Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

About all those interceptions?

NewColtsFan

I don't know what happened...... reports here that Luck threw two picks and had two *other* picks dropped today.

Well, I went on-line at the Indystar website.... and in three separate stories about Luck's day (and the stories were all about Luck and not really about the Colts) there was no mention of interceptions or dropped interceptions..... at least none that I saw....

Now, I'm not familiar with the Indianapolis Star. I think it's got a pretty good reputation. I don't know if they're a homer-type newspaper that might bury unpopular news.... dunno?

But all three stories were simply glowing about Luck.... rave reviews....

So, color me happy for Andrew's first day..... the first of many.....

Who cares if they were interceptions or not..all I know is that one was in Kevin Thomas hands but dropped and one was intercepted by Zbiskowsi but he didn't hold on when he hit the ground diving for it. Miscomunication on a pass intended for Collie but wayne cut in front of collie and tipped it.And he also had a couple passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

"He had a miscommunication on a pass pattern with Wayne that led to a throw that landed in cornerback Kevin Thomas’ hands before wiggling free and falling harmlessly to the ground. He also put too much air under a deep pass intended for Wayne over the middle that was saved from being intercepted only by safety Tom Zbikowski’s collision with the ground."

"Yes, he threw one up for grabs down the middle of the field during 11-on-11 drills. He had a couple balls batted down at the line, too."

http://m.heraldbulletin.com/thb/pm_104142/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Ov8xkkmT

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d829c8223/

No QB going to be 33-33 in practice calm down he had a solid first practice and had a few miscommunications.he is getting his timing down..people just blow up everything this man does like they are waiting on him to turn water into wine.it's just his first practice.

Who cares if they were interceptions or not..all I know is that one was in Kevin Thomas hands but dropped and one was intercepted by Zbiskowsi but he didn't hold on when he hit the ground diving for it. Miscomunication on a pass intended for Collie but wayne cut in front of collie and tipped it.And he also had a couple passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.

"He had a miscommunication on a pass pattern with Wayne that led to a throw that landed in cornerback Kevin Thomas’ hands before wiggling free and falling harmlessly to the ground. He also put too much air under a deep pass intended for Wayne over the middle that was saved from being intercepted only by safety Tom Zbikowski’s collision with the ground."

"Yes, he threw one up for grabs down the middle of the field during 11-on-11 drills. He had a couple balls batted down at the line, too."

http://m.heraldbulle...ntguid=Ov8xkkmT

http://m.nfl.com/new...000d5d829c8223/

No QB going to be 33-33 in practice calm down he had a solid first practice and had a few miscommunications.he is getting his timing down..people just blow up everything this man does like they are waiting on him to turn water into wine.it's just his first practice.

Who's not calm? Who's blowing anything up? I was just wondering where the reporting of these events was? Actually, I just found it.... over on ESPN.com..... no mention of actual interceptions, but word of the two dropped ones that you note...

So, the did exist.... I'm a media guy.... I was just finding it odd to read all of these stories that made no mention of it.... glad you found the stories... I found one too...

No big deal. No fuss. No one losing their cool. No one blowing anything up.... everything's fine.... as you said, it's Luck's first practice...

Who's not calm? Who's blowing anything up? I was just wondering where the reporting of these events was? Actually, I just found it.... over on ESPN.com..... no mention of actual interceptions, but word of the two dropped ones that you note...

So, the did exist.... I'm a media guy.... I was just finding it odd to read all of these stories that made no mention of it.... glad you found the stories... I found one too...

No big deal. No fuss. No one losing their cool. No one blowing anything up.... everything's fine.... as you said, it's Luck's first practice...

No not you I was just reading the other threads and reading those post on this minicamp practice

It's not a good sign that he had two almost interceptions, and less than 60% completion... After all there's that saying...

"If you're slightly disappointing on your first ever practice with an entirely new set of people who you've no chemistry or timing with yet and a whole new playbook you've only just been given, then you'll be destined to fail." He's a bust, folks, lock it up.

I read on the Indystar website, a blog by Kravitz I think, that the other 2 QBs were picked... Total of 3 interceptions. Luck was nearly picked off twice from what his report said.

