Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reitz signs tender.

Dustin

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I care. Sometimes mediocre is an upgrade.

These same people continually defended starting McGlynn and Satele over other more capable players, citing "if they can't beat them out, obviously the coaches know something we don't.."

Well, now those same guys that "couldn't beat" these inept players out are still on the roster/slated to start while Satele and McGlynn are no longer with the team. That points directly to the incompetency of our staff if we had guys sitting on the bench who were better than our (then) starters (who struggled so bad they stuck out like a sore thumb every week)

I'm not convinced we'll have our best 5 on the field next season, even if we have the horses

I never realized that Reitz didn't play college football. He played college basketball at Western Michigan. The Ravens signed him as an UDFA with the intention of making him a tight end. Bulked up to 270 and became an OT. 

Interesting info.

I never realized that Reitz didn't play college football. He played college basketball at Western Michigan. The Ravens signed him as an UDFA with the intention of making him a tight end. Bulked up to 270 and became an OT. 

Interesting info.

He played well at LG in 2011 and 2012.

Griggs must have liked something about him, cause he came from the Polian era and nearly all of those players gone. 

These same people continually defended starting McGlynn and Satele over other more capable players, citing "if they can't beat them out, obviously the coaches know something we don't.."

Well, now those same guys that "couldn't beat" these inept players out are still on the roster/slated to start while Satele and McGlynn are no longer with the team. That points directly to the incompetency of our staff if we had guys sitting on the bench who were better than our (then) starters (who struggled so bad they stuck out like a sore thumb every week)

I'm not convinced we'll have our best 5 on the field next season, even if we have the horses

I know that you know that it's not that simple. I'll never defend Satele or McGlynn, but I do accept the in depth analysis that Colts Authority did on all of the Olinemen. Reitz didn't do enough to win a starting spot, plus he constantly had injuries.

IMHO, what he does have over the guys they let go is potential. He's only been playing the position for a short time so there's room for improvement. S & M are probably as good (or bad) as they're going to be.

So, not with blind faith, but with the confidence that our coaches do know more than we do, I accept their logic for playing guys we'd rather not see play. I also think they know we have to improve and are doing their best to do it.

I know that you know that it's not that simple. I'll never defend Satele or McGlynn, but I do accept the in depth analysis that Colts Authority did on all of the Olinemen. Reitz didn't do enough to win a starting spot, plus he constantly had injuries.

IMHO, what he does have over the guys they let go is potential. He's only been playing the position for a short time so there's room for improvement. S & M are probably as good (or bad) as they're going to be.

So, not with blind faith, but with the confidence that our coaches do know more than we do, I accept their logic for playing guys we'd rather not see play. I also think they know we have to improve and are doing their best to do it.

Of course they're trying their best. I mean after all, we did pursue Alex Mack. Didn't sign him thankfully with the $$$$ he's about to make, but at least we made the effort

Reitz did enough to win a starting spot by virtue of how awful McGlynn was. McGlynn should never have been penciled in as a starter last year. I remember saying from the start that our optimal lineup heading into last year should've been Castonzo, Reitz, Shipley, Thomas, Cherilus. Reitz had a positive overall grade according to PFF last season, while McGlynn graded out as our worst linemen, by a mile. And as for Reitz durability issues, that didn't seem to bother the staff in regards to Satele and his inability to stay on the field consistently. The job was always his when he came back, healthy or not. A bit of a double-standard to use Reitz injuries as an excuse not to start him when healthy, when they were doing just that with an equally injury-proned, lesser player.

That's fine that you trust the staff. What I'm saying is, based off my own eye test, and the lackluster results from the players the staff has chosen to feature along the line, I'm not as trusting of the staff's decisions, and I think outside factors such as contract size and favoritism factored into a bunch of poor decisions regarding the depth chart last season

Reitz did enough to win a starting spot by virtue of how awful McGlynn was. McGlynn should never have been penciled in as a starter last year. I remember saying from the start that our optimal lineup heading into last year should've been Castonzo, Reitz, Shipley, Thomas, Cherilus. Reitz had a positive overall grade according to PFF last season, while McGlynn graded out as our worst linemen, by a mile. And as for Reitz durability issues, that didn't seem to bother the staff in regards to Satele and his inability to stay on the field consistently. The job was always his when he came back, healthy or not. A bit of a double-standard to use Reitz injuries as an excuse not to start him when healthy, when they were doing just that with an equally injury-proned, lesser player.

That's fine that you trust the staff. What I'm saying is, based off my own eye test, and the lackluster results from the players the staff has chosen to feature along the line, I'm not as trusting of the staff's decisions, and I think outside factors such as contract size and favoritism factored into a bunch of poor decisions regarding the depth chart last season

McGlynn was never penciled in as a starter.    He was always a back-up.   The only time he ever started was when other guys got hurt.   If you want to argue that when other guys got hurt it should've been Reitz stepping in and not McGlynn at guard,  that's another story and I doubt I'd argue with you.

The only position I liked McGlynn in was Center where I thought he was often better than Satele.

