Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we find pass rush help?

akcolt

I have been checking out other teams PS that run 3-4. As you would guess it is pretty slim pickings but there are a couple of guys I found interesting.

OLB  Chase Thomas number 4th all time sack leader at Stanford with 27.5 sacks. He is sitting on the Niners PS. I know we have some Stanford alum on here. Feedback?

OLB Adrian Hubbard a kid from Bama that had heart problems cleared now and a bad attitude made him a 2-4 round projection to a UDFA he is sitting on the Packers PS.

http://www.al.com/al...abama_lb_1.html

http://www.patriots....3e-52dd0af60912

The kid from Bama seems like if he might be helpful with the right touch.

I know we have to lose a guy from our 53 to bring in one of these guys but when Reitz get's back or we figure out what the heck we are doing at C. We should have some flexibility. We have 3 C's on the 53 man all of which can play G.

I'm of the opinion that the only way we are getting true help rushing the passer is to make a trade for someone. If not that, I don't see us getting a practice squad guy. We would have to carry him on the active roster, and it's just not worth it in my opinion. Of course, I don't claim to be a guru. I just don't want us to waste the season when really, a good pass rusher would make our entire defense sooooo much better.

I have been checking out other teams PS that run 3-4. As you would guess it is pretty slim pickings but there are a couple of guys I found interesting.

OLB  Chase Thomas number 4th all time sack leader at Stanford with 27.5 sacks. He is sitting on the Niners PS. I know we have some Stanford alum on here. Feedback?

OLB Adrian Hubbard a kid from Bama that had heart problems cleared now and a bad attitude made him a 2-4 round projection to a UDFA he is sitting on the Packers PS.

http://www.al.com/al...abama_lb_1.html

http://www.patriots....3e-52dd0af60912

The kid from Bama seems like if he might be helpful with the right touch.

I know we have to lose a guy from our 53 to bring in one of these guys but when Reitz get's back or we figure out what the heck we are doing at C. We should have some flexibility. We have 3 C's on the 53 man all of which can play G.

I got to see a lot of Hubbard and always thought he was a good player.  I remember that article and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  The main point is that he's never been in trouble and he successfully got his degree.  Basically, the guy didn't like his personality.

I'm not sure if he's a great pass rusher, or even a very good NFL LB, that remains to be seen.  But he has no off the field issues and played pretty well in college. 

Pass the info on to Grigs!

Barring trade, we have done what we can do with the position. Harrison is back with the Steelers, and I do not believe there are any other players out there that are likely to help us. We just added an OLB to the practice squad so they are continuing to look, but do not expect much. 

I'd prefer to have an "established" player that you know will have an immediate impact then just grabbing a guy with just a hunch he will help our pass rush.  Those guys look to be potential projects IMO. 

You aren't getting an established player in the middle of the season without paying dearly for it. You aren't getting an established player in FA's especially a rush backer without more that likely over paying. We can sit back with what we have or we can try to find a little help.

Bluefire.. no body likes werner because he cant play. Vince wilfork had a faster 40 time than werner.. and wilfork has 120 pounds on werner.. he has no moves to rush qbs lacks any kinda speed, he cant make s tackle. I mean come on 25 tackles in 16 games.. get em outta here

I'm of the opinion that the only way we are getting true help rushing the passer is to make a trade for someone. If not that, I don't see us getting a practice squad guy. We would have to carry him on the active roster, and it's just not worth it in my opinion. Of course, I don't claim to be a guru. I just don't want us to waste the season when really, a good pass rusher would make our entire defense sooooo much better.

I totally agree! A pass rusher is our achilles heel so to speck..lol

You aren't getting an established player in the middle of the season without paying dearly for it. You aren't getting an established player in FA's especially a rush backer without more that likely over paying. We can sit back with what we have or we can try to find a little help.

I may have missed it, but has Newsome been given a chance yet?  I know he's played STs, but I don't remember seeing him at LB.

I may have missed it, but has Newsome been given a chance yet?  I know he's played STs, but I don't remember seeing him at LB.

He's been playing some, but still kind of feeling his way around.  He's been close on occasion, but needs more experience.  I think he'll emerge as we go along, and Manusky finds the best ways to get things done with him.

He has played a little bit on D as well. He had a tackle vs the Jags first one in his career gotta start somewhere. I like Newsome.

There are a few PS players out there that are worth taking a look at Josh Muaro D Lineman was the Kerr of the Steelers camp nearly made the 53 he is stashed on their PS.

I don't know the rules on the PS but if you can bring guys in sign them to a week contract. Then get a look at them release them no big deal. If so I don't see the harm in taking a look at some of the guys out there specifically Adrian Hubbard and the two Stanford boys. Once we get Reitz back or Holmes goes on IR we can rotate them through might find another Purifoy or Kerr you never know. Or we find no one and nothing was lost.

Again I don't know the rules on how signing PS players works.

I just don't see us help at pass rush with out getting jacked in the middle of the season. We have nothing to offer in return but draft picks and I really don't want to go into the draft with 1 pick in the first 90 again.

He has played a little bit on D as well. He had a tackle vs the Jags first one in his career gotta start somewhere. I like Newsome.

There are a few PS players out there that are worth taking a look at Josh Muaro D Lineman was the Kerr of the Steelers camp nearly made the 53 he is stashed on their PS.

