Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think Bowers would immediately take Granson's snaps plus some. I don't think Mallory would last on our practice squad - he'd get picked up.

So that's the dilemma.  If you draft Bowers, what do you do with Granson this year?  He's set to count $3M against the cap, and I believe this is his contract year, so I don't think a trade could happen, unless its for a 6th rounder or something.

22 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I know you did not ask me but I am of the same mind. 

I think the Colts’ TEs are better than most believe. I like Granson. I think Mallory is a good athlete and can make plays. I know MAC has limitations but I am not anti him like many are. I think Ogletree has real potential. And plus this is without Woods being such an unknown. 

Don’t necessarily disagree, but the room is just ok.  Can’t pass on a prospect that could be a potential All-Pro (if he’s what reports say he is).

• Like 2

I'm betting that quarterbacks will drop, and everyone will freak out. Just like Levis, people thought he would go in the top of the first. I have the same feeling about a lot of these quarterbacks.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So that's the dilemma.  If you draft Bowers, what do you do with Granson this year?  He's set to count $3M against the cap, and I believe this is his contract year, so I don't think a trade could happen, unless its for a 6th rounder or something.

I wouldn't automatically let him take a spot on the roster, but he'd most likely be the odd man out. I'd probably try and trade him, but more realistically just release him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

No, but I would love that! Is that true? Where did you hear that? I don't think that will happen. I heard that trading Herbert would result in a huge dead cap hit for the Chargers, that would make it nearly impossible to keep or sign other players.

Trade Herbert for JJ & then draft McCarthy. Hmm....

1 minute ago, BCMak24 said:

I understand having more weapons on offense is always good but in reality would we drafting for our 4th wr? because 1-3 is basically set and indy has bigger needs on defense

Depends on how well that rookie receiver does. If we were to draft a WR and it works out, most likely Pierce gets pushed down. 

On 4/24/2024 at 5:22 AM, DougDew said:

What do you mean back with a bang?  PFF rated Hooker 77.3 and Blackmon 68.3 in 2023.   Not a huge difference for a pick 15 and a pick 78? who had "injuries limiting their once all pro careers".  LOL.  But they did not play exactly the same roles.  Hooker was ranked poorly in terms of most stats, while Blackmon pretty average.   Example: Hooker was targeted only 10 times while allowing 8 receptions (ranked 90th).  Blackmon was targeted 44 times allowing 31 receptions (ranked 18th)  There are nuances with the stats though.  Hooker had only 31 tackles for a 75th ranking while Blackmon had 72 tackles for a 17th ranking.  Obviously, Hooker was asked to play FS like a goal keeper on a soccer team, which is about all he could ever do, while Blackmon probably had more different responsibilities.  JMO.

DeJean at 22 or later plus a 3rd round pick would give us probably a better all around FS/SS than either while picking up another player from a trade down.  Not that I'm advocating it.  Just one plausible event in a sea of fantasy drafting.

Brian Thomas or Chop Robinson at 22 would be nice too, IMO. Or even a RT.

Doug….  I do have a response that I’d like to share with you,  but not today.  I think we should all be focused on the 2024 draft and not talking about history.   And that’s my view for the rest of the draft and weekend as well.   So, I’ll try and give you a response next Monday.  Hope that’s ok.  

Cheers!  

NCF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Don't mind you answering at all - I asked because I wanted the discussion.

I just think "very good" is a stretch when it's almost entirely based on hope. I think Granson and Mo are average. Mallory, Ogletree and Woods have upside and have shown a few flashes, but that doesn't make our TE room "very good" in my opinion. Worst case what we've seen from Ogletree, Mallory and Woods is their ceiling (for whatever reason). I hope our young TEs turn out great (don't get me wrong), I'd just like to see it for once instead of basing the team around what we hope. That's also why I absolutely think we need to pick Bowers if he's there at 15.

I am all about making the team better even if it means taking a player at a position that seems to be in good shape. If Ballard and crew deem that with Bowers and he is there to take, make the pick. 

I see it this way though - between what I think is a decent TE room, along with Pittman, and Downs, I think the middle of the field is covered. What they need more of is an outside the numbers WR.   That would be my preference, even if Bowers is available. 

But I know far less than Ballard and his staff. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug….  I do have a response that I’d like to share with you,  but not today.  I think we should all be focused on the 2024 draft and not talking about history.   And that’s my view for the rest of the draft and weekend as well.   So, I’ll try and give you a response next Monday.  Hope that’s ok.  

Cheers!  

NCF

Save it for never.  Its not about history.  Its about some saying presently that a 5 game rookie had a near all pro career derailed by a knee injury.  Nobody knows what any rookie's career would have been after 5 games (see AR today).  To say that a player's ceiling, measured by how he plays today in totality, has been determined by injuries suffered years ago and not by what is his natural and entire suite of football skills are seems biased.  Since its Hooker, I wonder why. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

I understand having more weapons on offense is always good but in reality would we drafting for our 4th wr? because 1-3 is basically set and indy has bigger needs on defense

If they wont be at least second we wont take them with that pick.  There are a few in the class that could be better than Pittman but they may not last to 15

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I am all about making the team better even if it means taking a player at a position that seems to be in good shape. If Ballard and crew deem that with Bowers and he is there to take, make the pick. 

