1. 1. Receiver a need?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that during the season, many people were complaining about how bad Luck's completion percentage was. A lot can be blamed on the O-Line, but when we have 2 of our 3 starting receivers at the bottom 5 in drop percentage, how can we not need an upgrade? Even a small one? I'm not clamoring for Bowe, Wallace, or Welker, but I, for one, do not trust this corps if Reggie were to go down.

Yes it's a need because if Hilton or Wayne get hurt, we're slim at WR all of a sudden. We need to upgrade the 3 spot.

I still think that Grigson has confidence in Brazill or Palmer to be that 3rd guy. Add in Whalen, Sambrano, and Kelly to compete for 2 more spots and IMO were fine if we don't add anybody. You can't build a team by worrying about if someone gets injured. Injuries can happen anywhere on the roster and you can't have starting material backups throughout the roster. It's just not possible.

I still think that Grigson has confidence in Brazill or Palmer to be that 3rd guy. Add in Whalen, Sambrano, and Kelly to compete for 2 more spots and IMO were fine if we don't add anybody. You can't build a team by worrying about if someone gets injured. Injuries can happen anywhere on the roster and you can't have starting material backups throughout the roster. It's just not possible.

I'm not talking about a back up, I talking about the 3rd/ slot receiver. Lets say right now that's Avery, then it can be upgraded. He's shown flashes of being a good WR but he also shows he's not that dependable. He's not exactly starting material, he's close but he makes for a perfect backup. What if he, Wayne, or Hilton go down? We should not depend on Brazill, Whalen, or Palmer, they are projects/emergency depth.

I'm not talking about a back up, I talking about the 3rd/ slot receiver. Lets say right now that's Avery, then it can be upgraded. He's shown flashes of being a good WR but he also shows he's not that dependable. He's not exactly starting material, he's close but he makes for a perfect backup. What if he, Wayne, or Hilton go down? We should not depend on Brazill, Whalen, or Palmer, they are projects/emergency depth.

Avery is a free agent

I think Brazill is going to surprise people and Palmer showed promise. I also believe that Whalen can step into the slot role easily. I don't think it's fair to judge any of our receivers on last yrs. performances. Reggie was the only one with significant experience, Hilton, Brazill, and Palmer were all rookies playing in a brand new system, with a rookie QB throwing them the ball. It takes time to get comfortable with each other especially when all of them were brand new to the league. IMO Grigson is going to give them a chance to show what they are made of this season and I think he has confidence in them. I just think people were expecting pro-bowl performance out of 3 rookie's and it just wasn't realistic. There is much more to factor in to this coming season, than last yrs. performance's

I did not vote :)  I just now read every single comment.  I need some Bayer Advanced Please.....I must be getting ill :)

Seriously, I can see both sides of this.  Reggie is old.....but so darned smooth..... :thmsup: TY has that burst that makes you think if he catches the pass in the open field...He Gone... :burnout:  :td: !!!!!  We have 2 soon to be household names at TE in Allen and  Fleener.

Who else is 'proven?.'  Palmer?  UFA  Whalen?  UFA.  Sambrano UFA.  Kelley?  AFL/CFL  Brazill (Some of us feel he is ready to show his skills)

While I agree with the side that says WR is not the number 1 need....with the lack of known productivity in the backup position there is a perceived need.

I would not cry if Grigson brings in a solid WR via FA.  My thoughts are he would not sign the Bowes or the Wallaces.  More like the Barden's or even Hartline's....less $$$$.

I would not be surprised if Grigson drafts a WR late.....and I do think it will be a big WR...someone like Aaron Mellette of Elon.

The bottom line is...this team as mentioned needs OL 1, CB/DB 2, OLB/DL 3 and WR ....comes in late.  Of course there is something known as BPA!!!!  That may trump all in the world of NFL GMs....namely Ryan Grigson. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!

Yes we need a WR. Even though there may be a good receiver there, I don't want to have to spend a high pick on a WR. I'd rather we just pick up a mid to high 20s WR in FA like Bowe or Wallace. They may be expensive, but when Reggie leaves we won't need to be worrying about if we have the talent thrive without him. If we kept our same receivers and didn't have Reggie next season, would you be comfortable with that? I wouldn't. People may be right that we don't really "need" to spend the money on the guys now, but we need to plan for when our number 1 receiver retires. Having a bunch of 1-2 years guys with high ceilings may not cut it.

I did not vote :)  I just now read every single comment.  I need some Bayer Advanced Please.....I must be getting ill :)

Seriously, I can see both sides of this.  Reggie is old.....but so darned smooth..... :thmsup: TY has that burst that makes you think if he catches the pass in the open field...He Gone... :burnout:  :td: !!!!!  We have 2 soon to be household names at TE in Allen and  Fleener.

