Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the solution to the o-line

danlhart87

An interesting preseason preface analogy there krunk. Preseason preparation and performance does matter and I agree we hung tough during the Steelers and Redskins games, not necessarily score wise, but confidence wise anyway. I never read the Preface myself. I look at the copyright date, the table of contents, footnotes, and analysts I respect. Tackling, speed to the ball, and a desire to exert your will can usually be detected best once the season starts for real and the Air Force convey flies over an NFL stadium in my book.

I respect your take on things my brother no problem!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mistakes CANT be made at 2 spots more then any others (Quarterback and O Line) the QB can make the O Line look somewhat average but only the offensive line can make your running back look good (unless your name is Barry Sanders). I believe Mcglynn and Justice are here do to limited cap and that they are familiar to Grigson not because they actually have talent and IF Grigsons idea of a talented O Line is Mcglynn and Justice, god help us all

Barry Sanders was un-human

IMO, the solution to the o-line we have is tied to a CSNY song,,,,,"love the one your with"

Many things look better out there when staring across the rail of a fence. The fence can be lack of familiarity, salary cap, injury concerns, agent, contract holder inflexibility, and so on. but that does not make any of those players better, regardless of the enthusiasm of the dedicated fan, nor the statistics of quoted failures by previous G.M.'s.

So for me, the solution is simple....to not diss the one we have.....the one this front office gave their all to obtain. A better question would be...what team who had our salary cap situation or worse, made their o-line better than ours while fixing and changing so many things? We made more changes to our team than any team in the NFL. I would imagine that there would be at least some area to complain about. But considering, I think they did pretty good.

And Pollack was supposed to be the sure thing at center when Saturday's time was up. Just saying..

Pollack was the 59th pick in the draft and never got the opportunity to play center. Warmack could be a top ten pick ,especially if he plays the way he did on Saturday, and will be playing his position.

Pollack was the 59th pick in the draft and never got the opportunity to play center. Warmack could be a top ten pick ,especially if he plays the way he did on Saturday, and will be playing his position.

The guy was the top rated center coming out of college and was a ”sure” thing. The guy got beat out by Jamie Richard, so yes he had his chance when Saturday was injured.

Also, its been almost 11 years since a guard was drafted in the top-10.

The guy was the top rated center coming out of college and was a ”sure” thing. The guy got beat out by Jamie Richard, so yes he had his chance when Saturday was injured.

Not really he was starting at guard when Saturday got hurt and wasn't looked at as a center because they wanted to focus on him learning the guard spot and not trying to learn both positions. So he didn't get beat out by Richard they had him playing another poistion and when Saturday went down they had Richard who had been learning the Center poistion fill in rather than having Pollack move over to center and having to learn the poistion and then having to have someone fill in at guard and having to learn that poistion making twice as many holes on the line. Also no player taken in the second round is a "sure" thing. Frankly any player generally taken outside of the top 10 isn't really thought to be a "sure" thing.

Being the top rated player at a position doesn't make you a sure thing, being one of the best prospects in the past 5-15 years does (depending on postion). Warmack is the best prospect in ten years. That makes him very close to a sure thing.

Note: I did 5-15 years, because a "sure thing" WR or RB comes out about every 5 years and a "sure thing" QB comes out every 15 years.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/mike-pollak/535275?q=mike-pollak according to those stats (if they are accurate) he has been doing something right since he hasn't given up a sack

Honestly there is no such thing as a sure thing in a draft a player can be a Ryan Leaf or a Peyton Manning or somewhere in between but I will still take that young early 20's rookie who was highly spoken of and was thought to have alot of skill and be the best at his position who may or may not work out great vs any name to this point slated to be a Free Agent at Guard who outside of 2-3 them have not worked out

Being the top rated player at a position doesn't make you a sure thing, being one of the best prospects in the past 5-15 years does (depending on postion). Warmack is the best prospect in ten years. That makes him very close to a sure thing.

Note: I did 5-15 years, because a "sure thing" WR or RB comes out about every 5 years and a "sure thing" QB comes out every 15 years.

One of the problems, if there is one, with drafting a can't miss guard, is signing them to a long term deal if they do in fact reach their potential. It is really hard to retain Carl Nicks (not that he was drafted so high) when the market goes nuts for the best guard in the league. I'd say never draft a player that high who you aren't willing to over pay on their second contract...that is a big reason why guards aren't drafted in the top 10 very often. There are only so many spots on the roster that you can allow persistent cap pressure from. For some, guard may be one of them. I want to pay my guards well, but I don't want one of the top 3 paid guards in the league on my roster. The performance difference between the top paid and tenth paid is not as great as the money gap. Gotta have that money to pay receivers, LT, pass rush, CB and a Ngata-type if you can get him.

