Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The thing that gets me.   Who is the person reporting that we are calling about trading up getting their information.  We know it isn't from the Colts front office

Any new circulating, or almost all is coming from agents leaking to the press to position their clients.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Matt Waldman who was dead on with his analysis of Josh Downs last year, listed

Xavier Worthy as the 4th best WR in this class and a franchise level receiver. 

• He Notes that Worthy can be a small slot because of his toughness. 
  • He also lists Worthy as having elite caliber elusiveness. So he is not just fast, he can make people miss and is very adept at avoiding contact.
  • He lists Comps as Isaac Bruce & Desean Jackson.

"Worthy makes a lot of difficult catches. His tracking with his back to the ball is up there with Rome Odunze. His weight falls in the range of Isaac Bruce and DeSean Jackson and like those, his toughness at the catch point belies his size. He’s fearless and wins targets that bigger receivers lose at the boundary, over the middle, and against hard contact."

Worthy got a dog in him like Hilton and downs except  he faster than both

• Like 2

Just now, Lifetime Colt said:

Any new circulating, or almost all is coming from agents leaking to the press to position their clients.

Teams aren't telling agents they are looking to move up or down though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

How does he trade for Aiyuk and trade up to 9-ish at the same time?

I don’t think Aiyuk is going to cost a 1st rd pick.  That’s why I think the trade happens Friday.  I think if Ballard was going to use our 1st rd pick to trade for him he would have done it by now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think people do forget that AR coming off injury. This could be like the Nelson year. They may go OT to make sure Richardson is protected.  This maybe their greatest need

Yes.  People also forget that Luck lacerated his kidney on a scramble and his shoulder while snowboarding, so the Oline didn't have much to do with his major injuries either (they just like to blame the oline as a way of blaming Grigson), and that didn't stop Ballard from wanting to protect Luck by drafting Nelson and Smith.

But having said that, I think 15 is too high for a RT at this point.  We could go RG later in the draft and leave Smith at RT.  I was just spitballing as to potential value picks with a trade down, considering its a reportedly good OT draft.  Getting 5 really good players along the oline would seem like a Ballard thing to do, especially considering how the contracts would be staggered.

I'd be fine if our first pick was starter quality RT, but would hold my nose if it was at 15.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t think Aiyuk is going to cost a 1st rd pick.  That’s why I think the trade happens Friday.  I think if Ballard was going to use our 1st rd pick to trade for him he would have done it by now.

I agree to a point.  A player that's going to require a high contract might get had for a mid rounder, but that's still a lot of capital to give up in one draft.  Not sure if SF would want more for Ayuik.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  People also forget that Luck lacerated his kidney on a scramble and his shoulder while snowboarding, so the Oline didn't have much to do with his major injuries either (they just like to blame the oline as a way of blaming Grigson), and that didn't stop Ballard from wanting to protect Luck by drafting Nelson and Smith.

he was sacked 41 times his rookie year and 41 times in 15 games the last year of Grigson… after massive contracts and failed draft picks dished out. So, while what you say is correct, it is also correct than Ryan Grigson failed miserably to protect this franchise’s greatest asset.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

he was sacked 41 times his rookie year and 41 times in 15 games the last year of Grigson… after massive contracts and failed draft picks dished out. So, while what you say is correct, it is also correct than Ryan Grigson failed miserably to protect this franchise’s greatest asset.  

We've been through this.  Luck was last or nearly last in the NFL from snap to release time.  Held the ball longer than almost any QB in the NFL.  People conveniently ignored that reality.  Frank's offense got him to release the ball sooner, which also made Ballard's shiny new oline look good too.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agree with a lot of this... Sometimes I even wish he would be less physical and make a few more business decisions, like TY used to make. Because Worthy would regularly try to run over people or gain extra yards with the knowledge he will suffer a hard hit and he still does it. There are some very ugly reps where he gets thrown around by defenders like a ragdoll, because he didn't slide down or go out of bounds and I can't help but think... he should probably have spared himself that one. 

He needs work on his hands usage off the snap. I am sure Reggie could help with that.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We've been through this.  Luck was last or nearly last in the NFL from snap to release time.  Held the ball longer than almost any QB in the NFL.  People conveniently ignored that reality.  Frank's offense got him to release the ball sooner, which also made Ballard's shiny new oline look good too.

Luck also had OCs that called a lot of 7 step drops.   People conveniently leave that out as well

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree to a point.  A player that's going to require a high contract might get had for a mid rounder, but that's still a lot of capital to give up in one draft.  Not sure if SF would want more for Ayuik.

They probably wanted more but I think they lost some leverage after the Lions signed their WR today. A mid round pick and Pierce might make them happy.

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Luck also had OCs that called a lot of 7 step drops.   People conveniently leave that out as well

Sure, but it wasn't just the oline.  Luck's forte was being a long baller, even in frank's offense the last half of 2018, and a scrambler.  He wasn't exceptionally accurate in the short passing game.  Sounds like a description of AR.

Ballard saw the need to improve the oline and added three positions then.  I would not be surprised if there is a RT or a RG selection sometime in the first three rounds, which is something more than backup quality talent, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They probably wanted more but I think they lost some leverage after the Lions signed their WR today. A mid round pick and Pierce might make them happy.

