Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after 1st Live Action

CR91

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think getting Davis back will ultimately send Bryan packing at the end of camp.  

Bryan is battling for 2nd string to Buckner I believe. Davis was brought in to replace the very ineffective Johnson. 

Running right at Bryan or Johnson is a gifted 3+ yards. 

I give Ballard an F on these 2 roster spots. Hopefully our 7th rounder earns one of their spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

Leonard was dominant for 4 years. The others are no where close to top lb’s. This position has been a weak spot for numerous gm’s!

Okereke is one of the top coverage LBs in the league with the Giants. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

Leonard was dominant for 4 years. The others are no where close to top lb’s. This position has been a weak spot for numerous gm’s!

Shaq was a potentially all-time great WILL. And Oke was a really good WILL the year before he left (was less effective at MIKE, but it seems like he has played well there since going to the NYG).  

But Speed and Frankin aren't really that level of player. I do think it's a potential weak spot on this team, especially in pass coverage.

Plus, both Speed and Franklin are nearing 30. That position group could age really fast. Not really sure who is next up? Simpson? 

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Im never comfortable with depth at any position. Never have been dating all the way back to the 1980s. I’d love to have studs in back up roles at every single but frankly, at some point, the players have to step up into roles when needed. 

besides, I have very low expectations this coming season. Simply cause to me, this is ARs rookie year and it all starts at QB. 

but to your point, none of those names were stars when Ballard drafted them. Yet, they are all above average starters. If there is one position I truly trust Ballard on, it’s the LB position. He’s hit there the most often with OL being second

Two years ago, after letting Okereke sign elsewhere, in favor of relying on Leonard returning to form, which didn't pan out... I thought improvements needed to be made. Yet last year, no significant improvements were made. Leaving us with only Franklin and Speed. they ended up trying to convert Harrison, gave Stuard a couple chances, Olubi saw some action. etc

imo the 2023 LB group left a lot to be desired. Now here we are again, and it looks almost like the exact same group. Perhaps Jaylon Carlies, who seems to be the only new face at LB, can rise up? Otherwise, I'm not very excited

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AKB said:

I think this is one of the better posts breaking down the issues with Bardley. 

I guess the way I see it is this. Bradleys defense is designed pretty much to be middle of the pack. Right? I mean that's what it is in essence. A bend but don't break defense, that can capitalize playing vs a team trying to catch up score wise. The idea is that you get 8 men who can play on the line (we have), and you get some average lengthy corners who can press and play zone. 

there's an argument to be made in defense of balalrd that we are pretty close to having completed that requirement. Brents is probably cb1 once he gets some play time. Moore is the best slot corner in football. (we are missing the other outside corner, and depth)

You need a SS that can play in the box, and who can also cover athletic TEs. (maybe cross?)

And you need a savvy, FS with speed and ball skills ( we have a SS playing FS)

so if his defense could manage holding teams to  around 16th (passing yards allowed) in league, then technically he's at least doing what the defense is designed to do.

what are ur thoughts on this twifish

As much as a bend but don’t break defense irritates a fan it’s not a terrible strategy to an extent. However your defense is on the field a lot and it only works well if you have an offense that can sustain long scoring drives otherwise a tired defense gives up plays. Once again I don’t mind a 4-3 defense that plays mainly cover 3 and quarters. 

However one thing Eberflus did well with the defense that Bradley is utterly failing at is emphasizing tackling. Bend doesn’t break when you aren’t a well tackling team. Or ya know play off so far giving them a first down is a layup for a qb. Our defense broke a lot, I think we were at the top of the league for giving up the most 20+ yard plays. We were also top 5…. In getting scored on last year.

Blackmon to me is much more suited for the free safety role then strong safety. He had his best year last year but I think it was more impart to finally being fully healed from his ACL. I think a FS role is better for his overall health than SS. I think they felt RT2 was going to make a bigger step up last year then he did or else they probably would have kept him at FS.

• Like 1

Hard to just watch us sit back and let the other team complete passes against that soft zone, don't get it. 

We need a stud TE like all of the elite offensive teams in the league.

Not impressed with the Oline as much as others it seems. 

Go Colts!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

After stewing on it for over 24 hours, my reaction to our first preseason game can be summed up thusly:

"Is it possible the reason our passing game looked so good in training camp is that we threw against our own defensive backs?"

