Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown is NOT the Clear Cut Starter

Andy

With the Colts cutting ties with Joseph Addai, it seemed that Donald Brown would be the new feature back; that isn't the case and everybody seems to be in contention for the starting job.

Don't think that Donald Brown is easily going to win the job. Since the departure of Joseph Addai, everyone thought that Donald Brown was the unanimous pick; that's not the case.

Running back coach released a statement, that essentially through lots of fans and writters off guard:

"Donald deserves to be No. 1 right now as we go through offseason training," RB coach David Walker declared, per Colts.com. "But we'll see how that unfolds as we get to camp and start hitting, playing against other people in the preseason. ... Everybody wants to be that guy, and we'll give everybody that opportunity to show us he can be that guy."

He's willing to give everyone a shot... that's not good news for Donald Brown. Donald Brown's short career has been filled with disapointment, but last year it finished on a strong point with a few strong games.

Now, as mentioned before, Donald Brown isn't head and shoulders above the competition, which means that it should be a good battle between Carter, Ballard and Brown for the starting spot.

It should also be noted that the Colts are switching to a power running game, and power is something that Carter and Ballard have over Brown. It should get very interesting quick, and this should be a good battle.

In my opinion, watch for Vick Ballard to perform well. I've been saying for a while now that he would be starting mid-season, so with that being said, he should impress as a power back (who also posseses good speed).

This quote changed the offense quite a bit.

Thoughts on the new RB competition?

Is he supposed to say Donald is #1, and the rest are just their to vie for the #2 spot? Usual pre-season gibberish. Means absolutely nothing. What the players do in camp, pre-season and in the real games will decide it all. Not some sound bite from a coach, 12 weeks before week one.....

It changes absolutely zero....

It is healthy competition. All positions should have healthy competition. Luck is slotted for QB but Stanton should be allowed to push him. Hughes and Fuger should push Freeney and Mathis.

Hughes couldn't push Freeney out of the way, let alone take his spot.

Hughes couldn't push Freeney out of the way, let alone take his spot.

I am not saying he could. But he should provide competition. The best competitors start. The second best back up and those who can't compete get cut.

Is he supposed to say Donald is #1, and the rest are just their to vie for the #2 spot? Usual pre-season gibberish. Means absolutely nothing. What the players do in camp, pre-season and in the real games will decide it all. Not some sound bite from a coach, 12 weeks before week one.....

It changes absolutely zero....

Absolutely agree....that said I would not be shocked to see Ballard starting by week 10. There is something I just can't put my finger on but I kinda like this kid's potential.

Maybe starting RB will be a empty title. I think Brown will start some, maybe most, but Carter will get some 2. With Arians , it's possible Brown will be the feature back because he can catch well.

With all the changes and new faces, along with new front office and coaching, I would be very surprised if anyone is or thinks that they are a certainty at any position on the team. This is good as it will bring out effort in everyone as it should. Now also have added faces with 90 in camp, though that just means more people to cut to get back down to 53.

I think we have 8 set starters on the entire team, assuming health:

On offense: Luck, Wayne, Satele, Fleener.

On defense: Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Powers.

On the bubble: Collie, Brown, Redding, Castonzo, McGlynn.

It's no surprise to hear someone say that Brown might not be the #1 back next season. I think he gets a hard rap from a lot of people, mostly because of where he was drafted, but he certainly hasn't lit the world on fire. If Carter or Ballard or anyone else outplays him, they should get the starting job. I think he has the edge, but that doesn't mean anything in June.

I'm looking for Carter to get the start. He is an Arians type of RB, very close to Mendehall in size and speed. I think the fumbling issue will be corrected. I was shocked at how much he fumbled considering how few he had in college. Hopefully with a full offseason, he'll get better.

I'm hoping for Ballard. He sounds like a guy with good production, but simply not enough recognition prior to the draft.

Between Carter and Brown, eh, if anyone of them steps up, it'll be a good thing for us, but I am not holding my breath.

Then again, as awful as our running has been, I have to think that the line is more important than anything.

The line the last few years never got a consistent push to open holes, they were better at pulling though in my opinion, that did open up holes but I think it was because of our O Linemen were slightly more agile but when pulling and trapping we did good it seemed or better at least but in my opinion if you really want to open up holes for the run then Hayworth Hicks will do that for ya better then a Joe Reitz

As poor as our OL has been over the past years DB still has not shown much that the job should just be handled over to him.

To me the only guys who should be assured a starting spot are Luck, Wayne, Fleener, Freeney, Mathis, Powers, and Bethea. The rest should be in a dog fight for their position on this team.

Tom James @TribStarTJames 16m

Coach Chuck Pagano said Wednesday that much-maligned RB Donald Brown will be an every-down back in the Colts' new offensive system.

https://mobile.twitt...420028854636545

It may be just coach speak but Pagano seems more confident in Brown than David Walker, the RB coach.

well according to irsay's latest tweet, we're gonna have a rb by committee

With the Colts cutting ties with Joseph Addai, it seemed that Donald Brown would be the new feature back; that isn't the case and everybody seems to be in contention for the starting job.

Don't think that Donald Brown is easily going to win the job. Since the departure of Joseph Addai, everyone thought that Donald Brown was the unanimous pick; that's not the case.

Running back coach released a statement, that essentially through lots of fans and writters off guard:

"Donald deserves to be No. 1 right now as we go through offseason training," RB coach David Walker declared, per Colts.com. "But we'll see how that unfolds as we get to camp and start hitting, playing against other people in the preseason. ... Everybody wants to be that guy, and we'll give everybody that opportunity to show us he can be that guy."

