Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Multiple Colts to wear the Guardian Caps

csmopar

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Two for sure and JT is still contemplating it from the sounds of it.

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-te-kylen-granson-s-rodney-thomas-to-wear-guardian-caps-during-season

gotta admit they look weird but honestly if it helps actually reduce head and neck injuries, then it’s worth it

Do you think if you and I both wore them it would reduce the Lebron drama we had? haha

I’m also of the mindset that if the numbers are significant for player safety especially when it comes down to concussions then all players should be wearing them…so many players get knocked out with concussions every year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Do you think if you and I both wore them it would reduce the Lebron drama we had? haha

I’m also of the mindset that if the numbers are significant for player safety especially when it comes down to concussions then all players should be wearing them…so many players get knocked out with concussions every year.

It’s not a miracle device haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Imagine you’re an NFL fan when all they wore was leather caps, and then they came out with the helmet. How dumb it must have looked. 

How many here are old enough to remember Tommy McDonald?

I'm likely wrong, as usual, but - it would seem the protective material/technology could be manufactured into a mandatory helmet in the future. Said helmet might be a tad larger than currently worn, but I think everyone (players and fans) would grow accustomed to it.

• Like 1

I remember the discussions that were being held on the halo in Formula 1 before they introduced it. There were officials and even pilots who thought it looked stupid and would make the cars look ugly and they should keep it away from the series. And in reality... it did look weird... for a about a month and then everybody got used to the look of the cars and it ended up saving multiple lives in the last few years. Romain Grosjean was one of the pilots who had fairly negative opinion of the halo... until it saved his life:

Not sure the new helmets will make that big of a difference but even if it is slightly safer, IMO people will get used to the unusual look and the new technology in those helmets will be in the grand scheme of things positive for the health of the players... 

• Like 2

I think it can protect head injuries, but I foresee more neck injuries as they become more commonly used. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I’m not alone in the thought. The key aspect is going to be finding a way to continue putting pressure on players avoiding head to head contact. It’s not possible to entirely avoid in this sport, but there is still blatant shots being thrown by players dropping their head and throwing their bodies high for that type of contact. I watched the last 5 minutes of the Colorado Buffs game last night and saw multiple head shots that weren’t called or reviewed. It’s going to take a serious effort and larger consequences to continue seeing results. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Passed at 84.  After analysis of his brain - it showed he had CTE.

I’m afraid there has been and will continue being a lot of players with CTE. It’s a far bigger issue than most would think or be willing to believe. Amazing he lived to 84…  

• Like 3

There are new helmets coming out in 2025 for QB's and Linemen, made specifically for those groups. The others are still in development that are supposed to be for other position groups.  The "Muffin Top" might be short lived when the new stuff is available.

• Like 1

I’m not a doctor, but I truly don’t understand how these things help that much. When you were moving in a high speed and you get hit your brain keeps going forward. You can put all the padding on top of a helmet, but it still won’t stop that brain hitting skull issue.

• Like 3

I believe this will end up being an example of the safety-first mentality in our society leading a physical sport to ruin.  The NFL is a sport that will not be the same without that physical element to it.  It is reminiscent of battle to some extent I think, not unlike shield walls, with mechanics that favor elements that factored strongly into humanity's past.  So as it eventually transitions to flag football it will end up losing the market dominance it now enjoys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I believe this will end up being an example of the safety-first mentality in our society leading a physical sport to ruin.  The NFL is a sport that will not be the same without that physical element to it.  It is reminiscent of battle to some extent I think, not unlike shield walls, with mechanics that favor elements that factored strongly into humanity's past.  So as it eventually transitions to flag football it will end up losing the market dominance it now enjoys.

Flag football will not succeed as a substitute, IMO.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see if further studies and usage shows it actually slows down a player, something like that which negatively affects performance. If JT all of a sudden starts averaging 3.0 per carry, I wonder how quickly that guardian cap will be questioned, safety or not. 

38 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Wait, it can’t be physical if players don’t get injured?

7 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Multiple is 2?

7 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Multiple is 2?

3 if JT does it. Article also said others were pondering it as well… so yes, multiple is appropriate at this time

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I’m not a doctor, but I truly don’t understand how these things help that much. When you were moving in a high speed and you get hit your brain keeps going forward. You can put all the padding on top of a helmet, but it still won’t stop that brain hitting skull issue.