No I just think we need more than 4 passes thrown. Defense won most of the camp battles though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

After stewing on it for over 24 hours, my reaction to our first preseason game can be summed up thusly:

"Is it possible the reason our passing game looked so good in training camp is that we threw against our own defensive backs?"

It’s a valid question. This week’s joint practice can tell us even more of the story. 

Before the injury, Richardson showed he was a capable thrower, had good pocket awareness and could learn and even make reads. 

I’m not doubting on him until I see otherwise. 

Now our defensive backfield? I’m just as worried about that group as the rest of us. I think scheme, personnel and health are all playing a role (or lack thereof)…

3 hours ago, tncoltsfan57 said:

Hard to just watch us sit back aIt's hardet the other team complete passes against that soft zone, don't get it. 

We need a stud TE like all of the elite offensive teams in the league.

Not impressed with the Oline as much as others it seems. 

Go Colts!!!!!!

What not to get bout this soft zone? It is what Bradley runs. He ran it at Seattle but he  had way more talent and that defensive scheme was in it's infancy. The NFL has caught on and qbs are to good to run one scheme. I have said it for years.  This team will never win if they continue to employ this D scheme no matter what Richardaon becomes.  It is funny, but many GMs and coaches say its hard to get a lot from the preseason as teams run vanilla schemes. The only thing is   there really a difference from what the Colts run  in preseason and in the regular season with regards to defensive scheming? 

• Like 2

Latu was impressive.  Lewis had a good day too.  The two of them will hold down that DE spot just fine. 

Freeland was brutal at OT.  It’s wide open for Goncalves to take that swing tackle spot.  Freeland got beat multiple times including on the interception. 

I would only carry two QB’s and see which of the three other QB’s they can slide to the PS.  If both AR and Flacco go down the Colts are screwed anyways. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Shaq was a potentially all-time great WILL. And Oke was a really good WILL the year before he left (was less effective at MIKE, but it seems like he has played well there since going to the NYG).  

But Speed and Frankin aren't really that level of player. I do think it's a potential weak spot on this team, especially in pass coverage.

Plus, both Speed and Franklin are nearing 30. That position group could age really fast. Not really sure who is next up? Simpson? 

Okereke really emerged in his last season with us at WILL when Leonard got hurt, he was ok/solid at MIKE up until then. I think Speed is an ascending player at this level, he has great size and athleticism. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a good year. I agree though that depth behind them is worrying. 

You need to get it out of your heads! With Richardson there will always be games where he throws a few head scratching clunkers along with some beautiful jaw droppers. Is what it is. What he does with his feet and how we move with JT is what will bring us more opportunities in the air to make up for his bad reps. There's going to be more than 1 game similar to that Rams game last year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

You need to get it out of your heads! With Richardson there will always be games where he throws a few head scratching clunkers along with some beautiful jaw droppers. Is what it is. What he does with his feet and how we move with JT is what will bring us more opportunities in the air to make up for his bad reps. There's going to be more than 1 game similar to that Rams game last year.

People need to get out of their heads that AR will never be Peyton or Luck and I love AR's potential and think he can be a franchise QB. Peyton is a top 5 QB on any debatable list and Luck despite not having long longevity is top 40 which is still very good. AR does have a chance to become the 4th greatest QB in the franchise, Unitas is 2nd of course. He has a chance to be better than Bert Jones if he can play at a high level for 10+years and much better than Harbaugh.

• Like 4

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People need to get out of their heads that AR will never be Peyton or Luck and I love AR's potential and think he can be a franchise QB. Peyton is a top 5 QB on any debatable list and Luck despite not having long longevity is top 40 which is still very good. AR does have a chance to become the 4th greatest QB in the franchise, Unitas is 2nd of course. He has a chance to be better than Bert Jones if he can play at a high level for 10+years and much better than Harbaugh.

I think AR's ceiling is he is better than Luck. The floor is he is a bust. We need him to A.) Stay healthy, and B.) Hit as a QB. We didn't get much info last year except he has potential to succeed in the NFL. I'm hoping for a big year from him this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

I think AR's ceiling is he is better than Luck. The floor is he is a bust. We need him to A.) Stay healthy, and B.) Hit as a QB. We didn't get much info last year except he has potential to succeed in the NFL. I'm hoping for a big year from him this year.

If he ends up like Lamar I will take it. Lamar is in my top 30 all-time because of his MVP's. His record as a starter is great too.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he ends up like Lamar I will take it. Lamar is in my top 30 all-time because of his MVP's. His record as a starter is great too.

