Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Butler now Signed (Updated)(Mega Merge)

AKB

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is probably wanting $7-8 mil. a year with the current CB market and they are probably willing to give him just $6 mil. a year, I think I am close in gauging his value.:dunno:

With $167 mil. salary cap, salaries are more than what we are all used to. A #1 CB costs anywhere close to $13-15 mil., a #2 about $9-12 mil. and a #3 CB 6-8 mil., IMO.

Hopefully we can get a 2 yr. $12-14 mil. contract done with Butler.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

He is probably wanting $7-8 mil. a year with the current CB market and they are probably willing to give him just $6 mil. a year, I think I am close in gauging his value.:dunno:

With $167 mil. salary cap, salaries are more than what we are all used to. A #1 CB costs anywhere close to $13-15 mil., a #2 about $9-12 mil. and a #3 CB 6-8 mil., IMO.

I think we are likely to go the draft pick route if we are forced to pay a 30 yr old sub package guy 6-8 million. I realize the cap keeps going up but I can also see Ballards rationale to just replace through the draft...especially this one that should be deep in the second and third rd. 

And he he may come back after figuring out his market isn't as good as he thinks.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm hoping we can re-sign him to a 2 year deal.  Love what he brings from the nickel.

Agree. He seems very comfortable in the nickel role for sure, plus he's still got some football in him. Hopefully Ballard can make something happen. 

I hope he doesn't plan on playing safety to finish out the rest of his career.

He's a very solid nickel corner and one of the best out there right now.

Would love him back on a two year, maybe $10 million deal.

He's a slot corner.. who wants to be paid higher. A few years ago we paid Greg Toler 4 years $16 million to be our #2.

1 hour ago, Rick_Grimes said:

He's a slot corner.. who wants to be paid higher. A few years ago we paid Greg Toler 4 years $16 million to be our #2.

That is like a decade ago in salary cap terms.

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

If we pay Butler 6-8 million a year I will flip. I like butler. Good guy and good player. But he is not worth that amount of money. I'm thinking he will get a 2 yr/10 million dollar contract from a team that values the slot! He won't touch any more than 6 in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

We really need to find someone to be our #2

I like Melvin for depth, but Butler was our slot stud.

If he walks, it's gonna be tough to fill the void. And I think Vontae is entering the final year of his contract.

Colts could be looking CB at 15.

Humphrey, Sidney Jones, Jalen Tabor, and Lattimore are the top 4 corners in the draft. One of them will be available when we draft. Maybe two of them. If we could get Humphrey or Lattimore somehow I would flip. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

If we pay Butler 6-8 million a year I will flip. I like butler. Good guy and good player. But he is not worth that amount of money. I'm thinking he will get a 2 yr/10 million dollar contract from a team that values the slot! He won't touch any more than 6 in my opinion. 

Butler thinks he is more valuable to us than others because he was asked to play free safety. He may very well be but he should understand he is a slot CB first, free safety in work next, in work the key words.

Just now, chad72 said:

Butler thinks he is more valuable to us than others because he was asked to play free safety. He may very well be but he should understand he is a slot CB first, free safety in work next, in work the key words.

He played average at safety I think. We could sign a safety than butler for 6/7 million. TJ McDonald, move Revis to safety, Ladarius Webb are all options. 

51 minutes ago, Shive said:

JGYSRXf.gif

RE-SIGN HIM ALREADY

Chances are the Bears give him the same money but because his pride is butt hurt, he would rather take it from Da Bears than us.

I do wonder how Ballard approaches them and if he tells them to let him know what he is getting in the market to see if he can match as opposed to taking an approach stating that "this is the best we can do and good luck finding more than that". 

6 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

We signed Toler for 3 years $14,250,000.
 I will be shocked if Butler gets more than $4M per. We will see.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

As they are learning, practically everyone on this defense is expendable.  You have the 31st ranked secondary and the 32nd ranked front seven.  If you lose someone, what's the worst that could happen?

