Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Network playing replays of Luck's rookie yr

• ChuggaBeer changed the title to NFL Network playing replays of Luck's rookie yr

He just had that IT factor that can't be taught didn't he! Never felt like we were out of a game when he played no matter how many points we were behind.....and that was from that moment he threw his first ball for the Colts. He seems really happy with life these days but there seems so much of his career left on the table that could have been.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

He just had that IT factor that can't be taught didn't he! Never felt like we were out of a game when he played no matter how many points we were behind.....and that was from that moment he threw his first ball for the Colts. He seems really happy with life these days but there seems so much of his career left on the table that could have been.

Yeah it's criminal we broke him.

He could've potentially still been our QB today...

It's a shame he so loved the deep ball that he took all those big shots, plus he relied so much on running the dang ball and more big shots.

Harbaugh flat out lied pre-draft saying that he could make all the throws.

His rookie year it was WTH with these poor simple bubble screen passes, and then 3 years of hundreds of inaccurate short throws. 

It was fun beating the tar out of Jaxs and the Texans and other weak teams. 

He was barely above .500 otherwise.

Yes I would rather he didn't quit but, you win some "playing like a LB", and He risked all playing like one.

In the end, he took the $$$ and was still able to run. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It's a shame he so loved the deep ball that he took all those big shots, plus he relied so much on running the dang ball and more big shots.

His rookie year it was WTH with these poor simple bubble screen passes, and then 3 years of hundreds of inaccurate short throws. 

Yes I would rather he didn't quit but, you win some "playing like a LB", and He risked all playing like one.

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Now I miss Andrew Luck :(

True but I watched the Colts Lions game with Luck and the next day the Colts Rams game with AR and that guy is going to do many good deeds for them and their fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It’s amazing how little you know about Andrew Luck.   He didn’t love the deep ball.  His offensive coordinator did.  Bruce Arians.  Luck came from Stanford which ran the West Coast offense, you know, throwing short.   

Arians and Pagano were old school coaches who believed in the big chunk play offense.   

As for everything else, not a surprise you decide it was all Luck’s fault.   You’ve only been selling that for over 10 years.  It’s impressive to be THAT WRONG for THAT LONG!   Bravo!!   

• Like 7

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

True but I watched the Colts Lions game with Luck and the next day the Colts Rams game with AR and that guy is going to do many good deeds for them and their fans.

I hope Anthony Richardson learns the lessons that Robert Griffin III never learned. Even very talented quarterbacks can be eaten up by big, powerful men focused on destroying him.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As a rookie, Luck took out a loaded Lions team at Detroit that had Stafford in his prime on it. Luck the flip to Avery for the walk off was classic. Colts win at 34-33.

THAT game and THE Chiefs playoff game are the ones I will cherish from his career as a Colt forever.

• Like 3

My top 5 Luck games:

1. 2013 season = 28 point comeback win vs the Chiefs in the Playoffs 45-44.

2. 2014 season = beating the Broncos in Mile High in the Divisional Round. Luck had to face a good secondary + Von Miller and our Peyton on the other side. That win put us in the AFC Title Game.

3. 2012 season = Chuck Strong Game. Packers were great that season and had Aaron in his prime. Luck to Reggie was just too much! Colts were down big, came back to win 30-27.

4. 2012 season = The Lions game at Detroit. Stafford in his prime and the Lions were good that season. Luck wins it to Avery with a walk off 34-33.

5. I have to throw in a 2018 game right? Colts destroy the Texans and Watson in the Playoffs at Houston. Luck made the Texans defense look like a bunch of Putz's chuckling homer simpson GIF

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also the game against Green Bay, Chuck Strong. Luck to Reggie was unstoppable. 

That was a great one.

It was one of those NBA games where the bulls were simply going to give it to MJ and everyone get out of the way... Lol

Reggie was catching anything thrown in his direction that day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

THAT game and THE Chiefs playoff game are the ones I will cherish from his career as a Colt forever.

AL stretching into the end zone with useless McGlynn laying flat on his face is an all time great memory.

Andrew could look down field and feel the pass rush around him. Knew when he needed to step up, or roll out.

He had great pocket presence.  If he would've slid like a Qb, instead of taking on defenders and trying to run over them, who knows how long he could've played.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Andrew could look down field and feel the pass rush around him. Knew when he needed to step up, or roll out.

He had great pocket presence.  If he would've slid like a Qb, instead of taking on defenders and trying to run over them, who knows how long he could've played.

He is a top 50 QB of all-time (50 out of thousands says a lot) and I can say that without even blinking based on his stats, wins, and talent. Despite the longevity factor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My top 5 Luck games:

1. 2013 season = 28 point comeback win vs the Chiefs in the Playoffs 45-44.

