Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Literally thank you grigson

Playoffs2013

Just remember all of you people that didn't like this draft, We could've taken a PUNTER in the 3RD ROUND.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, man!!! It is not a bunch of roses and pom poms that every fan should expect other fans to provide. Just saying.

There is this strong urge for fans to hush everyone who does not agree with them or share the same level of optimism with them. Agree to disagree and move on. Dont start off on the wrong foot taking shots.

Outstanding draft offensively, below average draft defensively!!! That is my opinion.

HEY! THAT WAS A GENIUS MOVE BY THE JAGS. (end sarcasm) haha

Laugh it up until that punter ends up winning games with his kicking, then the Jags will be geniuses (genius's genii?) Then you can laugh at all the teams that passed him up.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, man!!! It is not a bunch of roses and pom poms that every fan should expect other fans to provide. Just saying.

There is this strong urge for fans to hush everyone who does not agree with them or share the same level of optimism with them. Agree to disagree and move on. Dont start off on the wrong foot taking shots.

Outstanding draft offensively, below average draft defensively!!! That is my opinion.

Couldn't have said it better. :)

How you fare in the later rounds is the real measure of how good a GM really is. Grigs started off very strong in the early rounds but his picks on the 3rd day seemed more suspect. He admitted to just missing out on a couple of guys that they really wanted. Gotta have an instinct to know when it is appropriate to reach to get the guy you want. But that comes with more experience as there is no exact science to this. He's a rookie too and as such he will take the lessons learned today and move forward. Still it was a very nice draft overall in terms of offense...not much in the way of defense.

i personally still call Kevin Thomas and Rucker rookies because this is their first fair shot to prove what they go to bring to the table..instead of getting thrown into the fire at the end of last season just give them a chance to prove theyself before you crucify them lol

Spot on, but what are ya gonna do? Only 1 pick per round. And Indy is giving Luck every chance to succeed this season. Simply the smart play. Chapman could make this draft special .... but we will see.

The Colts did exactly what they "needed" to do. Help Luck. And they did.

coultn't resist :flowers::cheer:haha have a good day...!!

I agree this was a great offensive draft, which is what I would think makes since with drafting Luck in the 1st. We just couldn't draft every need there were way to many this year, so we didn't gain a lot on defense. I also agree everyone is entitled to their opinion, seems like thats the idea of the forums.

I think it was a great draft. I think people arent giving our D a chance. Last season when the O couldnt stay on the field and score anything it made the D look bad. Gone are the days of that tampa 2 D. I for one think that we gave Luck the best chance to succeed early on.

i personally still call Kevin Thomas and Rucker rookies because this is their first fair shot to prove what they go to bring to the table..instead of getting thrown into the fire at the end of last season just give them a chance to prove theyself before you crucify them lol

I feel good about Thomas. When he got in to play he showed some signs. A full OTA and training camp will help him. If he stays healthy he will be fine. Rucker I don't know seemed lost when he was on the field.

How you fare in the later rounds is the real measure of how good a GM really is.

I could not disagree with this more. The early rounds are crucial. You need to get starters and impact players out of the early rounds to replace the veterans that you lose to retirement, free agency, and general loss of performance with age. If you fail to do this for two or three consecutive years, you end up with what we had with the Colts last season. In the later rounds, you're looking for role players, depth, and the occasional gem that unexpectedly develops into a starter or key contributor. Good drafting in the later rounds can be the difference between a good team and a great team, but poor drafting in the early rounds over time erodes the foundation that made the team good to begin with. You need exceptional drafting (and some dumb luck to boot) in the later rounds to make up for misfires in the early rounds.

Obviously I cannot judge this draft-it will take two years for the results. I can however comment on drafting philosophy and what it looks like the Grigson/Pagano braintrust tried to do. The condition of the Colts as given to Grigs was just one draft removed from an expansion team. Going forward, and ignoring older players who will not be on the roster in 2014 and beyond, this team needed 6 quality starters on offense and five on defense. This is after a productive crop of FA's were brought in, but I do not expect more than one or two of them to be 'quality starters'; they are just holding the fort.

