Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

trade scenario

coltsdan

We would be giving up our biggest leader on offense and defense. Not a good plan for a team in transition

we're getting new ones ya know? just playin. i didnt think about that. its not a personel thing, but still a big part of the locker room, good point

actually I think it would be smart (for us), Bowe is a young #1 receiver, Reggies years as a #1 are coming to an end if they arent now as for Freeney and Mathis locker room presence, I never saw Freeney as much of a locker room guy that would take someone under his wing, maybe Mathis but Im not sure and they are going to be playing new positions now and my guess is quite a bit but that trade would never fly we have Freeney now and we might as well see what happens with that, as I said any real good trade oppurtunities came and went with the draft, I will also add I am sure Irsay and Grigson arent even considering a trade at this point with him

why? because of contract length? prices? one side being over talented?

Because, real life ain't Madden. What did the Steelers do with Ward? What did the Texans do with Williams? What did X team do with Y loyal player?

For the Chiefs, Bowe is their best offensive player, who is still on the rise. The Colts would not give two of their franchises best players to bring in another team's prime superstar who is on the rise, because the other team will place a lot of value in their guy, and not a lot in the older, more expensive players coming in.

You just as well replace Bowe with Calvin Johnson in your post, because either one is just as ridiculous. (I suppose more so ridiculous for Johnson, but you get the idea.)

Actually Madden would most likely let that trade happen and also allow us to get KC's #1 draft pick as well...Madden doesn't factor age into the equation, unless they've updated that in newer versions....I still have Madden '11 so I guess that is definitely possible. However, in real life? No, not happening. If for absolutely no other reason than the fact that we just re-signed Wayne and they just re-signed Bowe, so the trade would do a lot of damage to both teams' cap numbers due to the accelerated bonus' for the new contracts that Bowe and Wayne received.

I could see it, Bowe is a deep threat and his production is right on pace with Wayne's and he is younger as well but I would want alot more for just Bowe Im talkin a 3-4th round pick if were throwing Freeney in the deal

I just don't see anyone wanting to take on Freeney's contract. I say let him play this year, and if he's good in the system, re-sign him to a more reasonable contract. If he sucks, he'll be benched and we'll get to see what we have in Hughes, Hickman, and Fugger.

Also no way do I want my guy Reggie leaving. I've already lost my main man, Big P, I don't want to lose anyone else.

Reggie > Bowe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBCPowU9IOg

Not that I'm against the Dutch or anything...... :)

Look, let's just keep Freeney...and Wayne...and get through this year, see what happens and let these guys help our team out in a time of need. They've been here a long time and still have a lot of gas in the tank. The younger guys need veterans to help them out and with all the changes, player and coach wise, we sure could do with some cool heads who've been around the block more than a few times.

Bowe for Wayne and Freeney. Really that makes no sense at all, Bowe is a good receiver but we would be giving up the farm. Wayne and Freeney are up in age but they are still valuable players. That would be a RE RE move.

Ahhh...if only real life was a video game we could trade Hughes for Suh, Brown for Foster, Avery for Rice...oh wait Rice is retired...oh well...probably still a better trade lol. I think you get my point. Who sits around thinking these things up?

Why is everyone saying trade freeney? I love the guy and I believe he could become very good at the 3-4 OLB spot. Also, his future may have been in doubt a month ago, but he's safe for next season. So there is no trading Freeeney and quite frankly, these threads are annoying.

Why is everyone saying trade freeney? I love the guy and I believe he could become very good at the 3-4 OLB spot. Also, his future may have been in doubt a month ago, but he's safe for next season. So there is no trading Freeeney and quite frankly, these threads are annoying.

