Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

It’s not about people ignoring what Ballard has done. It’s acknowledging what Ballard has done hasn’t been good enough. It’s acknowledging that we are in a better position than ever (because of AR’s rookie contract) to get some difference makers. 

I don’t think people REALLY expected any different, but I think a lot of people were hoping Ballard would actually try an bring in some players that would move the needle for us. 

With AR an unknown quantity, despite some delusions, this isn't the offseason to spend on bringing in "better" players to replace other starters.  The teams that are doing that are closer to the Championship games than the Colts are, IMO.  I would not be upset by Ballard doing nothing more until the draft, aside from filling up holes with new JAGS to replace the ones we lost.

Of course, the Colts haven't ever been close enough in the past 7 seasons to justify the big spending, IMO, so its never been upsetting to not have seen it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s not about people ignoring what Ballard has done. It’s acknowledging what Ballard has done hasn’t been good enough. It’s acknowledging that we are in a better position than ever (because of AR’s rookie contract) to get some difference makers. 

I don’t think people REALLY expected any different, but I think a lot of people were hoping Ballard would actually try an bring in some players that would move the needle for us. 

The question is Always,  is the timing right.

If you are going to move the needle is the player young enough to be here for the fabled SB run.

Paying $15M for a late 20's 30ish safety that can help you challenge for a big playoff run makes since, only if the Team is ready for it.

We don't know if we have a QB, we are lacking at all levels of our D.

So with a great draft, another year of experience playing together on D, next year could be the time to stretch the cap to make a multi-year run for a SB run.

7 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

dont forget who we played also... This is a big reason why some parts of the team excelled... 

we play 6 games against the same opponents again, just saying.  

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. The more I think about it and from what Chris has said about the WR room (and now that Pittman has been signed), I think he might be taking an edge in the first round. 

That is unless we do something in the next week or so. 

Maybe we give the Chargers a couple late round picks for Bosa that locks him into the last 2 years of his contract.  There is no year 2 guaranteed $$!

For those keeping score at home, this is where we stand at the moment. 

What do we think is our biggest need now as we kick off the new league year in a few hours? For me, I think it's safety, edge and backup QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

For those keeping score at home, this is where we stand at the moment. 

What do we think is our biggest need now as we kick off the new league year in a few hours? For me, I think it's edge. 

Getting back to Colts needs, their greatest gap in talent, Without question, is free safety. There’s a few out there still. I’m looking for a signing today. 

I see were re-signing Ronnie Harrison.

I'm OK with our situation at SS with Cross and Harrison. I thought Cross was good at SS when given the oppertunity, struggled against HOU in the last game, but that was at FS. But don't see much drop off from Blackmon to Cross. Harrsion is a solid backup.

I'd like to sign a vet FS though.

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

I'm OK with our situation at SS with Cross and Harrison. I thought Cross was good at SS when given the oppertunity, struggled against HOU in the last alright, But don't see much drop off from Blackmon to Cross. Harrsion is a solid backup.

Another Colt back Ballard is running it back lol.

Just now, chad72 said:

Justin Simmons, Justin Simmons, say it with me. :) 

I feel like the Titans will out bid them.

Just now, JediXMan said:

The Titans, if they had a choice, might go for Sneed that is younger than Justin Simmons, I am hoping. :) 

WalterFootball's take on the Davis signing.  Maybe doesn't know the details of the contract.

Colts sign DT Raekwon Davis (2 years, $14 million): C- Grade
This is a perplexing signing. The Colts just retained Grover Stewart to continue to play next to DeForest Buckner, so it’s a surprise that they wanted to pay substantial money to another defensive tackle. They did so by bringing in Raekwon Davis, who is not worth substantial money. Davis is a solid run stuffer, but offers nothing as a pass rusher. I don’t understand why the Colts made this decision.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With AR an unknown quantity, despite some delusions, this isn't the offseason to spend on bringing in "better" players to replace other starters.  The teams that are doing that are closer to the Championship games than the Colts are, IMO.  I would not be upset by Ballard doing nothing more until the draft, aside from filling up holes with new JAGS to replace the ones we lost.

Of course, the Colts haven't ever been close enough in the past 7 seasons to justify the big spending, IMO, so its never been upsetting to not have seen it. 

You have to bet on him being the guy. If you wait 2-3 years to be sure you've basically wasted his rookie contract. You build to get better now and if AR doesn't work out, you draft a new guy and try again - that's where we are, no more vet place-holders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Another Colt back Ballard is running it back lol.

Titans have over 70 mill in cap space. They will sign Simmons or trade for Snead .

