Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stanford's Center Last Season

HarassedOffTheSite

I don't know the kids skill set at all but just because he played for Stanford is not enough to take him UNLESS the scheme is so complicated and he excelled at line calls would be be a good pick up since that is one of the last positions we need to upgrade on the line. Again, 6 or 7th rd wouldn't be any big deal as these players have about as much chance often of making a team as the udfa players immediately picked up after the draft.

Was 5th year senior Sam Schwartzstein. Wondering if he's in our plans now that Hamilton is taking over the Offense. /Late Night Mental Meanderings

There's a numbers game with roster size. Is it worth dumping someone to give a tryout to a guy like that? Maybe, if Pep thinks he has the stuff. Apparently the scouts don't think very highly of him.

I'm not a fan of Satele, If the Colts cut him would it save money or cost money? I don't know if any of his contract is guaranteed. Hes to injury prone and inconsistent I'd rather bring in a young guy with potential to groom and let Shipley start.

He is about a $3.9M cap hit this season. Cutting him would save us about $1.8M, and add about $2.1M to the dead cap.

Sam Schwartzstein is projected to be selected anywhere from Round 5-7 by some scouting sites, and also as a UFA in others.  I personally think we are set at center with AQ Shipley, and the Colts should make an attempt to trade Satele and his 3 year...two years left deal.

Schwartzstein, like Jeff Saturday when he came out is rated here as the 11th best center available.  I also saw him as 15 in another. One thing that intrigues is the Stanford intelligence factor.  The kids are sharp,  While it does not always translate....it makes sense to have intelligence calling the line plays.  Shipley was the number 1 center coming out of college (Penn State) and never got a chance until Satele went down.  The kid played well and should fight for the starting job IMO.

Grigson loves his 'sleepers,' and this guy from Stanford IS considered one....if he goes undrafted I fully expect him in camp as a UFA.  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013C.php

Sam Schwartzstein is projected to be selected anywhere from Round 5-7 by some scouting sites, and also as a UFA in others.  I personally think we are set at center with AQ Shipley, and the Colts should make an attempt to trade Satele and his 3 year...two years left deal.

Schwartzstein, like Jeff Saturday when he came out is rated here as the 11th best center available.  I also saw him as 15 in another. One thing that intrigues is the Stanford intelligence factor.  The kids are sharp,  While it does not always translate....it makes sense to have intelligence calling the line plays.  Shipley was the number 1 center coming out of college (Penn State) and never got a chance until Satele went down.  The kid played well and should fight for the starting job IMO.

Grigson loves his 'sleepers,' and this guy from Stanford IS considered one....if he goes undrafted I fully expect him in camp as a UFA.  :colts:  

Honestly, I think we're set at QB, and that's it.

Yes, we units that are more stable than others (ILB & WR over OL & DB), and we have some viable people at some positions (Davis, Freeman, Bethea, Ballard/Brown, etc), but, for me, if you run across a stud at a position that's not necessarily a need position, you still go after it.

Every team goes into every season with weaknesses, and so will we.

Many state we could go deep next year. Many state it will be 2 - 3 years. Any of us could be correct in our predictions of this, but it's not going to take having All Star's at every position to accomplish it.

Look at this past season. It appeared that only the Broncos, 49ers, and Patriots were destined for the SB. Only the 49ers made it, and they lost to the Ravens. A team many of us thought our rookie laden team had a great chance of beating. The Ravens had many holes. They just got hot at the right time, and, as long as you have a good team, being hot at the right time is really all it can take.

Once Peyton got Saturday, we left it the way it is. Center-QB communication is invaluable, protection calls, communication with guards etc. (even head bobble :)), especially for a young QB.

I hope they hand the job to A.Q.Shipley and call it a day and stop messing around too much purely because they invested money in Satele. Shipley has played better on several fronts, IMO.

Honestly, I think we're set at QB, and that's it.

Yes, we units that are more stable than others (ILB & WR over OL & DB), and we have some viable people at some positions (Davis, Freeman, Bethea, Ballard/Brown, etc), but, for me, if you run across a stud at a position that's not necessarily a need position, you still go after it.

Every team goes into every season with weaknesses, and so will we.

Many state we could go deep next year. Many state it will be 2 - 3 years. Any of us could be correct in our predictions of this, but it's not going to take having All Star's at every position to accomplish it.

Look at this past season. It appeared that only the Broncos, 49ers, and Patriots were destined for the SB. Only the 49ers made it, and they lost to the Ravens. A team many of us thought our rookie laden team had a great chance of beating. The Ravens had many holes. They just got hot at the right time, and, as long as you have a good team, being hot at the right time is really all it can take.

I agree with most of the post Buccolts.

One thing that has to be noted is with this 'limited' draft the needs list has to be 'squeezed' to the maximum.  Does center make sense if there is a 'stud' there.  My opinion is NO.  If a stud CB is there?  YES!

