Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels Contract?

life long

Obviously we will have to just wait and see, but if we do sign him as rumored, what do YOU think the contract will look like? Any outs after a few years? How much guaranteed?

I'd imagine a 6 year deal $60+ million. I would be absolutely floored if it was even in the same breath as a Gruden deal. Although even excluding Grudens deal several other guys have snagged mega deals recently as well.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

My guess, 

3 years, full guaranteed, 8-10 mil average including possible incentives

2 year team options, partially guaranteed, 10 mil average including possible incentives

5 year, 50 million total with incentives

If Ballard can make that happen he is truly a great GM.

But my guess would be Josh wants some security after his quick stint in Demver.

Goodness gracious people here are terrible with money.

McDaniels is NOT getting Jon Gruden money.    Not years or $$$.

Closer to 5 years and 6 million per year.

And the contracts for coaches are mostly fully guaranteed.

Yes, Pagano gut 6 years, but NOT in one contract.    4 years in his first deal.   4 more on his second deal.   The Colts will pay off the last two.

Come on now......

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

McDaniels is NIT getting Jon Gruden money.    Not years or $$$.

Yes, Pagano gut 6 years, but NIT in one contract.    4 years in his first deal.   4 more on his second deal.   The Colts will pay off the last two.

Come on now......

NOT* :D

Just now, life long said:

Which is why IMO the colts jobs was favorable over the Titans. They proved to be a but short sighted....

Yeah, seen a thing last night on ESPN, other than Fisher, the Titans have averaged a new Head coach every 2-3 years since 1961

25 minutes ago, life long said:

Obviously we will have to just wait and see, but if we do sign him as rumored, what do YOU think the contract will look like? Any outs after a few years? How much guaranteed?

I'd imagine a 6 year deal $60+ million. I would be absolutely floored if it was even in the same breath as a Gruden deal. Although even excluding Grudens deal several other guys have snagged mega deals recently as well.

6 years $36-48 mil. is what I am thinking (though leaning towards the lower part there). 6 years is important to show commitment to a new HC, so I think you will be right on that longevity front.

I do think an extra mil. for getting to the SB and an extra mil. for winning a SB can be an incentive that can make each year get up to $8-9 mil. if things work out right.

Money goes a long way in the Indy area too :) 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, Pagano gut 6 years, but NIT in one contract.    4 years in his first deal.   4 more on his second deal.   The Colts will pay off the last two.

Come on now......

LOL so does the "o" key not work only when you are trying to type the word "not"?  haha

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Come on now......

Confirmed, Colts are going to the NIT next year! if this McDaniels thing works out the Colts might mess around and get an invite to the NCAA tournament. *fingers crossed*

31 minutes ago, life long said:

But my guess would be Josh wants some security after his quick stint in Demver.

That's where the 5 year, first 3 fully guaranteed come into play.  with the team options for year 4 and 5.  Means it gives both sides the incentive to be committed yet gives a way out IF it fails after 3 years. 

With coaches like Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, Payton, Carroll and Harbaugh all in the 7-8 m range I think chad72's projection is fairly close. Gruden's deal is an extreme outlier.  

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

6 years $36-48 mil. is what I am thinking (though leaning towards the lower part there). 6 years is important to show commitment to a new HC, so I think you will be right on that longevity front.

I do think an extra mil. for getting to the SB and an extra mil. for winning a SB can be an incentive that can make each year get up to $8-9 mil. if things work out right.

Money goes a long way in the Indy area too :) 

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That's where the 5 year, first 3 fully guaranteed come into play.  with the team options for year 4 and 5.  Means it gives both sides the incentive to be committed yet gives a way out IF it fails after 3 years. 

McDaniels has leverage.   He has multiple teams interested in him.    He's not accepting a five year deal where only three are guaranteed.     Every year he gets us going to be fully guaranteed.  

He's a marquee guy,  that's what the market will bring him.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

McDaniels has leverage.   He has multiple teams interested in him.    He's not accepting a five year deal where only three are guaranteed.     Every year he gets us going to be fully guaranteed.  

