Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts Consider Richie Incognito?

masterlock

Pagano/Grigson is usually the type of person to give everyone a second chance. I wouldn't be surprised if Richie signed with us, but totally risky. Even if he was signed, I cant see him starting over Mewhort or Thornton. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested this last week. I think our locker room has the integrity to keep him in check. Like others have said, he may be a butt, but all we've heard was the media's agenda driven stories. I'm not saying it's okay, just saying the media controls what we know.

We're at the point where Grigs is more than likely going to sign a vet after cuts, perhaps even a late draft pick trade.

I'm all for low risk, high reward!

Its low reward..very high risk...you create media mess and he's always been a punk going way back. Most in the NFL know it

Its insanity. Move on to the next guy

I don't get how it's high risk if we just cut him at the first sign of trouble.

Ummm, that is the worst. If you can't get along with other players on that many occasions you have used you chances up. The time to find a new job has come. You don't know what went along with the fire extinguisher, and my guess is Rainey wasn't sharing the whole story on Twitter. Yes K. Richardson who they resigned has a past that I don't agree with either he robbed someone at gun point.

You may want to fact check this post

If he was a young guy who was just immature and I thought he could make some positive changes I'd be in favor of giving him a chance.

Incognito is not a young guy.  This would be his 10th year in the league.  At this point, I think we have to accept that he is what he is, and he's probably not going to change much.  I don't think we can make the comparison to a guy like Rogers.  Signing a guy like Rogers as a FA right out of college is low risk, and his youth made is more feasible to teach him maturity.  Young guys are more malleable, more likely to grow in a positive direction if you guide them that way, and don't hurt the team too much if they fail.  What people are talking about here is signing a guy in his 30s who has ALWAYS had serious problems with immaturity and anger, and then RELYING on him to bolster our team.  As a vet he'd cost a lot more - even the vet minimum would be around what Brazill and Rogers cost COMBINED - and if he fails it would be more damaging to the team.

And while I'm not saying that it's impossible for a guy his age to change, I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking the chance at this point.

As a person of color, its clear he wasn't really a racist. Bring him in. For the love of Andrew Luck, bring him in

I'm not objecting because I think he's a racist, I'm objecting because I think he's a loose cannon man-child with anger issues.

I'm not objecting because I think he's a racist, I'm objecting because I think he's a loose cannon man-child with anger issues.

The most humbling thing is needing a job. Im sure he's become accustomed to a certain lifestyle and will be on his best behavior to get his check. Won't be anymore chances after his next.

I forgot about the incident with the woman though. That might be more of an issue. I would want to know more about what happened there.

The most humbling thing is needing a job. Im sure he's become accustomed to a certain lifestyle and will be on his best behavior to get his check. Won't be anymore chances after his next.

I forgot about the incident with the woman though. That might be more of an issue. I would want to know more about what happened there.

This isn't the first time he's needed another chance.

Look, I wouldn't be against the front office and coaching staff talking to him, but he'd have to make one heck of an argument on his own behalf to convince me to roll the dice on him.  Like I said, even considering circumstances which, to a normal person, would be humbling and cause them to reevaluate, I just think it's a lot easier to change a 21 year old than a 31 year old.

If nothing else, this thread stands as testament to our (colts fans) irritation with our teams biggest weak link being the oft times unappreciated front line. So much so that we're even discussing bringing in a guy often described as a "psycho bully". 

Still no news on holmes seems odd to me, maybe something's cooking behind the scenes..

No news is good news. 

Although i wouldn't be against bringing him in, i think guard is not the most pressing need on our line at the moment..

Good thing about O-lineman, their positions are often interchangeable, providing flux via depth. 

No, anyone who doesn't have an open mind is closed minded, your rebuttal is one of the dumbest comments in existence, thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Just so I can properly educate you, having a closed mind like yourself is not an insult, here is the definition:

Full Definition of CLOSED-MINDED

: obstinately resistant to argument or to unfamiliar or unwelcome ideas

Some people choose to be closed minded, and that is OK, I was merely pointing it out.

Two things...I highly doubt you'll ever educate me on anything and two, closed minded is the last way anyone would describe me that truly knows me.

It's not at all closed minded to not want a guy like incognito on the team but you go on and keep thinking that if it makes you feel superior. ;)

Yes they should consider him.  I'll bet they already have.

Then, they should reject the notion.

Here's why, IMO.