Boy, you'd think that the Colts just completed the regular season, and there's actually a sample size to judge the performance of the 2012-2013 Indianapolis Colts offensive line.

You wannabe analysts do realize that you're basing all your brilliant commentary on a handful of quarters that these guys have played during EXHIBITION games, right? lol

We will jsut have to watch how things play out, I base My expectations about Mcglynn and Justice based on what I have seen of them in Philly and Cincy,

We need an over/under on how many more times you'll criticize McGlynn/Justice over the next 17 weeks.

I'll set the over/under at 500.

I'll start, anybody else is welcome to venture a guess too. Im definitely taking the over. I'd be very glad to be wrong.

depends how many time he gets knocked back on his butt like he is some sort of crash dumby and is there just to take beating after beating, I truly hope your as ok with our right side of the O Line later in the season as you are right now

All in good fun Gavin. I can't say I'm happy with the right side of the line, I would definitely love to have a dominant RG and RT, but right now we have who we have and I'm at least willing to see them play a few regular season games together before I start making too many judgments on them. Like I've said before, I think McGlynn deserves a fair shot here and as of right now he hasn't got that. Don't matter what he done with other teams IMO, it only matters what he does here when the real games start. He very well may stink it up and if he does I'll be calling for a replacement too, but probably not as much as you. :thmup:

Most of you who have fallen in love with Chance Warmack hopefully realize that you had barely even heard of the guy until about 10 days ago when both Kiper and McShaw proclaimed him a potential top-10 player.

I know some of you knew who he was... but he was projected as more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Now it's all different.

My point is, at the moment, he's flavor of the month. Things change. At this point a year ago Jonathon Martin was projected by some to be a top-10 pick. No less than top-15. He went 42nd. Not saying that will happen with Warmack, odds are it won't.

Only that things change in the draft. These guys go under the most severe microscopes. And some other players may zoom up the draft board, while others slide down.

All I'm saying is it's too early to fall in love with one player and say we have to have him. That's what makes bad teams reach for players. They think one player will make all the difference for them. It doesn't turn out that way very often.

Just sayin....

Most of you who have fallen in love with Chance Warmack hopefully realize that you had barely even heard of the guy until about 10 days ago when both Kiper and McShaw proclaimed him a potential top-10 player.

I know some of you knew who he was... but he was projected as more of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Now it's all different.

My point is, at the moment, he's flavor of the month. Things change. At this point a year ago Jonathon Martin was projected by some to be a top-10 pick. No less than top-15. He went 42nd. Not saying that will happen with Warmack, odds are it won't.

Only that things change in the draft. These guys go under the most severe microscopes. And some other players may zoom up the draft board, while others slide down.

All I'm saying is it's too early to fall in love with one player and say we have to have him. That's what makes bad teams reach for players. They think one player will make all the difference for them. It doesn't turn out that way very often.

Just sayin....

Exactly, This is exactly what is wrong with fans making proclamations about how such and such player would be better than so and so. They hear a name on sportscenter and all of a sudden think they know everything about him and assume they have to be better than who we have. Fans just don't know enough or have the necessary skills to make a knowledgeable assessment on players, thats why you have to trust the people who do have the knowledge to make the assessments for us. Yes, they are wrong every now and then, but they are right far more often.

like you said Balzer40 right now we have who we have. I have no doubt that if this o-line does not workout this season, Griggs will do whatever it takes (OL vets or draft choices) to fix the problem, he more than anybody wants to protect Luck. For the upcoming season he did what he could (for the dollars available) to put together the best line possible. Someone said it earlier it can take as much as half a season for a line to gel and I'm hoping this one does, if not I'm sure he will mix the pieces we have to find the best group but, for right now we have what we have and I'm behind them 100% here's to hoping the o-line gels and we have a succesful season "GO COLTS"

I don't know, the fact that he's been working in the NFL for 13 yrs. as a pro scout, director of college scouting, director of player personal, and now.......a General Manager, is pretty good evidence to me.

