Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Guards drafted

Valpo2004

We drafted a guy better than our best offensive lineman, Castanzo. He will play side by side with Nelson, and he with Kelly. 

Now if we can avoid injury, these guys will be stout up front and will be great for stopping the front 7 of our opposing division opponents. Nelson should be able to contain the likes of Jurell Casey and Calais Campbell much better than our previous guard. 

AC - QN - RK - (Slauson?) - (Haeg? Clark?)

This is also something I saw on Twitter:

Will the Colts be hosting an open practice to fans again this year? I’d really like to see it again (went last year) this time with a totally new feel. I know it’s closer to the season, but I was just curious. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I read this and I think this is awesome. . . we almost certainly got a lot better up front.

We just drafted both of the 2017 AP first team All American guards in this draft.  

Listen I said before that I would have rather had Josh Jackson over Smith, but I can say this.  Ballard is 100% committed to keeping Andrew Luck protected.  Grigson never showed this level of commitment to protecting the franchise.  

To Grigsons credit, he drafted 4 offensive lineman in his last draft. It was too late at that point, but at least he got us Kelly and a solid backup in Haeg. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

We drafted a guy better than our best offensive lineman, Castanzo. He will play side by side with Nelson, and he with Kelly. 

Now if we can avoid injury, these guys will be stout up front and will be great for stopping the front 7 of our opposing division opponents. Nelson should be able to contain the likes of Jurell Casey and Calais Campbell much better than our previous guard. 

AC - QN - RK - (Slauson?) - (Haeg? Clark?)

This is also something I saw on Twitter:

Will the Colts be hosting an open practice to fans again this year? I’d really like to see it again (went last year) this time with a totally new feel. I know it’s closer to the season, but I was just curious. Thanks

Colts will be hosting about 2 weeks of open practices.  They are opening back up training camp thankfully albeit in a different location then before.  I too am going to see if I can make it down there.  

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

To Grigsons credit, he drafted 4 offensive lineman in his last draft. It was too late at that point, but at least he got us Kelly and a solid backup in Haeg. 

True, he was pretty much forced to by that point.  Still, 2 of those OL he drafted came after round 3 and the one he drafted in round 3 was a project player.  I'm not saying that Smith or even Nelson start out of the gate because they would have to beat out Mewhort/Slauson (who arn't scrubs when healthy) But neither of these guys are project players they are dominate college players who are ready to start right away.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Colts will be hosting about 2 weeks of open practices.  They are opening back up training camp thankfully albeit in a different location then before.  I too am going to see if I can make it down there.  

True, he was pretty much forced to by that point.  Still, 2 of those OL he drafted came after round 3 and the one he drafted in round 3 was a project player.  I'm not saying that Smith or even Nelson start out of the gate because they would have to beat out Mewhort/Slauson (who arn't scrubs when healthy) But neither of these guys are project players they are dominate college players who are ready to start right away.  

i cant imagine nelson not starting.  it think its more likely that mewhort or slauson get cut or ride the bench until someone gets hurt 

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i cant imagine nelson not starting.  it think its more likely that mewhort or slauson get cut or ride the bench until someone gets hurt 

I could see them kick Mewhort to RT, even if its only to experiment. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I could see them kick Mewhort to RT, even if its only to experiment. 

That failed a few years ago.  He did play T at OSU but I can't imagine his mobility being as good now considering his injuries.

If he can return to form, that's one heck of an interior line. 

Some are penciling Smith in already.  He had his ups and downs at Auburn, he's going to need some seasoning.  I won't be surprised if Slauson is the day 1 starter at RG.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That failed a few years ago.  He did play T at OSU but I can't imagine his mobility being as good now considering his injuries.

Some are penciling Smith in already.  He had his ups and downs at Auburn, he's going to need some seasoning.  I won't be surprised if Slauson is the day 1 starter at RG.

yeah i couldnt remember if they'd tried that before or not. Either way, even if they dont and Mewhort starts at RG, that'll give us some quality depth.  I don't see Nelson moving to RG, so it'll be a combination of Mewhort, Slauson and Smith at RG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

I would be a bit worried if Nelson wasn't starting right away.

