Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Nt Brandon Mckinney [Merge]

Nobody

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0 sacks

NT do not typically get any sacks and get few tackles. They are there to take on two defenders and eat up blockers so the LBs can make the tackles. They are the unsung heros of most great 3-4 defenses. Don't anticipate any of our future NTs getting more than 1 or possibly most 2 in a year..ever.

He might not be the long term answer but might be serviceable for a couple of years. And we surely didn't pay a fortune for him. We could still look for our stud NT next year once we clear some cap space. It's always easy to like the off season moves before anyone has played a snap, but overall I like the moves. I think these guys are taking a measured, common sense approach to things.

He is big but he hasn't seen a lot of games either at San Diego or in baltimore. Maybe he just couldn't get in with both of those teams having dominant guys at the NT spot already. Will see soon. Btw, I think the 2 yr deal signals a pick of NT in the draft to develop. It takes awhile to get a NT playing at a high level unless u get a top 10 pick type.

if we ar eplaying a hybrid he is not going to have that many reps so for the 3-4 packages we will use i think he will be good enough...besides we are still taking a NT in the draft im almost sure just with a late round pick i think

I think a NT should still be drafted, maybe it can wait until the 4th round or later though.

Yeah maybe Hebron Fangupo (sp?) in the 7th... But we don't have to spend our 3rd on Ta'amu now.

I think a NT should still be drafted, maybe it can wait until the 4th round or later though.

I was going to say when guys are this big they don't play every down they need breaks. I would look for us to add another DT at some point rather it be in the draft or later in free agency. This guy isn't going to be an end all be all type of player but it's a starter. Till we signed him we had no one on the roster who could play DT in a 3-4 defense. Now we have someone, it's a starter. Clearly we can up grade the poistion at some point in time probably after this year (anyone know what 3-4 DTs are free agents after this season?). This is about filling a hole so we can run a 3-4 defense right now. We wont get every peace this off-season we are going to have to have some stop gaps this is one of them.

Ya I think he is the 2nd coming, 14 tackles in 6 years sounds awesome.

The Colts have a 3-4 NT on the roster now. That's progress, however small. Ngata, the gold standard for NT, had 36 tackles last year. McKinney had 8 backing him up. We signed a backup who we'll likely ask to start, or at least play a lot more than before. Baby steps. 2-14 isn't going to be fixed in one offseason, one draft.

Height isn't super important if the guy has long enough arms. You want your nose tackle to have leverage, and McKinney certainly has that.

I wanted this dude from the get go and now I'm super excited. I don't think he's amazing or anything, but I thought he was a solid player when given a shot, and the Ravens have a history of solid backup NTs becoming solid starters.

At the very least it's good to have a guy who is experienced.

He is big and will fill a hole. That is what we need and what we have lacked. I don't care if he falls over when they snap the ball, as long as, people can't run up the middle on us. This move is what I was calling for with Kelly Gregg. Not necessarily the final answer, but at least a bandage for a couple of seasons. Who knows, with the right personnel around him, it could work out very well.

Who is he, is he good? Probably not

Why is he "probably not" good?

Playing NT for the Chargers, then the Ravens.....and then Grigson & Pagano, 2 intelligent NFL people, making a point to sign him as a free agent, i'd say he "probably is" good.