Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run Defense Stinks

krunk

we really do! i think we need to look into an OLB and trade freeney . and an 3-4 NT

Freeney was a huge liability today. Still playing like he did in the Tampa-2. Biting on everything, undisciplined in his gaps and not holding the edge. Not giving up on him yet, but I wouldn't be upset if they trade him and upgrade at another position

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freeney isn't doing anything and like always is getting pushed back off line of scrimage. also antonio johnson has to go he just doesn't fit the 3-4. redding will improve our run d he's one of the best 3-4 de in the lg. im still concerned with the db's, hopefully irsay is trying to get revis or vontae. jets gm tannebaum can take any player off the team except luck, bethea,powers, and castonzo just give us revis.

Freeney was a huge liability today. Still playing like he did in the Tampa-2. Biting on everything, undisciplined in his gaps and not holding the edge. Not giving up on him yet, but I wouldn't be upset if they trade him and upgrade at another position

Old habits die hard. Freeney is (and always has been) undisciplined from years of poor coaching. He relies only on his natural ability (and father time is not helping that). That's not going to cut it in a defensive team strategy. So, either he works as a team member within the strategy, or does what he does with another team.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, August 26, 2012 - calling out the fans
Hidden by shecolt, August 26, 2012 - calling out the fans

I love it!! The posts this week are a 180 of the previous posts. We have gone from hope to despair. Oh Whoa is me. What are we going to do? We stinkee winkee. Shut up! You learn to crawl before you walk so you can run. New England is looking for some new fans so why dont you cry babies waddle to their corner. Maybe you can get a Tom Brady tattoo on your foreheads.

also antonio johnson has to go he just doesn't fit the 3-4.

The problem with that is we don't have anything else right now. Chapman is still recovering from his knee injury, and we're waiting to hear about the MRI on McKinney's knee injury from yesterday. It is all well and good to say someone must go, but for now he is one of just a few limited options we have. If McKinney's knee injury is severe, they'll likely have to pick up another guy just to have another body out there. Add in that on Monday we'll already need to be scraping the waiver wire for anyone that can shore us up at CB and on the O-line. I don't envy anyone in our front office right now.

As a fan it is exciting to know that our team has first choice of all the waived players and nice to dream a bit about what we may be able to pick up. At the same time, we also need to remember these are other team's castoffs. Unfortunately, with the way this league has shifted emphasis to the pass every team is looking for better o-line men to protect thier QBs and for more depth at CB.

Sorry to everyone for the rambling,

Some things might be cleaned up, but there's also people getting bulldozed out of their gap assignments. It seems we aren't a fast team. If nobody sets the edge, they get outside and cut up for big gains. I'm hoping we are still vanilla in D and O plays and sets, and we'll be better come regular season.

Its funy to hear alot of people Immediatley want to say that fleener is a dissapointment. We need to be real here folks, were only 3 games into PRESEASON! has he really been targeted that much?? NO!!! And when he has been its not like he has been dropping every single one of them. Now I know he has dropped a couple and had some easy drops in practice but he also has shown some good things as well and there is definatley alot of talent there. Like some have said he is still trying to learn and is probably just thinking too much. Once he gets the offense down and gets comfortable with it on the field, and the game starts coming to him naturally again then we will see the Coby Fleener we all heard about pre draft. There is just alot of assuming going on and just immediatley sticking a Label to someone who is new to the NFL, hasn't had alot of playing time and Not been thrown to alot. Doesnt make alot of sense or really seem fair to me. Give him the first 6 to 8 reg season games with efficient plassing time and Ill bet we see him start to come alive slowly but surley.

We need to do something about this!!!

well there is speculation that the bears could waive urlacher by september 8th to save 7.5 million that they would have to owe him if he suited up for the first game. why not the colts try to sign him for a year or two? him and angerer in the middle would be pretty crazy. could improve the run defense alittle also. just a thought is all

Its funy to hear alot of people Immediatley want to say that fleener is a dissapointment. We need to be real here folks, were only 3 games into PRESEASON! has he really been targeted that much?? NO!!! And when he has been its not like he has been dropping every single one of them. Now I know he has dropped a couple and had some easy drops in practice but he also has shown some good things as well and there is definatley alot of talent there. Like some have said he is still trying to learn and is probably just thinking too much. Once he gets the offense down and gets comfortable with it on the field, and the game starts coming to him naturally again then we will see the Coby Fleener we all heard about pre draft. There is just alot of assuming going on and just immediatley sticking a Label to someone who is new to the NFL, hasn't had alot of playing time and Not been thrown to alot. Doesnt make alot of sense or really seem fair to me. Give him the first 6 to 8 reg season games with efficient plassing time and Ill bet we see him start to come alive slowly but surley.

in my opinion i think he is feeling pressure. the colts draft him then turn around and draft allan in the 3rd round. two of the best TE's in the draft get drafted by the same team will put pressure on atleast one of them. i believe by mid season he will be a big threat along with allan.

in my opinion i think he is feeling pressure. the colts draft him then turn around and draft allan in the 3rd round. two of the best TE's in the draft get drafted by the same team will put pressure on atleast one of them. i believe by mid season he will be a big threat along with allan.

