Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nicks

Mr.Debonair

I don't watch the games too in-depth, so my question for those who do is, is he not getting open or is Luck just not looking for him?

Andrew isn't looking for him cause he's too busy locking onto Wayne & Hilton

The interception play Nick's went over to the sideline and let Andrew know about it.

Luck is not spreading the ball. We have too much talent and we are limiting ourselves. If Luck gets everyone involved, it would be impossible for defenses to key on any particular player.

Prime Example: Saints game in preseason. Touchdown to Fleener was pitch & catch cause both safeties were over top helping with Wayne & Nicks leaving Fleener and the middle wide open

But no, Pep doesn't watch film and take notice of the good things. He wants to do things his way

He's not getting enough snaps. 

Jack Doyle got more snaps last night. 

I agree that Nicks needs more snaps. He can be a 'gamebreaker". But I was impressed with Doyle last night--both as a run blocker and as a pass catcher. He ran over a defender for a tough first down. That stuck out to me.

He's not getting enough snaps.

Jack Doyle got more snaps last night.

We were in 3 TE sets & 2 WR sets for at least 85% of the game

Once again, not playing to our strengths

Strength is the WR Corps, not the TE Corps

5 Good WR's

2 Good TE's and a okay 3rd TE. (Haven't send enough of Doyle yet)

Nicks doesn't get open well anymore...one main reason the Giants let him go.

Hard to get open watching from the sidelines. 

Good ol pep left him mainly as a bystander last night. Like someone said, Jack Doyle got more snaps.

Andrew is also looking to Reggie a little too much IMO. It's actually kind of starting to bother me. 

Hard to get open watching from the sidelines. 

Good ol pep left him mainly as a bystander last night. Like someone said, Jack Doyle got more snaps.

Andrew is also looking to Reggie a little too much IMO. It's actually kind of starting to bother me. 

I am not buying into the idea of dismantling the team, but I will throw a little gas on the fire. ;)

Arians would be slobbering on him self with the offensive talent that we have in Indy. He would probably run 4 wides 80-90% of the time. 

I do believe we should to get Moncrief and Nicks more involved, even if it means rotating TY and Reggie out of the game. 

5 Good WR's

The strategy worked fine. It was the turnovers that doomed the colts.

I am re-watching the game. In the first quarter, Luck throws a bubble screen, away from Nicks due to an on-coming defender. Nicks catches the ball for a loss. Luck should've thrown it away. Also in the first quarter, Luck throws a fade to Nicks in the end zone, incomplete, bad throw. In the second quarter, about 10 minutes left, Luck throws a slant to Nicks. Nicks doesn't slant away from the defender and it looks as though Luck was inaccurate. It was a good throw but lazy route.

It's these little things that you have to do to gain your QB's trust. It was a simple slant route. Let's see if Luck comes back to him the rest of the game. I can't remember.

5 Good WR's

There's no reason to separate the WR's from the TE's as receivers in this kind of discussion.

We have a top flight overall receiving corps.

Do you really care who gets the pass if there are passes going all around?

We have two top quality receiving tight ends and they're not getting enough targets.    And neither are Hicks or Moncrief, or Rogers or, for that matter,  Trent last night.

We have lots of weapons and most of them are not being used at all, let alone effectively.

I view this as a Pep thing.    And if Luck needs to audible more to make it happen -- then do it.

Nicks and Allen we're open a half dozen times vs the Eagles, Luck is forcing the ball to Wayne and Hilton and it's hurting the team. If Luck went to his 2nd and 3rd reads more, both players would have had over 75 yards.

Yeah, but let's focus on Pep calling plays that force Luck not to throw the ball to open receivers, amiright?

Our base set should be Wayne Nicks ty Moncrief 2x2 with ahmad in the back field.. Open up the game like this and implement speed sweeps with ty and Moncrief. ...

Why do people hate the run game? Damn, we finally look like we have one, and people are spitting all over it.

I don't know if this is a factor with Nicks or not.....    but this is something I read a few weeks ago (prior to the season starting...)

On ESPN.com,  Tim Hasselback,  who I like very much (very bright guy)  wrote that he had been told that Nicks showed up to training camp.......  overweight and out of shape.

I was very, very, very not happy to learn that.

Here's a guy playing on a one-year make-good looking to have such a good 2014 season that he get's lots and lots of multi-year offers to drive up his price.

And what does he do?    Shows up overweight and out of shape.   (sigh...)

Again.....   maybe this means nothing in the grand scheme of things....   but since it's been public on ESPN.com,  I thought I'd share it here now since the subject of Nicks came up......

I don't know if this is a factor with Nicks or not..... but this is something I read a few weeks ago (prior to the season starting...)