2. 2014 season = beating the Broncos in Mile High in the Divisional Round. Luck had to face a good secondary + Von Miller and our Peyton on the other side. That win put us in the AFC Title Game.

3. 2012 season = Chuck Strong Game. Packers were great that season and had Aaron in his prime. Luck to Reggie was just too much! Colts were down big, came back to win 30-27.

4. 2012 season = The Lions game at Detroit. Stafford in his prime and the Lions were good that season. Luck wins it to Avery with a walk off 34-33.

5. I have to throw in a 2018 game right? Colts destroy the Texans and Watson in the Playoffs at Houston. Luck made the Texans defense look like a bunch of Putz's chuckling homer simpson GIF

For me, the very first Peyton vs. Andrew game at Lucas Oil was absolute perfection of a game. High emotions, fans all coming together to thank their hero, feeling the electricity when we all realized our fledgling team was able to hang with the Super Bowl contenders. Luck dodging and throwing perfect strikes… Pat laying the hammer on Holliday! All on a Sunday Night Football game where all of America was watching. We were one hell of a team that night. And shouting while Peyton was at bat was just surreal. We were so trained to be quiet while he went to work lol…

• Like 3

Just now, RollerColt said:

For me, the very first Peyton vs. Andrew game at Lucas Oil was absolute perfection of a game. High emotions, fans all coming together to thank their hero, feeling the electricity when we all realized our fledgling team was able to hang with the Super Bowl contenders. Luck dodging and throwing perfect strikes… Pat laying the hammer on Holliday! All on a Sunday Night Football game where all of America was watching. We were one hell of a team that night. And shouting while Peyton was at bat was just surreal. We were so trained to be quite while he went to work lol…

Yeah the 2013 Sunday Night Game. That was a great game. Mathis with a huge strip sack on the GOAT.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 12:40 PM, IinD said:

Yeah it's criminal we broke him.

He could've potentially still been our QB today...

No body broke him.....except himself.

He didn't play safe or have the mental drive and toughness to be a true Franchise QB. 

• Like 1

I think one of my favorite plays was him running and getting tackled and delivering an absolute dot to Moncreif for a TD against the bengals. He was an absolute difference maker.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No body broke him.....except himself.

He didn't play safe or have the mental drive and toughness to be a true Franchise QB. 

I was just talking with someone about this yesterday.. he missed a season and a half with us.. came back to a great o-line. but wasn't the final nail in the coffin an injury by himself, then he just lost love with rehab and the game? 

Imagine if Joe Burrow just retired next year lol it's been about the equivalent career thus far am i right?

On 4/6/2024 at 7:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

It’s amazing how little you know about Andrew Luck.   He didn’t love the deep ball.  His offensive coordinator did.  Bruce Arians.  Luck came from Stanford which ran the West Coast offense, you know, throwing short.   

Arians and Pagano were old school coaches who believed in the big chunk play offense.   

As for everything else, not a surprise you decide it was all Luck’s fault.   You’ve only been selling that for over 10 years.  It’s impressive to be THAT WRONG for THAT LONG!   Bravo!!   

There’s a reason I blocked him. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 4:34 PM, throwing BBZ said:

It's a shame that Grigson could not put a team around him so he could become one the greatest QB's of all-times. FIXED IT FOR YOU. 

The greatest WR that Luck ever played with was Reggie Wayne for 1 year who Polian drafted. TY Hilton is the only WR that was any good at all that he played with. Luck played with Bums at the RB position except Gore and Gore was out of his prime by 2015. Our O.Line was awful the whole time Luck was a Colt as well. Without Luck, the Colts don't even sniff a winning season in that era as in winning 9 games. We were always good for 11 wins with Luck and winning a playoff game, that was automatic on a rosters that were average at best.

49 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The DET game is easily one of my favorite all-time Colts memories. I can still see the pass to Avery with no time left. It's burned in my brain.

One of my favorite memories of that game...the image of a beaten Stafford on the sidelines with his chin in his palm and his cap backwards.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

One of my favorite memories of that game...the image of a beaten Stafford on the sidelines with his chin in his palm and his cap backwards.

Me too and he looked in awe at how Luck won that game. Luck was always better Stafford at that point and he was just a rookie. Luck would have gone down as a top 10 QB of all-time had he not retired. 

• Like 1

No, it wasn’t all Lucks fault. It was the perfect storm of bad everything that caused it.  

A QB that thought he could play like a LB and carry the entire tea

A QB who injured himself more in off season snowboarding than he did playing football. 

a GM and HC that let him play like that and expected him too

An OC known for 3 step drops and deep balls for the first few years of his career.