I think he's just playing like a rookie and that looks bad because Luck and Allen look ahead of the curve. If Luck and Allen were playing like rookies I don't think we would notice that Fleener isn't doing as well as we would like as much. I just don't think Fleener is comfortable yet. I know he was one of the guys in aww in terms of how quickly Luck was picking things up which tells me he isn't picking things up as fast and also remember Fleener was the last rookie signed although I don't think he missed much time he would be behind the other rookies even if only slightly. I think you are right as the season goes along I think Fleener will become more comfortable and will be the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him.

So many new names and faces.

So many old problems.

That's thing when you look at the "run" defense (which most people would call the front seven) there aren't many new faces. Redding and McKinney are the only new ones and McKinney is now hurt and Redding has been hurt as well. i guess you could say Freeman is a new face but he's only playing due to injury to Angerer. It's a new system but it's the same guys who couldn't stop the run last year which doesn't shock me that they can't stop the run now this is why I said the defense was a concern after the first pre-season and got blasted for it.

We haven't been able to run the ball for 4 or 5 years.

And Run D has been a problem for longer. (Visions of Cato June riding MJD for 375)

three years on the run the ball front but it sure feels like longer!

The ironic thing about the 375 team is that in the playoffs they became run stuffing monsters lol. You know if you look at MJD's numbers he's had a nice little career vs. the Colts alone. I wont be sad when he does retire and I mean that in a respectful way.

Honestly I think Fleener will come around. To me he's doing a lot of thinking out there.

I remember Reggie Waynes' rookie year I thought he sucked too, but he got better as he

learned and grew in the offense. Right now though he looks like Ben Utecht

sure do hope so, he looked like a real stud at stanford.

well there is speculation that the bears could waive urlacher by september 8th to save 7.5 million that they would have to owe him if he suited up for the first game. why not the colts try to sign him for a year or two? him and angerer in the middle would be pretty crazy. could improve the run defense alittle also. just a thought is all

Urlacher is wearing down and that would be a total scheme switch for him. I doubt we would get him.

The colts have not bought in any veterans who are up in age. Almost everyone they have signed

are relatively young players. They haven't signed anyone that has been in the league for a while.

sure do hope so, he looked like a real stud at stanford.

He'll get there. We've already seen he has good hands other than that tight end screen he dropped.

He just needs to get the mental and technique side of the game down and he'll be good. Watch and see!

Right now, Allen is ahead of him in his comfort level in the scheme and you can see it. Fleener will get there.

I just finished watching the game on dvd. Pausing it and in slow motion.

Fili Moala was terrible.

He gives us no pass rush. And he stinks against the run.

No way he should be starting, And I think he wouldnt even be missed if he were released.

I have felt Moala stinks for a while now!!!! Hopefully I'll see him as a roster cut

I have felt Moala stinks for a while now!!!! Hopefully I'll see him as a roster cut

Jason Shirley is 345 lbs and is quick off the line and pushes the blocker backwards. Shirley can play both DE and Nose.

Colts should give him a chance and let Fili go.

I also am hoping they keep Chigbo Anunoby who has looked promising.

I still don't get the hate on Antonio Johnson...I haven't watched the full Skins game yet but in the part I did watch I saw him hold his point and occupy blockers just like he did in the first 2 games. In fact I distinctly remember one play early on where he fought through a double team and got to the running back. the announcers claimed that Moala made the tackle but in the replay it was clearly AJ who had made the play.

I'm still unsure on Moala but I'm not that high on Matthews. I'd like to see Aiano and Shirley get some more playing time to see if they can be an upgrade over Matthews/Moala against first stringers. Likely not but worth a look.

Inside LB is the problem in a 3 /4 inside backer must HAVE SIZE & STRENGHT TO FILL the holes take on guards & stuff the play we don't have ANY LB's fitting that bill al all! untill we do we will get gased by the run!

The inside linebackers were not the problem in the run game on Saturday. The problem was with our outside backers, namely Freeney and Hughes, either not setting the edge or overpursuing. Moala and Mathews also got pushed back a little too much. I don't know why people hate AJ so much; he's played fine in every game. But if the ends and the outside backers don't keep the play contained, there's gonna be problems.

Thats the only thing I could think of when you said that

That's exactly what we did in the Skins game. "Let them off the Hook" smh. They wiped the field with us. Yeah, we had injuries to Mathis, Angerer, & Redding....but it's the "Next Man Up". No reason for a 3rd or 4th string RB to EVER make your Defense look like they play high school football.

Players who NEED to be CUT:

Moala

Johnson

& as much as it pains me to say this one..... Freeney may have to leave if he can't get with the program