Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

FightLikeSin

That's mighty high praise off of 4 catches..

I don't feel like I'm giving praise as much as I'm just stating what happened last night. If you saw different footage where he didn't catch 4 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown and look good doing it...we saw different games I guess. It's just my opinion on his potential. Seeing someone as Austin Collie 2.0 isn't the same as calling someone Jerry Rice 2.0 which is what I feel like I'm being called for lol. Didn't think Austin Collie was as big of a superstar to warrant such a reaction.

I'm not certain he is that much better than White. He has one thing going for him White didn't. Experience with the quarterback.

Stokley? Seriously? Interesting.

I mean that's just my Opinion of it. With him having chemistry with Luck, I'm sure he has more potential than people give him credit, But once again, this is just my opinion of it

I don't feel like I'm giving praise as much as I'm just stating what happened last night. If you saw different footage where he didn't catch 4 passes for 59 yards and a touchdown and look good doing it...we saw different games I guess. It's just my opinion on his potential. Seeing someone as Austin Collie 2.0 isn't the same as calling someone Jerry Rice 2.0 which is what I feel like I'm being called for lol. Didn't think Austin Collie was as big of a superstar to warrant such a reaction.

He had a good game against guys that likely will be in the same position as he will be. Meaning practice squad at best.

Again, i see more Blair White than I see Austin Collie. I certainly don't see Brandon Stokley or Wes Welker(which would be more inline with the Rice 2.0 comment).

I just see White as more of a fair comparison, and potential is just potential until it is realized.

He had a good game against guys that likely will be in the same position as he will be. Meaning practice squad at best.

Again, i see more Blair White than I see Austin Collie. I certainly don't see Brandon Stokley or Wes Welker(which would be more inline with the Rice 2.0 comment).

I just see White as more of a fair comparison, and potential is just potential until it is realized.

ok...

That's your take. I think he showed a lot of great skill regardless of the competition and the "Stanford Connection" as it were, will probably work in his favor when it comes to the final cuts. That's my take.

Whalen gets down quicker than Collie. That is how Wes Welker, despite being targeted so many times, has avoided more shots to the upper body or head, by getting down real fast. I do think Collie's biggest issue is he is upright more often after the catch. Playing the slot, that is a dangerous thing to do.

Even if Collie is on the roster, I dont see why Whalen cannot make it as a 6th WR, especially if we carry only 3 TEs. Collie might be the reason we may carry a 6th WR.

You hit the name..Chad..Wes Welker.....Griff is a poor man's welker....

And Collie is a solid pro....with great hands....but he's got to seriously consider whether he wants to contine to play in the NFL.

..and I would not blame him one bit if he decide that he needed to retire. I would.

So here's my concern about the Colts' receivers, in general: yesterday's game had the Steeler DBs bumping, holding, and practically tackling our smallish WRs to keep them from breaking free. It reminded me of a certain playoff game years ago in the north east, after which the league changed some rules. If Ds are allowed to play that way against the Colts, the team may really need to field some larger, stronger options (besides the TEs). If that means Ross and/or Fayson need to be given more consideration, who gets cut in their place?

So here's my concern about the Colts' receivers, in general: yesterday's game had the Steeler DBs bumping, holding, and practically tackling our smallish WRs to keep them from breaking free. It reminded me of a certain playoff game years ago in the north east, after which the league changed some rules. If Ds are allowed to play that way against the Colts, the team may really need to field some larger, stronger options (besides the TEs). If that means Ross and/or Fayson need to be given more consideration, who gets cut in their place?

Those were supposed to be Penalties, but due to the Replacement Refs....they allowed it. It was terrible missed calls that game. We don't need to get bigger receivers just because the replacements don't know that the person has to have the ball before be tackled

I was just joking. I enjoy reading your comments and enjoy debating. S'all good.

Same here... He might take this opportunity and turn it into a decent little career. The connection with Luck can only help. I'm not sure if Grigson/Pagano would ever turn to a player or much less a rookie and see input but if they do if it, is Whalen vs. a comparable player then Luck's input or in the very least the Stanford connection has to be a bit of a trump card.

Even Reggie was a victim of these plays. I credit more of it to replacement refs missing the call than anything else. But to your point, do we need bigger receivers? Yes. I'm a supporter of drafting Robert Woods next year. We need a Calvin or Andre Johnson so Luck can just heave it up in the air and they'll go get it. :)

Same here... He might take this opportunity and turn it into a decent little career. The connection with Luck can only help. I'm not sure if Grigson/Pagano would ever turn to a player or much less a rookie and see input but if they do if it, is Whalen vs. a comparable player then Luck's input or in the very least the Stanford connection has to be a bit of a trump card.

I think at this point, like you said it's too early to call it anything too small or too big. Just have to wait and see. It's just my 2 cents on what I feel his potential could bring.