That said I see no reason why we would cut Mewhort or Slauson.  They are on ultra cheap 1 year deals and we need the depth.  So I could certainly see one of them starting the season on the bench, I don't think it would make a ton of sense to cut them, their cap hit is so low as it is and we are sitting with plenty of cap money anyways. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

It didn't fail. . . Mewhort got moved back inside because our starting guards at the time where Lance Louis and Trent Cole and they where both getting Luck killed.  No sense in protecting the edge well if you can't protect the middle.

I don't think he gave up one sack during those starts at RT.  

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

It didn't fail. . . Mewhort got moved back inside because our starting guards at the time where Lance Louis and Trent Cole and they where both getting Luck killed.  No sense in protecting the edge well if you can't protect the middle.

I don't think he gave up one sack during those starts at RT.  

I didn't think I could dislike Trent Cole any more...but the decision to try him at G put me over the top.

I think Herremans is who you were thinking of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I didn't think I could dislike Trent Cole any more...but the decision to try him at G put me over the top.

Right.  Herremans was supposed to be the answer at RG but I don’t think he lasted more than a couple games as a starter.

If I remember right, Mewhort didn’t look good at RT, but that could have been because the entire side of the line was bad. 

I think we’re asking a lot for him to kick out there now.  Let’s see if he’s recovered enough to make the team first.  

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Gave up more sacks than he got. Hahaha

• Like 1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2773258-the-biggest-flaw-every-nfl-team-still-must-address-after-the-draft

I know it's Bleacher Report, but I think it still goes to show how many teams don't have quality G's on their roster. This article lists 9 teams' primary "flaw"/need as Guard/Interior OL. Guards typically have a lower value placed on them, but with the number of elite DT's emerging, especially in our division, they're becoming more valuable and less readily available. We just grabbed 2 top G's and I think that will do wonders for allowing our offense the ability to run at will and use that to set up the play action. I know its really optomistic and a bit premature, but our rushing game between the tackles could be among the best in the league this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I could see Mewhort moving to the right side but as guard not at tackle.  I see Smith and Good battling it out at the RT spot.

In the interview of Ballard yesterday on Sirius XM, he identified Mewhort as battling for the RG job, with Matt Slausen and Braden Smith, saying they are hoping Mewhort can come back from his injuries and be the player he once was.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

In the interview of Ballard yesterday on Sirius XM, he identified Mewhort as battling for the RG job, with Matt Slausen and Braden Smith, saying they are hoping Mewhort can come back from his injuries and be the player he once was.

I had not heard that.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Need to find a new LT and move Castonzo to the right side.  Or, off the roster.

Ouch!  have you seen his paycheck.  He's getting paid like one of the best  :sarcasm:, there's no way to move him without a major ego blast.

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Ouch!  have you seen his paycheck.  He's getting paid like one of the best  :sarcasm:, there's no way to move him without a major ego blast.

Sorry, but I can't help it if the Colts were fleeced by this guys ability.  He is marginal at best at LT (just ask Andy).

Here’s why most GM’s don’t waste valuable top 10 picks on guards...

2017 Pro Bowl Guards

AFC

Kelechi Osemele (Oak.)

2nd round, pick 60, Iowa State

Marshal Yanda (Balt.)

3rd, 86, Iowa

David DeCastro (Pitts.)

1st, 24, Stanford

Richie Incognito (Buff.)

3rd, 81, Nebraska

NFC

Zach Martin (Dallas)

1st, 16, Notre Dame

Brandon Scherff (Wash.)

1st, 5, Iowa

T. J. Lang (Green Bay)

4th, 109, Eastern Michigan

Trai Turner (Carolina)

3rd, 92, LSU

Josh Sitton (Chicago)

4th, 135, Central Florida

—————————

Avg draft position: 67

Three first rounders out of nine pro bowl guards, only one of which was picked as high as Nelson.

Even if Nelson is better than Scherff, Ballard could’ve gotten two highly regarded guards after the first round.

As I’ve stated many times, Ballard should’ve stayed put at #3 where he could’ve taken Darnold (or Mayfield depending on the Browns preference), Ward, Chubb, perhaps even Barkley.  Then draft all the o-linemen he wanted.  Most likely he would’ve drafted Chubb at #3, so there’s your pick for the defense.

Ballard did okay but I believe he could’ve done much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

2017 Pro Bowl Guards

AFC

Kelechi Osemele (Oak.)