It will be by draft position as Grigs sees it by perceived need.(BPA)  OG, OT, CB OLB and either safety (also some late round sleepers at WR)  At TE, RB and WR we could be OK without another stud.

I disagree big time on the DBs.  Davis and Betthea are the only locks....Butler is capable.  That is it.  Vaughn is awful, Gordy is fast and that is it.  Luck will not be alive without an OL upgrade.(A shame Grigson seems to like Satele so much IMO)  Ballard IS a stud and DB showed breakaway ability as well.  Carter is still here....too.  Watching his old tape when he never fumbled at Syracuse....was a beast... :thinking:

It all comes down to free agency and what we do there.  OL yes....CB hopefully....OLB hopefully.(safety:  William Moore for example)

I think the best point you make is in today's NFL it is all about getting hot at the right time.  I still would be happy going into the playoffs with a number 1 seed...playing in the friendly confines of LOS....at 13-3 or 14-2....I want to destroy the competition...not just hang out at 9-7 or 8-8.  I think the Monster is NOW...not 3 years down the road...lets go for the  :lombardi: a few times with this Monster.... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I assumed some things were obvious and as a result okay to be left unsaid but some of the comments here make it clear that was a mistake.

The kid played for Pep Hamilton, was Andrew Luck's center and biggest of all, knows the Offense and the protections inside & out (unlike both Shipley & Satele). Not sure how others orient themselves towards picking up players for this team but those are some pretty stark positives.

I will be shocked if we do not bring this kid in. Whether via draft or as a UFA I really don't care. I like Shipley but Satele needs (to be cut or traded) some camp competition. Plus, this kid can play guard as well.

I appreciate the ahem 'brilliance' often displayed by some of our members but this one would appear to be a no brainer.

I think this guy is seriously undersized for our scheme and yes I know its the same system he played in college, but in college and at Stanford he's not playing many (if any) 3-4 teams where he's lining up across from a 330+lb NT. Not to mention, players in the pro's are stronger in general. I don't see anyway how this guy is any better than what we already have here.

Undrafted Free Agent.    Really.

That doesn't mean he might not turn into something....    we all know how Jeff Saturday turned out....

But Sam Schwartzstein does not merit a draft pick in my opinion....    and, if he did,  no better than a 7.

Otherwise,  no.....

He's a nice college player...

Hey...let's draft Stanford RB Stephan Taylor too.

Schwartzstein, Fleener, Taylor and Luck....if we can't beat em' we'll sue em'!

Don't forget Whalen who is already here.  Everybody seems to forget Whalen....I think this kid will have a really good chance of making the team and being pretty productive.

I don't see C as a "Need". I seriously want to see Shipley FULL TIME. Maybe my mind was playing games with me, but it always seemed like our Offensive Line became a little better when he was in there. Maybe it's just me

It wasn't just you bro. We could actually run the rock when he was in and the interior line wasn't crashed as quickly. Put him with at least one good guard next to him and you'll truly see his skill. AC as well.

It wasn't just you bro. We could actually run the rock when he was in and the interior line wasn't crashed as quickly. Put him with at least one good guard next to him and you'll truly see his skill. AC as well.

Idk Kenny, you know me & you are the crazy ones of the Forum haha . It might have been our minds playing with us

But seriously, I would have to agree. Satele should be the back-up. Hopefully Shipley beats him out in TC this year

Hey...let's draft Stanford RB Stephan Taylor too.

Schwartzstein, Fleener, Taylor and Luck....if we can't beat em' we'll sue em'!

I think you might be kidding, but Taylor is a stud IMO.  Do I think we should draft him?  No....not THE first need....not a true need at all.

Taylor is going to be a good one.....

I assumed some things were obvious and as a result okay to be left unsaid but some of the comments here make it clear that was a mistake.

The kid played for Pep Hamilton, was Andrew Luck's center and biggest of all, knows the Offense and the protections inside & out (unlike both Shipley & Satele). Not sure how others orient themselves towards picking up players for this team but those are some pretty stark positives.

I will be shocked if we do not bring this kid in. Whether via draft or as a UFA I really don't care. I like Shipley but Satele needs (to be cut or traded) some camp competition. Plus, this kid can play guard as well.

I appreciate the ahem 'brilliance' often displayed by some of our members but this one would appear to be a no brainer.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the Colts should not bring him in....   I'm only saying don't over-rate him simply because he played for Stanford and Pep and once snapped for Luck.    That's not enough.

I'd prefer not to use a draft pick on him....   think that's a big mistake.    I'd prefer to take him as an undrafted free agent.   I'd be fine with that....

But, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high....

I think everybody knows where he played and who he played for/with. Give me a guy that can block...learning a new system isn't rocket science.

Idk Kenny, you know me & you are the crazy ones of the Forum haha . It might have been our minds playing with us

But seriously, I would have to agree. Satele should be the back-up. Hopefully Shipley beats him out in TC this year

Am I crazy? "No Kenny, you're not crazy you're a good open minded poster it's okay". Maybe I'm a little crazy haha.