During final cuts, out of necessity the Colts are going to cut a number of players that will find jobs as quality backup players (and maybe starters) on other rosters' final 53.  Among the most likely positions will be defensive front 7, wide receiver and tight end.

Likewise, most other teams are going to cut players who will become quality backup players in the league.  Some of those teams will cut quality offensive linemen.  I expect Grigs to be studying these players in advance and make his move when the opportunity comes.

No need to panic and bring in a cancer.

No.  Luck and Fleener are pals of Jonathan Martin, who protected Luck's blind side for 3 yrs at Stanford.  Fleener was very vocal in support of Martin, I'd think they'd veto any such move.

If an organization allows players to veto personnel moves then they have bigger problems than a thin oline.

That being said, I don't think bringing in Incognito would be a good move.  One at the guard position the Colts have Mewhort, Thornton, Louis and Reitz.  SO they probably won't keep any more guards than that.

If Incognito played center than I'd be more for the move.   But I have a feeling that Holmes' injury is not too bad.  The brought in Austin to have 3 in rotation for the next couple three weeks.

I've read through every one of these posts, and a few people seem to be missing a KEY point, that I feel I should point out. Did anyone actually read the report findings of the "bully-gate"? Because I did, every single page.

Incognito was the scape goat for the entire debacle. It was found that every single person on that offensive line had a part in bullying John Martin, even Mike Pouncey, the Dolphins star center, who I know many forum members would kill to have him on our team.. Is Pouncey on waivers right now? No, he's sitting high and mighty as the dolphins starting center.

I'm not defending Incognito's actions, I'm just merely stating that he wasn't the lone bully in this situation. So why should he be condemned to a life of FA, while everyone else gets to keep their jobs?

With that being said, should we look at this guy. The answer is a simple: YES! He rejuvenated his career in Miami, and became a premiere guard, which people like to forget. Does he have off the field issues, you bet yeah, but beggars can't be choosers. We may be in a position where Mewhort, or Thorton for that matter, may need to kick inside and play that C spot. If that's the case, we can't afford to give that Guard spot to some no-name. We need a veteran to fill that void, and I for one, would LOVE to have a monster like Incognito filling that void. 

I've read through every one of these posts, and a few people seem to be missing a KEY point, that I feel I should point out. Did anyone actually read the report findings of the "bully-gate"? Because I did, every single page.

Incognito was the scape goat for the entire debacle. It was found that every single person on that offensive line had a part in bullying John Martin, even Mike Pouncey, the Dolphins star center, who I know many forum members would kill to have him on our team.. Is Pouncey on waivers right now? No, he's sitting high and mighty as the dolphins starting center.

I'm not defending Incognito's actions, I'm just merely stating that he wasn't the lone bully in this situation. So why should he be condemned to a life of FA, while everyone else gets to keep their jobs?

With that being said, should we look at this guy. The answer is a simple: YES! He rejuvenated his career in Miami, and became a premiere guard, which people like to forget. Does he have off the field issues, you bet yeah, but beggars can't be choosers. We may be in a position where Mewhort, or Thorton for that matter, may need to kick inside and play that C spot. If that's the case, we can't afford to give that Guard spot to some no-name. We need a veteran to fill that void, and I for one, would LOVE to have a monster like Incognito filling that void. 

I've read every page of the report as well (more than once in fact), and what you said is flat out wrong.  I don't want to get into a protracted debate as it's not the point of this thread, people are welcome to read the complete Wells report and draw their own conclusions.

Yes they should consider him.  I'll bet they already have.

Then, they should reject the notion.

Here's why, IMO.

During final cuts, out of necessity the Colts are going to cut a number of players that will find jobs as quality backup players (and maybe starters) on other rosters' final 53.  Among the most likely positions will be defensive front 7, wide receiver and tight end.

Likewise, most other teams are going to cut players who will become quality backup players in the league.  Some of those teams will cut quality offensive linemen.  I expect Grigs to be studying these players in advance and make his move when the opportunity comes.

No need to panic and bring in a cancer.

Cancer for the Rams? Yes.

Cancer for the Dolphins? NOPE!

How many players in that locker room came out in support of Incognito? Including JONATHON MARTIN HIMSELF! We don't know what he truly is like in the locker room, but apparently, it's not what you believe. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had the support he did during this whole debacle.

Give the man a fair chance. Michael Vick killed and abused animals, and he became a starting QB in this league again. Richie Incognito used some very harsh language to bully a team mate, but he's automatically a "cancer", and is doomed the a life of Free-agency?