That said, for all the McGlynn bashing that goes on around here,  I hoped people noticed he got scooped up by another team.  That tells me McGlynn -- for all his problems -- is never as bad as people here seem to think.

McGlynn was never penciled in as a starter. He was always a back-up. The only time he ever started was when other guys got hurt. If you want to argue that when other guys got hurt it should've been Reitz stepping in and not McGlynn at guard, that's another story and I doubt I'd argue with you.

The only position I liked McGlynn in was Center where I thought he was often better than Satele.

That said, for all the McGlynn bashing that goes on around here, I hoped people noticed he got scooped up by another team. That tells me McGlynn -- for all his problems -- is never as bad as people here seem to think.

Who was hurt at the start of the year when it was Castonzo, Thomas, Satele, McGlynn, Cherilus?.....You might want to revisit the start of last season because you're mistaken

McGlynn was given the starting job. He wasn't backing up anyone. Thornton couldn't even get on the field until Thomas got hurt, and Reitz was buried behind everyone, including Linkenbach, despite being a starter the season prior.

And I don't care who picked McGlynn up, I care about how he played when he was here. He was an awful guard when he was here, when he was in Cincy and when he was in Philly. I'm sure he'll be an awful guard in Washington as well, should they choose to play him there. At least Washington was smart enough to acquire him solely as depth and nothing more. He was our starter for 2 years

Who was hurt at the start of the year when it was Castonzo, Thomas, Satele, McGlynn, Cherilus?.....You might want to revisit the start of last season because you're mistaken

McGlynn was given the starting job. He wasn't backing up anyone. Thornton couldn't even get on the field until Thomas got hurt, and Reitz was buried behind everyone, including Linkenbach, despite being a starter the season prior.

And I don't care who picked McGlynn up, I care about how he played when he was here. He was an awful guard when he was here, when he was in Cincy and when he was in Philly. I'm sure he'll be an awful guard in Washington as well, should they choose to play him there. At least Washington was smart enough to acquire him solely as depth and nothing more. He was our starter for 2 years

Thornton wasn't ready to play.   But I think the goal all along was for Thornton to start from Day 1.

You are so raging angry you can't even think straight.  I don't recall if McGlynn was brought here to start in 2012,  but even if he was,   I guess you're not remembering the days of an $80 Million dollar payroll.   $40 Mill in dead cap space. 

McGlynn was a back-up pressed into starting duty.   Your anger doesn't change the reality. 

Thornton wasn't ready to play. But I think the goal all along was for Thornton to start from Day 1.

You are so raging angry you can't even think straight. I don't recall if McGlynn was brought here to start in 2012, but even if he was, I guess you're not remembering the days of an $80 Million dollar payroll. $40 Mill in dead cap space.

McGlynn was a back-up pressed into starting duty. Your anger doesn't change the reality.

You're missing the point. I understand he was a cheap acquisition at a time when we had cap issues. What I'm saying is the coaches started him over more capable players, for reasons unknown.

And don't accuse me of not thinking clearly when you (admittedly) aren't even aware of the facts surrounding our acquiring and use of McGlynn when he was here. You can go look up old articles in the archives of the team's website for proof that Grigson brought him in to start. 2012 was excusable because of the lack of overall depth. Last year, however? I feel like McGlynn was given a starting spot that he did nothing the season prior to earn. And when he continued to underwhelm last year along with Satele, he wasn't benched until the team hit rock bottom and the owner called the team out to make changes. THAT is reality. Your denial does not change it

Thornton wasn't ready to play.   But I think the goal all along was for Thornton to start from Day 1.

You are so raging angry you can't even think straight.  I don't recall if McGlynn was brought here to start in 2012,  but even if he was,   I guess you're not remembering the days of an $80 Million dollar payroll.   $40 Mill in dead cap space. 

McGlynn was a back-up pressed into starting duty.   Your anger doesn't change the reality. 

No, Mcglynn really is bad. Jay Gruden has some familiarity with Mcglynn from when Mcglynn was with the Bengals, Plus Mcglynn does have 48 starts under his belt and is a serviceable Center, He is listed as an OT on the Redskins site, Not alot of guys out there that have alot of starting experience a GM can watch film on and say I want him or him unless you want a 34 year old Bryant Mckinnie or a 32 year old Tyson Clabo

No, Mcglynn really is bad. Jay Gruden has some familiarity with Mcglynn from when Mcglynn was with the Bengals, Plus Mcglynn does have 48 starts under his belt and is a serviceable Center, He is listed as an OT on the Redskins site, Not alot of guys out there that have alot of starting experience a GM can watch film on and say I want him or him unless you want a 34 year old Bryant Mckinnie or a 32 year old Tyson Clabo

Well....  if McGlynn really is bad,  then it doesn't add up the Gruden -- who has familiarity with him -- would still want him.

You'd think he wouldn't want any part of him.

You're missing the point. I understand he was a cheap acquisition at a time when we had cap issues. What I'm saying is the coaches started him over more capable players, for reasons unknown.