You're correct.  CTE is caused when the skull is jarred causing the brain to 'move' (concussive and non-concussive impacts).  Over time the proteins that are released will kill off brain cells.  That's a Readers Digest explanation.  There's a lot more detail.

The Guardian Caps will soften the helmet to helmet contact somewhat, and any little bit helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Race tracks in all of racing have installed safer barriers and race cars all are designed to dissipate the energy of contact to help eliminate the force created by the sudden impact of contact. 

8 hours ago, stitches said:

I remember the discussions that were being held on the halo in Formula 1 before they introduced it. There were officials and even pilots who thought it looked stupid and would make the cars look ugly and they should keep it away from the series. And in reality... it did look weird... for a about a month and then everybody got used to the look of the cars and it ended up saving multiple lives in the last few years. Romain Grosjean was one of the pilots who had fairly negative opinion of the halo... until it saved his life:

Not sure the new helmets will make that big of a difference but even if it is slightly safer, IMO people will get used to the unusual look and the new technology in those helmets will be in the grand scheme of things positive for the health of the players... 

I do some sim racing and man racing the cars that have halos really screw me up. IRL you can alter your eyes focus to look through it or favor one side or the other more but on a screen you really can’t, giant blind spot when I’m searching for the apex on turns lol. But it 100% is a no brainer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I'm not a doctor or a neurologist but I do know that a concussion is caused by the brain slamming against the skull due to sudden impact. Not sure how these extra soft shells stop that momentum.

The padding absorbs the initial force, slowing the rest of the helmet. Go smack your counter top and then do it again with a heavy oven mit.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

The padding absorbs the initial force, slowing the rest of the helmet. Go smack your counter top and then do it again with a heavy oven mit.

Does a bumper on a car impact brain velocity from going forwards.? If so , that bumper is 8 ft in front. Does a 1/2 inch padding in front of the brain have the same result?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lifetime Colt said:

There are new helmets coming out in 2025 for QB's and Linemen, made specifically for those groups. The others are still in development that are supposed to be for other position groups.  The "Muffin Top" might be short lived when the new stuff is available.

I had not known that. Apparently linemen and QBs have been using those position-specific helmets this year; however, no one is talking about them because they do not look too different from the helmets that we are used to seeing.

Judy Batista of the NFL Network was interviewing Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's Chief Medical Officer, earlier this evening. She mentioned that the position-specific helmets have been shown to have better results than the Guardian Caps. Dr. Sills said that all the measures they are taking to address head injuries and soft-tissue injuries seem to have had positive effects this year.

Here are two articles about the helmets you mentioned.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024/04/09/nfl-helmet-safety-approve-eight-more-position-specific-quarterbacks-linemen-2024

NFL approves more helmets specifically for quarterbacks, linemen

The NFL will feature eight more position-specific helmets in 2024, with the goal of protecting players from impacts most likely to occur at quarterback and offensive and defensive line....

https://apnews.com/article/helmets-concussions-quarterbacks-riddell-3b1d1698ec5fbaecf69f5063503637ff

Overall, a record 12 new helmet models were approved by the NFL and the players’ union for the 2024 season. Five of the new helmets tested better than any helmet ever worn in the league. The NFL, in collaboration with the NFLPA, annually conducts laboratory testing performed by jointly appointed biomechanical experts to evaluate which helmets best reduce head impact severity.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2024 at 5:48 PM, twfish said:

Go smack your counter top and then do it again with a heavy oven mit.

I did that and felt no difference. So I went in the basement and head butted the cement block wall with a foam pillow between my head and the wall..Then I did it without the pillow.

What was the question?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, csmopar said:

Two for sure and JT is still contemplating it from the sounds of it.

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-te-kylen-granson-s-rodney-thomas-to-wear-guardian-caps-during-season

gotta admit they look weird but honestly if it helps actually reduce head and neck injuries, then it’s worth it

I'm sure it does, but can't they make helmets with this inside? But they look terrible. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Creekside said:

I did that and felt no difference. So I went in the basement and head butted the cement block wall with a foam pillow between my head and the wall..Then I did it without the pillow.

What was the question?

Now that is comedy.  :lol:

gettyimages-181167801-1024x1024.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 4:56 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Imagine you’re an NFL fan when all they wore was leather caps, and then they came out with the helmet. How dumb it must have looked. 

I think the opposite--I think it looked dumb they didn't do it before--like goalie masks.