Maybe that's where the reports of interceptions came from? Either way, I am excited to see Luck practice today!!

Exactly! And it is early. Even PM had Champ Bailey snag a pick 6 early in their OTA's. Nobody is immune, especially rookie QB's, No matter the potential level.

Let me guess....it was a slant route to his left. Lol.....gotta laugh cuz it still stings many years later.

About all those interceptions? Couldn't care less. It's June 13th...Next thread!

no doubt...it's his 1st real practice with the whole team. If he went out and completed every pass without issue, I'd guess it would say more about our DB's then about Luck.

Luck will have good days and bad as the season goes on....I wouldn't waste a second of thought about his performance in a June mini-camp.

http://m.heraldbulle...ntguid=Ov8xkkmT

http://m.nfl.com/new...000d5d829c8223/

Two really good and informative articles. I'm sorry, but the stories in the RATS (oops, I mean the STAR) are often filled with opinion and unnecessary drama. And then there are still all of those articles about Peyton Manning .... Jeeze! Most days there are two articles in the RATS that are basically the same article. The Colts stories in the Trib are so much better, it's a shame. I really don't want to hear the opinions of Phillip Wilson or Gladys Kravitz. Just tell me what happened at practice (good and bad) and give me some quotes from the players and coaches. That's how real sports reporting is done.

Wasn't that his 1st time throwing a Pro Football with the ENTIRE Team? I don't think it's that Bad. It's only bad if we get to the LAST Week of the Pre-Season, & that's still happening. But I have Faith in Luck. Not asking him to be like Peyton, I just want him to be Him. That's when he'll become more Comfortable as a Colt

ok everyone calm down lol. its only training camp. if the season were startin this weekend then you can worry alittle. but its not. remember Luck has not practiced with any of these guys until yesterday. bad communication among them is going to happen. the vets are trying to get back into the swing of things, and the rookies are trying to get use to the fast paced NFL playing.

I don't know what happened...... reports here that Luck threw two picks and had two *other* picks dropped today.

Well, I went on-line at the Indystar website.... and in three separate stories about Luck's day (and the stories were all about Luck and not really about the Colts) there was no mention of interceptions or dropped interceptions..... at least none that I saw....

Now, I'm not familiar with the Indianapolis Star. I think it's got a pretty good reputation. I don't know if they're a homer-type newspaper that might bury unpopular news.... dunno?

This is a new team playing together for the first time. I could not care less about a few picks at this point! That is why they call it practice!!!

It's not a good sign that he had two almost interceptions, and less than 60% completion... After all there's that saying...

"If you're slightly disappointing on your first ever practice with an entirely new set of people who you've no chemistry or timing with yet and a whole new playbook you've only just been given, then you'll be destined to fail." He's a bust, folks, lock it up.

LOL!! :)

We talkin' about PRACTICE. Not a game...not a game...PRACTICE. What are we talkin' about?Practice? -Allen Iverson

^^^^ :D

Why did someone make a thread about interceptions in PRACTICE????? I bet he threw 20 touchdowns too--IN PRACTICE lmao

Gettin bored waiting for the season I imagine

Luck is going to throw interceptions this year...its a given. Why is this even a thread. Are we going to nit pick every practice this year. Once games start then we can debate or give opinions of his game but this is ridiculous. He isn't going to be a savior over night. Its going to take a lot of work...a lot of help...and a few years before we should expect him to be an elite qb.

He threw what...8 ints his sophmore and 10 last year in college...I imagine it will probably be anywhere from 12-16 this year...perhaps more. Its part of learning the game. It isn't like he was the most accurate passer in college last year...if I remember my stats right he was like 4th or 5th and had almost twice as many ints as Griffen. Dude is going to make mistakes. It is how fast he processes info and learns and grows.

This is a new team playing together for the first time. I could not care less about a few picks at this point! That is why they call it practice!!!

Willy.....

As I've stated in other posts, I'm not the least bit worried about Luck. I was wondering why so many stories from so many media outlets didn't mention these interceptions, or the interceptions that were dropped.... My background is as a media guy. I was wondering more about the coverage.

