Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hankins visited Colts today (merge)

bertjones7

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, gspdx said:

The teams that tend to be the most successful build through the draft and supplement with FAs.  We aren't at a point where we can supplement with FAs.  A few years ago everyone - including players - thought that was where we were so guys were willing to sign with the Colts.  

Ballard is right in not jumping on any guy that looks like he might help.  He also said the guy has to fit into the locker room too.  If a guy is overpaid and doesn't produce or has a bad attitude he can do a lot more damage than just a cap hit.

This will not happen over night.

the LaRon Landry effect

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We either didn't like the player,  or we didn't like what they were asking for......

Ballard is throwing Irsay's money around like nickels are man hole covers. Fans better get used to players visiting and leaving without a contract. This almost never happened with Grigson .. for better or worse it's no longer the case.  All this talk like "why did we bring him in if we were not going to sign him" boarders stupidity. Obviously the Colts were willing to go a little higher than the Giants and Hankins and agent didn't think it was enough to sign. Pretty simple stuff IMO.

12 hours ago, J@son said:

Its called leverage ...a bargaining chip. How many teams did Hightower visit before re-signing with the pats? this kind of thing happens all...the...time so no, tmoney theres nothinf weird about it and Va you are simply wrong

No you just don't get it....who is going to visit a team and they don't want to sign there? Makes zero sense.....he could've went to cleveland if he wanted more money they have a bigger cap space than us but obviously that's not what he wants because he didn't even go visit them

Maybe he doesn't like TC, and had never been to Indy before.

Nice little trip while he's got extra time on his hands.

Hold out the first couple preseason games, then sign with the Giants and he's all good.

If someone wows him along the way, great.

Just a thought.

41 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

No you just don't get it....who is going to visit a team and they don't want to sign there? Makes zero sense.....he could've went to cleveland if he wanted more money they have a bigger cap space than us but obviously that's not what he wants because he didn't even go visit them

Oh, so i'm assuming you can prove that cleveland reached out to him and he declined?

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have no idea that CB "crapped the bed with this one."    

That's just your hot-headed opinion based on nothing.

You don't know the details,  you have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

Clearly Ballard and Irsay don't think Hankins is worth overpaying.    

The Colts were never going to fix all their problems in one off-season.    Any reasonable person would be able to see that.

The Colts have decided not to overpay a guy who they don't see as a difference maker.

All you're doing is setting yourself up for disappointment......

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't have a problem with the price,  if he's clearly worth it.      And by the looks of things,  all 32 NFL GM's have voted and NONE OF THEM think Hankins is worth the money.      The free market has spoken for a month and Hankins is still without a job.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Every time you wrote "Pay Hankins $8 Mill a year, that's what he's worth"   you were encouraging the Colts to over-pay.      The market says he's not worth that.     Not a single NFL team has offered him that.     You just thought it was a reasonable number.     So you decided that you were right and Ballard was wrong.

download (49).jpg

19 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What a Surprise. The NFL's version of the Miami Marlins won't pay up to sign a above average player.

Why do the colts bother wasting their time along with the players time?

Soon lots of players won't even bother meeting with Ballard because they doubt they will get $ they are looking for.

Indy isn't the most attractive place to play. The colts need to over pay to sign players NOT  be thrifty.

19 hours ago, Tmoney said:

So disappointed in CB with this one. We get it you dont want to over spend or get trapped in long term contracts, but for F sakes man you dont build your castle with sticks and mud!!! Stop penny saving and nickle and diming and improve this dam roster. Who knows what FA is going to look like next year, who knows who we could even bring in for a visit. We had a chance to sign one of the better FAs for a more then reasonable deal I'm sure but CBs too worried about not repeating Ryan Grigsons mistakes. Terrible NT class in the draft, this will be a huge problem next year. God another year of David Parry getting punked hahaha

18 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And the Ballard apologists rush to defend him yet again.