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would love to have Simmons

older but plays at a very high level

This team needs the vet FS that can mentor the room

Simmons is a rah rah guy as well

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Titans have over 70 mill in cap space. They will sign Simmons or trade for Snead .

titans also lack talent so what do they have to lose … 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Plenty of space, they're going to need to do something to slow down Stroud and Houston. 

I'm curious to see how that offense will work with Callahan and Levis. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I'm OK with our situation at SS with Cross and Harrison. I thought Cross was good at SS when given the oppertunity, struggled against HOU in the last game, but that was at FS. But don't see much drop off from Blackmon to Cross. Harrsion is a solid backup.

I believe they probably plan to play Harrison at LB

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

And he won’t be that expensive as he’s 30. If he signs for around 5 or 6 mil per season elsewhere Ballard missed out yet again. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Blackmon is definitely gone then if you’re re-signing Harrison before him. I figured he’d be the odd man out. We need to add a veteran FS as well.

Indy needs both Blackmon and another veteran safety as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Plenty of space, they're going to need to do something to slow down Stroud and Houston. 

I'm curious to see how that offense will work with Callahan and Levis. 

Levis sucks. And I figured they have closer to 60 mil left after signing 4 guys already to an average of 8 mil per season. They started with close to 85-90 I believe. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Levis sucks. And I figured they have closer to 60 mil left after signing 4 guys already to an average of 8 mil per season. They started with close to 85-90 I believe. 

either way, they still trash and won't be good no matter who they sign!!

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I'm not going to jump and say he sucks just yet. BUT, I will say Brian is going from Joe Burrow who was so intelligent with the playbook that they were able to quickly install a version of the Peyton Manning offense, to someone who is definitely not up to that sort of speed. 

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Blackmon’s is replaceable. Good but not great. I thought he was bad against the run. I think Cross can step in there and hold it down. I’d rather get Jeremy Chinn to play at SS/LB on a 1 year deal, and then get Justin Simmons on the backend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

And he won’t be that expensive as he’s 30. If he signs for around 5 or 6 mil per season elsewhere Ballard missed out yet again. 

Don't quote me on that but I think someone mentioned Blackmon has scrubbed everything Colts related from his social media. No idea if this means much... 

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Blackmon’s is replaceable. Good but not great. I thought he was bad against the run. I think Cross can step in there and hold it down. I’d rather get Jeremy Chinn to play at SS/LB on a 1 year deal, and then get Justin Simmons on the backend.

Chinn is gone. Simmons, Diggs, and Blackmon are the best available safeties. 

45 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Getting back to Colts needs, their greatest gap in talent, Without question, is free safety. There’s a few out there still. I’m looking for a signing today. 

Definitely FS.  I’m hoping for Kamron Curl.  Only 25 years old.  For me Simmons is too old and too expensive.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You have to bet on him being the guy. If you wait 2-3 years to be sure you've basically wasted his rookie contract. You build to get better now and if AR doesn't work out, you draft a new guy and try again - that's where we are, no more vet place-holders.

If you sign a free agent he needs a season to adapt so you are not getting his best. 

Then you throw in the history of FA's most typically only lasting 2 years after they sign, perhaps then you can comprehend the problem.

Ballard and other wise GM's that have rosters with as many holes as we have are most interested in young 25ish free agents that have a higher probability of being part of a SB run like in our case, and it's a wild * dream today, in 2-3 years. 

JMO that so many here really didn't know what they were seeing in the playoffs from the final 8 teams. We are a very well coached team with below .500 talent. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Wait did we just agree on something?! Dang when was the last time that happened 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Definitely FS.  I’m hoping for Kamron Curl.  Only 25 years old.  For me Simmons is too old and too expensive.

Same, Curl is my target today. He'd be an instant starter for us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Are the Colts the only team in a division flanked with 3 other teams that all have no state income tax?

Florida, Texas and Tennessee have no State Income Tax.

Probably not

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Are the Colts the only team in a division flanked with 3 other teams that all have no state income tax?

Florida, Texas and Tennessee have no State Income Tax.

I'm sure there are others? There's only 9 total states with no income tax:

Alaska

Nevada

New Hampshire

South Dakota

Tennessee 

Texas

Florida

Washington

Wyoming

Edit: Nope. I think we're the only team that's the odd man out. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I'm sure there are others? There's only 9 total states with no income tax:

Alaska

Nevada

New Hampshire

South Dakota

Tennessee 

Texas

Florida

Washington

Wyoming

But they are not all in the Colts' division, that is what I am getting at.

We have the misfortune of having all the other 3 divisional teams in a state with no income tax. I don't think any other NFL team has that

@csmopar that is what I was referring to.