Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

FightLikeSin

Before last night's game, I didn't have him making the team. Not because he wasn't good, but because we already have too many smaller receivers.

With Collie's likely concussion, the Colts will take major precautions as last nights injury would make 4 total concussions. Whalen did a great job last night catching 4 passes for 59 yards and a TD.

Since Whalen arrived, I've always seen him as Collie 2.0. I think LaVon Brazill has been impressive enough to be the #2 in Collie's absence, but I think Whalen's chances of making the team have increased ten fold.

I was going to start a thread about Griff. I thought he played fantastic and honestly thought he displayed better hands/route running skills than Hilton, but that may have had something to do with the second/third stringers being in, but still, Whalen looked pretty sure handed. Would love to see him make the team.

I was actually pleased to see Griff do well with both Stanton and Harnish. We all know what he can do with Luck, and I'd rather see Luck working on his chemistry with the guys he didn't know in college. IMO Griff was the most reliable skill position player on the field for the Colts in the 2nd half.

Another unfortunate circumstance for Collie, I feel more bad for him than I feel good about Whalen

Agreed. Collie is such a hard worker, and really started to come on as a leader in the locker room. I hope it's not another concussion, but if it is, he needs to think about his life after football and consider hanging them up. This unfortunate string of injuries couldn't have happened to a more undeserving individual (not that I wish injury on anyone, but you know what I mean)

My prayers go out to him and his family

I still think the chances of him making the final 53 are slim to none. If, on the other hand Collie's concussion is serious and he misses significant time, then his chances are a little better.

Good perspective. As of today, he is probably still behind Adams, Cosby and Ross - thus cut. Ross and Adams, in particular add something that he can't compete with phyisically. Whalen on the other hand may add something that none of the others can compete with - a knack for getting open and catching passes. If this were to become a consistent trait, then it is clear that there is space for someone who brings that if Collie is out.... as that quality is the #1 thing Collie has brought to the table - the Wes Welker quality. Not suggesting Whalen has it at the NFL level, but he sure looked crafty last night.

Whalen showed good hands as well, I'd like to see Whalen in with Luck playing the slot to see how he does but Im still not to the point that I am putting him on the practice squad over Kris Adams but as for Cosby hes as good as cut, he hasnt shown much, as was expected to be honest, he hasnt ever been a receiving threat

Whalen gets down quicker than Collie. That is how Wes Welker, despite being targeted so many times, has avoided more shots to the upper body or head, by getting down real fast. I do think Collie's biggest issue is he is upright more often after the catch. Playing the slot, that is a dangerous thing to do.

Even if Collie is on the roster, I dont see why Whalen cannot make it as a 6th WR, especially if we carry only 3 TEs. Collie might be the reason we may carry a 6th WR.

I think you'll get to see that Saturday.

I dont think he can take the pounding though thats my concern, I'd much rather see a big tall Kris Adams type receiver in the slot given how we have used our slot receivers this far. Decisions Decisions, cant forget Brazill either or Hilton

Whalen has gotten HUGE!!!!! And he definitely could make the Final 53 or PS. But he did show out last night. It shocked me. Looking like a TE in Size, but he was moving out there. I loved that Stick & Go route he ran. Just Beautiful

Yeah, for some reason I thought he was a small guy, but he looked like a TE last night to me too. I was impressed.

This is what I have been seeing with Whalen his last year at Stanford. He's a sturdier Collie. They play the same on the field, plus he's cheaper. I do hope everything is ok with Collie though. Such a promising player.

Man, Collie's talent is getting sold way short on this thread. He's at least a level above Whalen when it comes to skill and athleticism.

Whalen ain't Collie any more than Blair White was.

He was small at Stanford. I don't know what Pagano & Co. did to him, but that's not the same Griff Whalen I seen at Stanford lol

TK....

If you're saying Whalen's talent has gotten 'bigger'... fine.

But if you're saying Whalen's body has gotten bigger.... not so sure about that....

I don't think he's got the frame to carry very much weight. I doubt anyone who knows him would ever think to call him HUGE. At his pro day, he was 5'11" and 185.

Hey, just sayin....

TK....

But if you're saying Whalen's body has gotten bigger.... not so sure about that....

I don't think he's got the frame to carry very much weight. I doubt anyone who knows him would ever think to call him HUGE. At his pro day, he was 5'11" and 185.

Hey, just sayin....

I said he looked bigger than he did at Stanford. A lot of us thought he was TE. Don't remember him being that big. Maybe it was his pads or the TV

TK....

Hey, just sayin....

NCF...TK was saying that his body has gotten bigger. Whalen looked noticeably bigger in last nights game. He's definitely added a lot of muscle.

NCF...TK was saying that his body has gotten bigger. Whalen looked noticeably bigger in last nights game. He's definitely added a lot of muscle.

