Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordy to the Indianapolis Colts for an undisclosed pick

spoonfish

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it this way: Is he as good as a CB drafted in the later rounds might be? If so, then we just drafted a CB with a late round pick in 2014, and we get him today. Better yet, he has already made a few plays in the NFL. The opportunity cost is whatever upside that pick might have, but it is hard to assume more upside that what Gordy has, and it would certainly appear that Gordy has less downside since he has already made a roster and shown the ability to get on the field with some production.

Very well said! :thmup:

We don't have as 7 rounder, so its probably a 6th rounder, right? So we don't have a 5 , 6, or 7.

Don't forget that we will be given compensatory picks for the FA's signed in the offseason by other teams. There were a few of those.

The pick is in 2014 and apparently Grigson thought he was good enough to give up a pick 2 yrs. away for him. How do you know he won't turn into a really good player for us? I think people are forgetting just how much cap space we have next season. In the big picture a late rd. pick in 2014 probably won't have much bearing on where we'll be 2 yrs. from now. With all the cap room we'll have, we will probably be right back in the mix next season.

Honestly i dont think cap hit is a problem at all im guesing he is not taking a lot of cap space.

im saying we need all your picks, and Griggson kinda proved with this draft that he is a good talent evaluator, so why he get less chances on soemthing that it seems to me its one of his strengths.

look im not saying he is gonna suck, the guy might be better than we have but Powers I am saying we have probably used too many future picks looking kinda desperate with secondary and OL, we should have taken a CB then past draft. but I didnt know it was a 2014 pick not a 2013 so its probably not as bad. im thinking we probably gave a 5th rounder if the rams were willing to give it a way for a pick in 2 years.

Of course I am glad Griggson is not standing by knowing our secondary sucks, and i certainly hope this kid turn out to be a surprise.

Honestly i dont think cap hit is a problem at all im guesing he is not taking a lot of cap space.

im saying we need all your picks, and Griggson kinda proved with this draft that he is a good talent evaluator, so why he get less chances on soemthing that it seems to me its one of his strengths.

look im not saying he is gonna suck, the guy might be better than we have but Powers I am saying we have probably used too many future picks looking kinda desperate with secondary and OL, we should have taken a CB then past draft. but I didnt know it was a 2014 pick not a 2013 so its probably not as bad. im thinking we probably gave a 5th rounder if the rams were willing to give it a way for a pick in 2 years.

Of course I am glad Griggson is not standing by knowing our secondary sucks, and i certainly hope this kid turn out to be a surprise.

I get what you're saying, but what I'm saying is, that with the cap room we have we can bring in many upgrades next season and our draft picks won't be nearly as important as they were this yr.. Not that draft picks don't mean anything, but this yr. we needed as much help as we could get through the draft but 2 yrs. from now our roster is going to be a lot more solid and stable.

Hey everyone. New member, and love all the info. I was looking at the conditional pick also and thinking how it affects are draft picks next year. I agree I don't like giving up the late round draft picks but so far I trust in Grigson, and if it is conditional, I am OK with it. What I wanted to address was everyone saying we don't have a 5,6,or 7 pick next year. Remember, we will be getting supplementary picks for our Free Agents which were signed, and from what I can tell, at worst we should get a 4th, 6th, and 7th and possibly a 3rd, 5th, and 7th. From looking at Wikipedia, and how supplementary picks worth is decided, one of the main factors is how much money was paid to them. Garcon was given 8M a year, which may be worth a 3rd, but definitely a 4th. Saturday will be worth a 5th or 6th and Tamme will be worth a 7th. Each one of these FA's will give us a supplemental pick. There are other deciding factors, but what they signed for seems like the biggest influence. Were any other FA's signed that anyone can think of?

Glad to be a part of the board, and Luck looks great!!!!!!

John

I believe the round as well as the amount of money influences the pick. So Garcon would get us a 6th round pick. We would get nothing for Saturday and even though Tamme was a 4th we would get a 7th for him based on the money. Clark was signed but we cut him outright. Maybe we get something for Polack.

First, Larry Lumpking Linebacker needs to go to the Lions. Alliterations are a good time.

Second, The Colts need all the starting quality depth at CB that can be had, so I can't be against this move.

Lions Linebacker Larry Lumpkin haha

I'll say this the later rounds of the draft have been good to the Colts (Bethea, Conner, McAfee, Mathews.) With that said most 6th and 7th round picks turn our more like Curtis Painter or Ray Fisher (who didn't make the team) than the guys i mentioned above. So I think what you are seeing Grigson doing with the later round picks is say he'd rather trade them for guys who have NFL experience and are known products than have a guy who might very well not make the roster and odds are even if he does probably not have a major impact on the team.

Your over reaching with most of the guys on this list only Bethea and Mathis are true play makers, and Conner is on his way to becoming one but let the other guys actually make it through a season before you rank them on this list. And the whole point of FA and UDFA are to fill the gaps that the draft doesn't, get your panties out of a bunch and again let Grigson do his job

When 2014 rolls around, I cant wait for everyone on here to ask who is Josh Gordy, and D.J Johnson, and why did we we give up draft picks on these players who are out of the league. Morgaging our future on marginal players is not the way to build a longtime winner.

