Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 defensive needs; but just 4 premium picks....

NewColtsFan

So......     we have a 2, 3, 4, 5.     (I know we have a 7, but I don't consider that a premium pick...)

But, IMO,  we have 5 defensive needs.    

From front to back,  we need one of everything.      A DL,  an OLB,  an ILB, a CB and a Safety.

So......     I hope we manage to trade back a small amount,  5-6 picks,  and pick up another 4.    That way, we can address all 5 defensive needs and then close out the draft with a 7th Round RB.      I'd be a very happy fan.

If we don't want to trade back in the 2nd,  maybe we trade back in the 3rd and pick up another 5.     I'd be OK with that too.    I just don't know if it's possible.

But I do want to seriously address the defense as we did last year.     We need to get younger and more skilled on that side of the ball.

18 minutes ago, John Dee said:

A guard or Spriggs in 2nd.  D rest of draft..    

This I 100% agree with. Get Spriggs or Whitehair, that will complete 80% of the starting O-Line, and get defense the rest of the draft. Trade down in the 3rd, pick up a 5th, then trade up with your two 5ths and you'll have a 3rd and two 4ths to take some defense at BPA with. 

25 minutes ago, John Dee said:

A guard or Spriggs in 2nd.  D rest of draft..    

If we go offensive line (or even offence in general) with the next pick then we're going down the route of Cleveland and Dallas. A great young o-line but picking in the top 10 of the draft next year.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

If we go offensive line (or even offence in general) with the next pick then we're going down the route of Cleveland and Dallas. A great young o-line but picking in the top 10 of the draft next year.

You could try to be fair.  Dallas did lose an elite QB.

I would love it if we could get Whitehair in the 2nd rd.  Grigs did say recently that he wasn't overly impressed with the quality of pass rush in this draft once you get through the first couple of guys--maybe we look to strengthen the secondary somehow to cut down on the targets.

I am being fair. I thought that the 'fact' the quarterback wouldn't be injured was part of the selling point of having an elite o-line.

QB's will get hit no matter how good your line is.  You just don't want them battened on a regular basis.

4 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

You're nuts. 

Niether of them have the QB we have in luck. If luck hadn't gotten hurt, wed be picking in the mid 20s

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You're nuts. 

Niether of them have the QB we have in luck. If luck hadn't gotten hurt, wed be picking in the mid 20s

Thats fine but if we go into next season with this defence plus a couple of low round picks we'll probably be picking in the mid teens. 

In my view its just a general trend. Teams with outstanding offensive line players rack up pro-bowls. Teams with outstanding defenses go to superbowls. 

31 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thats fine but if we go into next season with this defence plus a couple of low round picks we'll probably be picking in the mid teens. 

In my view its just a general trend. Teams with outstanding offensive line players rack up pro-bowls. Teams with outstanding defenses go to superbowls. 

Well not always but ok whatever.  I still think a LOT of our problems weren't just personnel but rather schemes by Manusky. New D, New O, plus Luck behind what appears to be on film the best center he's had since Standford, and I think we're back in the race. 

Don't forget,  we've upgraded from Toler and if Vontae comes back to form, plus Smith we could be looking very good in the secondary.  Add in a healthy Mathis, and Anderson, who by the way was ranked as one of the top DL last year prior to getting hurt, that's when our D suffered.

Add in a WR who's not washed up and a new OL blocking scheme from a man considered to be an OL genius, 

Something drastic is gonna have to happen for us to draft top 10 next year. 

As to your teams that pick centers in Rd 1 being junk teams, yes and no, Romo has been made of glass for years, but when he's healthy,  theyee usually in the playoff hunt, and Luck is better by far than Romo . Cleveland is just Cleveland where QBs and RBs go to die. 

So in summary, you're still nuts.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well not always but ok whatever.  I still think a LOT of our problems weren't just personnel but rather schemes by Manusky. New D, New O, plus Luck behind what appears to be on film the best center he's had since Standford, and I think we're back in the race. 

Don't forget,  we've upgraded from Toler and if Vontae comes back to form, plus Smith we could be looking very good in the secondary.  Add in a healthy Mathis, and Anderson, who by the way was ranked as one of the top DL last year prior to getting hurt, that's when our D suffered.

Add in a WR who's not washed up and a new OL blocking scheme from a man considered to be an OL genius, 

Something drastic is gonna have to happen for us to draft top 10 next year. 

As to your teams that pick centers in Rd 1 being junk teams, yes and no, Romo has been made of glass for years, but when he's healthy,  theyee usually in the playoff hunt, and Luck is better by far than Romo . Cleveland is just Cleveland where QBs and RBs go to die. 

So in summary, you're still nuts.

Okay. Forget the Brown's and Cowboys. Just name me the last 1st round centre to win a superbowl. I'm genuinely interested about the benefits of picking the best player in that position bring.

There's a lot of ifs and buts in that post. Saying that smith will improve and that our 35 year old pass rusher will make a difference is almost as speculative as hanging your hat on Holmes and Harrison! 

25 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Okay. Forget the Brown's and Cowboys. Just name me the last 1st round centre to win a superbowl. I'm genuinely interested about the benefits of picking the best player in that position bring.

There's a lot of ifs and buts in that post. Saying that smith will improve and that our 35 year old pass rusher will make a difference is almost as speculative as hanging your hat on Holmes and Harrison! 