So use two picks in the same draft to make trades.  Pick 46 or 83 to trade up to 8 or 12 to take Turner, and give SF a 4th for Ayiuk whilst paying him on an extension?   Possible I guess.

Leaving the Colts with either a 2nd or 3rd, and a 5th and a 6th.   Hmmm, I'd be surprised if Ballard does that.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sure, but it wasn't just the oline.  Luck's forte was being a long baller, even in frank's offense the last half of 2018, and a scrambler.  He wasn't exceptionally accurate in the short passing game.  Sounds like a description of AR.

Ballard saw the need to improve the oline and added three positions then.  I would not be surprised if there is a RT or a RG selection sometime in the first three rounds, which is something more than backup quality talent, IMO.

Yes,  I'm sure an online player will be drafted.   

Grigson did a bad job of building an oline in lucks early years.   Lucks last year was his best imo.  He had clean pockets.  Too bad it took so long to get him protected 

4 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I would love this move! Position of need and instantly boosts our roster. One less thing to worry about at pick 15. 

Higgins has asked for a trade as well.   What's going on in Cincy?

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Hendrickson is a beast

Really?  I thought he was one of those guys who beat up on bad teams but disappeared against playoff teams.  He'd probably do well next to Defo though.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Grigson did a bad job of building an oline in lucks early years.   Lucks last year was his best imo.  He had clean pockets.  Too bad it took so long to get him protected 

Same question I’m asking. It’s no coincidence though as Chase was extended today. I’m assuming there was a deadline on an agreement to extend or restructure and that date/time have passed. 

Ridiculous timing as their trade value lowers AFTER the draft. Someone will get some solid players for a very reasonable price. Assuming they can take on their salaries. 

14 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I would love this move! Position of need and instantly boosts our roster. One less thing to worry about at pick 15. 

Also played for Charlie Partridge in college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I hated Bruce arians offense for that reason.  Why on earth would you continue to make the qb hold the ball longer and you know the oline is trash.  

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Same question I’m asking. It’s no coincidence though as Chase was extended today. I’m assuming there was a deadline on an agreement to extend or restructure and that date/time have passed. 

Ridiculous timing as their trade value lowers AFTER the draft. Someone will get some solid players for a very reasonable price. Assuming they can take on their salaries. 

Cindy doesn't have to honor the request.    But it seems odd 2 players at the same time ask for a trade

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Weird timing.  Wonder if clearing some space with Buckner was prompted a bit by under the table talking (dare I say tampering) with Hendrickson.  I've got my tin foil hat on.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

We could still keep our 15 because we have to pay him.  May have to give up our second and maybe a late round pick but I’d do that instantly for Hendrickson.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Really?  I thought he was one of those guys who beat up on bad teams but disappeared against playoff teams.  He'd probably do well next to Defo though.

I don't think you get to 79 total pressures (including 20 sacks) by only beating up on bad teams. DeFo was our best pass rusher and had 52 total pressures for reference. Ebukam had 48.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Oooh, that's good point!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smittywerb said:

I hated Bruce arians offense for that reason.  Why on earth would you continue to make the qb hold the ball longer and you know the oline is trash.  

According to Doug, it was lucks fault for the OC calling 7 step drops behind revolving doors on the o line

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Cindy doesn't have to honor the request.    But it seems odd 2 players at the same time ask for a trade

Something isn’t adding up for sure. Ballard tried for Hunter, albeit younger…..think he kicks the tires on Hendrickson?

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Its what Arians did. 

But Luck never seemed to want to be a dink and dunker anyway.  He started 2018 dunking it around, and we went 1-5.  Then he opened it up and made a name for guys named Inman and Ebron as the year wore on, finishing 10-6.

AR is supposedly a long baller and not much of a dinker.  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Weird timing.  Wonder if clearing some space with Buckner was prompted a bit by under the table talking (dare I say tampering) with Hendrickson.  I've got my tin foil hat on.

Ballard even mentioned him by name in the pre draft presser.

As quality guys Partridge has worked with, JJ Watt, Trey Hendrickson...

• Like 1

Just now, adubb84 said:

Something isn’t adding up for sure. Ballard tried for Hunter, albeit younger…..think he kicks the tires on Hendrickson?

I’d do it, he’s 29.  Could get 4 more years out of him.  Right in line with when we have to pay AR.  Wouldn’t be bringing him back anyway so we could possibly draft his replacement or look for one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Connecting the dots. I’m sure Ballard would consult with Partridge on the move. It just makes TOO much sense. Question is.. does Ballard agree? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think you get to 79 total pressures (including 20 sacks) by only beating up on bad teams. DeFo was our best pass rusher and had 52 total pressures for reference. Ebukam had 48.

Oooh, that's good point!

But I thought he disappeared in the playoffs each year.  Maybe he still pressured.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Cincy is about to pay $85M a year for two players. Makes things hard

Just now, adubb84 said:

Connecting the dots. I’m sure Ballard would consult with Partridge on the move. It just makes TOO much sense. Question is.. does Ballard agree? 

Like I posted above, Ballard mentioned Hendrickson his last press conference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Ballard even mentioned him by name in the pre draft presser.

As quality guys Partridge has worked with, JJ Watt, Trey Hendrickson...

And Ballard was supposedly looking at Hunter from Minny, so maybe he's been eyeballing vet EDGEs.

• Like 1