Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do The Colts Need Another TE?

Dark Superman

The TE position is something I rarely see people discussing on this forum. Jack Doyle is great and is having another great year despite playing with a backup QB and bad O-line. Last year we saw some flashes of Erik Swoope possibly taking over as our #2 TE, but Swoope's been injured all season and hasn't even seen the field this year. I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts pursue another TE in order to give Luck another big target to rely on.

I'm not sure if there's anyone in the draft that we could target in the middle rounds of the draft and I haven't looked into who may be available during Free Agency.

I know Jimmy Graham is having a solid year with the Seahawks and he's due to become a FA after the season. I have no idea what Seattle's cap situation is, but they do have a lot of high paid players on defense and they still have Russell Wilson.

Could you imagine Jimmy Graham coming to Indianapolis to play with Luck (Perhaps Saquon Barkley) TY Hilton, Marlon Mack, Jack Doyle, and whoever the Colts decide to pursue or retain.

Luck and Jimmy G. would light it up inside the red zone. This is just something that I had been thinking about for the past two weeks or so.

Thoughts?

I think if we were to look at another TE he would need to be a solid blocker, especially due to our o-line deficiencies and the fact Mack is still not up on the protection. 

Jimmy Graham has been a solid pass catcher this year but I have seen instances of terrible, borderline lazy, blocking (admittedly these are just clips showing the worst of it but its pretty damning).

I would like to see us draft someone in the middle rounds and hopefully have Doyle and Swoope at full fitness next year, although Swoope's continued lack of availability this year has been disappointing.

I think the start of season idea was that Brandon Williams was the back up to Doyle (more of a blocking TE with some short yardage capability) and Erik Swope was going to be the field stretcher (ala Dallas Clark) type.....but with our QB situation, I don't think it much matters this season, Brissett is still struggling to make it all the way thru his progressions on most plays, so getting to the TE option on most plays wouldn't happen anyway.

Yes, I still think we need another TE. I was super excited to see Swoope again in a 2nd full year, but he got hurt. 

Chud's system usually just has one TE block and then Doyle goes out for passes. I'd like to see 2 TE's go out for passes, but with this O-Line, we need all the blocking help we can get. 

Yes, of course.

I miss the days when the Colts had Dilger and Pollard.

I know we had Dallas Clark for 7-8 years, but I don't remember having a solid number two behind him.

Fletcher and Utecht weren't anything special.

I liked Fleener and Allen, but we kept the injury-prone Allen over Fleener and looked how that turned out.

I miss Fleener..I'm still upset we dumped him for Allen.

36 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Yes, of course.

I miss the days when the Colts had Dilger and Pollard.

I know we had Dallas Clark for 7-8 years, but I don't remember having a solid number two behind him.

Fletcher and Utecht weren't anything special.

I liked Fleener and Allen, but we kept the injury-prone Allen over Fleener and looked how that turned out.

I miss Fleener..I'm still upset we dumped him for Allen.

yep a fleener/doyle combo would have been nice.

I was expecting big things from Swoope...it sucks he got bit with the injury bug. Now he has to be a question mark going forward...even though I assume the Colts will give him one more year.

Even with Swoope, I really wanted to see them draft a TE in this past draft. It was a very deep class...and there was good value to be had in the middle rounds (when they were busy throwing away a pick on Banner). Still disappointed that Ballard didn't grab one. 

I wonder if Ballard will be looking at TEs in this class.

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I was expecting big things from Swoope...it sucks he got bit with the injury bug. Now he has to be a question mark going forward...even though I assume the Colts will give him one more year.

Even with Swoope, I really wanted to see them draft a TE in this past draft. It was a very deep class...and there was good value to be had in the middle rounds (when they were busy throwing away a pick on Banner). Still disappointed that Ballard didn't grab one. 

I wonder if Ballard will be looking at TEs in this class.

Ballard is a guy who loves open competition.

They could bring Swoope back next season and either Draft or sign a free agent.

I would love to see the Colts add another big reliable target for Luck.

Letting Fleener walk for Allen made zero sense.

Fleener was more productive and had a ton of chemistry with Luck.

I felt like Fleener was constantly improving while Allen spent most of his Colts career licking his wounds.

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yes, I still think we need another TE. I was super excited to see Swoope again in a 2nd full year, but he got hurt. 

Chud's system usually just has one TE block and then Doyle goes out for passes. I'd like to see 2 TE's go out for passes, but with this O-Line, we need all the blocking help we can get. 

Wasn't this his third year with the Colts?

I agree that it is definitely a position that should at least be looked at. I came across a good one for the draft while watching the Notre Dame O-line.

Durham Smythe. 

He is a pretty solid run blocker. He's kind of under used in their offense, as a receiver, due to their commitment to the run and Equinimious St. Brown seeing a lot of the targets. But when he gets targeted, it's a catch. He catches EVERYTHING, and might have better hands than St. Brown. Check him out.

16 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

The TE position is something I rarely see people discussing on this forum. Jack Doyle is great and is having another great year despite playing with a backup QB and bad O-line. Last year we saw some flashes of Erik Swoope possibly taking over as our #2 TE, but Swoope's been injured all season and hasn't even seen the field this year. I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts pursue another TE in order to give Luck another big target to rely on.

I'm not sure if there's anyone in the draft that we could target in the middle rounds of the draft and I haven't looked into who may be available during Free Agency.

I know Jimmy Graham is having a solid year with the Seahawks and he's due to become a FA after the season. I have no idea what Seattle's cap situation is, but they do have a lot of high paid players on defense and they still have Russell Wilson.

Could you imagine Jimmy Graham coming to Indianapolis to play with Luck (Perhaps Saquon Barkley) TY Hilton, Marlon Mack, Jack Doyle, and whoever the Colts decide to pursue or retain.

Luck and Jimmy G. would light it up inside the red zone. This is just something that I had been thinking about for the past two weeks or so.

Thoughts?

What about Penn States TE if we go after a tight end I have seen he could be had somewhere in the 3rd round and he is very good at both blocking and catching the ball.

5 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't want anyone that resembles Dwayne Allen. LOL.

Prior to the hip he wasn't bad. Afterwards he wasn't the same guy.

But I'd still want someone like him, (physically, like I wrote earlier) who would be a little harder to tackle if he gets the ball, and provide a push if they have to be an end blocker on a run.

But long story short, I'd definitely be ok with investing a late rd pick on someone at TE. I also wouldn't want Allen back, just used his measurements as the route of TE I'd want.

The Colts 2nd TE plays about 30% of the snaps and a lot of that is blocking, investing big money in a FA for that would be silly when there are so many more needs. How about a 2nd receiver since Moncreif, Dorsett and now Aiken have all been disappointments, that should be a much bigger concern. 

I agree with the original premise of this post. The Colts do need a second TE that can catch and block. Maybe Travis or Swoope steps up big time next year, but they are still no more than question marks. This team should invest in a second TE behind Doyle. And it should be a priority.