On ESPN.com, Tim Hasselback, who I like very much (very bright guy) wrote that he had been told that Nicks showed up to training camp....... overweight and out of shape.

Here's a guy playing on a one-year make-good looking to have such a good 2014 season that he get's lots and lots of multi-year offers to drive up his price.

And what does he do? Shows up overweight and out of shape. (sigh...)

Again..... maybe this means nothing in the grand scheme of things.... but since it's been public on ESPN.com, I thought I'd share it here now since the subject of Nicks came up......

He was wrong. People took some of Pep's comments out of context and the media ran with a non-story.

He was wrong. People took some of Pep's comments out of context and the media ran with a non-story.

Perhaps.

But do you really think Tim Hasselbeck's only source on saying something like that was Pep's public comments?

I think there's a reasonably good chance that TH had more sources than that for confirmation.

I don't know if this is a factor with Nicks or not..... but this is something I read a few weeks ago (prior to the season starting...)

On ESPN.com, Tim Hasselback, who I like very much (very bright guy) wrote that he had been told that Nicks showed up to training camp....... overweight and out of shape.

And what does he do? Shows up overweight and out of shape. (sigh...)

Again..... maybe this means nothing in the grand scheme of things.... but since it's been public on ESPN.com, I thought I'd share it here now since the subject of Nicks came up......

Moncrief is in shape, Allen is too. I think like many said here, Luck isn't look for anyone besides Hilton or Reg

Moncrief is in shape, Allen is too. I think like many said here, Luck isn't look for anyone besides Hilton or Reg

I've been saying Luck looks for Wayne way too much since early last year.

And I've been posting here all day that we didn't target guys like Allen, Fleener, Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers and even Trent nearly enough last night.      We concentrated on Hilton, Wayne and Bradshaw.

Not good enough.   And a huge waste of talent.

No disagreement from me......

Perhaps.

But do you really think Tim Hasselbeck's only source on saying something like that was Pep's public comments?

I think there's a reasonably good chance that TH had more sources than that for confirmation.

I don't think so. I think that entire story was an exaggeration of Pep's comments, and there's been little since to suggest otherwise. As a matter of fact, the very next preseason game, we targeted the heck out of Nicks.

Prime Example: Saints game in preseason. Touchdown to Fleener was pitch & catch cause both safeties were over top helping with Wayne & Nicks leaving Fleener and the middle wide open

But no, Pep doesn't watch film and take notice of the good things. He wants to do things his way

Your Pep bashing posts are now damn near unbearable TK..

I am not buying into the idea of dismantling the team, but I will throw a little gas on the fire. ;)

Arians would be slobbering on him self with the offensive talent that we have in Indy. He would probably run 4 wides 80-90% of the time. 

I do believe we should to get Moncrief and Nicks more involved, even if it means rotating TY and Reggie out of the game. 

I think we'd get a lot more chunk plays with Moncrief and Nicks involved.  It would also open up more chunk plays for T.Y.  I'm trying to be patient as I usually view the first two games of the season as almost an extension of the preseason where you're still building your best packages and creating chemistry. I expect Pep to get more aggresive with the involvement of Nicks and Moncrief as we play more games and have more things on film to exploit.

I don't watch the games too in-depth, so my question for those who do is, is he not getting open or is Luck just not looking for him?

These people have turned Luck into a "game manager" style QB. And since he has no time to throw the ball, he locks onto Reggie whenever he can. No time to check down to Nicks. At least not thus far anyway.

Our base set should be Wayne Nicks ty Moncrief 2x2 with ahmad in the back field.. Open up the game like this and implement speed sweeps with ty and Moncrief. ...

I don't know about the speed sweeps, but I think I agree with you about the 2x2 look.  It's a good mixture of size and speed. I think it would cause the defense some problems for sure. I think you could have a tight end in there as well in the 3 point stance.  I know with the 12 personnel we've been using, Denver mostly looked at our receiving corps as a bunch of possesion receivers for the most part.  A 2x2 look helps you get more speed on the field.

Why is it if Aaron Rodgers hands off to Lacy 30 times in a game no one calls him a game manager, but if we hand the ball off to both our backs in the same number and it's working then Luck becomes a game manager?  I just can't blame Pep for using what worked last night. Brady did the same thing to us in the playoffs the entire night and it worked like gang busters.  Nobody called him a game manager.  If a team can't stop the run, then just keep letting them have it.

Why do people hate the run game? Damn, we finally look like we have one, and people are spitting all over it.

I love the fact that we got the running game going. ... But for the love of God let's get creative. if I learned anything from Monday night is that nfl refs train at the Ray Charles school of officiating and philly is extremely creative with only 2 major weapons. .. And we have like 6... Think about that. .... That's 6 not counting Andrew luck *mind blown *