Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort has a knee injury...Update: out 2-4 weeks

snkdy

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I do play poker and have a good poker face, but I'm 100% telling the truth here. So furious right now.

I'm right there with you. Sloppy play plus a significant injury out a damper on the night. About time for an adult beverage, or two. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Tolle said:

We are done again! The season hasn't started yet.

Yeah, but the difference this year is that we're prepared for it.

No way we win the Division with this OL.

I seriously wonder how quickly they pull Luck in games now, lol.  Get behind by 2 TD's and yank him.:P

Regroup next year, haha.

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Is he healthy?  Last I remember. He was banged up.  If he's healthy I'd hope they go to him although starting two rookies and a second year player at a new position in the middle of your oline is far from ideal.

the other thing they could do is move reitz to guard and start Clark at right tackle.

Clark is still pretty raw, but when your only good veteran lineman goes down, what else can you do? 

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Clark is still pretty raw, but when your only good veteran lineman goes down, what else can you do? 

AC is still healthy so let's back off the only good veteran lineman also Reitz should be back as well.  So they still have a couple of good vet linemen.

As far as what to do at left guard they have three options I think.

1.  Start Haeg and take your lumps in the middle of the line to hopefully grow for the future.

2.  Move Reitz to the left guard and start Clark but then have very little experience past the left side of the line.

3.  Start one of the other two vets, Thornton or Harrison.  

We know that the last two can or can't do I'd rather see them start one of the two rookies knowing there are going to be growing pains but see what they can do.

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He hardly signed any free agents this off-season and used the money to keep their own including AC who last time I checked played oline.

He then used half the draft picks to draft linemen.  That's not including him using a second pick on Mewhort and a third on Thornton and a fourth on Holmes.  He also signed Gosder to a big deal and one of his first moves was to sign Samson.

You can make a very strong case that a large number of those moves have not worked but the idea that he's ignored the oline to address other needs is false.  

You're making great points.  I would only counter with one thing (and not saying you're not 100% correct to be clear) but the fact that we didn't address the Oline successfully in years 2 and 3 in particular, means we have no real depth of experience to pull from.  Sure, he put all his focus on it for THIS year, but it is proving to be too little too late.  I don't think we have the money, nor is there much on the street available to upgrade, so rookies and guys like Harrison (egad) are what we have to work with.  And we have no idea how badly Haeg is injured.  He looks promising at least, so he might be our RT, with Reitz playing left Guard and Good playing RG.  If he can't go and Reitz has to move inside, we have a pair of tackles that are going to get Luck killed.   

29 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just got kicked out of Dave and Busters for beating the crap out of a guy who made fun  of me and Mewhorts injury. Apparently the guy heard about it from a notification on his cell phone and saw I was wearing my Luck jersey and starting laughing at me. Well, I can't heal Mewhort, but I sure knocked out some of his teeth and gave him a concussion. Completely worth it. Ready to abandon the season.

Wow. It sounds like a season off may be the right move.

You're making great points.  I would only counter with one thing (and not saying you're not 100% correct to be clear) but the fact that we didn't address the Oline successfully in years 2 and 3 in particular, means we have no real depth of experience to pull from.  Sure, he put all his focus on it for THIS year, but it is proving to be too little too late.  I don't think we have the money, nor is there much on the street available to upgrade, so rookies and guys like Harrison (egad) are what we have to work with.  And we have no idea how badly Haeg is injured.  He looks promising at least, so he might be our RT, with Reitz playing left Guard and Good playing RG.  If he can't go and Reitz has to move inside, we have a pair of tackles that are going to get Luck killed.   

Good points!  We are in year 5 of this thing and there are really no drafted players that we're afraid of losing in free agency.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

AC is still healthy so let's back off the only good veteran lineman also Reitz should be back as well.  So they still have a couple of good vet linemen.

1.  Start Haeg and take your lumps in the middle of the line to hopefully grow for the future.

2.  Move Reitz to the left guard and start Clark but then have very little experience past the left side of the line.

We know that the last two can or can't do I'd rather see them start one of the two rookies knowing there are going to be growing pains but see what they can do.

I would put Haeg or Thornton in at LG, depending on who can get healthy and ready to go. No thanks to Harrison and I'd be scared of Clark starting this year, but that's just my opinion.

That's my point he did address it by signing Gosder and drafting Holmes, Thornton, and Mewhort over that time.  

Yes you can 100% make the case those moves didn't work (outside of Mewhort). And that's why they are in this mess and be right but he did try.  Had those moves worked that's a whole new starting line outside of AC who doesn't need to be replaced.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We're cross posting, but I think Haeg might be a more natural Tackle and Reitz a better option to move to a new position.  They were using Haeg at Left Tackle, but I think he's a true swing tackle and perhaps between him and Clark we could cover RT and use Reitz next to Castonzo. Sure Castonzo is a veteran, but he played badly last year (and admitted it) and has looked awful this year, especially tonight against a #1 line.   

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just got kicked out of Dave and Busters for beating the crap out of a guy who made fun  of me and Mewhorts injury. Apparently the guy heard about it from a notification on his cell phone and saw I was wearing my Luck jersey and starting laughing at me. Well, I can't heal Mewhort, but I sure knocked out some of his teeth and gave him a concussion. Completely worth it. Ready to abandon the season.

Why would you get mad over an injury? Aren't you the guy who thinks the NFL is basically scripted anyway?

