Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Thornton take over Mewhorts spot until hes back?

RockThatBlue

Possibly. I believe Thornton played his best at LG.

I am more intrigued with Haeg at LG though. 

As Crazy as it sounds, we could be playing three rookies on the OL (together) at some point this season. Reitz has a history of being injured so Clark should see some action at RT, as the season moves along. Kelly is already the starting center. Haeg is a possible replacement for Mewhort.

It would not surprise me for our lineup to eventually become:

AC, Haeg, Kelly, Good, Clark

I know the probability of this happening isn't that great. But it would be amazing if our offensive line actually benefited from Mewhorts injury and he lost his starting role to Haeg. I feel like Mewhort doesn't really fit the new blocking scheme. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

As Crazy as it sounds, we could be playing three rookies on the OL (together) at some point this season. Reitz has a history of being injured so Clark should see some action at RT, as the season moves along. Kelly is already the starting center. Haeg is a possible replacement for Mewhort.

I think Haeg is going to be the future at RT. He may keep LG warm but if Reitz goes down I think Haeg is first choice. I do agree Mewhort is far from irreplaceable. 

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I know the probability of this happening isn't that great. But it would be amazing if our offensive line actually benefited from Mewhorts injury and he lost his starting role to Haeg. I feel like Mewhort doesn't really fit the new blocking scheme. 

You hope that they bench the one guy that didn't give up a single sack last year in favor of a completely unproven rookie?

8 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

As far as I can tell, Mewhort is still our best blocker.  

Castanzo hasn't been too impressive as of recent.  

I doubt anyone beats him out.  Best case scenario is that we get a better judge of what we have at backup. 

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You hope that they bench the one guy that didn't give up a single sack last year in favor of a completely unproven rookie?

Well i believe he correctly sees that Haig is considerably more athletic than Mewie, which could allow him to more successfully perform the more versatile skills that a line coach and O-coordinator might really like in their game plan.  Haig does seem to lack some strength now, and he has no experience.
  The news Is ugly for Luck.  He looks dazed to me. He does not like thinking fast post snap and throwing quickly. Nope!

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think Haeg is going to be the future at RT. He may keep LG warm but if Reitz goes down I think Haeg is first choice. I do agree Mewhort is far from irreplaceable. 

^^^^This.

Haeg has the feet for a tackle but not the strength inside for a guard. Plus, with the speed of our WRs, and more 3 step and quick releases involved for screen plays, you need those tackle like feet to go out on screens, IMO.

I'd move Reitz to LG where he was communicating well with Castanzo early on a year or two ago, and put Haeg at RT. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Thornton just got a second (or fifteenth) chance to prove himself. 

I was talking about this in another thread but I disagree.  I don't think Good has been good enough in the preseason to warrant being the starting guard.  I think he has shown enough to make the team and be the primary back-up but he's not ready for full time starter yet.  And I'm basing that on all three preseason games so far, not just the Eagles game.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I was talking about this in another thread but I disagree.  I don't think Good has been good enough in the preseason to warrant being the starting guard.  I think he has shown enough to make the team and be the primary back-up but he's not ready for full time starter yet.  And I'm basing that on all three preseason games so far, not just the Eagles game.

I never said Good was better, but at least he's available. 

The problem with Thornton is, he has already showed enough tape to be properly evaluated. Thornton is too inconsistent, and gets injured way too often. He plays well half the time he's in. The other half of his time with this team, he's hurt. 

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well there we have a difference of opinion and that's okay.  That's why we are here. I don't think there is anyone on the team that can supplant him and he is also switching positions this year.  If someone is better they would be starting.  The more he plays the better he is going to become.  I think he could be our starting RG for a very long time and a good one at that.

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I never said Good was better, but at least he's available. 

The problem with Thornton is, he has already showed enough tape to be properly evaluated. Thornton is too inconsistent, and gets injured way too often. He plays well half the time he's in. The other half of his time with this team, he's hurt. 

Dungy always said that the most important ability is availability.  Thornton does have injury problems and he has had conditioning problems.  And while I think Good has the tools to be the starting RG in the future, he's not there yet and when Thornton is healthy he is the better option at RG.

But your post about Thornton getting his fifteenth chance because of the Mewhort injury is the only thing I was commenting on... I don't think Mewhort's injury has any affect on Thornton because I don't think Good has done well enough to take Thornton's spot yet.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well there we have a difference of opinion and that's okay.  That's why we are here. I don't think there is anyone on the team that can supplant him and he is also switching positions this year.  If someone is better they would be starting.  The more he plays the better he is going to become.  I think he could be our starting RG for a very long time and a good one at that.