I don't know the rules on the PS but if you can bring guys in sign them to a week contract. Then get a look at them release them no big deal. If so I don't see the harm in taking a look at some of the guys out there specifically Adrian Hubbard and the two Stanford boys. Once we get Reitz back or Holmes goes on IR we can rotate them through might find another Purifoy or Kerr you never know. Or we find no one and nothing was lost.

Again I don't know the rules on how signing PS players works.

I just don't see us help at pass rush with out getting jacked in the middle of the season. We have nothing to offer in return but draft picks and I really don't want to go into the draft with 1 pick in the first 90 again.

I think you have to pay them for 3 weeks, but I'm not sure if you have to keep them on your roster that long.

You're right, we're not going to find a hidden Mathis on someone's PS.

Bluefire.. no body likes werner because he cant play. Vince wilfork had a faster 40 time than werner.. and wilfork has 120 pounds on werner.. he has no moves to rush qbs lacks any kinda speed, he cant make s tackle. I mean come on 25 tackles in 16 games.. get em outta here

That's how outside linebackers (especially ones that had to change positions) have performed recently. Jarvis Jones and Barkevious Mingo have performed poorly as well. So we shouldn't sign another rookie based on college production.

grigs must think we are have the players at pass rushing or he would have picked up help. werner may surprise people and walden has turned into our sack man. we have been blitzing landry and mcnary, probably freeman when he gets back. also our d-line could get some sacks. for those who think 3-4 lineman only contain and occupy, tell jj watts to quit sacking the qb, his job is to occupy and let the lbs do the sacking in a 3-4.

I wonder is there any way to work some kind of a low risk deal for Damontre Moore from the Giants?  He's more of a 3-4 OLB who they've been trying to play as a 4-3 defensive end.  To me it hasn't worked out all that well.  It may just be a matter of scheme fit.  Just another idea I'm throwing out as i'm thinking  

Nick Perry would be a good option in a trade with the Packers. He hasn't done much in his 2 years in the league but he's also playing out of position. He's being used as a Sam LB when he's really a rush LB, but Clay Matthews is playing that position and Peppers is starting at Sam LB. Similar to Hughes, I think a change of scenery would benefit Perry and he would do well as a rush LB on this team.

grigs must think we are have the players at pass rushing or he would have picked up help. werner may surprise people and walden has turned into our sack man. we have been blitzing landry and mcnary, probably freeman when he gets back. also our d-line could get some sacks. for those who think 3-4 lineman only contain and occupy, tell jj watts to quit sacking the qb, his job is to occupy and let the lbs do the sacking in a 3-4.

I'm not sure about their defense this year, but throughout his career up till now, watt was playing in a different style of 34 defense. wade Phillips runs more of a 1 gap rather than 2 gap. So watts' responsibilities are not the same as a 2 gap 34 lineman.

I wonder is there any way to work some kind of a low risk deal for Damontre Moore from the Giants?  He's more of a 3-4 OLB who they've been trying to play as a 4-3 defensive end.  To me it hasn't worked out all that well.  It may just be a matter of scheme fit.  Just another idea I'm throwing out as i'm thinking  

I think that's what they were trying with Jerry Hughes.  

Moore could work out well here.  

Weren't they shopping Barwin or someone?

C for Pass Rusher should work

The Eagles were reportedly shopping Graham.

I think within this thread,  the idea of Graham or Perry are the most interesting.    I have no idea how Grigson sees them.

We also have a new poster who believes Vince Wilfork is faster than Bjorn Werner.     That wasn't even true when Wilfork was younger, thinner and faster.     It's certainly not true now that Wilfork is coming off an Achilles injury..     And Werner played decently Sunday.     Must have been a case of the new poster jitters.....      I'm almost sure that's it....   

The Eagles were reportedly shopping Graham.

I think within this thread, the idea of Graham or Perry are the most interesting. I have no idea how Grigson sees them.

We also have a new poster who believes Vince Wilfork is faster than Bjorn Werner. That wasn't even true when Wilfork was younger, thinner and faster. It's certainly not true now that Wilfork is coming off an Achilles injury.. And Werner played decently Sunday. Must have been a case of the new poster jitters..... I'm almost sure that's it....

Faster as in straight line speed or getting off the ball faster?

If it's getting off the ball faster then you have an argument

Faster as in straight line speed or getting off the ball faster?

If it's getting off the ball faster then you have an argument

Faster in every way you can measure.  

Look,  I'm a big Vince Wilfork person.     But anyone claiming that Wilfork is faster than Werner has some serious hate going on that has so blinded them to reality that they can think straight.

Vince Wilfork has never been faster than Bjorn Werner -- period.   (well,  except maybe faster to the line at the team cafeteria...)

That doesn't mean Werner is a better player,  or that he's even a good player right now.   I'd call him emerging.   But 3 games into his 2nd year is hardly what Werner will eventually turn into.    We're all hoping for more, and frankly I'm expecting him to become better.

But let's be reasonable and not jump into the hyperbole ocean..............

Just sayin......

Sorry for the confusion, me personally id rather stick with the guns we already have available then look else where. I was simply stating if we were to look outside of the current roster for help id prefer an established guy not a project. We can focus on developing and rotating guys like Newsome or Mcnary in the line up.  Makes more sense to spend time working with guys who already are assimilated with the defense and playbook.