Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck perhaps a LONG way off....

NewColtsFan

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I'm sorry.  All I saw was some soft tossing back and forth - from a stationary position.  And no, I've never "played a sport" - I've spent my life of 60+ years as a keyboard warrior.  How about you?

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to play several sports.  When a player is doing what Pagano said he was scheduled to do, that would be practicing, weather you or I witnessed it.  I doubt they are going to film the practice just so the fans can see it.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Well, your opinion has a bunch inaccuracy. 

You tell me my post has a bunch of innacuracies and yet you don't even tell me one of them?!?

Feel free.     Knock yourself out.    What are the innacuracies?!?

I'm waiting.....

22 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I'm sorry.  All I saw was some soft tossing back and forth - from a stationary position.  And no, I've never "played a sport" - I've spent my life of 60+ years as a keyboard warrior.  How about you?

then perhaps you are not the best person to be commenting on whether or not the activities Luck is participating in constitutes practicing or not.

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Jacoby just needs to keep us within distance of our division leader until Luck gets back. Our division is beating up on itself so it’s possible to win our division.

I expect the Texans to come back down to earth KC this week, Jags probably lose to PIT, & Titans are playing MIA, but likely without Mariota. If we can eek out a W vs SF, & they all lose, it’d be a 4-way tie for first place.

Best division in football!

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Jacoby just needs to keep us within distance of our division leader until Luck gets back. Our division is beating up on itself so it’s possible to win our division.

We need to loss the division... Higher draft pick and Pagano get freaking fired

Jim Miller on Sirius XM just said it took him two to three years for him to feel normal after his similar surgery.

He and Pat Kirwin are basically saying, best case scenario, Luck is 3 - 4 weeks away ... and that if the team loses a couple of more games, they would for sure shut him down for the year.

PK also said, though, that he thinks that keeping him off of IR was the correct thing, as he is able to practice two weeks sooner than otherwise, which puts him 2 weeks ahead as compared to if he was put on IR.

38 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to play several sports.  When a player is doing what Pagano said he was scheduled to do, that would be practicing, weather you or I witnessed it.  I doubt they are going to film the practice just so the fans can see it.

LOLOLOL - those tosses were nothing more than continued rehab.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Up front,  I'd like to apologize....    I don't mean to dump a buck of cold water on the enthusiasm for Luck's return.

This post is entirely MY OPINION.       Allow me to explain how I came to this conclusion....

Two things.....

First,  here is Luck's practice schedule for this week....   this comes right from Pagano today.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said QB Andrew Luck will practice today.  Luck warm up with the quarterbacks, then do individual work with quarterbacks, then do routes vs. air.  Luck won't practice Thursday and then will practice again on Friday.     

NOTE:    Luck is doing very little work and they've already decided he's NOT practicing tomorrow (Thursday)   and then he'll practice on Friday.  Likely the same practice Friday that he's doing on Wednesday.    I believe that was the plan.    Building up to doing the same practice in back to back days.    Luck is not there yet.

Luck is not even ready to practice back-to-back days when he's doing almost nothing.     And this is after corrective surgery.     Not good.

Second,  on my phone, is the mid-day update where Bob Lamey interviews Chris Ballard today.      Ballard says they're going to bring Andrew back "slowly."    Also,  Ballard says "in time"  they will work Luck in to doing more and more in practice.    So,  Ballard is using words like "slowly" and "in time" to describe Luck's practice routine.    That tells me he's not a week or two away.     It tell me the timeline could be longer.      Perhaps much longer.

NOTE:    For some odd reason,  the Ballard interview is on my phone off of Colts.com,  but I couldn't find it on-line from my computer when I started to write this post.      If it's now posted on the website -- great.     Take a listen.    Ballard starts talking about 1:35 into the piece which is roughly 2:30 long.

UPDATE:    Lamy interviewed Ballard on Monday.   Here is the FULL interview.    If you want to listen to the whole thing,  it's 11:40.    But Ballard talking about Luck is at the 11:00 mark and runs about 35 seconds or so.     So you CAN hear the sound bite about Andrew.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Will-Return-To-Practice-This-Week/f02fb6f5-8ff1-4851-81bb-ba5582fa2083

I'm making this post so people here can adjust their expectations.     Hey,  I hope I'm wrong!    I know people here are targeting the Tennessee game on the 16th or the J'Ville game on the 22nd....    but we might not get that lucky.   (Pun not intended)

Hope you won't kill the messenger....     maybe I'm wrong.     Let's hope so....            :peek:

Is Christmas canceled this year too?

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

Ummm okay?