A HC that knew little about modern football and thought it was the 1980s(Reich wasn’t much better)

and OL for most of his career that couldn’t block an 80 year old grandma.

all of that contributed. Luck wasn’t entirely at fault, but he does honestly share some portion of his own demise physically. That said, some of the very things that led to his shortened career like his style of play is what made him great while it lasted. Problem is, that kind of play isn’t and wasn’t sustainable against modern NFL players and hits. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too and he looked in awe at how Luck won that game. Luck was always better Stafford at that point and he was just a rookie. Luck would have gone down as a top 10 QB of all-time had he not quit.

Maybe so

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"had he not quit" Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- even ol' Homer was smart enough to catch that change haha . I guess in a way he did quit if you want to be blunt about it. 

Hehe just testing you…

It's rare that I disagree with you, my friend.  But I would like to add a caveat to your comments.

It's true that Bruce Arians ran the Zampese/Air Coryell offense -- while he was with the Colts.  However, he left after the first year to be the head coach of the Cardinals, and was replaced by Pep Hamilton, Andrew's OC from Stanford.  And Pep ran the West Coast Offense, at least according to the Pro Football Reference site.  (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2013.htm)

If memory serves, they only retained Pep for two and a half seasons, and replaced him with Rob Chudzinski.

My own belief is that even when running the West Coast offense, Andrew's primary receiver was undersized with a small catch radius.  This required him to create more separation.  Which resulted in longer routes, and longer time for Andrew to sit in the pocket, waiting for the play to develop.  Also, this primary receiver was the only guy who could create downfield big plays.  Which means that Andrew had two reasons to sit extra-long in the pocket, waiting for the play to develop.  Behind a line that wasn't all that good at protecting him for an extended period of time.

At least, that's how I look at it.  Not saying you were "wrong", just adding a caveat.  :) 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

It's rare that I disagree with you, my friend.  But I would like to add a caveat to your comments.

It's true that Bruce Arians ran the Zampese/Air Coryell offense -- while he was with the Colts.  However, he left after the first year to be the head coach of the Cardinals, and was replaced by Pep Hamilton, Andrew's OC from Stanford.  And Pep ran the West Coast Offense, at least according to the Pro Football Reference site.  (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2013.htm)

If memory serves, they only retained Pep for two and a half seasons, and replaced him with Rob Chudzinski.

My own belief is that even when running the West Coast offense, Andrew's primary receiver was undersized with a small catch radius.  This required him to create more separation.  Which resulted in longer routes, and longer time for Andrew to sit in the pocket, waiting for the play to develop.  Also, this primary receiver was the only guy who could create downfield big plays.  Which means that Andrew had two reasons to sit extra-long in the pocket, waiting for the play to develop.  Behind a line that wasn't all that good at protecting him for an extended period of time.

At least, that's how I look at it.  Not saying you were "wrong", just adding a caveat.  :) 

For what it’s worth, I don’t like Pep Hamilton.  Not as an OC, not as a play caller, and certainly not as a human being.   Bad coach, worse dude.   And I felt that way when we hired him.   

I think he might be currently coaching in one of those weird fringe leagues.  XFL?  UFL?    

And please don’t ever apologize for disagreeing with me.  I’m perfectly fine with that.   You and I might not always agree, but you make fair arguments and that’s what is important to me.   We’re good! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, I don’t like Pep Hamilton.  Not as an OC, not as a play caller, and certainly not as a human being.   Bad coach, worse dude.   And I felt that way when we hired him.   

I think he might be currently coaching in one of those weird fringe leagues.  XFL?  UFL?    

And please don’t ever apologize for disagreeing with me.  I’m perfectly fine with that.   You and I might not always agree, but you make fair arguments and that’s what is important to me.   We’re good! 

My goodness,  what did Pep do?

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My goodness,  what did Pep do?

Well….  I never liked him as a play caller or OC.    Even at Stanford.  Wasn’t happy when Indy hired him.  

As for what he did….   

Way back when, around the time Luck came to Indy….   Stanford had two key assistants both going for the job of head coach at Vanderbilt.   Pep was Stanfords OC and Derek Mason was Stanfords DC.   

Mason got the job.  Everyone at Stanford was thrilled for him.  Except Pep.  Who didn’t say congrats at all.  Pep’s public comment was that the job was offered to HIM but that HE TURNED IT DOWN!!  

Pep burned a lot of bridges that day.  If he hadn’t, he’d likely still be welcome to coach at Stanford.   But he’s not.   

Personally, I think the best thing he has going for him is he checks the box as a minority hire.  Harbaugh has hired him a number of times.  I think once at SF, and I believe TWICE at Michigan.  But I don’t believe he’s been a full coordinator.  He gets a title but with his responsibilities become less and less.  

I’ve sat on this story for more than a decade.   Not sure I would’ve said anything if you hadn’t ask. 

Great Colts player. Certainly one of our most exciting. Gave us his best including his health (mental and physical). I hope he can overlook those who still feel like he stole their firstborn. Wish him nothing but happiness. 

• Like 1