1 minute ago, Track Guy said:

I would put Haeg or Thornton in at LG, depending on who can get healthy and ready to go. No thanks to Harrison and I'd be scared of Clark starting this year, but that's just my opinion.

I'd rather see Haeg than Thornton, honestly I just don't think he's that good., so I'd rather see what the new kid can do.  I'll be honest none of those options are really good options.

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Good points!  We are in year 5 of this thing and there are really no drafted players that we're afraid of losing in free agency.  

Ack.. I haven't looked at the list.. but if it's true my stomach just turned a little. I can only think of Moncrief and Mewhort and that is in 2 years right?  (again, haven't looked, so no need for folks to freak if that is wrong).  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

We're cross posting, but I think Haeg might be a more natural Tackle and Reitz a better option to move to a new position.  They were using Haeg at Left Tackle, but I think he's a true swing tackle and perhaps between him and Clark we could cover RT and use Reitz next to Castonzo. Sure Castonzo is a veteran, but he played badly last year (and admitted it) and has looked awful this year, especially tonight against a #1 line.   

AC had a bad stretch last year your right and after he admitted it he got it together and had a very good second half of the season and looked like himself again.

As for tonight it was only a week ago that people were raving about the oline, including AC.  That's why it's best not to get too excited about what you see positively or negatively in a pre-season game.

You know,  I was just looking at something,  everyone knows bout our injury bug these past few years,  but one thing I'm noticing is that the big injuries, the season ending ones, seem to happen at home. Maybe we need to start looking at the field and seeing what if any effect it's having. It just seems that since the new field at LOS, we've had a ton of major injuries, including at least 3 ACLs that I can think of off top of my head. Maybe I'm just drunk, that could be it too. Thoughts? 

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

AC had a bad stretch last year your right and after he admitted it he got it together and had a very good second half of the season and looked like himself again.

As for tonight it was only a week ago that people were raving about the oline, including AC.  That's why it's best not to get too excited about what you see positively or negatively in a pre-season game.

Well I got hammered for being against our line but I get your point overall.  It's preseason, but man, you'd think we'd have a few really good run plays in an entire preseason with the starters in.  And Castonzo, on an island is playing badly.  Just go back and watch him.  Forget everything else and just watching him one on one.  Something isn't right.  

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Mewhort is our best oline he plays better than constanzo and is ranked way higher, 

No, that's not the reality....

Its a big loss but not like Costanzo would be..

Good thing we drafted so many linemen......and cuts are coming...we have time to patch here

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You know,  I was just looking at something,  everyone knows bout our injury bug these past few years,  but one thing I'm noticing is that the big injuries, the season ending ones, seem to happen at home. Maybe we need to start looking at the field and seeing what if any effect it's having. It just seems that since the new field at LOS, we've had a ton of major injuries, including at least 3 ACLs that I can think of off top of my head. Maybe I'm just drunk, that could be it too. Thoughts? 

It's a theory I haven't heard before.  I wonder if anyone keeps that sort of stat.  Like have visiting teams had a similar issue?  Did anyone see a replay of the play Mewhort got injured on?  I will try to find it when I have time, but was it a hit or did his foot get caught in the turf?  I have no idea.  

25 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

That's because they just re-signed three of them this off-season and lost another.  

I would agree the 2013 draft class was pretty much a miss and that's what's hurting right now.  From there you don't want to re-sign Mewhort, Moncrief, Dorsett, Anderson, Geathers, or Parry when their contracts are up?

42 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I usually don't freak out in preseason.... But I agree. Things got ugly. Fast! The Colts are about to be awful once again.

No, no...we weren't awful last year..

..we've got some time here to make a pickup or two.....

Well survive...Saturday night was a bad night

This is B-S. I feel like taking a sledge hammer to some s***. Now 2 of Haeg, Clark, Good, Thornton, Blythe, and Harrison has to step up and become really good guards. Not just keeping their heads above water. 2 out of that group need to become beasts this year. Why does it always have to be one of our good players that we desperately need on the field 16 games? Anderson last year. Mathis the year before. (Blame the league for that one btw) Reggie a couple years back. Davis out 3-4 games this year and now this B-S. Total B-S man.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

get help

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That's my point he did address it by signing Gosder and drafting Holmes, Thornton, and Mewhort over that time.  

Yes you can 100% make the case those moves didn't work (outside of Mewhort). And that's why they are in this mess and be right but he did try.  Had those moves worked that's a whole new starting line outside of AC who doesn't need to be replaced.  

But that has been the criticism of Grigson, a lot of his players, whether than are FA's or draft picks, have been flops.  Assessing talent is the point.  Not all picks hit for anyone, it just seems that line picks especially have been a weakness.  Perhaps the fault lies with the scouts, but someone is missing the boat. We have no idea the long term success of this year's 4 picks.  Blythe looks very raw, but he's a 7th.  Kelly really got a wake up call tonight, perhaps it will aid in his development and playing Center in the NFL is no small job.  Clark and Haeg for me are the question marks.  I am hopeful Haeg will be the steal in our draft on the line.  Anyone know what his injury is?  Perhaps Kelly and Haeg will be hits and Clark's raw talent can grow into a starting role.  Reitz is getting old, Haeg would be a great back up swing tackle prospect if he turns out to be the real deal.  But we really don't know.  Does anyone think we're going to hit the regular season with a top half O Line? How about top 2/3rds?