Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck perhaps a LONG way off....

NewColtsFan

Up front,  I'd like to apologize....    I don't mean to dump a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm for Luck's return.

This post is entirely MY OPINION.       Allow me to explain how I came to this conclusion....

Two things.....

First,  here is Luck's practice schedule for this week....   this comes right from Pagano today.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said QB Andrew Luck will practice today.  Luck warm up with the quarterbacks, then do individual work with quarterbacks, then do routes vs. air.  Luck won't practice Thursday and then will practice again on Friday.     

NOTE:    Luck is doing very little work and they've already decided he's NOT practicing tomorrow (Thursday)   and then he'll practice on Friday.  Likely the same practice Friday that he's doing on Wednesday.    I believe that was the plan.    Building up to doing the same practice in back to back days.    Luck is not there yet.

Luck is not even ready to practice back-to-back days when he's doing almost nothing.     And this is after corrective surgery.     Not good.

Second,  on my phone, is the mid-day update where Bob Lamey interviews Chris Ballard today.      Ballard says they're going to bring Andrew back "slowly."    Also,  Ballard says "in time"  they will work Luck in to doing more and more in practice.    So,  Ballard is using words like "slowly" and "in time" to describe Luck's practice routine.    That tells me he's not a week or two away.     It tell me the timeline could be longer.      Perhaps much longer.

NOTE:    For some odd reason,  the Ballard interview is on my phone off of Colts.com,  but I couldn't find it on-line from my computer when I started to write this post.      If it's now posted on the website -- great.     Take a listen.    Ballard starts talking about 1:35 into the piece which is roughly 2:30 long.

UPDATE:    Lamy interviewed Ballard on Monday.   Here is the FULL interview.    If you want to listen to the whole thing,  it's 11:40.    But Ballard talking about Luck is at the 11:00 mark and runs about 35 seconds or so.     So you CAN hear the sound bite about Andrew.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Will-Return-To-Practice-This-Week/f02fb6f5-8ff1-4851-81bb-ba5582fa2083

I'm making this post so people here can adjust their expectations.     Hey,  I hope I'm wrong!    I know people here are targeting the Tennessee game on the 16th or the J'Ville game on the 22nd....    but we might not get that lucky.   (Pun not intended)

Hope you won't kill the messenger....     maybe I'm wrong.     Let's hope so....            :peek:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Up front,  I'd like to apologize....    I don't mean to dump a buck of cold water on the enthusiasm for Luck's return.

This post is entirely MY OPINION.       Allow me to explain how I came to this conclusion....

Two things.....

First,  here is Luck's practice schedule for this week....   this comes right from Pagano today.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said QB Andrew Luck will practice today.  Luck warm up with the quarterbacks, then do individual work with quarterbacks, then do routes vs. air.  Luck won't practice Thursday and then will practice again on Friday.     

NOTE:    Luck is doing very little work and they've already decided he's NOT practicing tomorrow (Thursday)   and then he'll practice on Friday.  Likely the same practice Friday that he's doing on Wednesday.    I believe that was the plan.    Building up to doing the same practice in back to back days.    Luck is not there yet.

Luck is not even ready to practice back-to-back days when he's doing almost nothing.     And this is after corrective surgery.     Not good.

Second,  on my phone, is the mid-day update where Bob Lamey interviews Chris Ballard today.      Ballard says they're going to bring Andrew back "slowly."    Also,  Ballard says "in time"  they will work Luck in to doing more and more in practice.    So,  Ballard is using words like "slowly" and "in time" to describe Luck's practice routine.    That tells me he's not a week or two away.     It tell me the timeline could be longer.      Perhaps much longer.

NOTE:    For some odd reason,  the Ballard interview is on my phone off of Colts.com,  but I couldn't find it on-line from my computer when I started to write this post.      If it's now posted on the website -- great.     Take a listen.    Ballard starts talking about 1:35 into the piece which is roughly 2:30 long.

I'm making this post so people here can adjust their expectations.     Hey,  I hope I'm wrong!    I know people here are targeting the Tennessee game on the 16th or the J'Ville game on the 22nd....    but we might not get that lucky.   (Pun not intended)

All I'll say is, good post, but I hope your wrong as far as Luck being a LONG ways away.  My personal opinion is he'll return sometime as early as the Jags game and as late as the Texans game.  It's all a waiting game now.  At least he's practicing again that's a step in the right direction. 

I mean...we couldve said the same exact thing for the 2016 season as he was coming back from a shoulder injury, broken ribs, and a ruptured kidney...

the shoulder had been bothering him in the 2016 season too and people forget that...

but we all saw that he put up top 5 QB numbers as a result. Luck is a warrior man...and he probably only took more time off as a precaution which is even better..

2 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

I mean...we couldve said the same exact thing for the 2016 season as he was coming back from a shoulder injury, broken ribs, and a ruptured kidney...

the shoulder had been bothering him in the 2016 season too and people forget that...

but we all saw that he put up top 5 QB numbers as a result. Luck is a warrior man...and he probably only took more time off as a precaution which is even better..

Luck hurt the shoulder in the 2015 season.    And again in the 2016 season.

You couldn't have said the same thing,  because there was no surgery on the shoulder.

We are in a new situation here.   