That's all.... I'm well aware of it's practice. I'm well aware it's Luck's first practice. Of all the posters on this website, you don't have to worry about me and Andrew Luck....

Really. Seriously.

Clarafication on the interceptions can be gleened from a report from Jerry Langston of Coltplay:Luck did not have an interception. He had two possible ints which were dropped. Zbitkowski dropped one and Thomas dropped the other. Stanton threw 1 td to Deji Kareem but he also threw 2 ints. Justin King and Jermale Hines both picked off Stanton passes. Antonio Fenelus intercepted a Vittatoe pass. Maybe Phil of Indystarr thought the passes Stanton threw had come from Luck.

Clarafication on the interceptions can be gleened from a report from Jerry Langston of Coltplay:Luck did not have an interception. He had two possible ints which were dropped. Zbitkowski dropped one and Thomas dropped the other. Stanton threw 1 td to Deji Kareem but he also threw 2 ints. Justin King and Jermale Hines both picked off Stanton passes. Antonio Fenelus intercepted a Vittatoe pass. Maybe Phil of Indystarr thought the passes Stanton threw had come from Luck.

Thanks.... appreciate the 411.... good stuff. And i found reference to Luck's near picks late last night on a story on ESPN.com.... and another poster found other references in other stories on other websites as well.

OK.... so IndyStar either wasn't around as much for the 2nd practice, *or* they put a very, very, very friendly (read: hometown homer) spin on Andrew's first day...

Part of my continuing and on-going education of all things Indianapolis....

For example, yesterday I did some homework and learned Indy is roughly 1800 miles by air from Los Angeles. And roughly 2000 miles by road if you drive... It's gonna be a while before I come see and meet my new Indy friends....

Oh well... but thanks again....

What articles are you referring to? I only see two "reviews" of the first practice, and neither seem to bear much resemblance to what you describe.

-------

http://www.indystar....know-each-other

by Mike Chappell, includes:

"An unofficial tally of Luck's afternoon performance in 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills had him completing 25-of-42 passes with two near-interceptions. He showed good velocity and often dropped the football into tight spots to Wayne and Collie but occasionally misfired. Once, Luck seemed to miscalculate Wayne coming out of his break, throwing behind him."

-------------

http://blogs.indysta...as-oil-stadium/

by Phil Wilson, includes:

"For Luck, it’s a chance to regroup from a shaky Tuesday afternoon minicamp practice, when an obvious truth was revealed: the No. 1 overall pick in April’s NFL draft is on a learning curve and his assimilation to the pro game will take some time."

and

"Reporting on a rough afternoon workout is part of the job. I actually saw some of this as positive. He was confident enough to take some shots and one would think such errors will give him a clearer blueprint on what he needs to work on."

and

"Luck should have hit Wayne on at least two deep balls, both for TDs. The deep sideline out, in which Wayne got behind CB Jerraud Powers, was overthrown. Another deep ball down the middle had too much air in it, hung up there forever, enough time for three DBs to converge and knock it down."

-----

amongst other things in a blog filled with cautious optimism amid repeated acknowledgement that there is a LONG way to go.

So where are the three stories that were "simply glowing about Luck......rave reviews"?

Why the concern that it's a "homer-type newspaper"?

FYI Mike Chappell is a traditional and solid reporter who conveys nothing but honest facts. Phil Wilson is a "blogger" who half the time acts like a big fan who just can't wrap his brain around the fact that they once again let him inside the building. He considers it his job to offer opinions. If you agree with him, he's fine. Otherwise, not so fine. Kravitz is a "columnist" who writes about many things besides the Colts. His mission in life is to say the exact opposite of what "everyone" else seems to be saying, just to anger as many people as possible for the sake of readership, while trying to be funny. I don't find him funny or informative, just irritating.

In total, the Star isn't a "homer" paper at all. That doesn't mean that it's a good paper, at all. It's OK for what it is.

As a "media guy", I thought that you might find the above helpful - but that doesn't change the fact that the premise of this thread is fundamentally errant - ironically much like a Kravitz article.