Yes maybe he'll turn the team around eventually but it will be DESPITE this joke of an offseason.  He better knock the draft out of the freakin park,

You guys feel better now?  How about next time you wait a day or two to see how things play out before needlessly vomiting your disappointment all over the forum.  :thmup:

BTW, Ballard hasn't even been here long enough to have apologists yet...good grief. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Player wants to sign with Team A, but Team A isn't offering the kind of money the player wants.  He then takes visits with other teams that he may or may not have any serious interest in signing with so he'll get some higher offers that he can take back to Team A hoping they'll match.  Happens almost every single offseason.  So I'm not the one that doesn't get it.

As I have stated for many weeks now.  That dude never had much intention of leaving the Giants. He sat on that offer from the Giants waiting on somebody to meet their demands and like NCF stated the entire market balked at the pricing. Ballard would have had to break the bank to get him here.  The offer would have had to be substantially better and I knew Ballard wouldn't be the one to do that.    I'm cool with it.

35 minutes ago, J@son said:

Player wants to sign with Team A, but Team A isn't offering the kind of money the player wants.  He then takes visits with other teams that he may or may not have any serious interest in signing with so he'll get some higher offers that he can take back to Team A hoping they'll match.  Happens almost every single offseason.  So I'm not the one that doesn't get it.

Not necessarily true....marshawn lynch might be coming out of retirement to play for the raiders why??? Because that's where he WANTS to be it isn't always because of money....kevin durant could've made more money with OKC instead took less money to play with a team he wants to play with

9 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Not necessarily true....marshawn lynch might be coming out of retirement to play for the raiders why??? Because that's where he WANTS to be it isn't always because of money....kevin durant could've made more money with OKC instead took less money to play with a team he wants to play with

no one ever said that money was always the deciding factor.  for some players it is...others not so much.

16 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Exactly. I think the giants are probably offering around 3 yr/21 million. We probably offered something similar. If we were gonna give big money to a NT. We would have given it to Poe. 

I stand corrected lol. we just gave him a 3 yr 30 million dollar deal with 15 million guaranteed and he took it, well the bright side our DLine is much more improved now lol.  

20 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And the Ballard apologists rush to defend him yet again.

Yes maybe he'll turn the team around eventually but it will be DESPITE this joke of an offseason.  He better knock the draft out of the freakin park,

Looks like Ballard just served you up with some crow there big guy. :console:

3 hours ago, J@son said:

You guys feel better now?  How about next time you wait a day or two to see how things play out before needlessly vomiting your disappointment all over the forum.  :thmup:

BTW, Ballard hasn't even been here long enough to have apologists yet...good grief. 

Hey I'll admit when I'm a drama queen. I'll take all the S talk I get IDC we got him!!!! 

Every time you wrote "Pay Hankins $8 Mill a year, that's what he's worth"   you were encouraging the Colts to over-pay.      The market says he's not worth that.     Not a single NFL team has offered him that.     You just thought it was a reasonable number.     So you decided that you were right and Ballard was wrong.

Well were debating on personal opinions now. I dont think 8 mil is over paying and you did. We paying him around 10 so you really must not like that. Me, I don't mind it at all 

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Well were debating on personal opinions now. I dont think 8 mil is over paying and you did. We paying him around 10 so you really must not like that. Me, I don't mind it at all 

I have no problem with that.      My only real point was that Ballard did not want to do a deal that he thought was bad for the franchise,  and I supported that.      You didn't.

I didn't bring up $8 Mill,  you did.    So, I argued based on that being the reference point.    That's all.

All I wanted was for Ballard to do a deal that he liked.     And I think he clearly did.     And I've posted this hours ago in this very thread.

I think both sides made a compromise deal.    We paid  a few million more per year,   and Hankins gave in on the number of years.       The end result is a 3-year deal,  and not 4 or 5 years.     And 30 Million.     Win-win for both sides.     So,  I'm very happy.      I like deals like that.

I supported Ballard.     I supported him bringing Hankins in for a visit,  and I supported him when Hankins walked out the building without a deal.    And I think that led to a compromise,  so I'm very pleased.

