Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Should Be Our #1 RB

King Colt

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree wtih Joker, i was also impresssed with Delone, heck last year had it not been for the fumbles he would have become a fans choice. he is strong, and agile makes a guy miss or rolls him over. i like the idea of a 1-2 punch of ballard and carter in the future

Carter and Ballard both looked good. They could be a good 1-2 punch down the road.

i disagree. they are the same style of runner. Carter or Ballard (i think Ballard) and Brown would be an ok 1-2 punch for this year.... our "down the road" RB is probably someone not in the NFL yet

What I saw yesterday was an offensive line that finally opened some holes to run through. Not sure if that was due to the Browns incompetence or if we are actually getting better. I still like Brown because Ballard has had chances to shine in previous games and has not done so. Brown is averaging over 4 ypc while Ballard is averaging about 3. He is a good change, but I'll take Brown when he gets healthy.

Ballard shoukd get the starting job period. 84 hards yesterday and vshould power, speed and agility. He is a staright on type that is not afraid of contact. He is BETTER than Brown. Case closed.

Only for people who have been rooting against Brown for the past couple years. Vick Ballard didn't do anything Donald Brown hasn't already done this year, and he certainly didn't show himself to be better than Brown.

We just need to use all of them. There is no reason for us to just give DB all the carries when we have Ballard and Carter on our roster as well. Mix it up and use each of them in different ways. Ground and pound a bit with Carter and then throw in some plays to get DB into the open field to use his speed. Then we can hit with Ballard after that.

The NFL is no longer about a workhorse RB. It is all about the stable of RBs you have and we have three who can run. We just need to use them all.

Ballard shoukd get the starting job period. 84 hards yesterday and vshould power, speed and agility. He is a staright on type that is not afraid of contact. He is BETTER than Brown. Case closed.

I'm just glad the decision isn't in your hands. Over reactionary fan 101.

Ballard got what was there (our oline finally showed up in the run game) but rarely did he get much extra before the big run at the end. I saw multiple plays that Brown could have broke a big one with his far superior speed/acceleration, it's too bad he was injured because he could have had a huge game with that blocking.

I swear, some fans on this board would sell their soul in order to rid this team of Donald Brown.

Only for people who have been rooting against Brown for the past couple years. Vick Ballard didn't do anything Donald Brown hasn't already done this year, and he certainly didn't show himself to be better than Brown.

Agreed. All our RB's are Good & as the O-Line Improves, they'll Improve with them

I like what New England is doing with the 3 Headed Monster approach...the time of the feature back is long gone...

RB by committee is the smartest way to ensure longevity of your rb corps....I think Brown is the prototypical 3rd down back....but Ballard is an every down back and Carter makes an excellent change of pace back...he looked great yesterday....

We just need to use all of them. There is no reason for us to just give DB all the carries when we have Ballard and Carter on our roster as well. Mix it up and use each of them in different ways. Ground and pound a bit with Carter and then throw in some plays to get DB into the open field to use his speed. Then we can hit with Ballard after that.

The NFL is no longer about a workhorse RB. It is all about the stable of RBs you have and we have three who can run. We just need to use them all.

Nice post fnshow28! I can find good things and flaws in all of our backs, but I like them ALL.
  • From Andrew's first throw of the preseason until Donald Brown's injury....when given solid blocking Brown showed he has 'another gear' than I ever thought he possessed. He has also improved his pass blocking. Flaws: Dropped passes and 'some hesitance' at hitting the hole.
  • Ballard continues to run hard, and showed he can run in the open field after the catch yesterday. I am wondering aloud if Brown might not have broken that one....I like Ballard's constant movement after the hit. Flaws: Pass blocking almost got Luck killed yesterday....
  • Carter: Given up for dead after the Saints 62-7 debacle and a severe case of fumble-itis that he NEVER had at Syracuse. After 85 yds (82) against the Saints he had been oft injured and given up on. He ran with a purpose...strong on all but one 3rd down run...where he did not go north and south. Loved the effort.....no fumbles...we know that is his main flaw in the NFL...and catching passes after the big drop.
  • Mewelde Moore: Holds onto the ball...a good 3rd down back....and run north and south. Solid back-up...and pass receiver. Best pass blocking back....even knew when to take a penalty (holding) to keep Luck from getting blasted against JAX.

Arian Foster...Adrian Peterson.....every down backs....if healthy...MJD? Injured yesterday. I will be happy with our 4 backs....because the next play may indeed be next man up!!! :coltsfb::coltslogo::coltshelmet: !!!

Until Ballard can learn to pass block then he is no threat to Brown its really that simple (Ballard gave up a sack yesterday). Also if it weren't for a Sheldon Brown whiffed tackle Ballard would have had 56 yards on 19 carries and we would not be having this thread at all, good change of pass back, Maybe in the future he has the potential to start but our team (specifically our O Line) is not good enough to consistently not have a running back pass block, Brown offers that as well a home run threat and he CAN run between the tackles to, he does have 4 ypc. I absolutely love Carter and Ballards running style. But Ballard is not a starter yet with good reason

To say the day of the feature back is in the past in the NFL, I give you:

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

Chris Johnson

MJD

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Darren McFadden

I am sure there are a bunch of other teams that wished they had an Peterson, Foster, MJD, Rice, etc. to be their feature back.

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

Chris Johnson

MJD

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Darren McFadden

I am sure there are a bunch of other teams that wished they had an Peterson, Foster, MJD, Rice, etc. to be their feature back.

Some of those guys split some snaps with backup running backs on occasion, Peterson, Forte. I also bet Ray Rice is fightin mad after Baltimore abandoned the run after 9 carries

Some of those guys split some snaps with backup running backs on occasion, Peterson, Forte. I also bet Ray Rice is fightin mad after Baltimore abandoned the run after 9 carries

You are absolutely correct and when we had Edge, he split carries with others including Dominic Rhodes, but he was still our feature back. I think you're right about Rice.

Ballard got what was there (our oline finally showed up in the run game) but rarely did he get much extra before the big run at the end. I saw multiple plays that Brown could have broke a big one with his far superior speed/acceleration, it's too bad he was injured because he could have had a huge game with that blocking.

I swear, some fans on this board would sell their soul in order to rid this team of Donald Brown.

I was just about to say... minus the 26 yarder (which was completely a Browns defensive goof), Ballard would have averaged 3.05 YPC for the game.

Vick had a nice game, but it wasn't THAT good.

The Ravens have gotten away from what made them good last year. Even last year their were times when Terrell Suggs had to say publicly the offense needs to get the ball to Ray Rice. They have a bad habit of getting away from what works.

Anyone who posts on a discussion forum 'case closed' is not worthy of a response. Case closed....

Good point by Gav....still a good list by Quantum.....Lynch and Gore I would add to my small list above without hesitation...and Ray Rice....no comment on CJ since we face him next week....and McFadden if healthy is pretty darned good....Forte has Bush now......

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

Chris Johnson

MJD

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Darren McFadden

how in the world can you leave out Jamaal Charles and Lesean Mccoy

Adrian Peterson

Arian Foster

Chris Johnson

MJD

Matt Forte

Frank Gore

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Darren McFadden

and i wouldn't pay any of them serious money

Also, I'm placing a lot of the credit for the Colts running success yesterday on the improved run blocking.

Our backs yesterday were only hit behind the line of scrimmage 18% of the time. That's vastly improved from the 35-37% they've been getting every week.

It's no wonder our running game looked better yesterday....