Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who gets spiller

Ingram reminds me WAY too much of Trent Richardson, no thank you. Spiller is a fast man, great on 3ed down at least. But I wouldn't throw money at a guy that can't stay healthy. We need a running back, a quality back that can stay on the field.

Spiller made no direct statement or reference that he had real interest in going to the Eagles.  He was asked the question last night on NFL Total Access on the heels of the Shady trade.  They said C.J. I guess the Eagles are in need of a running back now, do you think you'd be a good fit?  He said I've never been in that type of system, but I'm sure Chip knows my agents number if he's interested.

With Vareen as a free agent, I wouldn't be surprised if NE is interested in Spiller as his replacement. Spiller is a good receiver out of the backfield with balzing speed. To keep him healthy, NE would utilize him as their third down back like they did with Faulk and Vareen.

In five NFL seasons, he's only rushed for more than 1,000 yards once. 

On only 207 carries that year. If he can just give 175 carries (11 carries a game) and between 4.0 and 4.5 ypc that's 700 and 800 yards rushing another 300-500 receiving yards that's plenty enough in a rotational role added on with whatever our lead back gives us. lets say 220 carries at 4.5 ypc....(Probably wont happen but hey).......That's 990 yards then that's between 1700-1800 yards rushing (which would have put us between 14th best and 17 best rushing total yards last year in the league total) then that's plenty enough considering our passing attack will lead the way....That's only on 395 total carries which would have been good for 26th most in the league last year....I expect we rush for similar attempts last year...maybe a bit more depending on how our run game is going week to week......400-420 maybe

With Vareen as a free agent, I wouldn't be surprised if NE is interested in Spiller as his replacement. Spiller is a good receiver out of the backfield with balzing speed. To keep him healthy, NE would utilize him as their third down back like they did with Faulk and Vareen.

Or they could just keep Vereen lol

On only 207 carries that year. If he can just give 175 carries (11 carries a game) and between 4.0 and 4.5 ypc that's 700 and 800 yards rushing another 300-500 receiving yards that's plenty enough in a rotational role added on with whatever our lead back gives us. lets say 220 carries at 4.5 ypc....(Probably wont happen but hey).......That's 990 yards then that's between 1700-1800 yards rushing (which would have put us between 14th best and 17 best rushing total yards last year in the league total) then that's plenty enough considering our passing attack will lead the way....That's only on 395 total carries which would have been good for 26th most in the league last year....I expect we rush for similar attempts last year...maybe a bit more depending on how our run game is going week to week......400-420 maybe

Good post Gav. I agree that he becomes more appealing as someone who can split carries with a younger lead back that we find in the draft.  Alone he doesn't really do it for me but if we draft a lead back to go with him then I'd probably warm up to him especially if he can average around 4 ypc. 

Looks like he's got a fair amount of interest.  Not sure what are chances will be, pricing might get driven up.

redskins-35.png  Redskins | Washington interested in C.J. Spiller    Sat Mar 7, 12:45 AM

The Washington Redskins are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

patriots-35.png  Patriots | NE interested in C.J. Spiller    Sat Mar 7, 12:44 AM

The New England Patriots are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

lions-35.png  Lions | New backfield mate for Joique Bell?    Sat Mar 7, 12:40 AM

Detroit Lions RB Joique Bell could have company in the backfield if the team acts on its interest and signs free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills).

Link to story
Joique Bell player page

lions-35.png  Lions | C.J. Spiller to Motown?    Sat Mar 7, 12:39 AM

The Detroit Lions are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

jets-35.png  Jets | NYJ could be in on C.J. Spiller    Sat Mar 7, 12:38 AM

The New York Jets are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey drafted Spiller in 2010 when he was head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

fortyniners-35.png  49ers | C.J. Spiller to the Bay Area?    Sat Mar 7, 12:36 AM

The San Francisco 49ers are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

dolphins-35.png  Dolphins |C.J. Spiller in aqua and orange?    Sat Mar 7, 12:36 AM

The Miami Dolphins are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

cardinals-35.png  Cardinals | C.J. Spiller on Arizona's radar    Sat Mar 7, 12:34 AM

The Arizona Cardinals are one of several teams with interest in free-agent RB C.J. Spiller (Bills), multiple league sources said Friday, March 6.

Link to story
C.J. Spiller player page

I'm not sold on Spiller. I don't know enough about him to be excited about getting him, or not wanting to get him. My only thing is that I am getting sick of this "running back by committee" we have been doing for the last 3 years. I understand Trent was suppose to be our #1 RB with no questions, but I don't want to get rid of him just to find someone else to do the same thing. We already have Herron and Carter, if we get Spiller, does he get 90% of the offensive snaps? 75?% 50%? I'm not sure if he does. Personally, I think whoever we sign, they should be taking 75%+ of the offensive snaps. In my mind, the only ones out there worth of that are AP or Murray. If we want to go the committee approach, then we need the hard hitter (Gore, Bradshaw) and the flighty (Bush, Spiller,) to go with them. but either way, Herron can not be our #1 RB, I don't really like him as our #2. Carter we need to see how he is after his injuries before we know what role he has, or if he gets cut even. 

If he turned down a 4.5 million per year contract, PASS!! Running backs are rearely worth that, and he's a homerun that usually sits on the bench. He's a good receiver and decent back, but he can't block so he's not an every down back like bradshaw..