Who else is 'proven?.'  Palmer?  UFA  Whalen?  UFA.  Sambrano UFA.  Kelley?  AFL/CFL  Brazill (Some of us feel he is ready to show his skills)

While I agree with the side that says WR is not the number 1 need....with the lack of known productivity in the backup position there is a perceived need.

I would not cry if Grigson brings in a solid WR via FA.  My thoughts are he would not sign the Bowes or the Wallaces.  More like the Barden's or even Hartline's....less $$$$.

I would not be surprised if Grigson drafts a WR late.....and I do think it will be a big WR...someone like Aaron Mellette of Elon.

The bottom line is...this team as mentioned needs OL 1, CB/DB 2, OLB/DL 3 and WR ....comes in late.  Of course there is something known as BPA!!!!  That may trump all in the world of NFL GMs....namely Ryan Grigson. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!

I agree 100 percent,just getting sick of WR threads when we have those glaring needs not wants in front of them,as i said if we draft one it will be late,and what we do in the Draft or the way we approach it will be affected by what we do in free agency.IMO people who worry so much about WR dont understand thisCoach and  GMs mindset,its not to just go on the field as in the PM era and just try to out touchdown people,but to be a well balanced team offensively ,deffensively and on special teams,some peoples mindsets just blow me away.Your also right if they get one it will be a larger physical type

I agree 100 percent,just getting sick of WR threads when we have those glaring needs not wants in front of them,as i said if we draft one it will be late,and what we do in the Draft or the way we approach it will be affected by what we do in free agency.IMO people who worry so much about WR dont understand thisCoach and  GMs mindset,its not to just go on the field as in the PM era and just try to out touchdown people,but to be a well balanced team offensively ,deffensively and on special teams,some peoples mindsets just blow me away.Your also right if they get one it will be a larger physical type

Well said. It baffles me too. People are still stuck in the Manning/Polian era. We're not going out there just to try and outscore everybody anymore without trying to bust people in the mouth. We are going to focus more money into the trenches on both sides of the field. We have a coach and a GM that believe in smash mouth football. The days of pansy football are over in Indy.

Well said. It baffles me too. People are still stuck in the Manning/Polian era. We're not going out there just to try and outscore everybody anymore without trying to bust people in the mouth. We are going to focus more money into the trenches on both sides of the field. We have a coach and a GM that believe in smash mouth football. The days of pansy football are over in Indy.

Lol my quota is gone my Freind but right on

You and Jay Kirk are spot on :thmup: .  I am ready for 37-0 games where we attack in all 3 phases of the game.  I have been thinking more and more about Brazill...

Get him and TY in some of the underneath routes....Brazill is not exactly a snail now is he?  I remember after the draft everyone thought he was going to be the guy instead of Hilton who excelled.....maybe this will be his coming out party!!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

You and Jay Kirk are spot on :thmup: .  I am ready for 37-0 games where we attack in all 3 phases of the game.  I have been thinking more and more about Brazill...

Get him and TY in some of the underneath routes....Brazill is not exactly a snail now is he?  I remember after the draft everyone thought he was going to be the guy instead of Hilton who excelled.....maybe this will be his coming out party!!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I gave Jay a like and apparently it was my last one again, so I'll give you a thumbs up. :thmup:

Lol outta those likes again but Brazil is just a half step behind TY,not to mention pretty good on special teams coverage

Lol outta those likes again but Brazil is just a half step behind TY,not to mention pretty good on special teams coverage

I had another one sneak back....pesky like button!

Sometimes that 2nd camp...not being the rookie anymore is all that it takes...and working out in the off season with the troops!  :)

You know it is possible to believe that WR is a need and

1) understand that the Manning & Polian era is a thing of the past

2) grasp the concept that there are other, more pressing needs

3) believe that acquiring a WR in either FA or the draft does not mean "pansy football" is on the horizon.

You said yourself that you are OK with drafting a WR in round 1 if other areas are addressed, which they absolutely will be. I get that Luck set rookie records for passing yardage with the majority of the receiving corps still on the roster. I think they have a future star in Hilton. But personally a year-older Wayne, and unprovens in Brazill, Palmer, Whalen among others makes me believe the position could use an upgrade.

3) believe that acquiring a WR in either FA or the draft does not mean "pansy football" is on the horizon.

You said yourself that you are OK with drafting a WR in round 1 if other areas are addressed, which they absolutely will be. I get that Luck set rookie records for passing yardage with the majority of the receiving corps still on the roster. I think they have a future star in Hilton. But personally a year-older Wayne, and unprovens in Brazill, Palmer, Whalen among others makes me believe the position could use an upgrade.