Everyone deserves fresh starts and new beginnings, and I for one would LOVE to see his fresh start begin with the Indianapolis Colts organization.

I've read every page of the report as well (more than once in fact), and what you said is flat out wrong.  I don't want to get into a protracted debate as it's not the point of this thread, people are welcome to read the complete Wells report and draw their own conclusions.

Sorry, but I'm not wrong

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/15/3935096/miami-dolphins-incognito-pouncey.html

If you're curious, just open that article, control+F Pouncey.

Don't read the herald, read the report.  IC was found to be the leader of a group of 3, not the whole OL.  If you want to have someone who forced his team-mates to go to team meatings in a strip-club, and sexually harassed a female hotel employee at a team function, then be my guest.

Sorry, but I'm not wrong

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/15/3935096/miami-dolphins-incognito-pouncey.html

If you're curious, just open that article, control+F Pouncey.

With all due respect, the Ted Wells report unequivocally states that while others also harassed Martin, Incognito was the main instigator. You're right that Pouncey probably deserved more blame than he received. But Incognito is not a victim or a scapegoat; his current situation is of his own making. I have no desire to see him on the Colts.

First, Grigson and Pagano will be concerned about team chemistry.  Individual play potential is worthless if team play/chemistry suffers.

Second, Irsay is concerned with his Brand   The Horseshoe.  He won't tarnish the Shoe and it's possible Incognito would defecate on it.  His track record is full of massive turd-ism.

Third, I don't think Incognito can play unless he's instigating and jacking people up or around. That's his motivating trigger.  Take that away and he's < average.  And an incident from getting cut. Speaking of cut, how much will he demand to play?

Here's his stellar past-

"

• As a freshman at Nebraska in 2002, Incognito (according to USA Today this week) bullied teammate Jack Limbaugh to the point where he stormed off at practice.

• Incognito started 13 of 14 games as a true freshman, missing the one against Iowa State because of an in-game fight against Penn State the week prior.

• Incognito was suspended the following spring by then-head coach Frank Solich. The reasons never were reported.

• In the spring semester of 2004, Incognito was charged with three counts of assault after a fight at a party. He was found guilty on one charge of misdemeanor assault and hit with a $500 fine.

• That following fall, Incognito was suspended from Nebraska and he withdrew from school two weeks later.

• Two weeks after leaving Nebraska, Incognito enrolled at Oregon. A week after that, then-Ducks head coach Mike Bellotti kicked him off the team and told the Oregonian: "There were conditions we had set down and set forth for him to be admitted to our program, and they were not met."

• That next spring in 2005, Incognito declared for the NFL draft. Former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy recently told Dan Patrick that his team red-flagged Incognito for character concerns and removed him from their draft board. So did former New England Patriots personnel boss Scott Pioli, who echoed similar sentiments on NBC Sunday night.

• After being taken in the third round of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams, Incognito earned a starting spot and became known for his rough style on the field. He committed 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, in 44 games.

• Incognito was voted the "NFL's dirtiest player" by The Sporting News in a poll of 99 players in 2009.

• After several incidents involving fans and then-Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (during a game against the Tennessee Titans), Incognito was released in December 2009. He finished the season with the Buffalo Bills but spent only three games with them.

• In December 2011, as a member of the Miami Dolphins, Incognito incited Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who was fined $30,000 for punching Incognito during a game

Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith called out Incognito for dirty play in 2012. In a 2013 preseason game with the Dolphins, Smith swung his helmet during an altercation with Incognito, which earned Smith a one-week suspension.

• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.

• Also in August, Incognito was involved in an incident at a Miami Beach hotel in which it was reported he punched a security guard, but his name was cleared, charges were dropped and Incognito was issued only a trespassing warning.

• The incidents with Jonathan Martin, which reportedly dated from his rookie season, and through April OTAs, came to light in November. The Dolphins, after hearing the reported death threats and racist slurs on voicemails left on Martin's cell phone, suspended Incognito indefinitely and reportedly plan to cut ties with him.

they just signed a guy who was arrested for armed robbery

and I couldn't tell you his name.....every team has criminals..its the NFL

Incognito brings a circus that no one in Indy wants. Want to be famous for hiring a menace to NFL society?

It worries me about this season that fans are asking about acquiring a psycho freak with a vivid history of abusing people male and female..

...after one exhibition game.