Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Am I The Only One That Thinks The Colts Will Surprise Everyone?

cmgww

Seriously....all the doom and gloom on here is getting me down.

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts will surprise all the doubters, you know the ones that think "the window is closing"?

First, Manning plays week 1. Collins is insurance, but there's no way 18 isn't stepping on the field in Houston.

Barring another (heaven forbid) rash of injuries like last season...I see great things in store for the Colts.

The additions on defense will pay off big IMO. The D-line is so deep it's scary. Sims along with the fellows at LB will be solid...the secondary does have me worried though. I would like to see some additions there (Hayden back?)just for depth

The offense should be fine, provided Manning can come back and not be TOO rusty. The running game has looked better. Carter is a great get, and I see him getting a lot of touches near the goal line. Collie and Clark being back will be huge, and Tamme got a lot of time last year, further expanding the arsenal Manning has at his disposal.

I think this could be a big year for the Colts. The schedule will be tough, but if we can stay relatively healthy I see 12 wins and a run at the SB...

It depends on where we are before the bye week. If we are 7-3 or 8-2 after week 10 when we have the bye week, that would position ourselves for a good playoff seeding and division title. Anything more than 3 losses at that point might require perfection with both the Patriots and Ravens road games coming up in the next 6 games, way more easier said than done.

Guest BlueShoe

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts will surprise all the doubters, you know the ones that think "the window is closing"?

First, Manning plays week 1. Collins is insurance, but there's no way 18 isn't stepping on the field in Houston.

Barring another (heaven forbid) rash of injuries like last season...I see great things in store for the Colts.

The additions on defense will pay off big IMO. The D-line is so deep it's scary. Sims along with the fellows at LB will be solid...the secondary does have me worried though. I would like to see some additions there (Hayden back?)just for depth

The offense should be fine, provided Manning can come back and not be TOO rusty. The running game has looked better. Carter is a great get, and I see him getting a lot of touches near the goal line. Collie and Clark being back will be huge, and Tamme got a lot of time last year, further expanding the arsenal Manning has at his disposal.

I think this could be a big year for the Colts. The schedule will be tough, but if we can stay relatively healthy I see 12 wins and a run at the SB...

I am not superstitious but I have made a commitment to keeping my predictions to myself because I think this could be a really special year for us. We have a good team. The pieces outside of Peyton are the best that I have seen in a while. But we have a tough schedule too by playing the NFC South. Tampa, Atlanta, and New Orleans will be tough games. Plus we have the Patriots again this year, Houston twice will be tough, the Jags usually find a way to split with us, Tennessee plays us tough, I think the Browns are very improved, the Steelers give us fits, and we’re at the Ravens.

We are not going to just walk into the playoffs because we are going to have to earn every win. I think we might start off a little slow on offense, but our defense and our running game looked vastly improved.

I think people are looking at Delone Carter all wrong. I don't think it makes sense to hold him for short yardage. I'd use him all day long and make the anti-pass, 5 DB defenses of the opposition get tired of trying to bring down a 225 pound running back with speed and agility. For passing, I'd stick to lightning quick chunks out of the slot with Collie, Clark, Tamme, Gonzo, etc.

Late in the game, as the other team tires out, a fresh Joseph Addai can come in and slash and shuffle his way through a bunch of winded defenders. Or he can provide a safety valve as Manning looks to bury the hatchet with some big pass plays.

If we get into short yardage situations and bring in Carter, everyone in the stadium will know what's coming, and the D will dial up a 148 man front. I don't care if he's 325 pounds: most of the time, he's not getting there against a run-expectant defense.

I just think that a lot of us will be disappointed if 3rd and goal is where we primarily see his number called. He's far too versatile for that, and our offense (especially Addai) would benefit greatly by exploiting his talents.

/rant

@OP: You are not the only one who thinks so. In case you haven't noticed, since the forums moved, a lot of the veteran posters disappeared. That left us with a whole lot of new people and trolls. I don't know the median age, but I'd guess it's far younger than it once was. They are gullible. Combined with the rhetoric of the talking heads on various sports networks and suddenly the Colts are about to implode.

In my opinion, this is once of the most talented, and complete rosters (at least on paper, and in theory) that we've fielded in the Manning era.

No, I'm surprised of all the talk of a down year too. With all the injuries last year the Colts still finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

With guys back like Clark, Addai and Collie and the addition of T. Harris, Devis and Simms should make for a pretty exciting season.