Marshal Yanda (Balt.)

3rd, 86, Iowa

David DeCastro (Pitts.)

1st, 24, Stanford

Richie Incognito (Buff.)

3rd, 81, Nebraska

NFC

Zach Martin (Dallas)

1st, 16, Notre Dame

Brandon Scherff (Wash.)

1st, 5, Iowa

T. J. Lang (Green Bay)

Trai Turner (Carolina)

3rd, 92, LSU

Josh Sitton (Chicago)

—————————

Three first rounders out of nine pro bowl guards, only one of which was picked as high as Nelson.

Even if Nelson is better than Scherff, Ballard could’ve gotten two highly regarded guards after the first round.

As I’ve stated many times, Ballard should’ve stayed put at #3 where he could’ve taken Darnold (or Mayfield depending on the Browns preference), Ward, Chubb, perhaps even Barkley.  Then draft all the o-linemen he wanted.  Most likely he would’ve drafted Chubb at #3, so there’s your pick for the defense.

Saying Ballard's picks of two guards is wasted picks is too pre mature. He took Nelson who was considered the best player in the draft by many. That's not good enough for you?

You said it yourself, most GMs don't waste picks on guards in the top 10. Well Ballard is not like "most" GMs thank god.

12 hours ago, P'Son said:

Sorry, but I can't help it if the Colts were fleeced by this guys ability.  He is marginal at best at LT (just ask Andy).

Castonzo is a fine LT. He's coming off of probably his best season, by Ballard's opinion. And Pff agrees with Ballard, they rated him as the 6th best tackle in the NFL in 2017. Left and right tackles combined.

So he is not Tyron Smith, but a very fine player. Regarding his contract, he is the 13th highest paid tackle in the NFL at the moment. Which is fine, considering when his contract was signed and the number of young tackles who are due to a new contract soon (Lewan for example). By the time his contract expires, it won't even be in the top20 probably.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

2017 Pro Bowl Guards

AFC

Kelechi Osemele (Oak.)

Marshal Yanda (Balt.)

3rd, 86, Iowa

David DeCastro (Pitts.)

1st, 24, Stanford

Richie Incognito (Buff.)

3rd, 81, Nebraska

NFC

Zach Martin (Dallas)

1st, 16, Notre Dame

Brandon Scherff (Wash.)

1st, 5, Iowa

T. J. Lang (Green Bay)

Trai Turner (Carolina)

3rd, 92, LSU

Josh Sitton (Chicago)

—————————

Great Post

3 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

2017 Pro Bowl Guards

AFC

Kelechi Osemele (Oak.)

Marshal Yanda (Balt.)

3rd, 86, Iowa

David DeCastro (Pitts.)

1st, 24, Stanford

Richie Incognito (Buff.)

3rd, 81, Nebraska

NFC

Zach Martin (Dallas)

1st, 16, Notre Dame

Brandon Scherff (Wash.)

1st, 5, Iowa

T. J. Lang (Green Bay)

Trai Turner (Carolina)

3rd, 92, LSU

Josh Sitton (Chicago)

—————————

As I’ve stated many times, Ballard should’ve stayed put at #3 where he could’ve taken Darnold (or Mayfield depending on the Browns preference), Ward, Chubb, perhaps even Barkley.  Then draft all the o-linemen he wanted.  Most likely he would’ve drafted Chubb at #3, so there’s your pick fsendor the defense.

Please send your resume in to the Colts personnel folks.  ;^)

I should be like @krunk and not waste my fingers responding to some of these.

1. One, one poster actually took the sample of all guards drafted in the first round and then look at 1 pro bowl year to make his point.  Really?  I admit good guards can be found all rounds of the draft but that manipulation of numbers is laughable.

2.  I see someone else brought up the "move AC to RT".  I will say this AGAIN, one, AC is a very good LT and he will look even better with Nelson next to him because he will be able to take a full drop step and not have to cheat to the inside to consistently help with Vuj.  two it makes no sense to take a guy who has been playing LT for 12 years in college and NFL and has been the starting LT for every game he has played through 3 GMs, 3 HC (soon to be 4), 3 OC and (if I remember correctly) 4 oline coaches.  That suggestion shows me that a) the person doesn't watch the oline play, b) if the person watches oline doesn't understand what they are seeing and c) has no idea about the differences in movement between the right side and left and they don't understand that most of the edge rushers are lining up on the defensive left side (ie outside the RT).