If other areas are addressed adequitly ,i have no problem with it

I do understand all that, but there are many here that will not be happy with our WR position until we have 5 pro bowl receivers on the roster. They are also willing to take away from area's of much bigger needs just for the sake of adding more weapons for Luck. I am a firm and stubborn believer in a team should be built starting with the trenches. I think with a strong O-line, the rest of the offense will fall into place, especially when we already have IMO the most talented young QB in football.

I do understand all that, but there are many here that will not be happy with our WR position until we have 5 pro bowl receivers on the roster. They are also willing to take away from area's of much bigger needs just for the sake of adding more weapons for Luck. I am a firm and stubborn believer in a team should be built starting with the trenches. I think with a strong O-line, the rest of the offense will fall into place, especially when we already have IMO the most talented young QB in football.

I would pay little mind to anyone who believes 5 pro bowl receivers are needed. But even the strongest supporters of (insert random WR here) have to understand there are bigger needs elsewhere.

I would pay little mind to anyone who believes 5 pro bowl receivers are needed. But even the strongest supporters of (insert random WR here) have to understand there are bigger needs elsewhere.

Sometimes I wonder. Like I said before, I have no problem adding a low cost WR or even drafting one early as long as we can fill in the other much more important needs ahead of time. I would much rather use our 1st on Rhodes, but if he's not there and the best talent left on the board is a WR, then you have to grab him.

I like Brazil & think he can be a solid reciever...

Looking at Brazil's stats, he only had 11 receptions last year, but of those 11, 7 were for first downs, & if my memory serves me right it seemed like many of those first downs were in critical situations...

Anyways, I like Brazil & think he can be a solid contributor, especially if Luck gets a little more protection & has time to actually throw the ball without being hurried, which I think contributed to alot of the "dropsies" we saw from the recievers this past season...

I think to truly "Build the Monster" for the future of the franchise Grigson needs to look at getting Reggie's eventual successor, but not this offseason... Build up the O-Line & Defense and shoot for that WR next year...

I'd like to see what the guys we have on the roster are capable of in the WCO...  We have a need a WR, but we have bigger needs elsewhere.

We will definitely need a stud WR to replace Reggie. If there weren't holes all over the defense and the O-Line it would be ideal to get that guy this offseason. He would get more time to learn from 87 and to familiarize himself with the system and our QB.

If the stars align and we do draft a WR like Woods, Hunter, ect... it won't be the end of the world as long as we also fix the O-Line and address the secondary... If we trade down and end up with a second round pick and 2 third rounders, I'd advocate trying to grab one of the guys bunched up around that level with one of those picks... just because there is no Blackmon in this draft doesn't mean there aren't future #1s in it... there are a ton of exciting players

The Colts will not fill all of their needs this offseason.. I think WR is something that can be addressed later. Passing yards wasn't one of the stats that looked awful last year...

I hope we refrain from resigning Avery, who has turrible hands... T.Y has to greatly improve his hands as well. I have some confidence in Reggie and T.Y.     its just that there are a bunch of unknowns after that...

How great would it be if somehow the huge kid we got from the AFL turned out to be a stud... stranger things have happened..

my posts just get more loquacious and meandering anymore... offseason is dulling me.. My brain is sinking into Pacers mode (a lower plane of existence) i'll come out of it in a couple weeks for FA, I hope, but right now Granger>Amendola on my priority scale...

Looking at Brazil's stats, he only had 11 receptions last year, but of those 11, 7 were for first downs, & if my memory serves me right it seemed like many of those first downs were in critical situations...

Anyways, I like Brazil & think he can be a solid contributor, especially if Luck gets a little more protection & has time to actually throw the ball without being hurried, which I think contributed to alot of the "dropsies" we saw from the recievers this past season...

I think to truly "Build the Monster" for the future of the franchise Grigson needs to look at getting Reggie's eventual successor, but not this offseason... Build up the O-Line & Defense and shoot for that WR next year...

I totally agree Buck!

Unless Grigs can get a WR in FA that makes sense in the 'Build" that WANTS to be a part of the New Indianapolis Colts....heard some rumblings players WANT to come here....

OL and D are a must as you say....this team will score points in bunches this year....Nice post!!!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Your thinking clearly Buck :thmup: well said

37 TO 0 rocks :thmup:  a great concept IMO

I don't need 5 pro-bowl receivers on the roster.  But gosh I'd really just like a WR2 that can catch and get open occasionally.  And if we are going to move TY to WR2, then I'd like to get a WR3 who can do that job.  

Either way preferably someone with some size.  We have enough of the small speedy guys, we need someone big besides Wayne.  

I'm ok with bringing in Barden for some size.  

I honestly don't think TY is at WR2 level and I certainly don't think Brazil is at WR3 level.  

Yes, we do need another WR. 

Is it our biggest need? No. But it's enough of one that bringing in another WR shouldn't be considered a luxury by any stretch. If the right value is there, I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up another WR with our 3rd rounder (so long as we still address upgrading the OL).