What articles are you referring to? I only see two "reviews" of the first practice, and neither seem to bear much resemblance to what you describe.

-------

http://www.indystar....know-each-other

by Mike Chappell, includes:

"An unofficial tally of Luck's afternoon performance in 11-on-11 and seven-on-seven drills had him completing 25-of-42 passes with two near-interceptions. He showed good velocity and often dropped the football into tight spots to Wayne and Collie but occasionally misfired. Once, Luck seemed to miscalculate Wayne coming out of his break, throwing behind him."

-------------

http://blogs.indysta...as-oil-stadium/

by Phil Wilson, includes:

"For Luck, it’s a chance to regroup from a shaky Tuesday afternoon minicamp practice, when an obvious truth was revealed: the No. 1 overall pick in April’s NFL draft is on a learning curve and his assimilation to the pro game will take some time."

and

"Reporting on a rough afternoon workout is part of the job. I actually saw some of this as positive. He was confident enough to take some shots and one would think such errors will give him a clearer blueprint on what he needs to work on."

and

"Luck should have hit Wayne on at least two deep balls, both for TDs. The deep sideline out, in which Wayne got behind CB Jerraud Powers, was overthrown. Another deep ball down the middle had too much air in it, hung up there forever, enough time for three DBs to converge and knock it down."

-----

amongst other things in a blog filled with cautious optimism amid repeated acknowledgement that there is a LONG way to go.

So where are the three stories that were "simply glowing about Luck......rave reviews"?

Why the concern that it's a "homer-type newspaper"?

FYI Mike Chappell is a traditional and solid reporter who conveys nothing but honest facts. Phil Wilson is a "blogger" who half the time acts like a big fan who just can't wrap his brain around the fact that they once again let him inside the building. He considers it his job to offer opinions. If you agree with him, he's fine. Otherwise, not so fine. Kravitz is a "columnist" who writes about many things besides the Colts. His mission in life is to say the exact opposite of what "everyone" else seems to be saying, just to anger as many people as possible for the sake of readership, while trying to be funny. I don't find him funny or informative, just irritating.

In total, the Star isn't a "homer" paper at all. That doesn't mean that it's a good paper, at all. It's OK for what it is.

As a "media guy", I thought that you might find the above helpful - but that doesn't change the fact that the premise of this thread is fundamentally errant - ironically much like a Kravitz article.

MAC......

First, take a good long deep breath... you've got yourself way too worked up over nothing.... if you want to prove me wrong, be me guest. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, or the last. I'll >>> up plenty. There. Feel better?

Second, the first story you linked was dated today, 6/13. The stories I looked at were from yesterday, 6/12. Kravitz, Phil Rogers and Phil B. I think you have one of them linked.

I suspect -- though I don't know for sure -- that some of the stories may have been written after the first practice, and not the second. I suspect it was the 2nd practice where Luck had some issues with his throws and receivers.

The Kravitz story is pretty flattering. So is the Phil Rogers story.... that goes through in detail with one completion after another completion after another and another. Does this throughout the story. I think the Phil B has some comments that you note that are more critical. Still, there are positives that he mentions. as well.

Please remember, there was at least one thread -- perhaps more yesterday -- here on this website that not only talked about two interceptions, but also two other passes that were picked, but then dropped.

So, as I was looking for more coverage on-line last night, I checked the star. Didn't see as much negative information as I anticipated. Certainly didn't see any reference to two interceptions. As I stated, I don't know the local papers. If I've mischaracterized the Star, and somehow offended you (most everything I do seems to rub you wrong) then my apologies.

But I think my comment about the stories being very favorable (is that better than glowing?) hold up just fine....

I'm new here. Just a guest. Just making some observations. Some will be wrong. And some will be completely wrong. I chalk that up to the nature of the Internet. Just kinda comes with the territory.

Hope this clarifies things....

I hope people understand that Mr Luck will be throwing interceptions this year.

And every year after. It's practice guys, it's good for players to mess up a little at practice so they can correct it before they start playing games. Luck is getting rave reviews because the practice stats are actually very good but what's putting people in awe is how far ahead Luck is as a rookie. There's many things they don't have to work on because he already knows what he's doing.