Just fine.  I know we fans are all looking for anything positive to point to.  I've had rotator cuff surgery.  It takes quite a while to recover from any shoulder injury and the resulting surgery.  Luck's "practice" reminded me of the same sort of things I had to do in my rehab - playing catch, bouncing a large ball off a mini-tramp, etc.  It takes a lot to build back up to anything near the former strength, flexibility and velocity.  I just don't see him being back to starting form until very late in this season...if then.

I don't think he's playing in the next month from the language being used. His saying "I'll play this year" is ripe for parsing. 

We'll see. If this team doesn't win a game in the next six weeks and he's not really 100%, I'm not sure how I'd feel about him playing.

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Just based on what I see and hear, I think we're talking a three-week timeline at best for Luck. Don't see him playing on MNF vs Titans.

True but a 3 week timeline isn't that long.  Puts us about mid-season right??

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Up front,  I'd like to apologize....    I don't mean to dump a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm for Luck's return.

This post is entirely MY OPINION.       Allow me to explain how I came to this conclusion....

Two things.....

First,  here is Luck's practice schedule for this week....   this comes right from Pagano today.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said QB Andrew Luck will practice today.  Luck warm up with the quarterbacks, then do individual work with quarterbacks, then do routes vs. air.  Luck won't practice Thursday and then will practice again on Friday.     

NOTE:    Luck is doing very little work and they've already decided he's NOT practicing tomorrow (Thursday)   and then he'll practice on Friday.  Likely the same practice Friday that he's doing on Wednesday.    I believe that was the plan.    Building up to doing the same practice in back to back days.    Luck is not there yet.

Luck is not even ready to practice back-to-back days when he's doing almost nothing.     And this is after corrective surgery.     Not good.

Second,  on my phone, is the mid-day update where Bob Lamey interviews Chris Ballard today.      Ballard says they're going to bring Andrew back "slowly."    Also,  Ballard says "in time"  they will work Luck in to doing more and more in practice.    So,  Ballard is using words like "slowly" and "in time" to describe Luck's practice routine.    That tells me he's not a week or two away.     It tell me the timeline could be longer.      Perhaps much longer.

NOTE:    For some odd reason,  the Ballard interview is on my phone off of Colts.com,  but I couldn't find it on-line from my computer when I started to write this post.      If it's now posted on the website -- great.     Take a listen.    Ballard starts talking about 1:35 into the piece which is roughly 2:30 long.

UPDATE:    Lamy interviewed Ballard on Monday.   Here is the FULL interview.    If you want to listen to the whole thing,  it's 11:40.    But Ballard talking about Luck is at the 11:00 mark and runs about 35 seconds or so.     So you CAN hear the sound bite about Andrew.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Will-Return-To-Practice-This-Week/f02fb6f5-8ff1-4851-81bb-ba5582fa2083

I'm making this post so people here can adjust their expectations.     Hey,  I hope I'm wrong!    I know people here are targeting the Tennessee game on the 16th or the J'Ville game on the 22nd....    but we might not get that lucky.   (Pun not intended)

Hope you won't kill the messenger....     maybe I'm wrong.     Let's hope so....            :peek:

Two things. . . 

I'm not all that worried about a rest day.  Luck got a rest day every week of 2016.  The question is what he is doing on those days.  Of course throwing routes vs. air is a good ways away from returning.  

The post I quoted earlier said something like a 3 week time period.  That seems reasonable.  Puts him coming back at about mid-season.  

Question when they say "routes vs. air" what does that mean??  Does that mean he's throwing at receivers running routes but with no defenders or coverage on the field?  Does that mean he's just throwing the ball to a place where the receiver would be.  

I ask this because I assumed it was the first but the news article about him returning to practice shows him taking a snap with an OL in front.  That doesn't mean there is a defense on the field, but it makes me curious.  

haha      same 'ol  same 'ol  

I expected everyone to be happy that he's out on the field, practicing,  finally,  making some progress.

There are several, like me, happy to see this.

those who aren't...   Well, nothing will ever be good enough.   

22 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

LOLOLOL - those tosses were nothing more than continued rehab.

To quote myself from the other thread.

How hard would you like Luck to throw, the guy was ten yards away from him?

Also, if you'll notice, Brissett threw about as hard as Luck did.  More than likely, because the guy he was throwing to was also only ten yards away.

2 minutes ago, Gramz said:

haha      same 'ol  same 'ol  

I expected everyone to be happy that he's out on the field, practicing,  finally,  making some progress.

There are several, like me, happy to see this.

those who aren't...   Well, nothing will ever be good enough.   

A lot of Debbie Downers around here for sure.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

To quote myself from the other thread.

How hard would you like Luck to throw, the guy was ten yards away from him?

Also, if you'll notice, Brissett threw about as hard as Luck did.  More than likely, because the guy he was throwing to was also only ten yards away.