I'm thinking he comes back week 10 and plays against the Steelers. Then he has a bye week to rest up a bit more and evaluate how his shoulder responded to a live game.

He may be ready to go a bit earlier, but this is the safest approach and with how cautious he and the organization has been, this seems reasonable.

Yeah, I think some of us had been beating this drum for a while now, a 3-4 week timeline.

He'll practice/rehab/practice this week, possibly start taking very minimal reps away from Brissett next week/might even rehab again next week one day, and only after next week do I think we could possibly start seeing Luck split reps with Brissett.

Just guessing though.

I mean we already knew he'd need at least 3-4 weeks of practice time once he started and Ballard has said before that they won't play him until he can practice everyday without pain. I think he'll be back by the Steelers game at the absolute latest. To me personally, I'm not going to get worked up if the Colts go in the tank this year. The overall record does not concern me at this point. It's can Luck get back and play and look like his old self again so we can go into 2018 full bore.

51 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

All I'll say is, good post, but I hope your wrong as far as Luck being a LONG ways away.  My personal opinion is he'll return sometime as early as the Jags game and as late as the Texans game.  It's all a waiting game now.  At least he's practicing again that's a step in the right direction. 

If he is a long ways off no point in putting him out there this season cause we will be out of it soon anyway if he isn't back cause if we don't start winning some games then if he does return like after week 8 then every game he would then play is a must win.

I agree. I think the Colts knew this is how the process would go. This was going to be a down year anyway so let Luck heal and just ease him back slowly. If he's playing by the last quarter of the season then thats great. The taking him off PUP and this so called "practice" now is nothing more then attempts to keep fan interest in my opinion. Just like Irsay saying he would be ready to start the season when clearly that was never realistic.

1 minute ago, J@son said:

it is absurd for hundreds of reasons that have been explained ad nauseam over the past several months. 

QFT

I don't understand this narrative that Luck shouldn't come back unless the team is still in the hunt and we can somehow guarantee he won't get hurt again. It's football, players get hurt, period. They are clearly exercising an abundance of caution in bringing him back, so we can be certain that he won't be back on the field until he's 100%. And when he's 100%, he should play, period.

Also, he'd be better off playing at the end of the season with reduced expectations anyways, not coming back after an entire year off.

The entire line of argument is inane.

I think they had him suit up and toss a few passes for the media and the fans to see and when the media left and the cameras were off he fell to the ground writhing in pain.   

Food and beer sales are down so they had to something, right?  Ha!

I agree that it's ridiculous to think about holding Luck out once he's 100% ready to go.

The only thing I will say though, if he comes back and even remotely dings that shoulder up again this season then I think they're going to be really cautious with him. Like if he comes back, tweaks the shoulder after a big hit, I wouldn't be surprised if they shut him back down.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Up front,  I'd like to apologize....    I don't mean to dump a buck of cold water on the enthusiasm for Luck's return.

Two things.....

UPDATE:    Lamy interviewed Ballard on Monday.   Here is the FULL interview.    If you want to listen to the whole thing,  it's 11:40.    But Ballard talking about Luck is at the 11:00 mark and runs about 35 seconds or so.     So you CAN hear the sound bite about Andrew.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Will-Return-To-Practice-This-Week/f02fb6f5-8ff1-4851-81bb-ba5582fa2083

Hope you won't kill the messenger....     maybe I'm wrong.     Let's hope so....            :peek:

Well, your opinion has a bunch inaccuracy. 

39 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If he is a long ways off no point in putting him out there this season cause we will be out of it soon anyway if he isn't back cause if we don't start winning some games then if he does return like after week 8 then every game he would then play is a must win.

Some fans may agree with you but if he's 100% and released by Doctors, he's going to play regardless of their record.  They more than likely wouldn't be eliminated from playoff contention until the last few weeks of the season because the division is so wide open(hypothetically anyways).  I am crossing my fingers he comes back for the Jags game but the Bengals or Texans might be more realistic.  We'll see. 

31 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I don't really believe what he is doing can be called practice.  

31 minutes ago, Mister P said:

I agree Dingus, He isn't practicing.

Working with the QBs, doing individual work and throwing routes is practicing.  Have you two ever played a sport?  I only ask because you don't seem to understand what constitutes practice.

21 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I think they had him suit up and toss a few passes for the media and the fans to see and when the media left and the cameras were off he fell to the ground writhing in pain.   

Food and beer sales are down so they had to something, right?  Ha!

Note...I am only laughing at how ridiculous that would be...not Luck still being hurt.

40 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No its not say he comes back for week 10 and we have a losing record and we get thumped by the steelers again whats the point in having him out there for meaningless games and possibly getting him hurt again.

That's your personal opinion though.  The Colts already said he's going to play once he's able too.  Doesn't matter if it's week 6 or week 13, regardless of the record.  Could they be eliminated from playoff contention when he comes back?  Sure it's possible but not likely.  When he's healthy, he gives them the best chance to succeed.  He's also paid to play when healthy. 

7 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Working with the QBs, doing individual work and throwing routes is practicing.  Have you two ever played a sport?  I only ask because you don't seem to understand what constitutes practice.

I'm sorry.  All I saw was some soft tossing back and forth - from a stationary position.  And no, I've never "played a sport" - I've spent my life of 60+ years as a keyboard warrior.  How about you?