What I find just as funny is people that love the idea Freeny staying around and us rolling the dice with 14 million $ that he will actually be anything close to a real good linebacker and if he dont those same people that wanted to keep him this year would change their minds the minute he starts making a couple bad plays or tackles, it works both ways, there just happens to be 14 million $ involved in this gamble but I dont gamble so thats just me

If I were you, I'd call the police and report the person that's clearly holding a gun to your head forcing you to read these threads. ;)

There are no guarantees that Freeney is a Colt for the duration of 2012. He could still be traded. I'm not saying that he will but he definitely could be. I think that threads will keep popping up until either A) Freeney signs an extension, B) the trade deadline passes, C) Freeney is actually cut or traded or D) the season ends.

What I find just as funny is people that love the idea Freeny staying around and us rolling the dice with 14 million $ that he will actually be anything close to a real good linebacker and if he dont those same people that wanted to keep him this year would change their minds the minute he starts making a couple bad plays or tackles, it works both ways, there just happens to be 14 million $ involved in this gamble but I dont gamble so thats just me

I wasnt aware we were paying him... I think that is more irsays concern than the fans. Freeney is a beast.. He will be a fine LB im sure of that.. Pagano thinks so as well

I wasnt aware we were paying him... I think that is more irsays concern than the fans. Freeney is a beast.. He will be a fine LB im sure of that.. Pagano thinks so as well

in fairness I dont think he will be playng the position the whole time but even then I wouldnt pay him that 14 million for anything less then 14 sacks, thats a million a sack 14 million is to much for a guy that got 8 sacks last year then again, I learned business comes before sentimental value in some cases, this is one of them, as for us paying him, how do you think he makes that money? sure Irsay signs the checks and pays him, but who pays Irsay? the fans, heck teams from different leagues end up having to leave cause they cant get fans to come to the games or buy there apparel anymore, Dolphins for one

With the 14 million we are obviously paying a premium for the flexibility to have an out after a shorter period of time (think of signing a 6 month lease at an apt. complex). If it doesn't pan out this year, we simply honored the contract that he signed. If he does pan out, we sign him to a more cap friendly deal.

In reality, the cap space doesn't do much for us at this point. The Colts are what they are this year. I am all for paying the premium for the test run this year and letting next year be our splash.

With the 14 million we are obviously paying a premium for the flexibility to have an out after a shorter period of time (think of signing a 6 month lease at an apt. complex). If it doesn't pan out this year, we simply honored the contract that he signed. If he does pan out, we sign him to a more cap friendly deal.

In reality, the cap space doesn't do much for us at this point. The Colts are what they are this year. I am all for paying the premium for the test run this year and letting next year be our splash.

I never heard of a "premium", and signing him to a more cap friendly deal would have to be agreed upon by him, 14 million always does us good, expect the unexpected to happen, maybe a big name gets released

I never heard of a "premium", and signing him to a more cap friendly deal would have to be agreed upon by him, 14 million always does us good, expect the unexpected to happen, maybe a big name gets released

Not sure what you mean by never hearing of a "premium".....it means we are paying more than what he is worth due to lack of acceptable alternatives.....I was using it as a relative term. We are choosing to pay a "premium" price on his one year deal instead of cutting him.

And of course a cap friendly deal would have to be agreed to by him.....hence the pan out comment (which requires his buy in). I am guessing that he has not agreed to extend his contract, and therefore, we are paying a "premium" price for him.

He obviously doesn't have the trade value we were looking for. If a big name becomes available, Freeney can be cut at any time and that player signed. Until then, Freeney is a big name player in a situation of unknowns.

Ill give you an example, Jason Taylor and Asante Samuel both traded for younger talent while they still have/had value

Asante Samuel? He wasn't traded in 2008, he was signed by the Eagles and this year all they got was a 7th ronuder...

Asante Samuel? He wasn't traded in 2008, he was signed by the Eagles and this year all they got was a 7th ronuder...

yes true but Jason Taylor still had value and Im still wondering the reason they traded Samuel, the guy is still a number 1 Corner, having to many great Corners is never a bad thing, although his style of play I think was different, he wasnt much of a press Corner, the Eagles did get Boykin in the draft though and Samuel did have to rework his deal even though it wasnt guaranteed, Falcons got them an absolute steal in the end