Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Packers post game thread

GoColts8818

With our vaunted and highly paid OL and a 250lb QB - it is very difficult to fathom why the Colts would call a QB rollout on 4th and one.

The team needs a heavy short yardage back. Short yardage execution is still an issue for this team,

Besides,  I think we would be in trouble if either Sermon or Goodson had to carry the load on a regular basis.

BTW, Moss looking good in a Bengals uniform

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

Come on man.

He threw 4 ints today, one that was dropped out of our own endzone late in the game.

I agree with you on the 3rd and 1 that Shane messed up and the running play to make the 1st down late in the game was heroic

He Threw 3 interceptions, One was on a Hail Mary are you counting that. Did Manning ever throw 2 interceptions in a game? How about Luck? On the second he made a bad decision in throwing toward Pitman. Mitchell was open but you have to think that AR has zero confidence in MItchell. I would rather have AR throw and interception at this point in his career then be tentative. the bottom line is that the learns. He was really good in the 4th quarter. Shane’s decisions at that point changed the game.

Bradley: coaching for his job. It can't take you an entire half to change the defensive scheme. 

Steichen: can't scheme guys open. Nearly every pass is contested. 

Steichen: you can't take our your best player on 3rd and 1 when he is averaging 9 yards a carry. That option looked like something they have never practiced. 

Richardson: throw to a blanketed Pittman was inexcusable. I was surprised he started the 2nd half. Looked better last year. 

Jaylon Jones: not an NFL corner. Gets picked on every game. Can't make a play. 

General: do the coaches not know we have TEs?

Speed: looked like he was jogging all day. 

Coaching: JT with only 12 runs in a close game is horrendous play calling

Mitchell: you can't drop that 

General: make Willis beat you. He wouldn't have. If that had been Love they'd have dropped 30+

Defense: injuries and poor production from the secondary. Again. 

Thought: trade Flacco to the Dolphins for a corner. 

4 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

You guys crack me up on AR. He is the youngest QB in the league and you want him to win the games all by himself with little or no help including his coaches. Everyone says he has a bad game. By what standard? His staats were 17 for 34 for 204 yards. He had 6 passes dropped that hit his receivers in the hands and Alex fell down on a pass that whould have hit him between the numbers. Catch those passes and he is 24 for 34 for about 280 yards or around 70%. Here is the truth. Ballard cannot or will not evaluate players. Pittman cannot get open past yards. Mitchell appears to be afraid of contact. We do not have a tight end.  All that being said we were down 16 to 3 (it should have been 13-3 but Shawn decided to give Green Bay three points.) AR takes up to the 30 and its 3rd and 1. What does Shane to an option for a 5 yard loss. We then bring in our defective kicker (everyone knows that but Ballard). MISS. AR then takes us down for a TD which would not be possible except for a great run.  Being so young he will make some bad throws but he has to be perfect in his throws because even at that his receivers cannot catch or seperate except for Alex. 

I think that Steichen has been doing this. He needs to take  a step back and make things simple .

Do you guys realize Taylor averaged 8.6 yards a carry today. He should of been more involved.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AR on the road versus AR at home, the ceiling flashed is night and day, it looks like. The only very good thing AR did was convert for a first down on 4th and 11. Need a better QB coach, IMO.

Steichen calls plays like he’s calling it for a seasoned QB, plus too many throws between numbers for my liking. They were just manning up our WRs and no one could really separate lots of times.

At least 9 points left on the field with 2 picks and a missed FG. Not to mention not punting on 4th down twice to make Willis and company go down the field farther, we’re not playing against Josh Allen or Mahomes, Mr. Steichen.

Go with the devil you know, just kickoff instead of an onside kick, and hope Gus and his unit get the ball back with slightly better field position. The D was actually doing a better job the second half. 

JT is not a very good East West back for the catching game or reverses but definitely happy he took outside lanes in a long time. First time I felt Steichen was outcoached considerably.

I think we had to do the onside kick just based on having only two timeouts since we wasted one…and then fair catching at the 5 yard line was a head scratcher once we did force the punt. 

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does anyone in this organization ever get mad at the losing.

Just wait until colts play Steelers and have a QB that can throw deep and run. 

That the problem in a nut shell. What gets the players motivated? The Colts will go out and play lights out against much better teams ie. Kansas City. Yet, look totally lost when getting punched in the mouth by less talented teams. This is coaching from top to bottom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ErraticMelon said:

Bradley: coaching for his job. It can't take you an entire half to change the defensive scheme. 

Hi, you don't have to write the same comment multiple times. I approved one. You can write other comments and we will approve them until 10 are approved. Afterwards, your posts will appear immediately -- they won't need to be approved after 10 are approved.

• Like 1

Defense looked better second half, but it was too late.

Defense fully healthy can’t stop the run. 

Matt Gay needs to be cut tomorrow!

Drops and inaccurate throws cause for a flat offense today.

GB’s Defense took away our deep ball.

Shane did us no favors taking JT out unless he was injured

12 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

You guys crack me up on AR. He is the youngest QB in the league and you want him to win the games all by himself with little or no help including his coaches. Everyone says he has a bad game. By what standard? His staats were 17 for 34 for 204 yards. He had 6 passes dropped that hit his receivers in the hands and Alex fell down on a pass that whould have hit him between the numbers. Catch those passes and he is 24 for 34 for about 280 yards or around 70%. Here is the truth. Ballard cannot or will not evaluate players. Pittman cannot get open past yards. Mitchell appears to be afraid of contact. We do not have a tight end.  All that being said we were down 16 to 3 (it should have been 13-3 but Shawn decided to give Green Bay three points.) AR takes up to the 30 and its 3rd and 1. What does Shane to an option for a 5 yard loss. We then bring in our defective kicker (everyone knows that but Ballard). MISS. AR then takes us down for a TD which would not be possible except for a great run.  Being so young he will make some bad throws but he has to be perfect in his throws because even at that his receivers cannot catch or seperate except for Alex. 