He's a marquee guy,  that's what the market will bring him.

you're probably right.  Like I said, it's merely a guess.  Most likely wrong.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, Pagano gut 6 years, but NOT in one contract.    4 years in his first deal.   4 more on his second deal.   The Colts will pay off the last two.

Come on now......

5 years, $35 million is my guess.

HC contracts are almost always guaranteed, and "blue chip" HC money runs about $7 - 8MM a year. That would put McD in the same bracket as Carroll, Payton, and Belichick. Pagano was reportedly making about $4.5 - 5MM, but that number may be from before the ill-conceived extension. I wouldn't be surprised if McD has bargained for some incentives thrown in for things like making the playoffs, winning the division outright, getting to the AFC championship game, winning the AFC, winning the Super Bowl. 

Whatever the cost, cheaping out on your HC doesn't seem to be a winning strategy. Pay the man. If he doesn't pan out, give him the hook. It's only money, and it isn't even our money!

When did NFL coaches start making $10M per?  Did I miss that wave?  Gruden got it because he was giving up a $6M per job sitting on his tookus at ESPN on Monday nights.  I don't know who else gets that much but I must have been hibernating when this started.

53 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

5 years, $35 million is my guess.

Yup, $35-40m. I don't see more than five years. The Niners did six for Shanahan and Lynch because they were hiring their fourth coach in four years, and they had to offer some stability. The Raiders did ten years for Gruden because they're the Raiders. 

It seems like typical contracts for first team head coaches are four years, and five years for retreads. Dungy got a five year deal with the Colts, Caldwell got a four year deal, Pagano got a four year deal. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The Raiders did ten years for Gruden because they're the Raiders. 

They're the Raiders, & it's Jon Gruden. No way he's leaving the broadcast booth for anything less than a ridiculous king's ransom. I was all about Gruden coming to the Colts when those rumors were swirling, but a 10 year, $100 million, fully guaranteed contract is insanity.

47 minutes ago, tikyle said:

When did NFL coaches start making $10M per?  Did I miss that wave?  Gruden got it because he was giving up a $6M per job sitting on his tookus at ESPN on Monday nights.  I don't know who else gets that much but I must have been hibernating when this started.

Nobody else...

Belicheck and Payton both make roughly eight million per.     Gruden contract jumps everyone's in both total Years (10) and $$ per year (10).    It will not be a contract that is popular with the other 31 owners.  They will be extremely unhappy.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They're the Raiders, & it's Jon Gruden. No way he's leaving the broadcast booth for anything less than a ridiculous king's ransom. I was all about Gruden coming to the Colts when those rumors were swirling, but a 10 year, $100 million, fully guaranteed contract is insanity.

I wonder if that figure includes his ownership stake?

It will be on high end range of top paid coaches salaries. I think McDaniels has been their target for a while, they knew he would be hot commodity, and Irsay is pretty open with the check book when he wants something (which also why I think we would have still gotten him if it came to a bidding war like several posters feared).

I bet that part went pretty smoothly... and as long as McDaniels asked for something reasonable (in line with top tier coaches) in terms of salary it was probably given without much negotiation. 

First off most NFL coach's contract are really never disclosed so all of these numbers that everyone throws out are just educated guesses that said Belichick's salary is around $12.5 million per year but again that is just an estimate, it was reported multiple times that even with Gruden's INSANE contract he still wouldn't be the highest paid coach but for a new coach the numbers that have been reported are 3-5 million for 4ish years.  If said coach is pursued by multiple team that number probably goes to 5-7 million.  I think with McD gets 6 for 36 with performance incentives (something like and extra million for winning the division or making the playoffs for the first 3 years and then those benchmarks switch to making the Superbowl and winning the Superbowl in years 4-6), I don't think McD would settle for anything less than 6 years because on a 4 year deal they can boot him after year 2 and only be on the hook for 2 years (just like Denver did).  

9 hours ago, life long said:

Which is why IMO the colts jobs was favorable over the Titans. They proved to be a bit short sighted....

They proved smart enough to cut bait instead of hanging on to a guy they don't believe in.