Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is receiver really a need?

Slick_Rick

Is receiver a true need?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Receiver a need?

• Yes
    • No

I think it is. We have Reggie. He is still good, but isn't getting younger. T.Y. showed flashes, but was inconsistent. We are parting with Austin Collie. Donnie Avery, at this point in his career, is never going to be someone that the opposing team has to plan for. The TEs are still young and are relied on to block a whole lot.

I'm not saying we go get a big name like Dwayne Bowe, but do we really want to trust our QB's formative years in the NFL with those folks? I mean Reggie, yes, but there has got to be a need. Why not bring in a younger receiver that Luck can get the ball to? Let's face it the longer Luck has to hold onto the ball, the more he will be hit. I know with the WCO we will be focusing on short, quick routes, but even so, can the receivers catch the ball?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good God, you're opening the flood gates. In reality, no.....it's not a "need". It's a want from those obsessed with skill positions and adding more weapons. Thats nice and all, but when we have so many positions that need upgraded much more, then WR becomes a luxury and IMO we shouldn't be adding luxury players at this point.

You really didn't even need a poll. Heck, just look through a couple of pages on the forum and you'll see that many Colts fans have Polianitus. A sickness where one feels the need to add more and more skill positions and overpay WR's that you don't need. It can be serious and the long term diagnosis is consistently bowing out early in the playoffs and getting fired from your job.

Yes, it's a need but there are certainly other positions that are more of a need then WR.  

I would say Interior line and a 3-4 Outside linebacker with pass rush abilities are more of a need.  

I would go this way in terms of needs.  

1. Interior Line

2. 3-4 Outside linebacker who can rush the passer.

3. WR

4. CB

5. RT - Justice isn't a long term solution but it wouldn't kill us if we had him for another year.

6. SS

I'm not excited about the prospect of going into next season with Donnie Avery at WR2.  Hilton I don't think would represent much of an upgrade at WR2. . . he hasn't convinced me he's more then a WR3 yet.  Brazille is a WR4 or 5.  

We need someone who can be a WR2 at least and maybe someone who can become a WR1 after Reggie retires.  I'm a little concerned about Reggie because he dropped off in production at the end of the season.  But I believe some of that has to do with teams realizing they don't have to worry too much about Donnie Avery and focusing on covering Reggie.

You really didn't even need a poll. Heck, just look through a couple of pages on the forum and you'll see that many Colts fans have Polianitus. A sickness where one feels the need to add more and more skill positions and overpay WR's that you don't need. It can be serious and the long term diagnosis is consistently bowing out early in the playoffs and getting fired from your job.

All those threads get hi-jacked by this particular topic, so why not create it. It ought to make the mod's job easier. I still see at as a glaring need, honestly. Yes, we need an olb, cb, nt, and OL help, but we are one Reggie Wayne injury from being in some very, very, serious trouble offensively.

All those threads get hi-jacked by this particular topic, so why not create it. It ought to make the mod's job easier. I still see at as a glaring need, honestly. Yes, we need an olb, cb, nt, and OL help, but we are one Reggie Wayne injury from being in some very, very, serious trouble offensively.

We may be anyways.  Reggie really dropped off at the tail end of the season.  I am hoping that's just because team's focused on covering him because they knew Avery wasn't gonna get open that often.  But you can't rule out age catching up with him either.

But even if we presume the best, that still means we have to get a WR2 that can get open and make the catch.   Just to take some of the coverage off of Wayne.  

I have no problem addressing the WR position as long as the other much more glaring area's gets filled 1st. Heck, I don't even have a problem picking a WR with our 1st rd. pick. Just as long as.....like I said, other positions are filled in free agency. I have confidence in our WR's we have right now and if they decide to bring in a little depth and competition on the cheap in free agency then thats good too, but I am totally and completely dead set against signing a high dollar WR that will do nothing but take away from the money we need to spend on area's of far greater need.

This topic can go either way, imo. We're switching to a WCO, so we're changing to a style that only two players on our offense have ever run, that being Luck and Fleener. We don't know how well Wayne, Hilton, Allen and co will adjust to that play style. So to say we need WR's? It's a toss up.

I'd rather have my coat and not need it.