I see it this way though - between what I think is a decent TE room, along with Pittman, and Downs, I think the middle of the field is covered. What they need more of is an outside the numbers WR.   That would be my preference, even if Bowers is available. 

But I know far less than Ballard and his staff. 

I agree, but I only think Bowers is behind Harrison, Nabers and Odunze. I wouldn’t take Thomas, Mitchell or Worthy over him. I’d also be disappointed if we traded back if he was available. 

I get what you’re saying though. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

The only WR spot I'd consider "basically set" is #1 with Pittman, and that's only for this coming year because there are a few WRs in this draft that have a higher upside than Pittman that could challenge for the #1 spot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Save it for never.  Its not about history.  Its about some saying presently that a 5 game rookie had a near all pro career derailed by a knee injury.  Nobody knows what any rookie's career would have been after 5 games (see AR today).  To say that a player's ceiling, measured by how he plays today in totality, has been determined by injuries suffered years ago and not by what is his natural and entire suite of football skills are seems biased.  Since its Hooker, I wonder why. 

Well….  I haven’t made those arguments.   

So I’ll offer my response next week.  You’re free to ignore it.  But I’d like other people here to see it.   At least it would be on the record.  

Enjoy the draft!   

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Who cares?  Keep him, cut him, trade him. He doesn't impact a Bowers decision. He's fine in his role if we don't get Bowers but won't impact the decision 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

As long as we don't draft Oline or DT in the 1st I'm okay with whatever we pick. Hoping Its Bowers or WR tho. Wont be mad if its CB. Also no to Worthy and Q Mitchell.

As much interest as they showed it will probably  be somebody from texas

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

As long as we don't draft Oline or DT in the 1st I'm okay with whatever we pick. Hoping Its Bowers or WR tho. Wont be mad if its CB. Also no to Worthy and Q Mitchell.

You might want to prepare yourself for DT... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could very well be a possibility tonight that we take Murphy if he's there... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You might want to prepare yourself for DT... I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it could very well be a possibility tonight that we take Murphy if he's there... 

Our star 3Tech that this team needs to function is now 30. 

When does age catch up with him?   

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if we go DT with our first round pick 

My first choice is DE , CB, or WR, but Newton or Murphy are tough to push around and bring pressure between the tackles

There are games where they took over 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  I haven’t made those arguments.   

So I’ll offer my response next week.  You’re free to ignore it.  But I’d like other people here to see it.   At least it would be on the record.  

Enjoy the draft!   

Well, the reason the issue is germain to me is because the FS position presently on the Colts has an impact on the draft.  DeJean or even coverage LBers like Cooper may be taken based upon the options afforded us at FS.  My interest does not lie in some perpetual Ballard grievance or defense discussion. 

What would you trade DAL to obtain a FS that earned a 77.3 PFF ranking in 2023? 

Keeping in mind that that FS was ranked poorly in terms of tackles, picks, and targets.  Which infers that he was asked to play Cover 3 goal keeper and played it well, limiting his targets which basically means limiting his picks and tackles.  Which is basically what he played as a rookie prior to having a knee and other injuries years ago.

What is the value of that player on our defense, where the deep safety was a problem last year?  He has a mid-level vet contract to go with that 77.3 ranking....which means DAL probably thinks there are limits to his game that has nothing to do with speed enough to play the deep FS role.  Would you give a 4th rounder for that type of play and the contract he's earned? 

I think I would.

I would probably prefer trading for Malik Hooker with a 4th round pick than to use more cap space to sign a simmons or diggs, or use a high drat pick to pick a prospect like DeJean.  Provided that we don't ask Hooker to play a role that's different than the deep FS role that he's played since entering the NFL. 

He could work well in this defense, but his lack of appearance in any other aspect of the game would mean we would need to improve the underneath coverage of the LBers and SS, and perhaps Kenny has to at least maintain his play.  

So Cooper in the 2nd, and a 4th for Hooker?  And work on the SS coverage best we can?  Lessening the need for a DB at 15?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

My first choice is DE , CB, or WR, but Newton or Murphy are tough to push around and bring pressure between the tackles

I agree. It will need to be addressed sooner rather than later. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And I wouldn't be upset at that at all.  

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I just think "very good" is a stretch when it's almost entirely based on hope. I think Granson and Mo are average. Mallory, Ogletree and Woods have upside and have shown a few flashes, but that doesn't make our TE room "very good" in my opinion. Worst case what we've seen from Ogletree, Mallory and Woods is their ceiling (for whatever reason). I hope our young TEs turn out great (don't get me wrong), I'd just like to see it for once instead of basing the team around what we hope. That's also why I absolutely think we need to pick Bowers if he's there at 15.

would be nice to have a kelse or gronkoski type tight end

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Imagine Buckner next to Murphy for the next couple of years on passing downs.  Honestly I think he'd have more of an immediate impact than an edge rusher would.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Personally….  I’m hoping and praying you’re wrong.   I don’t even think Murphy is a Ballard type of player. He’s not tall or long or rangy or athletic.   He’s a 6’1” 300 pound ball of muscle.   I’m not saying he’s not a good player, he is.   But CB has never drafted or signed a player with that body type or athletic background.   

