Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should 'Edge's number be retired?

UKColt13

Honest question, he still holds a number of franchise records and was a huge part of the team for a lot of years.

Could be time to honour that by adding 32 to the retired list.

Edge was by far one of my favorite Colts players but he only played here for 7 years. Marvin and Reggie who had/have 10+ years here I think should, as well as Peyton when he retires, but I don't believe Edge's should be.

Not sure about retiring it, but get it off Cassius Vaughn right now.

My two favorite Colts players of all time are Edgerrin James and MLB Mike Curtis....and both of them wore #32.

I'd like to see it retired....but they probably won't.

Seeing it worn by a CB who gets his rear end torched on a regular basis is pretty aggravating.

Retiring numbers, to me, is something that makes sense in only extreme situations. Ring of Honor is for the greats of the team. Edge belongs there. Start putting all the great players numbers away and you come into even more of a crunch for numbers now, given present number schemes. I think the legendary guys like Johnny and Peyton deserve retired numbers, and very few others. I was fine with Marvin wearing Mackey's number, and I'm fine with anyone wearing Edge's.

I agree with Rexall that the Ring of Honor is an appropriate and more practical way of paying tribute to excellent Colts players.

And having his Colts career cut short probably makes his placement in the Ring of Honor the proper tribute.

But what he did and where he stands among all-time NFL leaders is worth noting to those who rather emphatically reject the idea. Had he compiled all of these numbers in a Colts uniform I'd think that #32 should be retired.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/yds_from_scrimmage_career.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JameEd00.htm

No.  I think you have to be one of the games all-time greats to have your number retired.  Edge was an all-time Colts great which is why he is in the Ring of Honor as he should but not all time NFL great.  I think Manning should.  That's the kind of level you have to hit IMO for that which is what makes it so special when you do it for a guy like Manning. 

They should retire 32 for Edge and for Mike Curtis and have a joint ceremony...

They have to retire 88... two of the best players in league history wore it for us. There is no dishonor in sharing the number with the great John Mackey (if you're Marvin) and I don't want to see some scrub wear 88 for us in the future.

They should retire 32 for Edge and for Mike Curtis and have a joint ceremony...

They have to retire 88... two of the best players in league history wore it for us. There is no dishonor in sharing the number with the great John Mackey (if you're Marvin) and I don't want to see some scrub wear 88 for us in the future.

I like this idea but should the Ravens do it? Do they have any retired Jerseys from the Browns?

I like this idea but should the Ravens do it? Do they have any retired Jerseys from the Browns?

I think that is a bit different.  The Ravens are technically a completely different team than the Browns.  So all the Browns records stay with Cleveland.   Baltimore/Indy Colts are the same team.   Just like the Cleveland/Los Angeles/St Louis Rams and the Chicago/St Louis/Arizona Cardinals.  I think far too much is made out of the Colts being in Indy.  They are the same team.  It is not like they are the only team to ever move and keep the name, colors, and records.

I think that is a bit different.  The Ravens are technically a completely different team than the Browns.  So all the Browns records stay with Cleveland.   Baltimore/Indy Colts are the same team.   Just like the Cleveland/Los Angeles/St Louis Rams and the Chicago/St Louis/Arizona Cardinals.  I think far too much is made out of the Colts being in Indy.  They are the same team.  It is not like they are the only team to ever move and keep the name, colors, and records.

I know the history but this is honoring players who's fans are in another city. If theyd claim those players Id really have no issue with it. Baltimore can have their 88 and 32, we have ours.

We should have 1 retired number. 18. Unretire 19, too. Unitas didn't want anything to do with us so screw him. Let the ravens do it.

19 is retired along with 22, Buddy Young, 24 Lenny Moore, 70 Art Donovan, 77 Jim Parker, 82 Raymond Berry, and 89 Geno Marchetti

I am sure 18 will be once Manning is done playing.  All the retired numbers happened while the Colts were still in Baltimore but since the history moved with the team the Colts honor the fact those numbers are retired. 

I would have no problem if 88 was added for both Marvin and John Mackey but I don't think that is likely. 

Peyton, Marvin, Saturday, Wayne, and maybe even Glenn. I would think that if anything, those numbers should be retired.

Although Peyton's number might be the only one to be retired.

Edge's number won't be retired, he was a huge part of the success but was injured for years and once he first got injured, he went downhill from that point. Edge didn't even win a super bowl with us, even if Irsay sent him a super bowl ring for his contributions to the team.