Wr is not a need this year maybe next year. Luck threw for 4,300 yards and that's without Fleener for 6 games.

People seem to not understand this fact. We will have the exact same cast of WR's(with the possible exception of Avery) and Luck set rookie passing records with these guys catching the passes. Add to that....that each one will have another yr. of experience, Fleener back into a style of offense he's completely familiar with, and Whalen added to the mix. This sillyness of "were in trouble with what we got" is complete * IMO. We would be fine if we didn't do anything with the WR position next season.

how about a solid Rb like Eddie Lacy, i would think taking him with our late 1st round pick, get bowe as a freeagent for WR, then pick the best player available with the remaining picks

Then you just threw away your best pick and 10+ million dollars on positions that aren't a need. Unless there is a RB like Adrian Peterson available, teams are nuts to use 1st rders. on RB's.

Yes I think so. I would put O-Line, LB, and CB ahead of WR. That being said I really want to like Brazill, and I'm sure in time I will but as of right now I'm not comfortable enough with any WR not named Hilton or Wayne to say we don't need one.

People seem to not understand this fact. We will have the exact same cast of WR's(with the possible exception of Avery) and Luck set rookie passing records with these guys catching the passes. Add to that....that each one will have another yr. of experience, Fleener back into a style of offense he's completely familiar with, and Whalen added to the mix. This sillyness of "were in trouble with what we got" is complete * IMO. We would be fine if we didn't do nothing with the WR position next season.

Yes but I can't say that Luck set that record in an efficient manner.  And that's to be expected, he had to throw a lot of balls away to avoid the sack and was under a lot of pressure.  But another part of that was drops and the fact that Avery couldn't get open and when he did he dropped the ball half the time.  Hilton showed some flashes but I havn't seen something from him that makes me want to promote him to WR2.  The fact that he stayed at 3 tells me the coaches where not ready to promote him to 2 either despite Avery's problems.

O-line - Especially guard is a bigger need by far, and I would say a 3-4 OLB to replace Freeney is also a bigger need.  You could make an argument for CB as well being a bigger need.  

But after that we need a reliable 2 at least, if not someone who can become a #1 after Wayne retires.  

Bowe would be nice but I don't think we necessarily need him.  But we do need an upgrade at WR2 and I don't see anyone on the roster right now who I believe can do that job.

Then you just threw away your best pick and 10+ million dollars on positions that aren't a need. Unless there is a RB like Adrian Peterson available, teams are nuts to use 1st rders. on RB's.

I agree with the 2nd part.  RB's in general arn't worth first rounders.  The two big things that go into a good run game is having a good O-line and having a good enough pass game that they won't load the box nearly every down. 

good rb's are hard to find and great ones even harder, don't be surprised when green bay takes him in the first round, not saying he is great but he is good and better than what we have.

Yes, it's a need but there are certainly other positions that are more of a need then WR.  

I would say Interior line and a 3-4 Outside linebacker with pass rush abilities are more of a need.  

1. Interior Line

3. WR

4. CB

5. RT - Justice isn't a long term solution but it wouldn't kill us if we had him for another year.

6. SS

I'm not excited about the prospect of going into next season with Donnie Avery at WR2.  Hilton I don't think would represent much of an upgrade at WR2. . . he hasn't convinced me he's more then a WR3 yet.  Brazille is a WR4 or 5.  

We need someone who can be a WR2 at least and maybe someone who can become a WR1 after Reggie retires.  I'm a little concerned about Reggie because he dropped off in production at the end of the season.  But I believe some of that has to do with teams realizing they don't have to worry too much about Donnie Avery and focusing on covering Reggie.

I agree with your list except that WR Should be lower in need. RT, CB, and SS are all bigger needs than WR. Reggie said during the season that he had taken TY under his wing and believes he will be great one day. I can see him being a good number 2 if he gets in the weight room like Grigs told him to. I think Reggie slowed down at the end of the year because TY was coming on more. 

Yes but I can't say that Luck set that record in an efficient manner.  And that's to be expected, he had to throw a lot of balls away to avoid the sack and was under a lot of pressure.  But another part of that was drops and the fact that Avery couldn't get open and when he did he dropped the ball half the time.  Hilton showed some flashes but I havn't seen something from him that makes me want to promote him to WR2.  The fact that he stayed at 3 tells me the coaches where not ready to promote him to 2 either despite Avery's problems.