What do they call that....  Dink and Dunk...??  :P     It can be very successful,   so I'm told.    :hat: 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

So the Colts release a video of Luck soft-tossing from 10 yards away...and this is a development? I hope not. I would hope he has been able to do this for a while now. 

I believe, as stated several times in this thread,   this was the warm-up portion.    

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They were warming up, all the QBs were throwing the exact same distance. What were you expecting for the media portion of practice?

The Colts were the ones who released the video though. Are the people who cover the team internally subject to the same access? I am asking...I have no idea. 

For me to get excited, I would expect to at least see him throwing to a couple of WRs running routes...with a bit of distance and velocity. But that's just my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Two things. . . 

I'm not all that worried about a rest day.  Luck got a rest day every week of 2016.  The question is what he is doing on those days.  Of course throwing routes vs. air is a good ways away from returning.  

The post I quoted earlier said something like a 3 week time period.  That seems reasonable.  Puts him coming back at about mid-season.  

Question when they say "routes vs. air" what does that mean??  Does that mean he's throwing at receivers running routes but with no defenders or coverage on the field?  Does that mean he's just throwing the ball to a place where the receiver would be.  

I ask this because I assumed it was the first but the news article about him returning to practice shows him taking a snap with an OL in front.  That doesn't mean there is a defense on the field, but it makes me curious.  

My understanding of throwing vs air means no defense on the field.    It's just the offense running around, but no pass rush, and no linebackers or defensive backs to disrupt things.   Just the offense by themselves.

My concern about the day off is that I expected Luck to be past that point by now.    I know he did it in 2016 and perhaps some in 2015, but he had not had shoulder surgery then.     Since he's had that now I was hoping for more improvement by this date.

My main concern at this point is that Luck appears to be further away from playing than I think most of us have anticipated.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I expect the Texans to come back down to earth KC this week, Jags probably lose to PIT, & Titans are playing MIA, but likely without Mariota. If we can eek out a W vs SF, & they all lose, it’d be a 4-way tie for first place.

Best division in football!

It is most certainly more competitive

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My understanding of throwing vs air means no defense on the field.    It's just the offense running around, but no pass rush, and no linebackers or defensive backs to disrupt things.   Just the offense by themselves.

My concern about the day off is that I expected Luck to be past that point by now.    I know he did it in 2016 and perhaps some in 2015, but he had not had shoulder surgery then.     Since he's had that now I was hoping for more improvement by this date.

My main concern at this point is that Luck appears to be further away from playing than I think most of us have anticipated.

I think the progressions is what is new.? Or, maybe he was throwing progressions before, but perhaps not as far?

This may be just an extension, or next step to what he was doing before.  Just a guess.  I am just happy to see him practicing with the team again.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The Colts were the ones who released the video though. Are the people who cover the team internally subject to the same access? I am asking...I have no idea. 

For me to get excited, I would expect to at least see him throwing to a couple of WRs running routes...with a bit of distance and velocity. But that's just my opinion.

I didn't see any video of any of our QBs throwing to WRs during practice, haven't really seen that since training camp now that I think about it. I think that's pretty standard honestly, in other words, we likely won't see Luck throwing the ball to TY Hilton until it happens in an actual game.

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

True but a 3 week timeline isn't that long.  Puts us about mid-season right??

Still it is longer than anyone thought. If we fall to 1:4 this Sunday, the season is over for us. And we will have to play some of our conference-rivals without Luck. 3 weeks look terrible long...

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Listen to his interview, he said he was throwing routes to WRs and TEs today. What you saw on video was warmups.

13 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I am still of the opinion that Luck is not coming back this year and that was the plan all along.

hey, there are still people who are of the opinion that the earth is flat so....free world...believe what you want :thmup:

I’m just going to enjoy watching our young secondary develop this year and enjoy the process as Ballard develops and builds the line backing core and offensive line through the draft and FA next year.  This team was in absolute shambles due to years of neglect.  In 1 short year, Ballard has shown he can improve different positional units dramatically (secondary and dline).  Next year, I fully expect him to put an offensive line in front of Luck that will make Andrew sleep much better at night.  We have Mewhort and Costanzo, that’s it, playing at an average level.  Everyone else not so much.  Who knows when Kelly will be back and how long it will take him to return to form.  Until Chud figures out a way to design plays that get the ball out of Lucks hand quickly, putting him behind that line so soon after surgery will be suicide.   Unless the line starts improving in pass protection, I fear for the longevity of Lucks career.  If they start turning things around, I will feel much better about Lucks chances of not getting reinjured.  That is assuming he stops playing like Rambo and stops holding on to the ball so long.  Chud needs to design more of a short passing game by utilizing TEs and RBs instead of long patterns that take forever to develop.