I agree with you. I love this team. 5 reasons below.

1. Colts are Superbowl contender with Manning and can win with a backup until he returns

2. #1 thing I wish for after Manning’s return – defensive philosophy on 3rd down becomes press coverage. Can you imagine what this change would do in getting Colts D off the field more consistently? With the pass rush Colts have and have added in Tommie Harris, opponents must be praying they don’t move CBs closer to LOS.

3. DT group may be the best the Colts have had in a long time – teams will not run over Colts

4. OL will play very well this year. RT situation gets resolved and this is best group we’ve seen in sometime – either Link or Ijalana has to get it done.

5. Running game will dramatically improve because of #4, health of Addai and, if used, Delone Carter. Colts use Rookies too carefully in my view. Freeney didn’t start rookie season until mid-season against Philly and the D was struggling – he had seven tackles, three forced fumbles, one sack and four quarterback pressures. Made me crazy the way the coaches kept him on the sideline.

If Colts lose to Texans, the 'experts' will be digging their graves. Colts beat Texans and they are instant Superbowl contenders again.

No, you're definitely not. If we stay healthy (knock on wood) then I believe we have the best team in the Manning-Era since...well, ever! The O-Line will be better if Castanzo and Ijalana pan out which I think they will, and I think Diem will be better at RG this year than he was last year at RT. And the D-Line is undoubtedly better. Finally, Meeney can be free with the presence of Nevis, Harris, Johnson, etc. in the middle will be torture for QB's, and the LBers will be solid this year too. Our biggest weakness is our secondary but hopefully the D-Line can get consistent pressure so the QB doesn't get much time to throw.

The Super Bowl is Indy this year too, I believe the stars are aligning for us this year. Hopefully we can capitalize. :coltshelmet::lombardi:

Many people think the Colts will do well this season, but only people who follow the Colts closely. The people who only generally know of the Colts say we will do poorly because of our 10-6 result last season (ignoring the many injuries), say we have a poor O-line and poor DTs (ignoring Castonzo, Ijalana, Harris, etc.), say Manning is hurt and that's why we have brought in Collins (ignoring the many updates we have gotten that Peyton is throwing and he seems like he will be good to go). People who follow the team closely (even if they aren't fans) and know what we had to endure last season and what we have done up until now are expecting another division crown for the Colts and another double digit win season.

I have been seeing stuff everywhere and its ridiculous, I think we have been doubted every single year. No matter what our situation is we were doubted. When we made the run to the superbowl and beat the bears, there were just as many doubters...I can only hope for another playoff run, that goes to the superbowl and the colts come out again on top.

The Colts organization doesn't play the media's game and leaves little behind for it to use (e.g. gossip, player drama/publicized Hollywood lifestyles, revealing strategies, front office moves), so all that's left in that under the radar distanced relationship is to throw more chits into the great "team demise" raffle barrel. Also, for years it's been too predictable and there are no headlines in saying the team will be good. The better story going into Manning's 14th season would be to "guess correctly" on the team's decline, which is a misguided notion to begin with.

Another element creating the climate is there are quite a few young (age) and/or relatively new (loyal years) fans here. I see a lot of our own fans buying into and/or worrying about what media outlets say, and along the way on this board they sometimes help propogate the mis-information and mis-conceptions. It's part of what the community is, I realize. Just like anywhere or anything else. I'm not knockin' it.....simply saying a lot of what goes on should be tempered when reading. Think for yourself (meaning anyone).

Not all of us out here agreee with every move the team makes because there have been some mistakes over the years, but it's better to try and understand the Colts' ways and have at least some faith in how they go about business because the decision making is sound for the most part. To understand where the team has come from is to understand where it is now and where it's going. The winning ways under Jim Irsay's commitment haven't been around for that long and are still evolving.

Being positive, or negative about a team before they really show what they are capable of are merely defense mechanisms. There is no way to predict how health will affect the team, but with that out of the equation there is a lot of talent on the team that has returned, and a lot of holes that have been filled. Last years team made it to the playoffs on crutches, with 15 or big names on IR. If health doesn't affect us like that, this team has the talent to go far. I guess that is one of the reasons we all watch football, though. There are no certainties, and any given team can win on any given Sunday.

We COULD have a great year. It's a crap shoot being that we are overall smaller than a lot of teams and seem to be more fragile. We don't have depth at certain positions so it could kill us if injuries pile up. I'm hoping for the best but in no way expecting it.

