Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to use Jerry Hughes

BProland85

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you recall early in the year he did start because Freeney and then Mathis got hurt. He wasn't bad but he didn't produce the way you are going to want the person who will be replacing Dwight Freeney to produce either.

4 sacks and 19 tackles in just those 6 starts is not producing? Ouch, It took Freeney 14 starts to get 5 sacks and up till week 15 he had 2

4 sacks and 19 tackles in just those 6 starts is not producing? Ouch, It took Freeney 14 starts to get 5 sacks and up till week 15 he had 2

those 4 sacks were for the whole season not just those six games. I looked it up he had two while starting. One the QB feel down (and I mean feel not went down because he was going to get sacked) the other was an honest sack because I remember Kravitz joking after the same he went up to Hughes after the game and congratulated on his first real sack and Hughes laughed and told him it felt good to get one because Mathis was giving him a hard time a out the one where the QB feel down.

The other two sacks he got one in the road Jags game and in the Titans game he got one when Locker scrambled and ran out of bounds a yard behind the line of scrimmage and Hughes was in the area.

Also notice I am not saying the Colts should Re-sign Freeney either.

It's always the same with Hughes......we all say next year will be his breakout year. But it never really happens. I say keep him one more year, play him in as many downs as possible, and see what happens. If he doesn't light it up, peace out. This next season is the last one I'm on board with the first round experiment.

if you recall early in the year he did start because Freeney and then Mathis got hurt. He wasn't bad but he didn't produce the way you are going to want the person who will be replacing Dwight Freeney to produce either.

I'm not saying he is or will be on the same level as Mathis or Freeney (pre-3-4), but I wouldn't mind him starting one season.. let's see what he does, and spend the money this off-season on OL, DL and secdondary..

those 4 sacks were for the whole season not just those six games. I looked it up he had two while starting. One the QB feel down (and I mean feel not went down because he was going to get sacked) the other was an honest sack because I remember Kravitz joking after the same he went up to Hughes after the game and congratulated on his first real sack and Hughes laughed and told him it felt good to get one because Mathis was giving him a hard time a out the one where the QB feel down.

The other two sacks he got one in the road Jags game and in the Titans game he got one when Locker scrambled and ran out of bounds a yard behind the line of scrimmage and Hughes was in the area.

Also notice I am not saying the Colts should Re-sign Freeney either.

1.He had a sack vs Minnesota-He started, Broke free of Matt Kalil to the inside chasing Ponder for a sack

2.He started vs the Jets-Had a sack 9:50 of the 4th quarter 

3.He started vs Jacksonville(game 1 and 2) had a sack in game 2 1:15 left in 2nd quarter he blew by the RT to the outside and sacked Gabbert

4.He started against Titans  at Tennessee also had a sack, 4th quarter he was briefly double teamed, broke free chasing Hasselbeck sacking him at the 11:11 mark of the 4th Quarter, they were all legit (also on Hasselbeck overreacted on that play)

they were all legit

The two starts he did not have a sack in were game 1 vs Jax and also Cleveland, Some people just go out of there way to discredit him but it only makes them look bad and devalues there own opinion

I just watched every sack on NFL Rewind

He is not starting talent, full stop. I'll be glad when he is cut, and all these weekly threads disappear.

You know, you could just come out and say it....you have it our for Hughes, somewhere along the line your paths must have crossed and he apparently left a lasting scar on your ability to judge him fairly

You know, you could just come out and say it....you have it our for Hughes, somewhere along the line your paths must have crossed and he apparently left a lasting scar on your ability to judge him fairly

Yes, indeed Gavin! Or maybe I just don't see what you see in him. I could be cruel, and reverse your logic there....and suggest why you see him as such an asset..... 

No, I'll leave it at a friendly disagreement!

I don't see why people are so quick to throw the guy under the bus?

He played well last year and much better stats than Freeney did last year. He fit better in the defense than Freeney and yet people still want to give Freeney the big contract rather than let Hughes play out.

The guy has talent and should be the starter on the defense for the season and see how well he does.

I don't see why people are so quick to throw the guy under the bus?

He played well last year and much better stats than Freeney did last year. He fit better in the defense than Freeney and yet people still want to give Freeney the big contract rather than let Hughes play out.

The guy has talent and should be the starter on the defense for the season and see how well he does.

IMO, I would rather give Hughes a shot at playing full time than signing Freeney to a vet min. contract and continue to get destroyed everytime the opponent runs to Freeney's side.

Yes, indeed Gavin! Or maybe I just don't see what you see in him. I could be cruel, and reverse your logic there....and suggest why you see him as such an asset..... 