Normaly, in such circumstances, the team in question tries to rebuild as quickly as possible. This is because 1-the coach wants to keep his job, and 2-the owner wants butts in seats. This ususally results in compromise, with the goal of a dynasty replaced with the reality of a 'contender'. This is what we ended up with in the Manning Era. The high draft picks ended after 1999, and the building job was never finished. I don't want this. I want a dynasty. To do that, you've got to be lousy for three seasons, in order to draft the key players that usually demand a Top 15 pick: QB, LOT, CB, DE, FL, while filling the other spots with lower picks.

In his much-criticized tweet that talked about 'it taking nearly six years to win a playoff game' after drafting Manning, Irsay urged patience. He was attacked for inadvertantly discouraging ticket sales, but I really perked up at this tweet. Does Irsay actually want a dynasty, and is he willing to sacrifice in order to get it? For one season, we 'sucked for Luck'; will we now suck two more years for a chance at multiple Super Bowls?

In hopes that Irsay would do this, and furthermore that Grigs and Pagano were on board ( after receiving from Irsay a promise of job protection ), I calculated what the draft should look like. It should be BPA all the way through the fourth round, and then 'promising projects' in the final three rounds. The only proviso that would modify this formula would be that if value was equal, side with protecting Luck by going offense. If some positions were not taken care of by this method, too bad. Drafting for need, and thereby getting less than the best in order to put a serviceable product on the field doesn't cut it.

The Colts are likely to be nowhere near contending in 2012, so what are the immediate goals? 1-Protect Luck 2-Build with the best quality building -blocks. 3-Obtain a Top-2 pick in the 2013 draft, so you can exchange the right to draft a 'franchise' QB for multiple No. 1 picks, like St. Louis did. 4-Use the fact that you will be $38 million under the cap to pick up a few young quality starters.

My view of our draft is that Grigs sided a bit too much in helping Luck, and didn't go for BPA in round 2. Based upon the ratings available to us fans ( not real scouting reports ), It looked like Fleener was the fourth-best prospect at the 34th pick. The selection of Allen at the start of Round 3 was a stunner, but it was a value pick. What worries me there is that Allen is not fast, and I had hoped to have had a better prospect to select there. Usually a top-of-the-third round pick yields a more exciting prospect, so I was a bit disappointed there. In Round 2 instead of Fleener, I would have chosen either Glenn or Upshaw ( since their value was roughly equal, it would have been Glenn, since he would help Luck ).

While I love the T.Y. Hilton and Chapman picks, I was disappointed with the 'developmental round' picks. That may be because even though I visited over a hundred draft sites prior to this draft, I did not find much about Brazill or Anderson. I've got a feeling both will end up stashed on our practice squad. Anderson looks intriguing, but will they develop him at NT or ROT? I knew about Ballard, but at best he's just more depth. With no obvious improvement to the O-Line, we won't be running a lot. I like the selection of Fugger a lot. I knew about him-I think he will be capable of contributing at both LB and DE. Mr. Irrelevant is very mobile and throws a good ball-will likely make the squad as No. 3. Just hope he can avoid the tackle of the woman who promised to give herself to Mr. Irrelevant. STD's interfere with practice.

So-I give this draft a tenative grade of B+. We likely got five qualtiy starters out of it ( QB, H-Back, TE, Slot Receiver and NT ).

Only the first two are likely to be eventual All-Pros. Not quite good enough when picking first in each round. Perhaps only Fugger will be a quality rotational player. Luck will enjoy his new targets, but his O-Line is still incomplete, no top RB, no No. 1 receiver,

2 top DE's will be needed for the future as well as a top OLB, ILB, SS and CB. Lots of work left to do. A decent start, but not great.

How you fare in the later rounds is the real measure of how good a GM really is. Grigs started off very strong in the early rounds but his picks on the 3rd day seemed more suspect. He admitted to just missing out on a couple of guys that they really wanted. Gotta have an instinct to know when it is appropriate to reach to get the guy you want. But that comes with more experience as there is no exact science to this. He's a rookie too and as such he will take the lessons learned today and move forward. Still it was a very nice draft overall in terms of offense...not much in the way of defense.

Because that worked out so well for Bill Polian...