And during that time the Eagles struggled with the oline, so much so they enticed Mudd out of retirement to help and the first thing he did was replaced three of those lineman, including Justice. So, again, there is no evidence that he knows how to pick offensive lineman.
In the meantime, the rest of us are sitting in front of our computer's second guessing everything he's done. He's gonna make mistakes there's no doubt about that, but even the great and all powerful wizard of GM's......Bill Polian, made plenty of mistakes.

Polian made quite a few, that is why he and Dungy worked well together, the areas where Polian was weak, safeties and LBers, Dungy knew very well. That is also why Mudd was valuable to the Colts he knew ow to scout the olineman that he wanted.

But just because Polian made mistakes does not mean Grigson is good at finding olineman.

Exactly, This is exactly what is wrong with fans making proclamations about how such and such player would be better than so and so. They hear a name on sportscenter and all of a sudden think they know everything about him and assume they have to be better than who we have. Fans just don't know enough or have the necessary skills to make a knowledgeable assessment on players, thats why you have to trust the people who do have the knowledge to make the assessments for us. Yes, they are wrong every now and then, but they are right far more often.

I agree. Fans do the same thing with GMs/coaches... they hear their name watch a few interviews/speeches by that person and think they can determine if they are a good GM/coach. Fans just don't know enough or have the necessary skills to make a knowledgeable assessment on GMs/coaches. That is why you have to wait to see what happens on the field and the players they choose first.

I agree. Fans do the same thing with GMs/coaches... they hear their name watch a few interviews/speeches by that person and think they can determine if they are a good GM/coach. Fans just don't know enough or have the necessary skills to make a knowledgeable assessment on GMs/coaches. That is why you have to wait to see what happens on the field and the players they choose first.

I can agree with that.

Let's say it's next year's draft and Grigson has a choice between an Olineman and a TE,,,.and he has the TE rated higher. Who do you think he chooses? With the guts he showed in last year's draft, he takes the higher rated player. He knows that's what builds great teams and you guys have to quit thinking about need all of the time. The Patriots had a terrible defense last year and they went to the Super Bowl mainly because they drafted 2 great TE's. You have to pick the most talented players when it's your turn.

It seems to me o line, especially the right side, is a concern for a majority of teams. I also find it interesting that the Titans and Texans have (IMHO) 2 of the top 5 Right-OT in the league.

One thing people tend to forget, the o-line takes a long time to grow into a cohesive unit. The consistency of a unit that knows each other, their responsibilities, and can communicate with each other when noise levels are excessive cannot be underestimated. We have what we have, coach them and let them grow into the best unti they can be as quickly as possible. If/when we get a chance for a significant upgrade, then do it and re-start the unit jelling process again.

People act as though we had great O-lines under Polian. We didn't. We rarely ran the ball with any consistency, and Manning made the pass protection look infinitely better than it actually was. With limited time, resources and opportunities, I'd say Grigson has done about as well as he could.

Justice has just been too inconsistent he had some good momemts and had some bad ones he is just too up and down hopefully he has more ups than downs in the season(i wouldnt bank on it but i hope). and as far as McGlynn, I couldnt really get a fair assesment on being that he only played one quarter this preseason(and it was a bad one) but it wasnt as bad as Seth Olsen's play this preseason. we will get a real assesment on McGlynn come Sunday but thats if he is healthy enough to play

Your right McGlynns play wasn't as bad it was WORSE :facepalm:

People act as though we had great O-lines under Polian. We didn't. We rarely ran the ball with any consistency, and Manning made the pass protection look infinitely better than it actually was. With limited time, resources and opportunities, I'd say Grigson has done about as well as he could.

WE had a very good line in Pollians early years

WE had a very good line in Pollians early years

We had a good o-line most of the time Polian was here from 98 threw 07. It was only from about 08 to 11 that it was a mess. Not to say the last four years are excused by the first nine years or so but I think sometimes people (not you per say) tend to look at recent history and try to say that is the way it was the whole time and that's just not true.

Edge lead the league in rushing twice while Polian was here and from 98 to 07 the Colts had a 1,000 yard back every year except for one and that was the year that Edge was coming off a major knee injury. They had four different running backs go over 1,000 yards over that time as well as producing several Pro-Bowl trips for Glenn and Saturday during that time as well as several pro-bowl running backs. They also had one of the least sacked QBs (and no that was not ALL Manning's release) in the NFL and were the back bone to the Super Bowl run in 2006. If that's not a really good O-line if not great I don't know what is. This is an example of people looking at recent history and trying to apply that to the whole Polian era and that is just not the case.