No, I'll leave it at a friendly disagreement!

Not sure what you mean why I see him such a friendly asset, last year he produced in a role that was natural for him in spot duty he earned the chance to prove himself as a starter

I do agree, Hughes needs to work on run stopping, but for the longest time, Freeney had that same problem.

Freeney still has the same problem and IMO isn't nearly as good as Hughes at stopping the run. Hughes needs work still, but can still do better than Freeney. With that said, I would still rather sign a FA or draft a guy to take Freeney's spot. Hughes can be a decent backup IMO but if we really want to get better at the position we need to find a serious upgrade.

Freeney still has the same problem and IMO isn't nearly as good as Hughes at stopping the run. Hughes needs work still, but can still do better than Freeney. With that said, I would still rather sign a FA or draft a guy to take Freeney's spot. Hughes can be a decent backup IMO but if we really want to get better at the position we need to find a serious upgrade.

I do agree with that logic. I just think we have too many holes elsewhere that Hughes could fill the role this year and look for someone else in the first or second round next year.

Somebody pointed it out to me that many of the leagues top pass rushers are first round picks and honestly, I don't think we should spend our first round pick this year on a OLB. 

Hughes is a good back up but I would like to see him as our full time starter in the defense and get his replacement next year.

The problem with Hughes is this in my opinion......

He has ALL the physical tools to succeed BOTH as an ELITE pass rusher AND playing the run BUT his main issue is lack of discipline....For example he had 4 offside penalties on the season, a roughing the passer penalty vs Jacksonville as well......All of that is do to lack of consistent playing time in other words Hughes got to the QB but he was chomping at the bit to make a play do to lack of playing time, I expect him to settle down

I do agree with that logic. I just think we have too many holes elsewhere that Hughes could fill the role this year and look for someone else in the first or second round next year.

Somebody pointed it out to me that many of the leagues top pass rushers are first round picks and honestly, I don't think we should spend our first round pick this year on a OLB. 

Hughes is a good back up but I would like to see him as our full time starter in the defense and get his replacement next year.

Agree. Unfortunately Hughes was one of those first round picks.....

I think Hughes could be a decent starter if he gets a full season and I would be ok with that. But I can also see the merit of upgrading the position by bringing in a better new guy. It all depends on who the Colts could get and at what price.

What I don’t understand is why some here want to cut him. In my opinion he is a good contributor even if he’s not a starter. He is definitely good enough to be a rotational/backup guy. It doesn’t have to be either starter or cut. I am pretty sure most if not all NFL teams would find him good enough to be one of 53 players on their roster, and the Colts is not the team with the most (deepest) talent in the NFL.

JMHO

How in the name of all things that is logical is 12 tackles through 12 games (Hickmans numbers as a rotational linebacker) better then 41 tackles and 4 sacks through 16 games(Jerry Hughes numbers) as a rotational player? I mean seriously some opinions on here lead me to believe some people did not see a single Colts game this year and that those opinions defy logic or reason

How in the name of all things that is logical is 12 tackles through 12 games (Hickmans numbers as a rotational linebacker) better then 41 tackles and 4 sacks through 16 games(Jerry Hughes numbers) as a rotational player? I mean seriously some opinions on here lead me to believe some people did not see a single Colts game this year and that those opinions defy logic or reason

Yeah, I understand not being sold on Jerry Hughes, but saying Hickman is better is a horse of a different color.

lol how do you expect Hughes to be so great if all his nil career he's been behind freeney and mathis lack of playing time makes things seem fast for players and going by what he's done in this defense this year I think it'll slow down for him with full time participation can't judge him for being drafted to a team with two HOF defensive ends and expect to get some action...

And how many of those tackles were game changers? He had 8 v the Jets, probably in garbage time as they controlled the clock.....

If we are going by NFL base stats alone, Ponder was better than Luck. Gosh, I sound like Bill Polian.....

Most tackles are not like interceptions where the impact on the game is blatantly obvious, but who knows how the game would have unfolded if he had not made those tackles or how many of the QB hurries could have resulted in long or longer completions or even touchdowns had hughes not been threatening to sack them. But, as shown below at least some of his tackles & sacks could qualify as "game changers" in my book.