I agree. If he is our version of Lamar for 15 years and we win a SB, then that'll be a major success. I'm hoping starting this year, we make the playoffs every year. You can't win the SB unless you make the playoffs first, and that has been our major problem. AR should give us a shot to keep up with the rest of the AFC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Uh huh more Matt Ryan goggles on! He will be a great player but I think he is always going to have the accuracy issue to a degree. It will improve but I don't think its going to be on a Peyton or Luck level and that's okay. Cam Newton never got on that level as a passer but he was still a force and that was fine enough to get him to the Super Bowl and make a ton of money.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, twfish said:

As much as a bend but don’t break defense irritates a fan it’s not a terrible strategy to an extent. However your defense is on the field a lot and it only works well if you have an offense that can sustain long scoring drives otherwise a tired defense gives up plays. Once again I don’t mind a 4-3 defense that plays mainly cover 3 and quarters. 

However one thing Eberflus did well with the defense that Bradley is utterly failing at is emphasizing tackling. Bend doesn’t break when you aren’t a well tackling team. Or ya know play off so far giving them a first down is a layup for a qb. Our defense broke a lot, I think we were at the top of the league for giving up the most 20+ yard plays. We were also top 5…. In getting scored on last year.

Blackmon to me is much more suited for the free safety role then strong safety. He had his best year last year but I think it was more impart to finally being fully healed from his ACL. I think a FS role is better for his overall health than SS. I think they felt RT2 was going to make a bigger step up last year then he did or else they probably would have kept him at FS.

I think there was a considerable difference between Blackmon's coverage at FS vs. SS, but it could also be that he was finally injury-free (also last season's schedule was advantageous for DBs). 

But if you look at his advanced stats for his four years in the NFL, one of these years is not at all like the others:

stats.JPG

Everytime AR is inaccurate I'm not going to start nashing my teeth about it and comparing him to Stroud every chance I get. And if you know me I was a heavy CJ Stroud drum beater. I'm definitely expecting him to improve but if he's not Peyton or Luck accurate at times I can deal with it as long as he can still pull out wins and keep moving the chains. Sometimes his feet will a bigger factor. I can see some people getting antsy just after 4 passes. Kind of why I wrote what I wrote 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

We saw Luck's ceiling in 2018 after he shook off the post-injury rust. That guy was a legit All-Pro passer when they went on that 10-1 run.

To get that point, Luck had played 3 college seasons, as well as 4.5 NFL seasons (70+ NFL games). 

AR has played in 4 games. We just don't know much about him yet. But I am comfortable saying that AR doesn't have that type of ceiling as a passer that Luck had.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Everytime AR is inaccurate I'm not going to start nashing my teeth about it and comparing him to Stroud every chance I get. And if you know me I was a heavy CJ Stroud drum beater. I'm definitely expecting him to improve but if he's not Peyton or Luck accurate at times I can deal with it as long as he can still pull out wins and keep moving the chains. Sometimes his feet will a bigger factor. I can see some people getting antsy just after 4 passes. Kind of why I wrote what I wrote 

I wonder if the antsy-ness is more than that we only saw 4 passes. It's understandable that he needs more time, but then give him those reps. Otherwise, that's all we really have to go on.

• Like 2

AR rusty?

Rust is a term I would use to describe an established Qb that has had a period of inactivity before returning and playing not so well.

Is AR that guy, or did he simply look like a QB with 4 NFL starts and 13 college starts who has battled accuracy issues?

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

AR rusty?

Rust is a term I would use to describe an established Qb that has had a period of inactivity before returning and playing not so well.

Is AR that guy, or did he simply look like a QB with 4 NFL starts and 13 college starts who has battled accuracy issues?

That's fair. The term "rust" does sort of give him the benefit of the doubt when there's such a small sample of work.

What I was looking for was more in his mechanics. Obviously cause of the surgery, but also because the coaches (including AR's personal QB coach) talked a lot about all of these passing improvements he was making from last year. How they had worked on his mechanics and delivery to quicken his release and have the ability to vary speeds.

It was only 4 passes, but didn't really see that at all. I hope we get to see him play a lot more next game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Okereke really emerged in his last season with us at WILL when Leonard got hurt, he was ok/solid at MIKE up until then. I think Speed is an ascending player at this level, he has great size and athleticism. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a good year. I agree though that depth behind them is worrying. 

Oke emerged at WILL. But the problem was that they had already given Shaq a $100M contract to play WILL.

