Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to use Jerry Hughes

BProland85

I just don't understand it. Freeney is gone now, Hughes (for now) is the Starter. You can't pass judgement on someone who hasn't started a FULL Season. Some of you just hate Hughes because he hasn't produced his Draft Spot production level failing to realize he has no say in when he is Drafted. Polian is the one to blame. I'm a TCU Fan & I knew myself Hughes was a 3rd-5th Rounder. Stop blaming Hughes for what Polian did

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand it. Freeney is gone now, Hughes (for now) is the Starter. You can't pass judgement on someone who hasn't started a FULL Season. Some of you just hate Hughes because he hasn't produced his Draft Spot production level failing to realize he has no say in when he is Drafted. Polian is the one to blame. I'm a TCU Fan & I knew myself Hughes was a 3rd-5th Rounder. Stop blaming Hughes for what Polian did

Actually NFL Draft Scout had him going in the mid 1st to early 2nd but the fact remains...7 starts

Actually NFL Draft Scout had him going in the mid 1st to early 2nd but the fact remains...7 starts

But he shouldn't have been. I knew he'd have to play OLB in the NFL. Too small for a NFL DE. But yes he has produced in his 7 starts.... but apparently that's not good enough for some people smh

But he shouldn't have been. I knew he'd have to play OLB in the NFL. Too small for a NFL DE. But yes he has produced in his 7 starts.... but apparently that's not good enough for some people smh

Will just have to see what happens, He has a couple things that need improvement and they are the same things since college consistent wrapping up and tackling for example, He does alot of running into the ball carrier going for big hits alot instead of wrapping up and tackling, not all the time but it needs improvement, which I think will come once he gets consistent playing time, wherever it is

You don't just let players start in the NFL and hope they get it; they have to show something during training camp, they have to show something during practice, they have to show something during pre-season. Jerry obviously hasn't shown the Colts training staff much in the years he's been here. So do we waste another season on Jerry and let him be a starter who for all he's shown won't do much, or do we give other guys a chance to prove themselves?

You don't just let players start in the NFL and hope they get it; they have to show something during training camp, they have to show something during practice, they have to show something during pre-season. Jerry obviously hasn't shown the Colts training staff much in the years he's been here. So do we waste another season on Jerry and let him be a starter who for all he's shown won't do much, or do we give other guys a chance to prove themselves?

Like I said, If the 49ers took that approach in '85 who knows what would have become of Rice, Same with Lawrence Taylor in '81

I bet 49er fans are glad the former 49ers GM John McVay and HC Bill Walsh in '85 did not quit on Jerry Rice after his first 7 starts, Im sure the greatest receiver of all time would agree

Like I said, If the 49ers took that approach in '85 who knows what would have become of Rice

Jerry Rice did show them something in his rookie year, Jerry Rice had a breakout 200 plus yard game in December of his rookie year.

Jerry Hughes has had what, 3 years to show his coaching staff off the field that he has got more to show to warrant more playing time on the field??? Apples to oranges comparison.

Just doing a 7 starts to 7 starts comparison is not thorough research because Jerry Rice, according to Pro Football Reference, started only 4 games his rookie year. For that rookie season, he recorded 49 catches for 927 yards, averaging 18.9 yards per catch and was named NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rice

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

It is fine you believe Jerry Hughes will produce more with more starts but let us not distort facts to support an opinion.

Jerry Rice did show them something in his rookie year, Jerry Rice had a breakout 200 plus yard game in December of his rookie year.

Jerry Hughes has had what, 3 years to show his coaching staff off the field that he has got more to show to warrant more playing time on the field??? Apples to oranges comparison.

Just doing a 7 starts to 7 starts comparison is not thorough research because Jerry Rice, according to Pro Football Reference, started only 4 games his rookie year. For that rookie season, he recorded 49 catches for 927 yards, averaging 18.9 yards per catch and was named NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Rice

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

It is fine you believe Jerry Hughes will produce more with more starts but let us not distort facts to support an opinion.

It took him 14 games before he went off, Rice had 3 touchdowns his rookie year, Regardless Freeney was in front of Hughes, he was not going to be starting in the immediate future

It took him 14 games before he went off, Rice had 3 touchdowns his rookie year, Regardless Freeney was in front of Hughes, he was not going to be starting in the immediate future

This will be the make-or-break-year for Jerry Hughes. If he does well, I will be happy for him and the Colts!!! But however, I am not going to get my hopes up till I see it.

As a first rounder who gets 5 yrs. for a contract signed in 2010, he is under contract till 2014. So, it technically wont be a contract year in 2013 but it will be a make-or-break year as most of us feel.

Like I said, If the 49ers took that approach in '85 who knows what would have become of Rice, Same with Lawrence Taylor in '81

That's completely different both those guys produced by the end of their first season. I can tell that you're going by NFL.com stats because they didn't record sacks in 1981, they started in 1982. Had they recorded sacks in 1981 Taylor would of had 9.5. He had a remarkable rookie campaign in which he won Rookie of the Year.