O-line - Especially guard is a bigger need by far, and I would say a 3-4 OLB to replace Freeney is also a bigger need.  You could make an argument for CB as well being a bigger need.  

But after that we need a reliable 2 at least, if not someone who can become a #1 after Wayne retires.  

Bowe would be nice but I don't think we necessarily need him.  But we do need an upgrade at WR2 and I don't see anyone on the roster right now who I believe can do that job.

I agree with the 2nd part.  RB's in general arn't worth first rounders.  The two big things that go into a good run game is having a good O-line and having a good enough pass game that they won't load the box nearly every down. 

I agree that O-line, OLBer, CB and even safety are all much bigger needs than WR. I think Avery's drops are overstated by many, he actually had less drops than Reggie last yr.. Now, he was targeted less than Reggie, but Avery wasn't as bad as many think he was. It wouldn't bother me a bit if we brought him back. I heard Mike Chappel on the local ESPN station this morning say that Hilton has already added 10+ lbs since the end of the season and that Grigson thinks he can be our #2. Like I've said before....I have no problem adding a WR, but I will be absolutely irate if we spend 10+ million dollars of our free agent money on a guy like Bowe/Wallace/Jennings. It's just not necessary.

Our receiver play has not been the issue.  Our number 1...most import issue is O-Line.  I am a firm believer that if we can make strides on our Offensive Line the rest falls into place.  We have adequate receivers and, I believe, above average TE.

WR becomes a concern next year.  Now, if someone makes us a deal we cannot refuse, we have to take it, but beyond that I would go out searching.

good rb's are hard to find and great ones even harder, don't be surprised when green bay takes him in the first round, not saying he is great but he is good and better than what we have.

Green Bay can throw away their picks on RB's all they want, but most NFL teams over the last few yrs. especially, have started to realize that RB's are not a high value pick in the draft. They have to be something really special like A.P.. The key to a successful running game is a good O-line. With a good O-line, most NFL caliber RB's can be very successful and look better than they really are. Right now with our current O-line, we could bring in A.P. and a 25 yr. old Barry Sanders and they wouldn't be able to do anything. I have been saying it for yrs., but RB is the most over rated position in football.

If we address the O-line, Pass Rush, or DB in FA, then yes, a receiver is a need.

Imagine if we pick up somone like Vasques on the O-line, someone like Kruger as a pass rusher, and someone like DRC or Cason as a DB in free agency, it would alter the way we may draft.

I would then be okay going after a guy like Keenan Allen in the first round. He's 6'2", a playmaker with great route running and good hands. He's a very likely replacement for Reggie Wayne.

In the subsequent rounds, we can address depth issues.

I agree that O-line, OLBer, CB and even safety are all much bigger needs than WR. I think Avery's drops are overstated by many, he actually had less drops than Reggie last yr.. Now, he was targeted less than Reggie, but Avery wasn't as bad as many think he was. It wouldn't bother me a bit if we brought him back. I heard Mike Chappel on the local ESPN station this morning say that Hilton has already added 10+ lbs since the end of the season and that Grigson thinks he can be our #2. Like I've said before....I have no problem adding a WR, but I will be absolutely irate if we spend 10+ million dollars of our free agent money on a guy like Bowe/Wallace/Jennings. It's just not necessary.

See I don't think we did that bad at SS that it should go over a WR.   I hope Hilton can be a #2, I just am not confident in it yet.

As far as those guys.  I don't think Jenning's is worth 10 million.  Wallace I don't want because he's a guy that duplicate's Hilton's skill set.  Bowe is the only one that I'd be really interested in at 10 million.  But I think there is a decent argument for bringing in a less costly guy.  

But I believe we have to bring someone in and inject some talent and some size at WR.  Because even if Hilton can be a #2. . . Then who is our #3??  I'm not too high on Brazill . . . He made like 1 good play last year for the TD in Detroit.  Other then that I don't remember him doing anything that really impressed me.   

I'd be happy if we drafted a WR in the first round if we have the other needs filled.  I tend to think they might go CB.

