggie, leaving TY in the slot, where he is most effective. He had almost 1k yards last year for NE as basically a 3rd or 4th option. Lloyd is a proven commodity, unlike Barden or another rookie. I can't see wasting a draft pick on a WR at this time, with Ty and Brazill on the team.

The focus of the draft this year should be OL and CB..We need to protect our QB first and foremost...

Yes it is a need.  It's not their biggest need -- that would be O-Line, but is something they need to look at.

Reggie (while great in 2012) is just going to get older -- the rest of the group (assuming Avery is gone) were 1st year guys.   They need to find another vet WR.

Oh good God, you're opening the flood gates. In reality, no.....it's not a "need". It's a want from those obsessed with skill positions and adding more weapons. Thats nice and all, but when we have so many positions that need upgraded much more, then WR becomes a luxury and IMO we shouldn't be adding luxury players at this point.

Lol Brother let them dream,unfortinatley when we go after FAs and Draft picks ,the dreams will be shattered