Is it possible the Colts draft Murphy?   Yes.  I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen.   I’d be scratching my head forever.   Just my two cents.  

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Some vague comments from Ballard in his end of season presser about mixing in coverages. So, not really.

yeah pretty much what I figured.  If they are going to start mixing up coverages and running more man coverage, then sure grab a CB in the first.  If they're going to continue being a mostly zone team regardless, then no, no round 1 CB.

14 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

yeah pretty much what I figured.  If they are going to start mixing up coverages and running more man coverage, then sure grab a CB in the first.  If they're going to continue being a mostly zone team regardless, then no, no round 1 CB.

I don’t expect it. If they do take one, maybe it’s because they play on utilizing him differently, so I won’t be upset. I just don’t think it’s going to happen. I might be less shocked with a tackle drafted tonight honestly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally….  I’m hoping and praying you’re wrong.   I don’t even think Murphy is a Ballard type of player. He’s not tall or long or rangy or athletic.   He’s a 6’1” 300 pound ball of muscle.   I’m not saying he’s not a good player, he is.   But CB has never drafted or signed a player with that body type or athletic background.   

Is it possible the Colts draft Murphy?   Yes.  I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen.   I’d be scratching my head forever.   Just my two cents.  

I can see your position and why. That's why I say it's possible for him to be drafted by Chris, not maybe not probable. It really won't be determined until the draft starts and we see where the top picks fall. 

But I could just see us in a specific situation where perhaps Bowers and the top CBs are already gone by 15, and there's Murphy. Do we trade back or do we take him? 

It's going to be a very interesting chess match tonight. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Byron Murphy becoming popular pick for us. Is he a generational talent?? AKA, Donald. Not quite sure how I would feel about this pick honestly. 

I have noticed this too,nothing against Murphy he is a good player,but I’m hoping for a WR or atleast the TE Bowers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Daniel Jeremiah has 5 QBs get taken off the board before us and having us land Bowers at 15. Jeremiah is not to sleep on, he can be very accurate with his inside information. 

I was waiting for his mock today. Some interesting picks but nothing quite as exciting as him predicting the Texans trade up to 3 and them getting Stroud and Anderson. The most interesting one is him giving JC Latham to the Chargers at 5. I expect them to get an OT but I thought it would be Alt. Lets see... 

Another interesting thing - Brian Thomas Jr drops all the way to 28 to the Bills. There has been some rumors about him having a shoulder issue that would need to be addressed surgically at some point. Possible he falls. Latu falls to 27 too... I guess health related again. 

Worthy and Mitchell go 31 and 32 to the 49ers and the Chiefs... Urgh! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you hoping it doesn't happen because he doesn't fit the Colts profile? Or because you don't think he'd be a good player for us?

I agree that he's not a Ballard type of prospect, and for that reason, I doubt we draft him. We only have one DT who's shorter than 6'4" -- Adebawore is 6'2", he was drafted in the 4th round, he's an outlier athlete, has really long arms, and I think he's probably more of a DE/DT hybrid. Drafting a 6'0" DT/3T, especially in the first round, doesn't seem like something Ballard would do.

But I think Murphy is a really good player, and a really good athlete, despite his lack of size. His speed and explosive numbers are great for a player his size. His tape looks good. He fits our defensive scheme. He led all interior DL prospects with a 19.6% pressure rate. He hates being blocked, and plays like he lives his life for the sole purpose of defeating offensive linemen. 

I am not comparing him to Aaron Donald. But before the 2014 draft, I said Donald was the kind of guy you just draft and figure it out, whether he fits your scheme/profile or not. In no way am I saying Murphy is as good as Donald was, not even as a prospect, but I think he might be good enough to apply the same logic. Put him in a gap shooting front and let him disrupt. 

I would not mind if we drafted him at all. It would be a big surprise, but I think he's a really good prospect.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll be scratching me head forever if the Colts pass on him, and he turns out to be Aaron Donald. 

I know you're big on "measurables". I remember back in the day arguing with you about Braden Smith being able to play RT because his arms weren't long enough. Don't get me wrong, I know measurables certainly play a part. But I still take the player and his skillset over his measurements. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Murphy IMO is not a Ballard type only on one count really - he's not long enough. He's short and squaty... he's bit like Grady Jarrett. But I disagree that he's not rangy or athletic. He's really athletic and really explosive for his size... but yeah... if I had to bet... I would bet against us drafting him. 

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I like our TE more than most. That would not stop me from drafting a really good TE prospect. 

I might not like Bowers as much as everyone else does. But he'd probably still be our best F TE right away.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. It will need to be addressed sooner rather than later. 

Not this year with the 1st pick.  We need an impact starter with our pick.  My goodness.  We’re at a spot where we can get one.  DT can wait until next year. At least with our 1st rd pick.

• Like 2