A good argument you could have used is James Harrison. Like Hughes he never got much playing time his first 3 seasons. He was injured his 4th but then exploded in his fifth season and has been used since then. We still have Jerry locked up for another two seasons so he still does have time to prove himself.

That's completely different both those guys produced by the end of their first season. I can tell that you're going by NFL.com stats because they didn't record sacks in 1981, they started in 1982. Had they recorded sacks in 1981 Taylor would of had 9.5. He had a remarkable rookie campaign.

A good argument you could have used is James Harrison. Like Hughes he never got much playing time his first 3 seasons. He was injured his 4th but then exploded in his fifth season and has been used since then. We still have Jerry locked up for another two seasons so he still does have time to prove himself.

I doubt he gets a 5th year if he does not produce in the 4th, at least that is how I see it. He will have the starts, the playing time with no Freeney ahead of him, and the system fit, no excuses however. He may get injured and buy himself a year, that is not out of the realm of possibility :).

That's completely different both those guys produced by the end of their first season. I can tell that you're going by NFL.com stats because they didn't record sacks in 1981, they started in 1982. Had they recorded sacks in 1981 Taylor would of had 9.5. He had a remarkable rookie campaign in which he won Rookie of the Year.

Its not that I am a big of Jerry or anything like that but I do LOVE his motor, its hard not to like thatwith that said I do recognize he does have things he needs to work on, like wrapping up consistenly when tackling

Or maybe some of us just don't think he is good enough to be a starter, due to his lack of effective production in 3 years. Because people have a different view to yours, we must HATE the guy? Dont be so petty, or so arrogant that only you can be right.

Or maybe some of us just don't think he is good enough to be a starter, due to his lack of effective production in 3 years. Because people have a different view to yours, we must HATE the guy? Dont be so petty, or so arrogant that only you can be right.

Perhaps your right....Perhaps not but 41 tackles and 4 sacks as a rotational player is pretty effective, Thats 45 plays made as a rotational player in 995 scrimmage plays which is 4.5 percent or rounded up 5 percent of total defensive plays he made a play in, Now Freeney this year had a hand in 5 sacks and 12 tackles out of a total of 995 defensive snaps for a total of 17 plays or 1.7 percent of the total defensive plays . Now last year 1062 defensive snaps were taken of which Freeney made 27.5 plays (8.5 sacks is where the .5 comes in) rounded up 28 out of 1062 come to 2.6 percent of the plays Freeney had a hand in in some way. Hughes had a hand in 16 plays in 1062 total snaps as a rotational linebacker for 1.5 percent of plays Hughes had a hand in as a rotational linebacker, Without knowing the exact number of snaps Jerry has had (far less then Freeney obviously) then its not fair nor logical to judge the type of effective production he has had

Perhaps your right....Perhaps not but 41 tackles and 4 sacks as a rotational player is pretty effective, Thats 45 plays made as a rotational player in 995 scrimmage plays which is 4.5 percent or rounded up 5 percent of total defensive plays he made a play in, Now Freeney this year had a hand in 5 sacks and 12 tackles out of a total of 995 defensive snaps for a total of 17 plays or 1.7 percent of the total defensive plays . Now last year 1062 defensive snaps were taken of which Freeney made 27.5 plays (8.5 sacks is where the .5 comes in) rounded up 28 out of 1062 come to 2.6 percent of the plays Freeney had a hand in in some way. Hughes had a hand in 16 plays in 1062 total snaps as a rotational linebacker for 1.5 percent of plays Hughes had a hand in as a rotational linebacker, Without knowing the exact number of snaps Jerry has had (far less then Freeney obviously) then its not fair nor logical to judge the type of effective production he has had

Freeney was not wanted, because he is past his sell by date, and can't play the run. I've never tried to compare Jerry with Dwight...but your point is well made.

I have no issues with people liking Jerry, I'm just fed up with the spurious reasons I'm fed on why I don't!

I can actually see him being cut.

Freeney was not wanted, because he is past his sell by date, and can't play the run. I've never tried to compare Jerry with Dwight...but your point is well made.

I have no issues with people liking Jerry, I'm just fed up with the spurious reasons I'm fed on why I don't!

I can actually see him being cut.

I can see him being cut as well, thats part of the business although I think we would just let him walk after the contract is up of coaching staff is not happy instead, I agree we have been back and forth on this for quite a while now and I suppose I am trying to sell you on Hughes of which that I apologize but that was not my actual intention, My actual intention was to get across that although Hughes up until last year was not showing up with alot of sack numbers like you or anyone would have expected out of a first round pick he hasn't (up till last year) many consistent (Thats the keyword) snaps to get into a rhythm in games, He had 6 starts and produced 4 sacks and 41 tackles, 19 of which came in those 6 starts 12 of which were solo tackle, Who knows what the future holds for Hughes but Im hoping for the best and like what I saw last year