Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Salas WR

PMan Escape Plan

Greg Salas was just released by New England after the Patriots signed Kellen Winslow Jr and resigned Dion Branch.

http://musketfire.com/2012/09/19/new-england-patriots-release-greg-salas/

I find this somewhat surprising given that New England gave up a draft pick in exchange for Salas, especially since Josh Mcdaniels was the one who drafted him in the 5th rnd (former HC of Rams, current OC for Patriots).

At 6'1'' 210 lbs. 4.5 40-time, Salas can be a large target for Luck who runs crisp routes. He is also an imposing player with the ball in his hands, with YAC being a forte of his.

I wanted the Colts to draft him last year (285 rec, 4,345 yds, 26 TD in NCAA) so I'm hoping we take a flyer on him this time around.

I could see Salas becoming a key piece to our offensive attack. Any one else agree with me?

And to repost what was said by Balzer...

We.............do..............not................need...............another................WR!!!

i dont get it how to we not need another wr? we got reggie wayne donnie avery a couple of un proven rookies and austin collie is prob gonna be injured the whole season if you compare the colts wr cores to every nfl team we prob got one of the poorest wr cores in the nfl were using are te's to block almost every play until hilton or another rookie steps up in the regular season we should always look to improve our wr's

i dont get it how to we not need another wr? we got reggie wayne donnie avery a couple of un proven rookies and austin collie is prob gonna be injured the whole season if you compare the colts wr cores to every nfl team we prob got one of the poorest wr cores in the nfl were using are te's to block almost every play until hilton or another rookie steps up in the regular season we should always look to improve our wr's

And how are they going to get any better if they don't play? Hilton has more than proved he's capable of playing. Adams is getting quite a bit of reps right now and Brazill is caught up in the numbers game. They are carrying 6 WR's right now. They've been playing just fine without Collie.

What exactly does Salas bring that Hilton, Adams, or Brazill don't? Salas played in 6 games last yr. and then he managed to get himself traded for a late draft pick 3 yrs. from now and then he was released from the team that just traded for him. I think I'll stick with the guys we have over him. Even if Collie don't play another game this yr.(or ever) then we are still set.

Yes we may have unproven rookies at the WR position but what would Salas add? What has he proven in the NFL?

he's back on the Patriots PS per rotoworld

Greg Salas - WR - Patriots

Patriots signed WR Greg Salas to the practice squad.

Salas pass through waivers unclaimed after surprisingly being cut loose on Tuesday. He'll provide some youthful insurance for the Patriots' veteran receiver corps, but only one year removed from making 27 catches in six games as a fourth-round rookie, the Pats could have a hard time keeping him on the practice squad.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Sep 19 - 7:17 PM

he's back on the Patriots PS per rotoworld

Greg Salas - WR - Patriots

Patriots signed WR Greg Salas to the practice squad.

Salas pass through waivers unclaimed after surprisingly being cut loose on Tuesday. He'll provide some youthful insurance for the Patriots' veteran receiver corps, but only one year removed from making 27 catches in six games as a fourth-round rookie, the Pats could have a hard time keeping him on the practice squad.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Sep 19 - 7:17 PM

Anyone can sign him to their active roster, but you have to keep him there for at least three weeks. Given our depth at receiver, I doubt he's in the cards for us.

Greg Salas was just released by New England after the Patriots signed Kellen Winslow Jr and resigned Dion Branch.

http://musketfire.co...ase-greg-salas/

I find this somewhat surprising given that New England gave up a draft pick in exchange for Salas, especially since Josh Mcdaniels was the one who drafted him in the 5th rnd (former HC of Rams, current OC for Patriots).

At 6'1'' 210 lbs. 4.5 40-time, Salas can be a large target for Luck who runs crisp routes. He is also an imposing player with the ball in his hands, with YAC being a forte of his.

I wanted the Colts to draft him last year (285 rec, 4,345 yds, 26 TD in NCAA) so I'm hoping we take a flyer on him this time around.

I could see Salas becoming a key piece to our offensive attack. Any one else agree with me?

We are stacked at receiver, Wayne, Collie, Avery, Adams, Brazil, Hilton and if you count TE's Fleener and Allen. i would rather we use what we have

1) I think it Smonroe who said it about another post last week - somewhere there is a 5th grade teacher weeping. Feel free to mix in some punctuation and the word you are desperately looking for is corps, note core or even worse - cores.

2) WR is not an issue for this team. There are plenty of other areas that need an upgrade before WR. But even with that how the heck is Greg Salas an upgrade over anyone on the roster?

Don't we already have a receiver just like this (but taller/faster) named Kris Adams?

Completely different receiver. Greg Salas is a good technical receiver: good hands, good routes, but not very fast. He helped carry an offense in Hawaii. And, unlike Wes Welker, he has good size (6'1", 210 pounds). But he's a receiver in the mold of Welker, certainly.