Show me another GM that has 6 super bowl appearences..

I see a team that should have 2 more super bowl wins but had a GM that did not address glaring needs for years due to his smug arrogance. The colts roster is currerntly abysmal. The 2 best players on our team may be playing out of position this year. At the end of the year he is 1-5 in super bowls. Winning is a lot nicer than participating. Jerry Reese has 2 wins. Ill take that over appearing any day.

I see a team that should have 2 more super bowl wins but had a GM that did not address glaring needs for years due to his smug arrogance. The colts roster is currerntly abysmal. The 2 best players on our team may be playing out of position this year. At the end of the year he is 1-5 in super bowls. Winning is a lot nicer than participating. Jerry Reese has 2 wins. Ill take that over appearing any day.

Youre right,,, he was terrible.. I guess thats why he was executive of the year 6 times... His biggest flaw was hiring Mora and the Caldwell..

Youre right,,, he was terrible.. I guess thats why he was executive of the year 6 times... His biggest flaw was hiring Mora and the Caldwell..

Yea not addressing offensive and defensive lines for years weren't his fault. Neither were drafting donald brown, anthony gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollack, Fili Moala, or Quinn Pitcock along with plenty others. Peyton Manning was the end all be all to this time. Covered that crappy draft picks and talent on this team for years. Best thing Polian did was draft Manning. Manning has been carrying the franchise since then.

Funny..that's what a lot of us were saying when we cut all our vets.

Yea not addressing offensive and defensive lines for years weren't his fault. Neither were drafting donald brown, anthony gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Mike Pollack, Fili Moala, or Quinn Pitcock along with plenty others. Peyton Manning was the end all be all to this time. Covered that crappy draft picks and talent on this team for years. Best thing Polian did was draft Manning. Manning has been carrying the franchise since then.

First off, half those picks are from Chris Polian.

Second, Ugoh wasn't suppose to start right away. Tarik retired before Polian planned. Pitcock would have been a flop to anyone. The man developed depression. How would Polian see that.

Third, every star we've had says differently. Peyton did a lot, and I mean a lot. There was other talent however.

First off, half those picks are from Chris Polian.

Second, Ugoh wasn't suppose to start right away. Tarik retired before Polian planned. Pitcock would have been a flop to anyone. The man developed depression. How would Polian see that.

Third, every star we've had says differently. Peyton did a lot, and I mean a lot. There was other talent however.

Can you prove what picks were Chris Polians? All that was seen was 2011 draft was supposedly Chris Polians. We traded backup to get Ugoh he was supposed to start. Pitcock had known depression and as much as they test them that is something they should have known about. If we had talent we wouldn't go from 10-6 where we almost beat the jets in the playoffs to the worst team in football. Who is this other talent?

Can you prove what picks were Chris Polians? All that was seen was 2011 draft was supposedly Chris Polians. We traded backup to get Ugoh he was supposed to start. Pitcock had known depression and as much as they test them that is something they should have known about. If we had talent we wouldn't go from 10-6 where we almost beat the jets in the playoffs to the worst team in football. Who is this other talent?

I know Bill Polian said in an interview that the Ugoh trade was Chris' idea.

Ugoh was not supposed to start year 1. Tarik still had 1 year left on his contract and he was expected to play one more year and then retire. Ugoh was drafted to develop behind Tarik during that year and then take over as the starter the following year after Tarik's retirement. However, Tarik blew those plans up by retiring during that same offseason and therefore Ugoh was forced into the starting lineup a year earlier than he was expected to.

I don't recall reading anything prior to the draft about Pitcock having "known depression". I would find it very hard to believe that he would still have been drafted by Polian if there were any signs at all pointing to possible depression or video game addiction.

Chris has been helping before 2009. Then he fully took over the GM job in '09.

Ugoh was not suppose to start. Midway through camp Tarik said he lost the passion for the game and retired. The Ugoh trade was Chris.

I've never seen Pitcock being known for depression. So if you could show something before the draft he was then please do.

You can't say we didn't have talent because half our team was injured. It happens in the NFL, but that doesn't mean players are not talented.

If I remember correctly 2011 was the draft Bill took back over, and it was a good draft.