Alec...not Alex

26 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

Damn! is he hurt too? Maybe the athletic trainers need to go also.

NFL dot com lists him with a hip injury and returned marked as OUT

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Next wwwk will be telling to see if Steichen really understands the issue here.

Okay wise one. What’s the issue in your opinion as head coach?

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

NFL dot com lists him with a hip injury and returned marked as OUT

Okay wise one. What’s the issue in your opinion as head coach?

It’s easy. Richardson is still developing. Get back to simplicity. Stop making him out to be an elite QB right now. Taylor averaged 8.6 yards a carry. Why were we not a run first play action team today?

59 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

lol and what was the score 10-0.  It’s points that count not yards.   10-0 is not insurmountable.  We couldn’t move the ball on offense.  Three and outs.  Dropped balls.  Four interceptions.  That really keeps the defense off the field.  Nope it doesn’t.

If they don't get the yards then they can't score....basic football knowledge....so again the defense gets majority of the blame...AR had a bad day but the receivers couldn't catch anything either

19 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

With our vaunted and highly paid OL and a 250lb QB - it is very difficult to fathom why the Colts would call a QB rollout on 4th and one.

The team needs a heavy short yardage back. Short yardage execution is still an issue for this team,

Besides,  I think we would be in trouble if either Sermon or Goodson had to carry the load on a regular basis.

BTW, Moss looking good in a Bengals uniform

That, or we need to "go heavy" in short yardage situations and put a lineman in at fullback and just pound it in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I think we had to do the onside kick just based on having only two timeouts since we wasted one…and then fair catching at the 5 yard line was a head scratcher once we did force the punt. 

We still had to stop them and return a punt, that would not have changed with a kick off

If people are expecting a healthy Richardson to sit at any point this season for Flacco you’re going to be horribly disappointed. This entire season is about seeing what you have with him. This team isn’t winning the SB. If Richardson does well then we may fight for a playoff spot. If he struggles we will go into the off season figuring out where we are with him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

If people are expecting a healthy Richardson to sit at any point this season for Flacco you’re going to be horribly disappointed. This entire season is about seeing what you have with him. This team isn’t winning the SB. If Richardson does well then we may fight for a playoff spot. If he struggles we will go into the off season figuring out where we are with him. 

and change nothing and do it all once again!  rinse and repeat.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

FWIW I think Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell would've been better with a better team... many more games to be played though for EVERYONE to get better 

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like this new DLINE coach has been a failure 

OK , so far you think we need a new DC, new Dline coach, 2 new corners , a free safety and a new GM. Have I missed anything? Change of ownership? Different stadium? New uniforms? Oops...new kicker  and HC

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

OK , so far you think we need a new DC, new Dline coach, 2 new corners , a free safety and a new GM. Have I missed anything? Change of ownership? Different stadium? New uniforms? Oops...new kicker  and HC

Players who can tackle

9 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Watching all these kickers easily making 49+ FGs than seeing our kicker can't do the same sucks.

but he's hurt

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I hope they announce the new GM like WWE announcer

The winner and NEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW General Manager 

wrestlemania x wrestling GIF by WWE

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think that Steichen has been doing this. He needs to take  a step back and make things simple .

Do you guys realize Taylor averaged 8.6 yards a carry today. He should of been more involved.

I don’t want AR throwing more than 20 times a game.  We paid JT to run the ball so let him run it.  Idc if we’re losing the TOP battle, run the ball.  Wait until the 4th qtr (depending on situation) to start thinking about getting quick scores.

I feel like AR is playing too much hero ball and that’s because of playcalling.  We’ve been facing too many 3rd & longs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen is also using AR as a pocket passer. No roll outs to take advantage of his strengths. Take advantage of what he does best.

It also felt like Richardson could pick up some good runs for first downs, but was playing like a pocket passer.   I noticed that, like it was being forced.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

FWIW I think Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell would've been better with a better team... many more games to be played though for EVERYONE to get better 

Do not concur - Leaf was immature and Russell was undisciplined, the former only lasted 4 seasons in the league with 3 different teams, and the latter ate his way out of the NFL in only 3 seasons.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Not bad today, my biggest gripes are the first half defense, the second half looked okay, Franklin, Speed and Carlies were attacking the line of scrimmage(yea). Where were the deep throws? 3 completions over 50 yards last week and just one attempt over 50 yards today(last play of the game Hail Mary). Also the 3rd and 1 option play(HUH). Pierce was in single man press coverage out on the left side, you change the play and send him deep and loft the ball to the goal line. You don't do a stupid option that Green Bay even looked like they knew it was coming, lose 5 yards and then miss a 50 yard field goal. And finally the onside kick(wth) you kick the ball deep get the 3 and out and get the ball back around the 30 instead of the 4. 

The on-side kick just seems like a dumb play anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

The on-side kick just seems like a dumb play anymore.

I don't agree, had we recovered it we would've been near midfield with a hell of a chance. I don't like how the NFL has messed with kickoffs, like making you declare an onside attempt instead of occasionally surprising an opponent with one.