And don't accuse me of not thinking clearly when you (admittedly) aren't even aware of the facts surrounding our acquiring and use of McGlynn when he was here. You can go look up old articles in the archives of the team's website for proof that Grigson brought him in to start. 2012 was excusable because of the lack of overall depth. Last year, however? I feel like McGlynn was given a starting spot that he did nothing the season prior to earn. And when he continued to underwhelm last year along with Satele, he wasn't benched until the team hit rock bottom and the owner called the team out to make changes. THAT is reality. Your denial does not change it

Right.    Now the coaches only changed McGlynn because Irsay told them to.    Perfect.    Angry fan rages again.

Like I said, the plan was for Thornton to start.   Unfortunately, he wasn't ready.   McGlynn got the nod.   And if others were better,  why didn't we start them?    Why didn't we start Reitz?    Why didn't we start Linkenbach?     I asked another poster that same question and got no response.    You're not the least bit shy,  I suspect you'll have a response.

Oh, and here's a bit of irony I'm sure you won't enjoy.    Your handle, HireBruceArians.

Great!    The same guy who got himself fired from Pittsburgh because his system -- drop 7 steps and look and look and look and then throw medium to deep,  almost got Roethlisburger killed.

Well....   it got Luck beat up badly his first year.   Now guys like you rage along with others about our insistence on a running game.   A running game designed to protect Andrew Luck.    And Arians has taken his offense to Arizona where they've got a questionable o-line there too.    Good luck to Carson Palmer.

Hey, I love Bruce Arians.   Think he's a heckuva good head coach.   Think he's proven that.   But he's also proven he's as stubborn as can be.   He's going to go with the system he believes in,  even if it gets his QB killed.    I was happy Bruce got the head coaching job he always wanted.    I was also happy to see him leave.    There's a better chance of keeping Luck in one piece without him.

Well....  if McGlynn really is bad,  then it doesn't add up the Gruden -- who has familiarity with him -- would still want him.

You'd think he wouldn't want any part of him.

your right, we could not run the ball the 2 years he was here and starting because he was to good :funny:

.NewColtsFan, on 18 Apr 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

Like I said, the plan was for Thornton to start.   Unfortunately, he wasn't ready.   McGlynn got the nod.   And if others were better,  why didn't we start them?    Why didn't we start Reitz?    Why didn't we start Linkenbach?     I asked another poster that same question and got no response.    You're not the least bit shy,  I suspect you'll have a response. 

Oh, and here's a bit of irony I'm sure you won't enjoy.    Your handle, HireBruceArians.

Great!    The same guy who got himself fired from Pittsburgh because his system -- drop 7 steps and look and look and look and then throw medium to deep,  almost got Roethlisburger killed.

Well....   it got Luck beat up badly his first year.   Now guys like you rage along with others about our insistence on a running game.   A running game designed to protect Andrew Luck.    And Arians has taken his offense to Arizona where they've got a questionable o-line there too.    Good luck to Carson Palmer.

Hey, I love Bruce Arians.   Think he's a heckuva good head coach.   Think he's proven that.   But he's also proven he's as stubborn as can be.   He's going to go with the system he believes in,  even if it gets his QB killed.    I was happy Bruce got the head coaching job he always wanted.    I was also happy to see him leave.    There's a better chance of keeping Luck in one piece without him

Just because no one with 2 eyes and common sense has an answer as to why our bottom 2 starters (who should've been backups) were given such a long leash for 2 years, doesn't mean you should deduce that they were somehow better than those playing behind them. It just means exactly what it means; nobody knows. That question was asked by everyone all of last year, so you'll have to talk to Pagano/Pep/Grigson for the answer on that one. I think the fact that both Satele and McGlynn are now GONE, Linkenbach was snatched up early in free agency and Reitz was retained only validates my point further. If the staff felt McGlynn had further value for the team, don't you think they would've opted to re-sign him for a cheaper contract and let Reitz and others walk?...

My screen name is off-topic, totally irrelevant to the discussion. You're reaching for something, anything to counter. However, you're totally off-base on this one. Don't assume you know the reason behind my moniker, because your assumption is wrong. The only irony going on in here now is that I agree with you 100% about Bruce Arians and his time here as OC..... Which is why I was BEGGING for somebody, anybody to "HireBruceArians," so that he was no longer our offensive coordinator    :highfive2:

Back on topic, I think Reitz has a lot of potential if he can stay healthy. Which he has yet to show. I think he can be a decent backup, hopefully Louis too.

But until they both prove it, I'd prefer more talented guys starting. Thomas fits that when healthy. Still not sure about Thorton. And no one know what our center position looks like.

That makes me nervous about the interior line - again.

Back on topic, I think Reitz has a lot of potential if he can stay healthy. Which he has yet to show. I think he can be a decent backup, hopefully Louis too.

But until they both prove it, I'd prefer more talented guys starting. Thomas fits that when healthy. Still not sure about Thorton. And no one know what our center position looks like.

As well it should

Yes. The interior OL is still a big question in my mind also. We still really don't know what we have in Thomas because we saw so little of him last year. Plus a player coming back off injury is always a question mark. I'm rooting for Thornton because of what he's gone through in his life. I hope he improves this year and becomes a nice addition to the line. As far as Center goes, I don't like it but I guess all we can do is wait and see.