At the same time, since Shaq was hurt, Zaire had been playing MIKE, so they probably didn't want to boot Zaire out at MIKE. Not to mention he was far cheaper than Oke (at the time). 

But as it turned out, Oke is the best active player in that trio. And then they ended up giving Zaire a 3/$31M contract one year after Oke signed a similar 4/$40M contract. And I think most would agree that Oke is a much better all-around LBer than Zaire.

So out of all the outcomes, the Colts sort of missed out on this one unfortunately. We will see what Speed can do this year. But he's going to be a FA and will be 30 next year. I won't be surprised if they move on from him, but he also might be cheap to retain.

Still, I am surprised at the lack of depth.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's fair. The term "rust" does sort of give him the benefit of the doubt when there's such a small sample of work.

What I was looking for was more in his mechanics. Obviously cause of the surgery, but also because the coaches (including AR's personal QB coach) talked a lot about all of these passing improvements he was making from last year. How they had worked on his mechanics and delivery to quicken his release and have the ability to vary speeds.

It was only 4 passes, but didn't really see that at all. I hope we get to see him play a lot more next game.

I’ll be surprised if he plays much more Saturday since they’re scrimmaging them during the week.

I looked at the Cardinals probable lineup.  Whew, except for MHJ I don’t see much on that roster.  Murray is out.  Zach Pascal is on their team.  

I have a feeling that game is going to be very boring.   

5 hours ago, krunk said:

We watched Manning throw wobbly clunkers the first 5 years and with 100 Int. in those 5 years. A very low bar. He and Luck ran up their W/L records dominating our lowly division. And in Mannings case, what is more pathetic than having all his great Individual achievement MVP's, to go with 7 playoff appearances and not being able to win a Single game? 

He definitely has a Big Head! 

He did beat Rex Grossman though, and how bout that pick six in the SB against N.O.  I enjoyed the ride with him as a rule, as winning is good in the long regular season. But he was "pass happy" and choked plenty in the big games.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

We watched Manning throw wobbly clunkers the first 5 years and with 100 Int. in those 5 years. A very low bar. He and Luck ran up their W/L records dominating our lowly division. And in Mannings case, what is more pathetic than having all his great Individual achievement MVP's, to go with 7 playoff appearances and not being able to win a Single game? 

He did beat Rex Grossman though, and how bout that pick six in the SB against N.O.  I enjoyed the ride with him as a rule, as winning is good in the long regular season. But he was "pass happy" and choked plenty in the big games.

Nice work.  You took a post about a 2024 preseason game, and turned it into a negative post about Manning.  Too bad you didn't work Ballard in as well.  My compliments.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I think there was a considerable difference between Blackmon's coverage at FS vs. SS, but it could also be that he was finally injury-free (also last season's schedule was advantageous for DBs). 

But if you look at his advanced stats for his four years in the NFL, one of these years is not at all like the others:

stats.JPG

Speed is undoubtedly a huge factor for free safety. This is his first year he’s not coming off of a leg injury of sorts so it would for sure tell a lot but he’s been making a ton of plays on the ball this summer like a free safety would. If we won’t cash in on a FS like Simmons I think the best move would be him at FS and Cross or a cheap option at SS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’ll be surprised if he plays much more Saturday since they’re scrimmaging them during the week.

I looked at the Cardinals probable lineup.  Whew, except for MHJ I don’t see much on that roster.  Murray is out.  Zach Pascal is on their team.  

I forgot all about pascal!

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Pierce for Budda Baker.  Starter for starter.  Straight up.  A win win?  Might be.  

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Manning won 2 playoff games in season 6 = 2003 and only had 1 MVP until then which was 2003. He beat Rex Grossman but why not mention he beat Tom Brady and Steve McNair and that powerful Ravens defense before that, and by the way that Bears team had the best defense and SP Teams in the league. Yeah, he threw the INT in SB 44 trying to tie the game up, but it wouldn't of came down to that if, 1. we get that onsides kick earlier, and 2. Freeney was healthy. Reggie also ran a lousy route, watch the play again, Reggie wasn't where he was supposed to be.

You sound like a grouchy old hater Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 2

Honestly I'm in the camp that wonders about Anthony as a passer too.  Not just because of this game but from his whole body of work.  We may have to play him like Cam Newton to win games.

I could be wrong, anyone could be wrong but thats where Im at now.

The rest of the game wasnt super note worthy to me, like what I saw from Latu.  Its been said to death but seems clear we lack depth on defense.  Saints were trying harder to win than us.

• Like 1