3.  overall I don't think people understand the shift happening in the NFL.  Over the past 10-15 years the NFL has become a passing league, so the defensive adjustment to that has been the "edge rusher", it took a bit for DCs to figure out which attributes are needed to be a good edge rusher.  Now they have it figured out more and more teams are getting that good edge rusher.  Another side effect of the edge rusher is the MLBs or ILBs have to be smaller and faster to cover more ground because now they are responsible of the areas being vacated by the edge rusher. So offenses are responding and adjusting the offense to negate the edge rusher and smaller faster MLBs/ILBs. How are they doing that?  By running between the tackles.  When you run between the tackles the guard position becomes more critical (now I admit I did not think the Colts would draft a guard at 6 but my word since they did at least they did it on the consensus best guard prospect in over a decade.).  

Just imagine what Luck can do in an offensive type system that makes Dak Prescott look like an excellent NFL QB and Nick Foles look like an elite QB.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts on this thread in no particular order:

1) I am not a fan in principle to taking interior OL in pick 1-32 but I recognize that interior OL is more important today than it was in the past, so in my mind I modify that thought to take one late in the first round if you must.

2) Our OL has sucked harder than 2 dyson ball vacuum's on crack for too long, so if you are finally going to act you are probably going to over react and I get that too

3) I see the Colts experimenting with Smith at RT before I see them giving Mewhort with a bum wheel another shot at it.

4) We still need at least a respectable RT to have a "good" OL. So they need to convert someone or someone from the B-listers that have been starting for us needs to make a mind blowing leap in ability to fully address the short comings.

5) I made peace with taking Nelson with the six, but I still hoped in my heart of hearts they would add 1 G and 1 RT in the 2nd or 3rd round and go defense with that six, or trade back and take D with whatever they traded back for...

6) I will withhold my judgment on the way it went down until I see it on the field.

• Like 1

Mewhort is good nough to be a valuable part of this Oline, however we know most of the issue is injury related.  Is his injury something that our new wunderkind trainer can fix or does he have a degenerative issue that will only get worse?

I love the Nelson pick at #6. I was on the Chubb train, but I've warmed up to Earl Grey. Thank, God, the Browns took Ward at #4, because Denver likely would have snagged QN at #5. Imagine how different the draft would have been for us then.

I'm not certain, but I suspect the Colts were looking at Will Hernandez in R2/3 pick, but the Giants cashed in instead. I would rather of had Will, but I'm happy with Smith

Edit: we're going to need a nickname for this OL

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I should be like @krunk and not waste my fingers responding to some of these.

1. One, one poster actually took the sample of all guards drafted in the first round and then look at 1 pro bowl year to make his point.  Really?  I admit good guards can be found all rounds of the draft but that manipulation of numbers is laughable.

2.  I see someone else brought up the "move AC to RT".  I will say this AGAIN, one, AC is a very good LT and he will look even better with Nelson next to him because he will be able to take a full drop step and not have to cheat to the inside to consistently help with Vuj.  two it makes no sense to take a guy who has been playing LT for 12 years in college and NFL and has been the starting LT for every game he has played through 3 GMs, 3 HC (soon to be 4), 3 OC and (if I remember correctly) 4 oline coaches.  That suggestion shows me that a) the person doesn't watch the oline play, b) if the person watches oline doesn't understand what they are seeing and c) has no idea about the differences in movement between the right side and left and they don't understand that most of the edge rushers are lining up on the defensive left side (ie outside the RT).

3.  overall I don't think people understand the shift happening in the NFL.  Over the past 10-15 years the NFL has become a passing league, so the defensive adjustment to that has been the "edge rusher", it took a bit for DCs to figure out which attributes are needed to be a good edge rusher.  Now they have it figured out more and more teams are getting that good edge rusher.  Another side effect of the edge rusher is the MLBs or ILBs have to be smaller and faster to cover more ground because now they are responsible of the areas being vacated by the edge rusher. So offenses are responding and adjusting the offense to negate the edge rusher and smaller faster MLBs/ILBs. How are they doing that?  By running between the tackles.  When you run between the tackles the guard position becomes more critical (now I admit I did not think the Colts would draft a guard at 6 but my word since they did at least they did it on the consensus best guard prospect in over a decade.).  