1.He had a sack vs Minnesota-He started, Broke free of Matt Kalil to the inside chasing Ponder for a sack

3.He started vs Jacksonville(game 1 and 2) had a sack in game 2 1:15 left in 2nd quarter he blew by the RT to the outside and sacked Gabbert

4.He started against Titans  at Tennessee also had a sack, 4th quarter he was briefly double teamed, broke free chasing Hasselbeck sacking him at the 11:11 mark of the 4th Quarter, they were all legit (also on Hasselbeck overreacted on that play)

they were all legit

The two starts he did not have a sack in were game 1 vs Jax and also Cleveland, Some people just go out of there way to discredit him but it only makes them look bad and devalues there own opinion

I did not go back and watch the games; but to further expand on your point if you look at the situational stats Hughes had several high impact plays during his limited playing time.

7 tackles came on 3rd Down; 2 were sacks; 1 of the sacks came on 3rd and goal ....

I think Gavin is right, those who think Hughes is not contributing either have not been watching the games or their personal dislike for him is coloring their judgement.

4.He started against Titans at Tennessee also had a sack, 4th quarter he was briefly double teamed, broke free chasing Hasselbeck sacking him at the 11:11 mark of the 4th Quarter, they were all legit (also on Hasselbeck overreacted on that play)

they were all legit

first of all they were all legit or they wouldn't count. However a couple were results of other things not him. I am not trying to discredit Hughes either. A QB falling down isn't the same as getting to a QB. With that said Hughes did have a couple of very nice sacks at key points in games and I think showed much more promise this past season than in his previous ones. It's going to take more than five career sacks to be handed Freeney's job. I am more than fine with giving him a shot to win the job but not explore other options because we have Hughes is as crazy as it would have been to re-sign Freeney to a big contract after last year.

Last year was clearly Hughes best year I don't think anyone would disput that. With that said he saw significant playing time last year and didn't lock down the job. That doesn't mean he can't be the answer. It just means he hasn't win it yet. When I said he wasn't that impressive what I mean is that I still have concern about him being the long term answer to replace Freeney. I would gladly admit that last year proved he should get a shot but he hasn't won it yet. The people calling him a flat out bust are as wrong as the people saying just give him the job. I think there is a chance be could be the guy but I don't think he's locked it down. This is his make or break year and I think we all agree on that.

One last point here I've several posters take things personally lately if people don't see the game the same way as they do and go after other posters and say I don't think you watched the game. IMO that needs to stop. It is possible for two people to watch the exact same game and see things differently and the purpose of this forum is share those views and people should be able to do that without someone questioning if they watched games or not just because they don't agree with someone else's opinion.

Sorry for the edit posting on a iPad and auto correct can be annoying.

Most tackles are not like interceptions where the impact on the game is blatantly obvious, but who knows how the game would have unfolded if he had not made those tackles or how many of the QB hurries could have resulted in long or longer completions or even touchdowns had hughes not been threatening to sack them. But, as shown below at least some of his tackles & sacks could qualify as "game changers" in my book.

I did not go back and watch the games; but to further expand on your point if you look at the situational stats Hughes had several high impact plays during his limited playing time.

7 tackles came on 3rd Down; 2 were sacks; 1 of the sacks came on 3rd and goal ....

I think Gavin is right, those who think Hughes is not contributing either have not been watching the games or their personal dislike for him is coloring their judgement.

Just because you have a different view of things does not mean others do not watch games or have a personal dislike for someone. That is a very childish appraisal. I have not said he hasn't made tackles or sacks. I'm saying has not made a significant contribution to our defense and has not done so for 3 years. I have not denied he has had it tough starting behind the 'book ends' either.

Stats, do not tell the whole story, like half this board have quoted when Luck was under attack from Griffin fans....

If he is our direct replacement for Freeney, we will continue to struggle.  

first of all they were all legit or they wouldn't count. However a couple were results of other things not him. I am not trying to discredit Hughes either. A QB falling down isn't the same as getting to QB. With at said Hughes did have a couple of very nice sacks at key points in games and I think showed much more promise this past season than in his previous ones. It's going to take more than five career sacks to be handed Freeney's job. I am more than fine with giving him a shot to win the job but not explore other options because we have Hughes is as crazy as it would have been to re-sign Freeney to a big contract after last year.

Last year was clearly Hughes best year I don't think anyone would disput that. With that said he saw significant playing time last year and didn't lock down the job. That doesn't mean he can't be the answer. It just means he hasn't win it yet. When I said he wasn't that impressive what I mean is that I still have concern about him being the long term answer to replace Freeney. I would gladly admit that last year proved he should get a shot but he hasn't won it yet. The people calling him a flat out bust are as wrong as the people saying just give him the job. I think there is a chance be could be the guy but I don't think he's locked it down. This is his maker or break year and I think we all agree on that.