He's willing to give everyone a shot... that's not good news for Donald Brown. Donald Brown's short career has been filled with disapointment, but last year it finished on a strong point with a few strong games.

Now, as mentioned before, Donald Brown isn't head and shoulders above the competition, which means that it should be a good battle between Carter, Ballard and Brown for the starting spot.

It should also be noted that the Colts are switching to a power running game, and power is something that Carter and Ballard have over Brown. It should get very interesting quick, and this should be a good battle.

In my opinion, watch for Vick Ballard to perform well. I've been saying for a while now that he would be starting mid-season, so with that being said, he should impress as a power back (who also posseses good speed).

Donald Brown will start every game he is healthy. This is a team with very little experience at the running back position. Brown developed nicely last year with very little help from the QB position.He still had to compete with AddaI, who hasnt been the same RB the last few year. Brown will have a decent year, imo.

Donald Brown hasn't proven anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did not start. IMO he is the worst potentiaL "starting" rb in the NFL.

This is a rediculous thing to say, especially considering he's run behind a mediocre O-line his whole career, including last year, when he averaged 4.2 yards/carry.

4.2 YPC is his career average, last year he average 4.8 YPC.

For as poorly as he's performed, it's telling that he has a career 4.2 ypc average, which isn't all that bad.

LaDanian Tomlinson is a career 4.3 ypc runner, which includes a couple bad years toward the end. But he was a Pro Bowler and one of the three best backs in the league in 2005, and his average was 4.3 that year.

Clinton Portis is at 4.4 ypc for his career. Ricky Williams at 4.1 ypc.

Donald Brown isn't as good as any of them, obviously. But when he got opportunities on a regular basis last year, he performed adequately. An average of 4.8 ypc is well above average.

But he's been pegged, not only as a bad first round draft pick, but as a bad first round draft pick by Bill Polian, so that means that he's never going to be any good. Doesn't matter that his play has improved every season, and he's shown the ability to make big plays.

I don't care who starts. What i DO care about is using the talent we have correctly. This is a relatively young backfield and each one does something better than the others, but they can all get better.

This, to me, is going to be on the coaches putting the player in the best situation to succeed as much as it is the player performing well. I don't think we schemed well at all last year even considering the obliterated O-line we had last year. This year i'm expecting all backs getting quality playing time.

As for the RB by committee, every team does that now.

I think I know what you're trying to say, that every team does RB by committee. I'm just don't think that's actually the case.

Most teams have a clear-cut primary back, and a 2nd back who is either a change-of-pace back, or a 3rd down back to catch passes out of the backfield. But, I don't think that's what Irsay is trying to say with RB by committee. At least, I don't think he's saying that. I think he's saying that all three primary guys, Brown, Carter and Ballard could all see extensive action regardless of down and distance and game situation. And I think that's different from what most teams do.

I'm not trying to be overly nuanced here.... just saying there's a difference between the two approaches. Now will it actually work out that way, or will one RB clearly take the position? Way too soon to know....

NewColtsFan

Donald Brown didnt startg the Super Bowl...but he played..

At halfback...on the Colts.,.who starts isnt that important...

With that said... Brown doesnt fumble..he'll start week one

During Super Bowl week Jeff Saturday said in an interview that the Colts had run the football better last year than they had in previous years. He confirmed what I thought I had seen with my own eyes. The stats also confirm this. One of the most misleading stats in football in regards to rushing is total yards. A poor passing team that struggles to convert 3rd downs through the air will have significantly fewer offensive plays and fewer rushing attempts making their total rushing yards low......But the better indicator of how well a team is running the ball is the yards per carry stat. This is a very accurate indicator of what goes on play by play. ..........Last year, even though defenses had no respect for the passing game (and why would they?)...the Colts had a very good regular season yds per carry of 4.2. That was as good or better than several playoff teams including the Packers, Giants, and Patriots. Only ONCE in the last TEN years did the Colts do better (in 04 they had 4.3).....Brown's 4.8 average was exceptional....this is one reason I believe the Colts will be much better a team than most expect...

During Super Bowl week Jeff Saturday said in an interview that the Colts had run the football better last year than they had in previous years. He confirmed what I thought I had seen with my own eyes. The stats also confirm this. One of the most misleading stats in football in regards to rushing is total yards. A poor passing team that struggles to convert 3rd downs through the air will have significantly fewer offensive plays and fewer rushing attempts making their total rushing yards low......But the better indicator of how well a team is running the ball is the yards per carry stat. This is a very accurate indicator of what goes on play by play. ..........Last year, even though defenses had no respect for the passing game (and why would they?)...the Colts had a very good regular season yds per carry of 4.2. That was as good or better than several playoff teams including the Packers, Giants, and Patriots. Only ONCE in the last TEN years did the Colts do better (in 04 they had 4.3).....Brown's 4.8 average was exceptional....this is one reason I believe the Colts will be much better a team than most expect...

Then how does he explain us having Manning for 14 years and not being able to rush the ball ever since Edge left, we have always had significantly fewer rushing plays because Manning was pass happy see Manning is the greatest Colts Quarterback of all time but he should have called more running plays, that could have kept our defense off the field more often

I don't think ANYONE expected Brown to automactically Start since Addai went to New England. Now, he does have an Edge since he's pretty much the Veteran of the RB's. But that still doesn't Grant Brown a Starting Job. I have Faith that Pagano & his Offensive Staff will name the Starting RB based on who they see as the BEST Fit for our NEW Offensive System. IMO