I think he could be as well.  I just don't think he's ready to start being that this year.  I have him graded out at about 75-76% so far this preason... not bad for trying a new position but not good enough to be considered starting level yet.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Dungy always said that the most important ability is availability.  Thornton does have injury problems and he has had conditioning problems.  And while I think Good has the tools to be the starting RG in the future, he's not there yet and when Thornton is healthy he is the better option at RG.

But your post about Thornton getting his fifteenth chance because of the Mewhort injury is the only thing I was commenting on... I don't think Mewhort's injury has any affect on Thornton because I don't think Good has done well enough to take Thornton's spot yet.

I agree with you on availability being the best ability. 

I disagree that Thornton is a better option.

I think Thornton would be okay on the left side.  I do believe he started out his career on the left side before being moved to the right side.  Thornton isn't bad when healthy.  Should be available for the Lions game .     Doesn't hurt to see what else is on the street though.  Just don't think there will be much out there.

2 hours ago, Archangel said:

Haeg is not ready has a lingering ankle injury IMO It will be AC Blythe Kelly Goode Clark Reitz as backup if healthy due to his ability to play all postions 

I don't think Clark has really shown anything to prove he should start over Reitz. Also a very similar situation with Blythe at lg. Sounds like Harrison has the inside track at that spot for the time being. Clark and Blythe might be good players down the road, but they are not ready as of yet. Throwing them into the fire when we don't have to isn't going to do them or Luck any favors. 

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Based on a headline on here it looks like Harrison is the man to replace Mewhort. 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Jonotthan-Harrison-Ready-To-Step-In-At-Left-Guard/7a067c2e-f33f-4a62-9f50-24b6ea3c87de

I think Harrison looked OK at guard. Granted, he was going up against mostly 3rd and 4th string guys. 

On 8/28/2016 at 11:23 PM, BlueShoe said:

Goode is basically a rookie also gonna be some. Growing pains 

First the announcers on the pre-season game tonight seemed pretty optimistic that Mewhort COULD be back week one.  If he is that would be awesome news but I still think that's unlikely.

Let's just assume he wont be for the sake of this thread.  I don't know if Thornton will start for Mewhort (has to get healthy himself first) but I think it will save Thornton's roster spot until Mewhort is healthy. 

On August 29, 2016 at 7:45 AM, CR91 said:

Well I doubt Thornton or haeg will be ready for the opener which by default leaves "CRINGING" harrison. An idea is maybe move reitz to guard and have Clark start at RT

That is an idea.  Not a good one but it is an idea.

Did you see the Eagles game?  The Colts can simply not play Clark right now.  Not in a game that matters.  He has 2017 written all over him.

7 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That is an idea.  Not a good one but it is an idea.

Did you see the Eagles game?  The Colts can simply not play Clark right now.  Not in a game that matters.  He has 2017 written all over him.

You rather see Harrison play?

On 8/29/2016 at 9:57 AM, richard pallo said:

There is a whole lot of room for technique improvement on our O-line - everyone. I agree and think Good will be a stellar guard for us once he settles into the position. While I think he can play tackle if absolutely necessary, the guys that are 6'-6" and taller and 320+ lbs have an advantage IF they can match Good's strength and can master the techniques. Big IF.

It takes time to learn proper technique. I know this first hand ...

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You rather see Harrison play?

Did you see the Eagles game?  The fact that you propose this I am guessing not.  To answer your question - yes, Harrison is infinitely more ready to play than Clark is.  And it is not even close.

Clark is simply not ready.  This was info that was known long ago when they drafted him.  

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Did you see the Eagles game?  The fact that you propose this I am guessing not.  To answer your question - yes, Harrison is infinitely more ready to play than Clark is.  And it is not even close.

Clark is simply not ready.  This was info that was known long ago when they drafted him.  

I did watch and I've watched Harrison the last two years as well. The lesser of the go evils is def Clark. You judging him over one game is ridiculous. 

44 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I did watch and I've watched Harrison the last two years as well. The lesser of the go evils is def Clark. You judging him over one game is ridiculous. 

We shall see.  Unless they are in dire straits health wise along the o'line, I am guessing that Clark is inactive all season.  

I don't know why but I have a feeling both Mewhort and Reitz will be back for week one.  Crazy feeling I guess.  If not I think Harrison will be the LG because I don't think Thornton makes the team.  Clark, ouch, would be the RT. He is not ready so I expect a lot of Allen on the right side to help him.