Your point being? We needed a center to close the revolving door in the middle of our O-line. And we still have 5 picks to address everything else plus undrafted personnel. What round the center was picked/superbowl ratio is completely irrelevant. 

A second round pick alone isn't going to fix the defense.    

38 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Well, there's been what, 8/9 taken in the 1st round total in what 20 years, mostly be the yearly top 10 drafting teams that always suck.  Now just looking over those teams that have done so, not a single one has had a decent QB, maybe Miami, maybe.  

Are we now a superbowl contender with Kelly, no, are we much closer than we were at 8pm last night, yes.  There's multiple piece of the puzzle yet to find and then get together, but when your team is set at most of the skill positions and your weakest point on the whole team is center and you have the opportunity to take the best center in that draft, who is ranked as a mid 1st rounder by pretty much every scout out there, you take that dang center.

Last year, we were a blown onside kick call from beating the Patriots, we took the Panthers to OT and nearly won. We beat Denver, yes that Denver, with the scary good defense, you know the ones who won the superbowl.

Matter of fact, since 2012, we've beaten all the eventual superbowl champs during the season they won with the exception of the cheating Patriots.  All that with a crappy Defense and and even crappier, make shift, OL.  

I'd venture to say we're gonna be the exception, not the rule when it comes to taking centers high.

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well, there's been what, 8/9 taken in the 1st round total in what 20 years, mostly be the yearly top 10 drafting teams that always suck.  Now just looking over those teams that have done so, not a single one has had a decent QB, maybe Miami, maybe.  

Are we now a superbowl contender with Kelly, no, are we much closer than we were at 8pm last night, yes.  There's multiple piece of the puzzle yet to find and then get together, but when your team is set at most of the skill positions and your weakest point on the whole team is center and you have the opportunity to take the best center in that draft, who is ranked as a mid 1st rounder by pretty much every scout out there, you take that dang center.

Last year, we were a blown onside kick call from beating the Patriots, we took the Panthers to OT and nearly won. We beat Denver, yes that Denver, with the scary good defense, you know the ones who won the superbowl.

Matter of fact, since 2012, we've beaten all the eventual superbowl champs during the season they won with the exception of the cheating Patriots.  All that with a crappy Defense and and even crappier, make shift, OL.  

I'd venture to say we're gonna be the exception, not the rule when it comes to taking centers high.

The steelers have a decent quarterback as do the cowboys.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The steelers have a decent quarterback as do the cowboys.

How many Superbowl winning teams are in the bottom 4 in total rushing or the bottom 2 in rushing yards per attempt? Because that's where we were last year.

2 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

How many Superbowl winning teams are in the bottom 4 in total rushing or the bottom 2 in rushing yards per attempt? Because that's where we were last year.

I don't know. I'm going to guess zero though.

How far up the chart are you expecting Kelly to move us?

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't know. I'm going to guess zero though.

How far up the chart are you expecting Kelly to move us?

Including the OL coaching staff and scheme changes, we should be at least mid-table next year. I'll guess we move up a solid 12 spaces.

I wouldn't trade down just to have enough picks to 'fill all the holes'.

You're not going to fill all the holes anyway.

You can get a new guy in every position of need, but that's just filling out a roster, and there will be TC cuts.

If they trade down for value, fine, but not just to accumulate picks.

I prefer better bodies, not just more bodies. And even that's a gamble.

5 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I am being fair. I thought that the 'fact' the quarterback wouldn't be injured was part of the selling point of having an elite o-line.

People act like our line got Luck hurt but every report says other wise not saying our has been good but Lucks injuries have been reported to have happened when he was scrambling because our receivers could not get open .

8 minutes ago, B~Town said:

People act like our line got Luck hurt but every report says other wise not saying our has been good but Lucks injuries have been reported to have happened when he was scrambling because our receivers could not get open .

Well, when you barely have 1.5-2 seconds before the line collapses, yeah id be scrambling too

In the week leading up to the draft I came to grips with the notion that CB, ILB, and DL were not huge needs, and they wouldn't likely be addressed before round 7 (if at all).  All of those areas have enough good options that the staff likes to fill out the opening day roster.  Obviously, if the board dictates one of these positions (BPA), then it could happen.  But, I only expect a S and OLB by the end of round 5.  Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

In the week leading up to the draft I came to grips with the notion that CB, ILB, and DL were not huge needs, and they wouldn't likely be addressed before round 7 (if at all).  All of those areas have enough good options that the staff likes to fill out the opening day roster.  Obviously, if the board dictates one of these positions (BPA), then it could happen.  But, I only expect a S and OLB by the end of round 5.  Just my opinion.

I think that is a sound prediction.  We need mote than one OLB pass rusher.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I agree with this. Going into the draft C and OLB were our only screaming needs, maybe S too. The other needs we have like CB, ILB, DL, OT/G, RB - they're not so desperate. So we should let guys in any of those positions fall to us and go BPA.  I expect us to add an edge rusher in either the 2nd or 3rd, and probably a FS at some point during the 2 - 5 range, but other than that I think we have a ton of freedom. 

Seems as though many people don't think Corner is a need. I think once the season starts it will be apparent that it is one of the largest holes in our roster. Robinson isn't that good and Smith is completely unknown. 

I want Billings round 2 but would be stoked if we came away with Alexander. 

10 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Damien Woody, 1999 New England, SB 36 & 38.