Kris Adams is a deep threat receiver, much bigger than Salas, and faster too. Not as productive in college, but has a lot more big play potential. I don't know if you remember JJ Stokes, a receiver who played for the Niners for a few years, but that's who Adams reminds me of. A very, very poor man's Randy Moss.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but there are virtually no similarities between Salas and Adams.

I guess what I'm saying is that we already have the trifecta.

We already have a few good route runners (Wayne, Collie), we have ones with speed (insert Smurf here), and size (Fleener, Allen, Adams)

Plus, all have good hands (I believe Fleener does, but needs to work on)

We need to confiscate some old Lester Hayes stick-um for Fleener.....:) He will get better. I like Adams too.

We def don't need anymore WR.....If we get anymore WR's it will be a big one via the draft for Reggies slot....All we need are OLinemen *thinks* yeah thats about it....

Reggie's replacement is already on the roster. It's just a matter of who steps up and emerges (My money is on Adams or HIlton.) I doubt we invest too heavily in receiver in next year's draft

Reggie's replacement is already on the roster. It's just a matter of who steps up and emerges (My money is on Adams or HIlton.) I doubt we invest too heavily in receiver in next year's draft

Expecting Kris Adams to become a #1 receiver is pretty high optimism. And I don't think Hilton is the type of player to be a #1 either. Hilton is a player in the mold of Donnie Avery, actually.

I don't think we need to take a receiver high in the draft next year, either. I'd love to have a big, freakishly athletic and physical receiver, but Reggie is still under contract, and we have good receivers behind him and at tight end. But if we had a shot at Robert Woods or Justin Hunter, I'd love to have one of them.

Not talking about next years draft...I'm saying the next time a reciever is drafted it will be Reggies replacement

Expecting Kris Adams to become a #1 receiver is pretty high optimism. And I don't think Hilton is the type of player to be a #1 either. Hilton is a player in the mold of Donnie Avery, actually.

I don't think we need to take a receiver high in the draft next year, either. I'd love to have a big, freakishly athletic and physical receiver, but Reggie is still under contract, and we have good receivers behind him and at tight end. But if we had a shot at Robert Woods or Justin Hunter, I'd love to have one of them.

Saying neither one of them can become our # 1 receiver at some point in the future is as equally pessimistic. Reggie didn't look like a shoe in to be Marvin's replacement starting out either. Keep that in mind.

Saying neither one of them can become our # 1 receiver at some point in the future is as equally pessimistic. Reggie didn't look like a shoe in to be Marvin's replacement starting out either. Keep that in mind.

I didn't say neither of them can. I doubt either of them will. It's also worth noting that Reggie was a first round pick, not a UDFA castoff, nor an undersized 4th rounder from a small school. I don't think either of them have #1 characteristics or pedigree. Reggie did.

I didn't say neither of them can. I doubt either of them will. It's also worth noting that Reggie was a first round pick, not a UDFA castoff, nor an undersized 4th rounder from a small school. I don't think either of them have #1 characteristics or pedigree. Reggie did.

Draft position means absolutely nothing in this discussion. Do I really have to spout off the countless number of elite players in the league right now who were either drafted low or went undrafted? If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine... but don't speak as if your opinion is absolute. They're both rookies -- I don't much see the logic in writing them off as 2nd tier players this soon in their careers. I feel like they both have potential to be good/great receivers if they further develop their games. You don't. Let's just leave it at that, as there isn't much point in arguing over something that can't be proven right or wrong.

Draft position means absolutely nothing in this discussion. Do I really have to spout off the countless number of elite players in the league right now who were either drafted low or went undrafted? If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine... but don't speak as if your opinion is absolute. They're both rookies -- I don't much see the logic in writing them off as 2nd tier players this soon in their careers. I feel like they both have potential to be good/great receivers if they further develop their games. You don't. Let's just leave it at that, as there isn't much point in arguing over something that can't be proven right or wrong.

???

It can't just be a discussion? Who's arguing? Who is speaking as if their opinion is absolute?

All I said is that I don't think either of them have the potential to be our future #1 receiver. I could very easily be wrong; it would be awesome if either of those guys turned into a star player. I personally really, really like TY Hilton, and did even before the draft. I'm a fan of his. He can be awesome. Kris Adams has great size and athleticism, and if he can develop the attributes of a big time receiver (like good route running and reliable hands, two attributes that I don't think he has right now), we'd have one heck of a player. I'm not rooting against either of them. I'm just saying I don't think either of them is #1 material.

And I'm also saying I don't think either of them has the pedigree at this point in their career that Reggie had as a rookie. Draft position does matter; Reggie had proven talent and was a consensus #1 pick. Neither Adams nor Hilton can say that. It doesn't mean I think they they're bums. I'm NOT writing either of them off.

You're putting me in a box. I'm just saying I don't think either of them is #1 material, not that I don't think they can be good players. Wes Welker has led the Pats in catches several years now, but he's not a #1 receiver, not like what we're talking about. That's all I'm saying.