Yeah your definitely not. The Colts = healthy are super bowl competitors as usual. Don't know why people would think the Colts WON'T win the AFC South. Even if Collins plays the Colts can still beat the Texans, let alone with Manning playing. Hopefully they will get a good dose of the new guys Carter, Nevis & Harris..

Speak of the devil some * on the NFL chan thinks the Colts will miss the playoffs. Right as I'm typing this post, I believe it was Tory Holt. He did kind of refrain though lol!!!!

Good job Tory..

PS: Issac Bruce was better :trout: on that Tory

Its an interesting question. But in all honesty...would anyone actually 'be surprised' if the Colts did well this year? I think thats a resounding no. People have said the window is closing for years now...and there had always been real reasons to think that might be a possibility too. We like to sit here and say all the experts are stupid for saying that...but there have been a lot of questions for the Colts entering each season...and they are questions that typically would cripple most teams. The only reassurance in the past has been Peyton Manning...and we all know hes the reason that those questions didnt prevent the team from making a postseason run. This year...HE is the question mark, so its a legitimate concern. We all assume he'll be fine, so its easy to criticize those who are pointing to that as a reason for the 'demise of the Colts'

But lets be real here. Not a single person, experts included, would be surprised if the Colts did well ths year.

It depends on where we are before the bye week. If we are 7-3 or 8-2 after week 10 when we have the bye week, that would position ourselves for a good playoff seeding and division title. Anything more than 3 losses at that point might require perfection with both the Patriots and Ravens road games coming up in the next 6 games, way more easier said than done.

Totally agree, injuries will dictate our success

Guest BlueShoe

I think the storm cloud was lifted when 18 was 'activated'. Not to short-change the other 52 guys on the roster, but as long as Peyton is on the field this team is a legit contender.

And I think it is being way overlooked that we actually have a team to go with him this year.

And I think it is being way overlooked that we actually have a team to go with him this year.

Its not being overlooked...but every year its exactly the same thing. The experts say the Colts window is closing, and Colts fans think they have the best Colts team ever heading into the season. Its going to be somewhere in the middle.

Guest BlueShoe

Its not being overlooked...but every year its exactly the same thing. The experts say the Colts window is closing, and Colts fans think they have the best Colts team ever heading into the season. Its going to be somewhere in the middle.

I am sure you can say that about every NFL team to some degree with a certain player/s. That being said, this is the first year I have said that in a long, long time (2005). And because of all the attention being on Peyton's injury, the rest of the team is being overlooked and this is a more complete team than I can remember in a very long time.

I am sure you can say that about every NFL team to some degree with a certain player/s. That being said, this is the first year I have said that in a long, long time (2005). And because of all the attention being on Peyton's injury, the rest of the team is being overlooked and this is a more complete team than I can remember in a very long time.

Agreed. At this point in the season...every fan is optimistic of their teams chances. I just have to chuckle because I literally feel like im stuck in Groundhog Day when I hear 'those stupid experts say the Colts window is closing' and 'this Colts team may be the best we've seen' every year around the end of August. And because of Peytons injury, you're right...a lot of people havent been paying attention to the rest of the team. But I do think they have the potential to be very very good and it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see them make a legitimate run.

They need to stay healthy specially at the recievers spots. It was painful watching them last year without Dallas Clark. Now that Bob Sanders is gone the defense will have to bear down but the Colts are definately headed for the playoffs unless they lose out the division to the Texans and don't slide in as a wildcard. The Texans have a very easy schedule and I don't know what ours looks like.

They need to stay healthy specially at the recievers spots. It was painful watching them last year without Dallas Clark. Now that Bob Sanders is gone the defense will have to bear down but the Colts are definately headed for the playoffs unless they lose out the division to the Texans and don't slide in as a wildcard. The Texans have a very easy schedule and I don't know what ours looks like.

Bob Sanders??? He basically hasn't been on the roster in yrs..

Its an interesting question. But in all honesty...would anyone actually 'be surprised' if the Colts did well this year? I think thats a resounding no. People have said the window is closing for years now...and there had always been real reasons to think that might be a possibility too. We like to sit here and say all the experts are stupid for saying that...but there have been a lot of questions for the Colts entering each season...and they are questions that typically would cripple most teams. The only reassurance in the past has been Peyton Manning...and we all know hes the reason that those questions didnt prevent the team from making a postseason run. This year...HE is the question mark, so its a legitimate concern. We all assume he'll be fine, so its easy to criticize those who are pointing to that as a reason for the 'demise of the Colts'

But lets be real here. Not a single person, experts included, would be surprised if the Colts did well ths year.

you are right, no one would be surprised at all if we start the season 14-0. it would annoy the pundits though :evil:

I would also like to add the team that scores more points than their opponents usually wins the game! :mindblow: rotfl Sorry couldn't resist.