Just imagine what Luck can do in an offensive type system that makes Dak Prescott look like an excellent NFL QB and Nick Foles look like an elite QB.

Please pick a year other than 2017 — ANY year — and we’ll look up which rounds the Pro Bowl guards were taken.  I’m waiting...

46 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

Please pick a year other than 2017 — ANY year — and we’ll look up which rounds the Pro Bowl guards were taken.  I’m waiting...

What has that have to do with Ballard?  You can complain and argue all you want, it don't matter. Ballard drafted two 0ffensive linemen with the first two picks. How about waiting a see how this works out before condemning any picks.

The trenches have been ignored long enough. Our QBs have took a beating for the last 6 years. We have used how many QBs in those 6 years? We had to trade for a back up QB and he got killed last season.

If you don't think Ballard's #1 priority in this draft was to draft the players who stands the best chance at protecting Luck or who ever is the QB you are not even close to seeing the picture. You are complaining about Ballard taking Nelson who is considered by a lot of NFL knowledgeable people the best player in the draft? Get outta here.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 1:47 PM, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

2017 Pro Bowl Guards

Three first rounders out of nine pro bowl guards, only one of which was picked as high as Nelson. As I’ve stated many times, Ballard should’ve stayed put at #3 where he could’ve taken Darnold (or Mayfield depending on the Browns preference), Ward, Chubb, perhaps even Barkley. 

2017 Pro Bowl Quarterbacks:

Tom Brady (#199), Derek Carr (#36), Ben Roethlisberger (#11),  Matt Ryan (#3); Aaron Rodgers (#24), Dak Prescott (#135)

Avg draft position: 68

Seriously, without going into further details: you cannot average numbers over such small sample sizes to draw conclusions, because one outlier sample can heavily modify the result. This is "rule number one" in analytics / statistics.

If you want to approach the draft from analytical / statistical point of view, here is an article to read. This has large enough sample size, and uses (more or less) correct methodology. According to this study, the OL has the highest success rate of any position in round one. So if you want to "make sure" your 1st rounder won't be a bust, draft an OL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

2017 Pro Bowl Quarterbacks:

Tom Brady (#199), Derek Carr (#36), Ben Roethlisberger (#11),  Matt Ryan (#3); Aaron Rodgers (#24), Dak Prescott (#135)

Avg draft position: 68

Seriously, without going into further details: you cannot average numbers over such small sample sizes to draw conclusions, because one outlier sample can heavily modify the result. This is "rule number one" in analytics / statistics.

If you want to approach the draft from analytical / statistical point of view, here is an article to read. This has large enough sample size, and uses (more or less) correct methodology. According to this study, the OL has the highest success rate of any position in round one. So if you want to "make sure" your 1st rounder won't be a bust, draft an OL.

It's not about picking the highest rated player or avoiding busts at all costs.  If the highest rated player were a punter would you use the #6 pick on him if you needed one?  Certain positions like QB and edge rushers are way more important than guards that you can pick up later.  It's about maximizing the entire draft, not just taking one safe pick and grabbing a beer and easy chair.  As to busts, any GM too afraid to make a pick because it could backfire should quit.  They happen and you have to accept that and move on, otherwise you'll keep trading down to minimize your risk and assemble a nice bottom dweller.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What has that have to do with Ballard?  You can complain and argue all you want, it don't matter. Ballard drafted two 0ffensive linemen with the first two picks. How about waiting a see how this works out before condemning any picks.

The trenches have been ignored long enough. Our QBs have took a beating for the last 6 years. We have used how many QBs in those 6 years? We had to trade for a back up QB and he got killed last season.

If you don't think Ballard's #1 priority in this draft was to draft the players who stands the best chance at protecting Luck or who ever is the QB you are not even close to seeing the picture. You are complaining about Ballard taking Nelson who is considered by a lot of NFL knowledgeable people the best player in the draft? Get outta here.

You don't draft a long snapper at #6 because you need one and he's the highest rated player in the draft.  My point was that you can get guards good enough to protect Andrew later in the draft, while adding a real difference maker at a more important position.  Ballard had a nice, lazy draft.  That's the real picture here.