When 2014 rolls around, I cant wait for everyone on here to ask who is Josh Gordy, and D.J Johnson, and why did we we give up draft picks on these players who are out of the league. Morgaging our future on marginal players is not the way to build a longtime winner.

If you know nothing about them then you shouldn't say they'll be out of the league by 2014. Do some research. Gordy had 55 tackles 5 passes defensed and 3 INTs last year. He's still improving.

D.J. Johnson is a freebie - we traded Ogbu for him. The 7th rounder was given up for Fokou and Lloyd.

I'm not willing to question this move...the Rams wanted to make upgrades on their Secondary...they picked CB's really high, they were going to be the starters, period. Gordy wasn't a bad CB he was the 3rd CB from a few accounts and apparently we don't have the proper personnel if Grigson still looking for CB's...I'm thinking the plan is to pick up another Guard off of the Waiver Wire...because thats the next area of concern....

im not sure what the fuss is about. word is, the guy is AT LEAST our 3 CB and probably our 2 CB. even if we gave up a 4th round pick in 2014... who cares. i would be thrilled to get a CB in the 4th who can be our #2......

I get what you're saying, but what I'm saying is, that with the cap room we have we can bring in many upgrades next season and our draft picks won't be nearly as important as they were this yr.. Not that draft picks don't mean anything, but this yr. we needed as much help as we could get through the draft but 2 yrs. from now our roster is going to be a lot more solid and stable.

Especially back end draft picks.

I think the kid might be ok. I think this is a case of Fisher wanting to get "his" guys on the field and chances to play. We all know coaches have favorites or show favoritism. Its just a fact....look at all the Eagles/Ravens already on the team lol. This kid got demoted due to them bringing in a new regime and new players. Sure he isn't a pro bowler so perhaps he hasn't shown all the skills and its hard when you are a starter and they go out and bring in a pro bowl caliber vet cb and a 2nd round highly touted rookie.

New city, new team, new opportunities. King has looked better than I expected...perhaps this kid will too.

If the GM feels that it makes the team better do it...people are making way to much out of these draft picks. Not accounting for possible supplemental picks or trades that will likely occur when the draft actually happens. We need dept at a lot of positions and i think its nice to add some people who have actually played and made plays in the league. He appears to have a lot of upside and could flourish in this DEF. People knocked Polian for not being active in the off-season or before the trade deadlines to improve team. Now the GM is active and people are pitching fits about it. Just chill out and see how this shakes out.

We don't have as 7 rounder, so its probably a 6th rounder, right? So we don't have a 5 , 6, or 7.

correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be receiving some comp. picks for the players we cut this off-season who signed with other teams? Seems like that might be where we will get a 5th 6th and 7th...

correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be receiving some comp. picks for the players we cut this off-season who signed with other teams? Seems like that might be where we will get a 5th 6th and 7th...

Yeah, but we won't know for sure until after the season, right?

This kid is probably already better than everybody else we have at CB right now(with the exception of Powers). 3 picks in 9 games. We may have just got a steal, not sure why anybody would have a problem with this trade. Grigson is all business and constantly looking to improve the talent level on this team. How could you not like that? Ignorance really is bliss, I guess.

I'm not willing to question this move...the Rams wanted to make upgrades on their Secondary...they picked CB's really high, they were going to be the starters, period. Gordy wasn't a bad CB he was the 3rd CB from a few accounts and apparently we don't have the proper personnel if Grigson still looking for CB's...I'm thinking the plan is to pick up another Guard off of the Waiver Wire...because thats the next area of concern....

a guard is the least of our concerns, seth olsen and reitz are doing just find. the next area of concern should be nt because antonio johnson isn't getting the job done.

Yeah, but we won't know for sure until after the season, right?

correct

Nope. You don't receive compensatory draft picks for players that you release. Only for unrestricted free agents that sign with other teams. And only if those players are given pretty significant contracts or have really good seasons with their new teams. The only players I think would qualify would be Garcon, Tamme, Pollak, Saturday, and maybe Wheeler.

The other consideration is that the players you lose have to outweigh the players you gain in free agency. So, in our case, the departing players have to be better than the guys like Redding, Zbikowski, Avery, etc., that we signed. I think we'll probably get a pick for Garcon. Anything else is gravy.

a guard is the least of our concerns, seth olsen and reitz are doing just find. the next area of concern should be nt because antonio johnson isn't getting the job done.

I think guard is one of our biggest concerns. And I think AJ has done a good job so far this preseason.

He's just a camp body, nothing major.

However, I did say that about DJ Johnson, and look how he's doing.

Grigson said he doesn't believe in camp bodies. I can't imagine he'd trade for a player that doesn't have a reasonable chance of making the team, not two weeks before the season starts.

Grigson said he doesn't believe in camp bodies. I can't imagine he'd trade for a player that doesn't have a reasonable chance of making the team, not two weeks before the season starts.

Well, if he has a chance to make it at any spot, his best bet would be the cornerback spot.

Let's see how he does.