I think people are looking at Delone Carter all wrong. I don't think it makes sense to hold him for short yardage. I'd use him all day long and make the anti-pass, 5 DB defenses of the opposition get tired of trying to bring down a 225 pound running back with speed and agility. For passing, I'd stick to lightning quick chunks out of the slot with Collie, Clark, Tamme, Gonzo, etc.

Late in the game, as the other team tires out, a fresh Joseph Addai can come in and slash and shuffle his way through a bunch of winded defenders. Or he can provide a safety valve as Manning looks to bury the hatchet with some big pass plays.

If we get into short yardage situations and bring in Carter, everyone in the stadium will know what's coming, and the D will dial up a 148 man front. I don't care if he's 325 pounds: most of the time, he's not getting there against a run-expectant defense.

I just think that a lot of us will be disappointed if 3rd and goal is where we primarily see his number called. He's far too versatile for that, and our offense (especially Addai) would benefit greatly by exploiting his talents.

/rant

Good rant Doogan. That would be an intriguing utilization of Carter. I don't think the Colts coaching staff will think that out of the box though. They seem married to Addai being used as the primary starting back. Now if Addai was to get hurt thereby forcing their hand, then they might stumble upon the idea.

You're not the only one. I think this is the most complete group of guys I have ever seen fielded. If the Colts are healthy, the Colts will have a legitimate chance at the :lombardi: :drink:

I have been an active reader of the forum for a long time but this is my first time ever putting in my opinion, so take it easy on me.....I agree this is the deepest we have ever been i just feel like we should have brought in a proven corner safety combo kinda guy ala marlin jackson, with that being said i know they envision chris rucker turning into that type of player but turning into and being are two totally different things, but i guess we will all see how it turns out come january the polians sure seem to get the job done most of the time no matter what anyone else says....thanks looking forward to seeing you responses

Anyone who thinks that Manning won't play week 1 is an *. Plain and simple. We are just covering our rears, signing Kerry for insurance (possibly groom Painter, perhaps??). Personally, I see us winning the south and playing in the division round of the playoffs. Whether or not we win is entirely dependent on our opponent, but I think we'll win the south with a 13-3 record.

I've never been surprised by the colts in the past.

However, I think there's a lot of question marks on the team this season. Now those question marks could turn into exclamation marks.. which is why I think this year's colts is near impossible to predict...other than anywhere from 5-11 to 11-5.

Guest BlueShoe

I've never been surprised by the colts in the past.

However, I think there's a lot of question marks on the team this season. Now those question marks could turn into exclamation marks.. which is why I think this year's colts is near impossible to predict...other than anywhere from 5-11 to 11-5.

Of course you're thinking the Pats will go 16-0 right? lol

Every teams has a question mark around something this time of the year. Like let's just look at how the Pats got beaten like drum in Detroit a few days ago. That should raise some red flags. lol

I have been an active reader of the forum for a long time but this is my first time ever putting in my opinion, so take it easy on me.....I agree this is the deepest we have ever been i just feel like we should have brought in a proven corner safety combo kinda guy ala marlin jackson, with that being said i know they envision chris rucker turning into that type of player but turning into and being are two totally different things, but i guess we will all see how it turns out come january the polians sure seem to get the job done most of the time no matter what anyone else says....thanks looking forward to seeing you responses

Oh I agree with you. Sure I would have liked for us to sign another corner to be our #2 guy and a backup for the safety position, but the money just wasn't there. This especially couldn't happen with the signing of Collins taking up so much of our remaining cap room. The fact of the matter is that every single team has a weakness in some way shape or form. There is never going to be a team that has 53 Pro Bowlers on its roster. We won the :lombardi: with rookie corners, but we were able to stop the run in the playoffs. I'm very optimistic that our revamped defensive front will stop the run for the most part and apply adequate pressure on the opposing QB. This will make the secondary's job a heck of a lot easier. I also feel that the young guns that we have in the secondary have a ton of potential. If they are given a decent amount of playing time this regular season, they should be able to start to come into their own which excites me to no end.

BTW welcome to the forums man! I'm always glad to see new faces and inputs around here.