See I don't think we did that bad at SS that it should go over a WR.   I hope Hilton can be a #2, I just am not confident in it yet.

As far as those guys.  I don't think Jenning's is worth 10 million.  Wallace I don't want because he's a guy that duplicate's Hilton's skill set.  Bowe is the only one that I'd be really interested in at 10 million.  But I think there is a decent argument for bringing in a less costly guy.  

But I believe we have to bring someone in and inject some talent and some size at WR.  Because even if Hilton can be a #2. . . Then who is our #3??  I'm not too high on Brazill . . . He made like 1 good play last year for the TD in Detroit.  Other then that I don't remember him doing anything that really impressed me.   

I'd be happy if we drafted a WR in the first round if we have the other needs filled.  I tend to think they might go CB.

The WR I've been harping on for the last 2 months is Ramses Barden. He's 6'6" 230lbs. He's only had limited action with the Giants, but in that time he has played, he has been very good. I think we could get him for pretty cheap and he would add more size to our WR corps. 

1. Interior Line

3. WR

4. CB

6. SS

I'm not excited about the prospect of going into next season with Donnie Avery at WR2. Hilton I don't think would represent much of an upgrade at WR2. . . he hasn't convinced me he's more then a WR3 yet. Brazille is a WR4 or 5.

We need someone who can be a WR2 at least and maybe someone who can become a WR1 after Reggie retires. I'm a little concerned about Reggie because he dropped off in production at the end of the season. But I believe some of that has to do with teams realizing they don't have to worry too much about Donnie Avery and focusing on covering Reggie.

So finding a WR is more important to you than making sure Vaughn never touches the field again??

Man....... that's a pretty interesting order of need you have there

I don't understand all of the topics I am reading about needing a big receiver this, big receiver that, look we do need another receiver but it has nothing to do with his size.....I feel that we need another receiver  with good hands, a receiver with good hands can make a lot happen, look at some of the missed balls by Avery, and some of the other 2nd hand receivers we have, if their hand eye coordination was there some of the misses would have turned into 6......I do believe that we need another WR to compliment Reggie, and I put it in the hands of Grigson, and the Front office to make this call and i know they will, maybe im a homer but how about Tavon Austin from WV.........(if he inst gone before our pick)..

Yes, it is definitely a need. However, it's not a need that requires a high draft pick/millions of dollars in FA this year. I think we need to bring in a guy to compete for the #2 or slot position. We don't need Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace. Reggie is our #1 for at least another season.

Avery had a drop rate of 16.7% (highest in the league) compared to Wayne's 3% (lowest in the league). I don't think his drops are overstated at all.

In theory, every position we have is a need. I rank our need for a WR near the bottom of the list of needs. 

Wayne still has plenty left in the tank, Hilton will eventually be the number 1 receiver, Brazil can be another copy of Garcon.

We have a good leader in Wayne and good young players beneath him like Hilton & Brazil. 

With the revolution of the passing game, WRs coming out of college are getting better and better and their is less and less disparity between a 1st round guy and a 3rd round guy. You can pick up a good WR late in the draft.

Yes I think so. I would put O-Line, LB, and CB ahead of WR. That being said I really want to like Brazill, and I'm sure in time I will but as of right now I'm not comfortable enough with any WR not named Hilton or Wayne to say we don't need one.

If Grigson brings in a FA receiver and a draftee, we may know something about Brazill.....

Not every receiver comes aboard and is an immediate 'hit.'  I am hoping Brazill comes along nicely.  He seems to have the right attitude....loves special teams :)

One guy I hope we look at long and hard is Da'Rick Rogers.  He was one of the top WR recruits in the country in 2010.  He went to Tennessee and played sparingly as a freshman.  He then had a breakout sophomore year and was the leading returning receiver in the SEC for 2012.  He was then dismissed from the team prior to the season because of marijuana use.  I know this will be a red flag but if he has shown he has given up drugs to focus fully on football I wouldn't have a problem drafting him in the 3rd round or later.  Most of his problems seem to be maturity related but with our staff and veteran players, I think they could easily be fixed.  He has a good combination of size, speed and athleticism to play on the outside and give us a bigger receiver that we lack.  I think he could definitely be one of the mid round steals of the draft if he has truly decided to stay out of trouble.