I hope you are too.....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no problem with that.      My only real point was that Ballard did not want to do a deal that he thought was bad for the franchise,  and I supported that.      You didn't.

I didn't bring up $8 Mill,  you did.    So, I argued based on that being the reference point.    That's all.

All I wanted was for Ballard to do a deal that he liked.     And I think he clearly did.     And I've posted this hours ago in this very thread.

I think both sides made a compromise deal.    We paid  a few million more per year,   and Hankins gave in on the number of years.       The end result is a 3-year deal,  and not 4 or 5 years.     And 30 Million.     Win-win for both sides.     So,  I'm very happy.      I like deals like that.

I supported Ballard.     I supported him bringing Hankins in for a visit,  and I supported him when Hankins walked out the building without a deal.    And I think that led to a compromise,  so I'm very pleased.

I hope you are too.....

I am very very very happy. I was disappointed when he left and posted things that I realize make me look like a drama queen. What argument where you making then, seemed to me like you didn't think he was worth 8 mil. Either way I'm just happy as can be, tickled pink

6 hours ago, Deadpool said:

I stand corrected lol. we just gave him a 3 yr 30 million dollar deal with 15 million guaranteed and he took it, well the bright side our DLine is much more improved now lol.  

Yeah. Lol I'm happy we signed him. I just wasn't convinced Ballard would shell that much money out to get him. Our D is gonna look a lot better next year if we get a top corner and ILB in this draft 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Yeah. Lol I'm happy we signed him. I just wasn't convinced Ballard would shell that much money out to get him. Our D is gonna look a lot better next year if we get a top corner and ILB in this draft 

How would they get a top corner and ilb in the same draft?

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

I am very very very happy. I was disappointed when he left and posted things that I realize make me look like a drama queen. What argument where you making then, seemed to me like you didn't think he was worth 8 mil. Either way I'm just happy as can be, tickled pink

Great!     Glad you're happy!     Really!

I'd think the off-season has gone as good as one could hope for.     We clear got better at every spot on defense except the secondary and the secondary is a strength of this draft.      We need more pass rush too.    There's an old saying that you can never have enough pass rush,  and I believe that too.

But I think the majority of our draft picks will still go to the defense.     We want to get younger, faster,  more skilled on that side of the ball.     This draft can do that....

This is a really good day for Colts Nation!         :colts:

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

Ballard is throwing Irsay's money around like nickels are man hole covers. Fans better get used to players visiting and leaving without a contract. This almost never happened with Grigson .. for better or worse it's no longer the case.  All this talk like "why did we bring him in if we were not going to sign him" boarders stupidity. Obviously the Colts were willing to go a little higher than the Giants and Hankins and agent didn't think it was enough to sign. Pretty simple stuff IMO.

I think it's safe to say it was for the worse lol

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great!     Glad you're happy!     Really!

I'd think the off-season has gone as good as one could hope for.     We clear got better at every spot on defense except the secondary and the secondary is a strength of this draft.      We need more pass rush too.    There's an old saying that you can never have enough pass rush,  and I believe that too.

But I think the majority of our draft picks will still go to the defense.     We want to get younger, faster,  more skilled on that side of the ball.     This draft can do that....

This is a really good day for Colts Nation!         :colts:

Absolutely brother!! Now its draft time

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,  most all of us were wrong.     And I'm happy to be wrong.     If Ballard is good with this signing then I'm good.

I too was wrong, and I'm happy to admit it.  I didn't think Ballard would pull the trigger and I thought when Hankins left on Tuesday without a deal that it was done.  Glad I'm wrong.  Hankins could be a huge piece of the puzzle and negates one area of need in the draft.

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How would they get a top corner and ilb in the same draft?

Well it's very possible to get a top corner in the 2nd round this year. The CB group in this group is deep. But that's just my opinion. Or I think it's very possible we get a corner in the first and Cunningham or McMillian in the 2nd. Reddick and Foster are the only two ILB that are locks to go in the first round.