When I commented on it, it wasn't about muscle. For whatever reason, several times last night, when he caught a pass, I thought it was to one of the TEs, because he just looked bigger than I would have assumed for a WR. It may have just been that the backs covering him were even smaller...

I can't speak for what TK meant, but I was a little startled by the impression that he looked bigger last night than I expected, given what I saw of him in college and on Luck's pro day.

I see more Blair White 2.0 than I do Collie 2.0. He's nowhere near as good as Collie, and is likely a bit better than White.

Blair White?? that's kind of an insult don't you think FJC? Whalen isn't that Bad. He's no Collie 2.0 either, but he's not a Blair White. I don't think Whalen would ever step in front of a pass intended for the Vet Reggie lol. But Whalen is somewhere in the middle of those 2. That's more suitable

Blair White?? that's kind of an insult don't you think FJC? Whalen isn't that Bad. He's no Collie 2.0 either, but he's not a Blair White. I don't think Whalen would ever step in front of a pass intended for the Vet Reggie lol. But Whalen is somewhere in the middle of those 2. That's more suitable

Why? White and Whalen were both undrafted free agents, more of a fair comparison than comparing him to Collie, unless the goal is to insult Collie.

Blair White made a mistake, he was forced into playing in real games when he likely shouldn't be. If Whalen makes the team and has to do the same then I could easily see him make the same mistake.

As I said, he's a bit better than White, but he's not on Collie's level.

I'm evaluating in terms of potential. it's a little hard to name someone Blair White 2.0 off of 4 catches.

Even then I don't see Collie like potential, but wouldn't be equally hard to name someone Austin Collie 2.00 off of those same 4 catches? Just sayin.

Blair White got some things done for this team.... It's not an insult to compare Whalen to White.

Why? White and Whalen were both undrafted free agents, more of a fair comparison than comparing him to Collie, unless the goal is to insult Collie.

Blair White made a mistake, he was forced into playing in real games when he likely shouldn't be. If Whalen makes the team and has to do the same then I could easily see him make the same mistake.

As I said, he's a bit better than White, but he's not on Collie's level.

Well yeah he's not. Collie is just Collie lol. But he's better than White. I think the kid has the potential (if he uses it) to become a Brandon Stokley type for us maybe

I though Whalen looked big too. He made some tough catches and looked to me like he wasn't afraid of the defense. I like Collie too, but I like a guy on the field even more. I hope Austin is alright, but I agree that he probably needs to consider another career. Injury prone isn't really the word for it. He has knocked his brain loose, and it will never be better than it was before. It is a shame, because he is a very talented and fearless young man, but he needs to be smart too! I don't know if Whalen will make the team or not, but after last night, and the way he was eager to punish his pursuers, I'd like to see him there. I thought he played tough, and caught about anything thrown at him, right in the defenses face. That in itself gives you some indication as to the mental toughness the guy has. He took a few good licks too, and just kept after it. I like the guy, and I am thrilled at how the team played last night. I love our Colts! GO COLTS!!!

Even then I don't see Collie like potential, but wouldn't be equally hard to name someone Austin Collie 2.00 off of those same 4 catches? Just sayin.

There's the difference between our arguments. I'm not naming him Collie 2.0 off of his production, I'm giving my take on his future potential. I watched him at Stanford, I've watched him at training camp and now I've seen him catch 4 passes and show great route running ability and good hands in the process. With that evaluation I think he has potential to be as serviceable as Austin Collie as a reliable slot receiver. He isn't there yet obviously...which is the difference between our two points. Right now I consider him Griff Whalen 1.0 in regards to your side of the story...because that's where he stands. Potential? Austin Collie 2.0 is his high-water mark.

There's the difference between our arguments. I'm not naming him Collie 2.0 off of his production, I'm giving my take on his future potential. I watched him at Stanford, I've watched him at training camp and now I've seen him catch 4 passes and show great route running ability and good hands in the process. With that evaluation I think he has potential to be as serviceable as Austin Collie as a reliable slot receiver. He isn't there yet obviously...which is the difference between our two points. Right now I consider him Griff Whalen 1.0 in regards to your side of the story...because that's where he stands. Potential? Austin Collie 2.0 is his high-water mark.

That's mighty high praise off of 4 catches..

Well yeah he's not. Collie is just Collie lol. But he's better than White. I think the kid has the potential (if he uses it) to become a Brandon Stokley type for us maybe

I'm not certain he is that much better than White. He has one thing going for him White didn't. Experience with the quarterback.

Stokley? Seriously? Interesting.

Going to take more then 1 game for him to make the Cuts and I personally dont see him making them to many other players can offer what he does. a slot receiver, I see us keeping 5 receivers on the active roster not 6 but I see 1-2 wide receivers on the practice squad