Geathers and Davis are both above average. Everybody else in our secondary is below average. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

As they are learning, practically everyone on this defense is expendable.  You have the 31st ranked secondary and the 32nd ranked front seven.  If you lose someone, what's the worst that could happen?

That's my logic as well. We aren't losing anything that will truly hurt us long term.

We have a terrible defense if you take out all the emotion of it being our favorite team. 

Long term, this needed to be done. 

One thing that worries me in the upcoming season is the lack of veterans. You're supposed to have a balance between newer guys and veterans. That experience from the vets help the rookies out alot.

I'd like Butler to return to the Colts as well.    And I think there is one thing that says there is still a chance of that happening.

Butler himself has NOT Tweeted out that his days with the Colts are over.     Walden has done that and he hasn't even signed with anyone.

I think (and I hope)  that we are letting Butler test the market and hopefully, when he gets an offer,  he'll give us a chance to beat it and come back to Indy.

As long as Butler hasn't said his goodbyes yet,  than I'm holding out hope he returns....

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I doubt we are even trying to bring him back he's old it's time to get youth and that's exactly what Ballard is doing

He's just 31 and he played very well last year and can play CB and safety two positions we are very thin at. We need him back

Based off his body of work as a player. He use to play a vital role for the New England Patriot if anyone remembers? His career most be taken into account. Look at the statistics. If we value him we will come to terms as meeting in the middle. If we don't value him then we'll cut our lose. 

1 hour ago, KB said:

One thing that worries me in the upcoming season is the lack of veterans. You're supposed to have a balance between newer guys and veterans. That experience from the vets help the rookies out alot.

Generally, I would agree.  Unfortunately, our vets were mostly garbage.  Counterintuitively, our vets could probably learn a thing or two from some 22-23 year olds.

20 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Hightower must want more than what the pats are willing to pay cause he is still out there.

Possibly...he has won two SBs....doubt he is interested in taking a home town discount. Also imagine his agent is wise to how Bill discards players on a whim. Imagine the language and structure is a bigger deal than overall dollars. If I'm Hightower I want to know I have stability and sign that contract to set me for life. I wouldn't blame him for taking his time and getting his best offer.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:39 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I'd like Butler to return to the Colts as well.    And I think there is one thing that says there is still a chance of that happening.

Butler himself has NOT Tweeted out that his days with the Colts are over.     Walden has done that and he hasn't even signed with anyone.

I think (and I hope)  that we are letting Butler test the market and hopefully, when he gets an offer,  he'll give us a chance to beat it and come back to Indy.

As long as Butler hasn't said his goodbyes yet,  than I'm holding out hope he returns....

Butler has done quite the opposite. The guys like Reggie that have tweeted about us needing to resign Butler, he's been re-tweeting. It seems that he really would like to stay and I really hope he does get resigned.

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 5:11 PM, CR91 said:

id be upset if we cant get him back. we're already thin at both CB and safety and he can play both

New GM owes him no loyalty and it's a deep draft at CB. Can easily take Teez Tabor or Tre'Davious White at 15 then get another in the 4th or 5th 

41 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

If we can't retain him FS becomes a huge need this year. 

You move forward with the young guys. I get a lot of folks love Butler and all these other players, but Ballard has made it clear he wants to be younger. I'd be shocked if anyone over 28 is signed to this team this off-season. Idk how old the punter is we signed, but everyone else is under 28 we signed 

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

You move forward with the young guys. I get a lot of folks love Butler and all these other players, but Ballard has made it clear he wants to be younger. I'd be shocked if anyone over 28 is signed to this team this off-season. Idk how old the punter is we signed, but everyone else is under 28 we signed 

What young FS do we have? Butler is a solid ball-hawking safety who still has a year or two of prime. That being said if he walks, I'd like to see a true FS in the first 3 rounds. TJ Green is not a true FS, he'd be better used as a match up nickel corner. Put him on athletic TEs or big WRs

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

New GM owes him no loyalty and it's a deep draft at CB. Can easily take Teez Tabor or Tre'Davious White at 15 then get another in the 4th or 5th 

It's not about loyalty. It's about Butler being able to play two positions we're very thin at