One last point here I've several posters take things personally lately if people don't see the game the same way as they do and go after other posters and say I don't think you watched the game. IMO that needs to stop. It is possible for two people to watch the exact same game and see things differently and the purpose of this forum is share those views and people should be able to do that without someone questioning if they watched games or not just because they don't agree with someone else's opinion.

We were clearly typing at the same time..........I couldn't agree more.

Just because you have a different view of things does not mean others do not watch games or have a personal dislike for someone. That is a very childish appraisal. I have not said he hasn't made tackles or sacks. I'm saying has not made a significant contribution to our defense and has not done so for 3 years. I have not denied he has had it tough starting behind the 'book ends' either.

Stats, do not tell the whole story, like half this board have quoted when Luck was under attack from Griffin fans....

If he is our direct replacement for Freeney, we will continue to struggle.

First, I never said he should be Freeney’s replacement. In fact I was not a big fan of the Hughes pick when we drafted him, I am skeptical that that he can make the jump to high end/elite pass rusher, and I am in favor of acquiring an OLB preferably in free agency.

However, with all that being said I am still able to look at the situation objectively and give him more than 1 year with limited playing time in his new role to prove himself because: He is a young player who was stuck behind two pro-bowlers in a defense/position that did not suit his skillset. The fact that he was mis-drafted was not his fault, many draft analysts noted he would likely need to be moved to OLB in NFL. When he was moved to a defense & position that suited his skillset, his play improved. The stats and game film clearly show this. I don’t know what constitutes a “significant contribution” to our defense to you from a player who didn’t play full time, but I think he did decent, & would think the reasons above probably played a significant role in why his contribution was not greater.

As far as being childish is concerned …. all you need to do is read through the past posts in this thread (as well as other threads) to see that the dislike for Hughes is overblown and rises to a level of personal dislike for him which is either impairing their judgment, or making them stubbornly ignore the facts.

We were clearly typing at the same time..........I couldn't agree more.

Based on your previous posts I do not see how his post reflects your opinion in the least (except maybe the last paragraph).

First, I never said he should be Freeney’s replacement. In fact I was not a big fan of the Hughes pick when we drafted him, I am skeptical that that he can make the jump to high end/elite pass rusher, and I am in favor of acquiring an OLB preferably in free agency.

However, with all that being said I am still able to look at the situation objectively and give him more than 1 year with limited playing time in his new role to prove himself because: He is a young player who was stuck behind two pro-bowlers in a defense/position that did not suit his skillset. The fact that he was mis-drafted was not his fault, many draft analysts noted he would likely need to be moved to OLB in NFL. When he was moved to a defense & position that suited his skillset, his play improved. The stats and game film clearly show this. I don’t know what constitutes a “significant contribution” to our defense to you from a player who didn’t play full time, but I think he did decent, & would think the reasons above probably played a significant role in why his contribution was not greater.

As far as being childish is concerned …. all you need to do is read through the past posts in this thread (as well as other threads) to see that the dislike for Hughes is overblown and rises to a level of personal dislike for him which is either impairing their judgment, or making them stubbornly ignore the facts.

Based on your previous posts I do not see how his post reflects your opinion in the least (except maybe the last paragraph).

My personal opinion (with no personal dislike whatsoever) is that his lack of production and lack of discipline outweights his positive contributions. I have watched every game, and will watch them all again, more than once before camp. If I change my mind at any time throughout this period, I shall certainly let you know.

But as it stands, I'd cut him tomorrow if it made any financial sense, which it probably doesn't.

I really don't care why you see it differently, and I will not make-up reasons why you do.

I just dont think he can be an every down OLB. If used in a limited role, I think he can be effective as a pass rusher which may still not justify the high round pick we spent on him. Unless he improves his discipline, I am not sold on his run stopping abilities.

I'm not one of the Forum cap gurus but if I read his numbers right he'd cost 4m against the cap to cut....so that's not an option. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jerry-hughes/

But our DE and OLB positions have quality and depth issues....and clinging to a first round guy who has just not lived up to his billing isn't gonna help solve them.

IMO....he either surprises the crap out of us this year and makes a big jump in his impact or he should be released the day after next season ends.

Guest NDColts!!

Money wise its a lose at this count but as said in nice form Irsay is only thinking in terms of inprovement is not his decision its Grigson and Pagano's as the Colts are just now in there second year rebuild and money that is going to be spent wisely is Irasy's concern!!

I was the biggest fan of Hughes coming out. I watched a lot of tape on him before we had even drafted him because he looked like such a good prospect. High motor, played low... He looked like the next Robert Mathis... Unfortunately he never panned out, the stats he's gathered are mostly just from situations, not because he disrupted the play. I barely saw any pressure/disruption that Hughes made himself.